• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Angriest Shinobi (M.A.S): Serious Business!!! 11/14/09 Winthrop Harbor, IL

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
Don't worry about it. I'll be glad to play you guys in doubles, my Lucario and Link would love to face them.

Now I need to figure out if Sponge can still give me a ride or not.
Oh, for sure. Just PM me an actual address so I can google maps the entire trip beforehand. I'm lazy like that, shut up.

In other news, unless Dietz needs one again this time, I'm looking for a doubles partner. Maybe not. It all depends on whether or not my friend still wants to come. I'm pressuring him, but idk.

Pools is part of the tournament. You get put in a 'pool' or group of 5-6 people. Every person plays every other person once in a 2/3 set and the 4 people with the best records move on into the bracket.
AKA, you play more games for $10 than I have in these past tournaments for $20 :p I'm not bitter - I'm also getting more games out of it :D!

EDIT: Turns out my first full week of work wasn't on this paycheck (lol $25 bucks, woo), and the banks screwed me over with overcharge fees (Went 30 cents over, no joke, got charged 35, put 17 in, put the check in, checked online and I had $7.) so instead of having lots of cash for MMs, I now need to borrow money just for the tournament.

Today's been a bad day.

JJROCKETS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JJROCKETS
3DS FC
5129-2280-4196
Sponge: I am looking for a doubles partner, so if you can't find anyone else I could team with you. (I would be using Dedede, but I suck on teams XD)

So: with pools now, what time do you think the singles tournament will end at?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Oh, for sure. Just PM me an actual address so I can google maps the entire trip beforehand. I'm lazy like that, shut up.

In other news, unless Dietz needs one again this time, I'm looking for a doubles partner. Maybe not. It all depends on whether or not my friend still wants to come. I'm pressuring him, but idk.
I'll PM it to you later tonight.

If Deitz doesn't need one I could be a good partner.

**** RedRyu, get a better bank. Mine charges $5 overdrafts.

I'm excited for this. Bird of Prey incoming.
uhhhh....what?

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
The tournament should end like at 10:30

Also, Jdietz wanna do Mario vs. Luigi for $1 or $2?? I want revenge!

Edit: That offer goes out to you too YoshQ, if you want

Second Edit: :mario2: > :luigi2:
Sure thing, it looks like Im gonna be doing mm's all day. I can't even keep track anymore so just walk up to me and slap a buck on the table if your one of em.

Two Seven words.

Airdodge into fully charged up tilted fsmash LOL
:D Wah...

@Fitzo: I'll fite you all day dude. And if I can get my usual doubles partner we will definitely be up for some games.

@Sponge/Ryu: I'm gonna try to get my usual doubles partner to this, but he might not be allowed to.

Moozle

Smash Champion
Dang i'm visiting my brother at school during this. Good location for me, too :mad: There better be more!

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
iight i made up my mind. we're doing pools for brawl singles (might do melee singles pools as well. pending entrants and interest). all players in pools will play 2/3 matches. with normal brawl rules used, except time has been dropped to 6 mins . ties will be played out. top 16 advance to the final double elimination bracket. that bracket will be seeded appropriately NO JOHNZ!!!

brawl singles pools will start after brawl doubles is completed and break was had. i'm guesstimating around 3:30 pm.

i'm like half sleep right now. so this will be added in the first post later tomorrow. :psycho:

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Well we might want to wait to see what our turnout will be before we make any decisions about the size of the bracket - I'm bringing a few newcomers, not to mention the newcomers who already said they'd come, so there's going to be a pretty big turnout. We'd be cutting a lot of people out if 40 came and we only did a 16 man bracket. Sure, pools will be more competitive, but we already have the brackets, which offer great competition - even more so if the brackets will be seeded. You wouldn't have to make a big adjustment if you waited until we know the turnout, because Tio does all of the work anyways.

Anyways if you do decide to go with a 16-man bracket I'm cool with it. One thing about pools though - I think every pools match I've played was only 2 stocks instead of 3, to make it go faster. If you keep it 3 stocks but only have 6 mins, then we're going to get a lot of time outs - a lot of matches go that long even if neither opponent is trying to time the match out. There are a few people here who've been to more tournaments than I have, you might want to ask them.

Arty

Smash Lord
If there is a big turnout (40+ people), a 16 man bracket is such a dumb idea. A 32 man bracket probably takes maybe an hour longer, so time is not really an issue.
Also 3 stock 6 minutes??? There will be ALOT of games ending in a time out, some even intentionally because of the 6 minutes.
I think 2 stock pools into a 32 man bracket is by far the best idea.

Edit: And LOL at Wafles randomly telling Red Ryu to get a better bank :laugh:

Wafles

Smash Lord
If there is a big turnout (40+ people), a 16 man bracket is such a dumb idea. A 32 man bracket probably takes maybe an hour longer, so time is not really an issue.
Also 3 stock 6 minutes??? There will be ALOT of games ending in a time out, some even intentionally because of the 6 minutes.
I think 2 stock pools into a 32 man bracket is by far the best idea.
Listen to arty.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Wafles: First I suggest you edit your post (it's kinda rude imo). No I am NOT ********!!! And not EVERYONE thinks my idea is a DUMB (especially those that understand we have a lot of time running the tournament, but want to get things done in a timely manner).

During CoB tournaments, running pools with a 32 man bracket afterwards made **** DRRRRRRRRAAAG, bout time we got to Grand Finals at EVERY SINGLE TOURNAMENT. There was zero hype (except me yelling and acting like an idiot - trying to create said hype) and people just wanted to get the crap over with. I DO ****ING NOT, want any of my tournaments to wind up like this. Remember I was the one who pushed to have MAS moved to November (instead of starting in December like I was asked to do). AND I AM THE ONE DISHING OUT THE MYSTERY POT BONUS (which is gonna be pretty nice, especially if we DO get a huge turn out). And please don't get me started on how running POOLS WAS OUT OF THE QUESTION AT PAUL'S ARCADE.

We cannot take this new venue for granted. This will be our first tournament there. And as me ALSO being an employee of the venue, I have to make **** sure we all do well and get **** done in a timely manner (filled with fun and excitement...it's my JOB afterall).

And threatening not coming to this makes me sad man. I want you and everyone else to come to this tournament. :( But I have to make tough decisions like these to try please everyone (see below). If you see me on AIM we definitely can talk it out. We have a little less than a week to carve things in stone.

Arty: Please take some of what I said to Wafles and understand where I am coming from. But...

I don't want any match to be gayed with time out. So yeah I'll put it back to 8 mins time. Playing a full 3 stock match 2/3 set in pools is fine. Especially if there is going to be a 16 man bracket afterwards. I can't see how people could not GET THE MOST PLAYABILITY out of this format. People should be happy, that now they get to play more Brawl instead of going 2 and out at tournaments (only bracket, no pools at all). And YES, hell ****ing YES - I want pools and etc. to be more competitive. So if pools -> 16 man bracket delivers that, then what is the problem...other than more people get cut out? Play your best. Play to win. No worries.

DLA: Not only have I been to more tournaments than everyone. I have ran more tournaments than everyone I know. Especially outside of Smash. And lemme say this. Running smash tournaments is the HARDEST ever (of all fighting games). Cause a good T.O tries to please EVERYONE. Not just the tournament players. But also staff at venues too (do you guys realize how much *** I had to kiss at screenz). A good T.O has to find the perfect medium to make everything run as soom as possible. With the least amount of complaining from everyone. ;) But I think you hit the nail on the head. We really don't know how many people are gonna come to this tournament. It could be very big, and it could not. So we'll probably have to play it by ear. I'll figure it out hopefully.

I do think having 40 or less people, and doing pools for a 32 man bracket is horrible and it DRAGS. 50+ people, doing pools for a 32 man bracket is definitely better. My point is it doesn't feel like u are running through the same amount of people when the time comes to run brackets. Good example coming up:

EVO 2009 had over 300+ entrants (possibly a whole lot more) for Street Fighter 4 and that tournament IS VERY VERY EXPENSIVE (well the are in las vegas after all lol), and they did pools (and there pools were bracket based too) all the way to top 8...i repeat top 8. That **** waz hyped beyond words (especially if you were there). And every single person must play to win, or it totally wasn't even worth it. My point here is they wanted to weed out as many people as possible. Pools is used to eliminate a great amount of people (not to run the same people through a bracket again, dunno why smash has to be the exception), but at the same time give players a decent amount of play.

So guys consider all this ****. I'll definitely think about what u all have/have to said/say (respectively). People keep posting your ideas. And tell me what you would like to see. I'll make the ABSOLUTE FINAL DECISION ON MONDAY (night).

Okay go.... :)

If anyone wants to talk to me on AIM my user name is: devildigimon

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
I'm not a HUGE fan of 16, but I understand it's necessary. I like the idea of keeping pools as competitive as possible (I don't want to get THAT sandbagged against :p). If almost everyone is guaranteed to the be in the brackets except for That Guy who loses every match, what's the point of even trying during pools?

All around, I think 3 stock 8 minutes for pool play, and top 16 going into brackets is the best way. Seriously though, I don't know why everyone would react so negatively to it. Play to win even during pools and you won't have a problem... unless you're not that good, and to be honest, running pools is supposed to knock you out of the running regardless.

Is the actual bracket portion still going to be double elimination, then?

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
I'm not a HUGE fan of 16, but I understand it's necessary. I like the idea of keeping pools as competitive as possible (I don't want to get THAT sandbagged against :p). If almost everyone is guaranteed to the be in the brackets except for That Guy who loses every match, what's the point of even trying during pools?

All around, I think 3 stock 8 minutes for pool play, and top 16 going into brackets is the best way. Seriously though, I don't know why everyone would react so negatively to it. Play to win even during pools and you won't have a problem... unless you're not that good, and to be honest, running pools is supposed to knock you out of the running regardless.
THIS!!!

Is the actual bracket portion still going to be double elimination, then?
You betcha. ;)

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Well I never meant to imply that I've been to more tournaments than you, or that I don't appreciate the **** you go through to get these tourneys up and running (cause you know I appreciate it :p), but I'm just saying that I've never seen pools with 3 stock matches. Some may be able to tell you better than I can though.

As far as the brackets go... I agree with Arty 100%. And sure, EVO had an 8-man bracket, but that's really not typical. It was a national tournament, and a lot of people who traveled there planned on making some money in brackets, no matter what size it is.

This tournament, on the other hand, would be considered a local tournament, with maybe 10 serious players. The rest of them are here to have fun and see how much they've improved, and they know that their chances are bad to win any money - they just see it as spending $10 so they get to play in a tournament. If it's only a 16-man bracket, then very few of these casual players actually get to play in the tournament itself. I didn't make it out of the pools once, and I can tell you that it made me feel like **** - I was even considering quitting Brawl.

Now imagine 24 people feeling like that; they might not take it as hard as me, but they may feel like the $10 they spent was kinda pointless. They may not want to go to any more tournaments, which means smaller turnouts. Trust me, you don't want to alienate the casual players; these are the people that make Brawl events fun.

If you want to make a smaller bracket for your huge February tournament, then that would be a bit more wise; even if few of us make it into brackets, we can all say we've had fun at your M.A.S. tournaments :p

Sago

Smash Lord
What the **** webster? Top 16 advance? Are you ********?
We have time for top 32. Top 16 is dumb as all hell, and NO ONE likes that idea.
Im someone and i like it :(

Well I never meant to imply that I've been to more tournaments than you, or that I don't appreciate the **** you go through to get these tourneys up and running (cause you know I appreciate it :p), but I'm just saying that I've never seen pools with 3 stock matches. Some may be able to tell you better than I can though.
I dont think i have ever actually played in a tourny with less then 3 stock 2/3 pools? And i have been to my fair share of them.

KenniSpam!

Smash Master
Sago. Here are the facts.

No one likes the 16 brackets.
You like the 16 brackets.
Therefore, by the transitive property, you are not someone.

Jkjkjk don't hate

Quaz

Smash Master
Hey Webster man, I say we give the 32 bracket a chance if we get 40+ people. You have a bigger venue, more space, etc. I know Screenz was big too, but we had a lot of other tourneys being ran as well.

I'm not gonna be entering any brawl tourneys, but I'll make sure to get a couple setups or 2 and make sure we get things going. I'd love to help run pools. (And be a nazi if I have to)

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
DLA: I'm sorry if I made you feel, that I felt you - didn't appreciate what I do for you guys and that u been to/ran more tourneys than I have (I dunno why I even brought that up). I know you and everyone else does appreciate my efforts.

So in return, if all (majority) of you guys REALLY want a 32 man bracket. Then that's exactly what u guys are gonna get.

16 or 32 guys? Post up now...:psycho:

EDIT:

Quaz: duely noted.

Kenni: your post doesn't ****ing matter. Cuz you are a nobody who spams...

LMFAO I am SERIOUSLY JUST KIDDING! :laugh: You do matter and your post does count! :)

yoshq

Smash Master
16 man bracket. if you don't make it out, don't take it too hard, you're as good as 24 other people there... what's the big deal? only 8 people out after pools? what's the point of pools at all then? that's really dumb. it's a waste of time.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
Only reason I could see a 32 man bracket is if the turnout is HUGE, like, 50+. Pools are being ran BEFORE the double elimination. It'd be a huge waste of time if it was just being used to determine seeding and cutting out a couple of people.

@DLA - I drove 50 miles down to Racine twice. Paid at least $10 both times. To play two matches. If "not placing into the tournament" after having played 4+ matches makes you want to quit the game, then maybe tournaments aren't your thing (the general "you", not you in specific).

There's a lot more to do than the tournament there. I'm sure I had gotten in like 10 or so casuals on top of that, not including all the Rev 2 I was playing.

@Wafles - What bank do you have? I'm absolutely tired of getting screwed by Associated Bank now. It's crap. I get charged for EVERYTHING, I'm done with them.

Wafles

Smash Lord
Capital Credit Union

As far as the pools situation I thought a little more about it, and if we have at least 8 setups we should do a 32 person bracket, because we'll have time so why not, otherwise we can do 16.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
By the way guys: I am keeping track of who voted for what. You all have til monday @ 5pm to vote.

And how the November tournament pans out, will determine EXACTLY what the top <insert # (16 or 32)> bracket will be for the December tournament.

Then this is all done as fair as possible.

What Brawl + rules do you guys want to see/run?

AND GUYS PLEASE MAKE **** SURE YOU BRING FULL SET UPS!!! PLEASE. EVERY FULL SET UP NEEDS TO HAVE A POWER STRIP (because it makes everything soooooooooo much easier. well u DON'T HAVE to bring a power strip, but it is highly recommended at any tournament u go to ;) )!!!

Wafles

Smash Lord
Also I didn't mean to be rude, guess I was a little overtired. >_>

But bracket size should be determined at the venue based on number of setups and number of entrants...it's kinda dumb to determine that now. Maybe last night I was under the impression that there'd be more than 40 people, in which case 32 would make a ton of sense, but if there's less than that, then I dont really care.

I'll be brining a brawl setup for use during pools and early singles brackets probably, but I'll convert it to a rockband setup whenever it's not needed for brawl, but I don't have a power strip I can bring.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Oh it's all good WAFLES!!! Thanks for the clarification. I really appreciate it. You're an awesome friend, and I am glad you care about the community as much as I do. <3

Oh is anyone willing to take pics at this event? I am thinking about starting a website for J. Jireh's Cafe/M.A.S tournaments.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
Oh is anyone willing to take pics at this event? I am thinking about starting a website for J. Jireh's Cafe/M.A.S tournaments.
Of course. Should put up a Facebook fan page for the tournaments as well. Could throw all the pictures up on there.

*edit* Fixed the english :p

SimaMatt

Smash Journeyman
I think 16 bracket encourages people to step it up at the actual tourney and leaves little room for error during pools.

32 is nice if there's a lot of people though. I'm kinda neutral but if you had to take my vote, make it 16 bracket.

Arty

Smash Lord
I vote 32 man bracket

A 16 man bracket hurts a lot of the good people, like DLA, Corms, Kenni, Meneil, that have a great chance of making top 8, but might not make it out of pools due to bad seeding.
It also hurts the new people that will get bad seeds just because they're new. Maybe JJRockets is a real good player, but if he gets put in a pool with Quik and Grimace there's a good chance he's not making it out.

And don't know if you took it in an insulting way, but I didn't mean any insult by my last post Webster.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
I vote 32 man bracket

A 16 man bracket hurts a lot of the good people, like DLA, Corms, Kenni, Meneil, that have a great chance of making top 8, but might not make it out of pools due to bad seeding.
It also hurts the new people that will get bad seeds just because they're new. Maybe JJRockets is a real good player, but if he gets put in a pool with Quik and Grimace there's a good chance he's not making it out.

And don't know if you took it in an insulting way, but I didn't mean any insult by my last post Webster.
On the other side of the coin, you could have someone like me who could be in a really easy pool and make it in.

The system isn't perfect.

Though, I think you're possibly swaying me towards 32.

*edit* I figured it out! That issue still happens in 32 brackets, of course, not as many of them would be knocked out, but they still would get screwed. It all depends on how balanced the pool is.

yoshq

Smash Master
seriously, a 32 man bracket with only like 40 people is not a good idea. it's a huge waste of time to simply knock out 8 people. it depends on how many people come, it actually is a good idea to wait to decide, because if more people come then it is a better idea.

Top Bottom