• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
They're still about two or three unconfirmed DC characters, right?

Addition: Since nobody cleared this up, I'll put my hand in. DC has certain restrictions for using Captain Marvel's name, since they bought the character from another company (Fawcett Comics?). They can't name comics after him, or do certain things with the character's name. So why he's called Captain Marvel in his comic, the comic can't be named after him. His name in this game probably has something to do with this agreement.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Captain Marvel comics was already trademarked by Marvel during Captain Marvel's abscence, so when he was purchased and retconned into DC canon, they used the name Shazam! comics, named after the wizard that gave Billy his powers, as well as the secret word used to become Captain Marvel.

A lot of the cooler DC characters were acquired by buying out another company (Captain Marvel, The Question, among others).

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Personally, I find it odd that they let Shazam in when he's really just a boy.

And of course, I think Hawkgirl or the Martian Manhunter deserves his spot more.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I concur.

MM is definitely win.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Of course we do.

Personally, I prefer it if the original 7 of the DCAU Justice League be in this game. Is that so wrong? :O

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Sorry if I sounded harsh, I didn't mean to come off that way. It's just that because of DCAU (Which I am a huge fan of, Batman: The Animated Series and Justice League: Unlimited are amazing and perfectly executed shows for any genre), it's just that when it comes to Justice League or their favorite heroes, everybody acts like that's when DC became popular. Would anybody who only knows Batman films and the names of a few key other DC characters now anything about Flash, Green Arrow, Martain Manhunter, etc? Not likely. And Hawkgirl, nobody I know likes her, and I feel it's justified.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
^To answer you question:

How about the Black Mask? THough they have enough Batman villains...

How about the Supergirl who has black hair and is apparently from the future (her name escapes me for the moment, but I think she's dead right now...)

Loads of Flash villains haven't shown up in anything... I only vaguely know them but...

Wait... that's it... Murmur! He'd be perfect for the Mortal Kombat world... wouldn't he?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Grodd would be perfect for a Flash villain. He's gorilla he can just rip their limbs off.

Sorry if I sounded harsh, I didn't mean to come off that way. It's just that because of DCAU (Which I am a huge fan of, Batman: The Animated Series and Justice League: Unlimited are amazing and perfectly executed shows for any genre), it's just that when it comes to Justice League or their favorite heroes, everybody acts like that's when DC became popular. Would anybody who only knows Batman films and the names of a few key other DC characters now anything about Flash, Green Arrow, Martain Manhunter, etc? Not likely. And Hawkgirl, nobody I know likes her, and I feel it's justified.
Personally, I like JLU because for the same reasons. Great story, characters, villains. And for another reason was that, imo, it was last thing on TV that had quality. After JLU ended, TV quality went down....hard.

And I like Hawkgirl. She was cool even when she turned traitor.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Am I the only one rooting for this game?

I mean, it's got Joker in it, for God's sake!

J O K E R !

Oh, and Scorpion. And Kitana. And Subzero. And Batsy. Here's hoping for great gameplay now.

Everything else's just icing on the cake.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
I like the fact that they're focusing more on the special moves(old school style) rather than Deadly Alliance combos. Anyone remember Raiden's and Frost's?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Am I the only one rooting for this game?

I mean, it's got Joker in it, for God's sake!

J O K E R !

Oh, and Scorpion. And Kitana. And Subzero. And Batsy. Here's hoping for great gameplay now.

Everything else's just icing on the cake.
Nope, I'm right here rootin' with ya, man.

And Green Kirby, I'm glad you like Grodd too. He would be perfect, but I think he has no chance now, which is a BUMMER :(

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
So, they're going around the world showing demos of the game, or is it just Europe?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Lex is probably going to have that mech suit that he had in Batman/Superman #1, or at least I really, really hope he does. Then again, Lex beatin' the crap out of his enemies in a business suit and tie would be pretty friggin' nice too.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
According to Wikipedia, Darkseid, Lex, Baraka and Shao Kahn are the last four confirmed characters.

I expected everyone but Baraka... that... actually came as a bit of a surprise. Not because he doesn't deserve to be there, just because I never expected them to choose him. He's kind of an oddball, really, and I wouldn't've expected him to appear without being previously alluded to.

shadowthebeast

Smash Rookie
WTF, Lex Luther is in this game? Well if he had some sort of power suit I guess that would be awesome.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
It leaves me kind of wonder what his fatality(ies?) could be... Catwoman's is probably going to be something along the lines of clawing someone's eyes out or something. I'm still against her being a villain though... Darkseid's going to be Omega Beams... it's perfect; you can have the opponent explode without being gory, perfect for DC.

Also Batman's brutality must be amazing. It just hast to be.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I don't hate Jax or anything, but there are more I'd put above him in terms of importance. Plus, I've never been good as Jax.

And how rude of Midway to STEAL Capcom's unique, unheard of idea of a crossover! Shame on them.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Darkseid AND Baraka?

Aw yeah!!

Lex huh? Well, he'll be interesting to see, nonetheless.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
I can only imagine what his fatality will be...

Addition: Having a unique fatality for certain characters might be an interesting twist: when fighting Superman Lex pulls out a piece of Kryptonite and stabs him with it: that might work...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Such a tragic end for Superman :(

But you know, you may be on to something.

In one of the videos, they mention that "This time, Superman will have two weaknesses, kryptonite, and magic"

So obviously they plan to use kryptonite in SOMETHING, and who's a better medium than Lex (Or...Batman) and since he's a villain and is un-inhibited by the "We don't kill people shtick", he's perfectly capable of running superman through with a kryptonite sword.

Leet.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
WILL have two weaknesses? So you're telling me that Superman never had any natural resistance to magic BEFORE this game? Superman doesn't have a natural endurance to magic like bullets, physical attacks, etc., and even THAT is explained. This is about post-Crisis Superman who isn't nearly as powerful as Golden Age Superman anyway. It's all been there before.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
WILL have two weaknesses? So you're telling me that Superman never had any natural resistance to magic BEFORE this game? Superman doesn't have a natural endurance to magic like bullets, physical attacks, etc., and even THAT is explained. This is about post-Crisis Superman who isn't nearly as powerful as Golden Age Superman anyway. It's all been there before.
I'm kind of confused as to what you're saying here... are you saying you didn't know that he had a weakness to magic, or that you knew he did beforehand. Or, a third option, you're reading too much into the "will" and are thinking that they're implying he didn't have the weakness before... I don't really know.

Supes is weak to magic, he has been for a while, I think, it comes up whenever Captain Marvel shows up in a Superman setting (cause they always fight for some reason) It was a pretty good idea for them to use it in the game, it makes all sorts of sense.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Or, a third option, you're reading too much into the "will" and are thinking that they're implying he didn't have the weakness before... I don't really know.
That's the one.

Supes is weak to magic, he has been for a while, I think, it comes up whenever Captain Marvel shows up in a Superman setting (cause they always fight for some reason)
There's a big history behind it. When Captain Marvel debuted, he went bigger than Superman did. By that, I mean "Super WHO now?" He was the first ever comic super hero to get a live-action TV show based after him. DC sued Fawcett Comics over similarities to run them out of business before they bit the dust. When Fawcett went bankrupt, DC bought the rights to Fawcett created characters, including Captain Marvel whom they revived, with Superman on the intro explaining who he was! So, Superman and Captain Marvel evolved to have a sort of Ryu and Ken relationship, and like Ken is infinitely cooler than Ryu, Captain Marvel is infinitely cooler than Superman.

Bruce Timm had been trying to get Captain Marvel in episodes of Superman: The Animated Series since the beginning, but DC wouldn't allow it. Then when Superman "died" in the finale of Justice League: The Animated Series, Captain Marvel was chosen to be the replacement before Lobo was even written into the script to be Superman's replacement until they decided to resurrect him sometime next season, but DC STILL wouldn't let them use Captain Marvel. So, in Justice League: Unlimited, we got ONE episode with Captain Marvel and Superman fighting, YEARS after Superman: The Animated Series was canceled.

Speaking of which, in the episode Clash, Captain Marvel holds Superman and yells "Shazam!" to bring down the lightning bolt, but holds Superman in the way and just keeps yelling "Shazam!" and keeps striking Superman with lightning bolts. Anyone else see something like this being used in a Brutality or special move?

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I heard the final boss is going to be a fusion of Darkseid and Shao Kahn called Dark Kahn. I'm not sure if this is confirmed or just a rumor, but I can't wait to see what he looks like if it's true.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
It's confirmed.
That's... going to be weird to pull off.

I forsee Shao Kahn trying to steal Darkseid's power, instead of Darkseid willingly teaming up with him, given that Darkseid would probably rather burn the universe to a cinder than willingly fuse with a mortal.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
http://noob.com/

This is Ed Boon's website.

Yeah, can't wait for a clip of the DC story.

Also, for Captain Marvel, here's a clip of what I described earlier for those who need visual to clear up my poor-explanations, and overall, one of the best Justice League: Unlimited episodes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udSr-HBEZOo

Skip to 8:40-ish

EDIT: I browsed around the forums after clicking the link on the website to find other info. God ****, if that 4chan is the internet's *******, then that forum is... don't make me say it >_>. Dear god, was I that stupid growing up with Mortal Kombat as much as the people today are?

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
EDIT: I browsed around the forums after clicking the link on the website to find other info. God ****, if that 4chan is the internet's *******, then that forum is... don't make me say it >_>. Dear god, was I that stupid growing up with Mortal Kombat as much as the people today are?
I'm both repulsed and intrigued.

Top Bottom