• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I love Lui Kang's arcade fatality, I'm just ticked that his Dragon Fatality isn't in the game. He didn't have to bite them in half, he could've swallowed them or just trashed em around.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Anybody play it yet?

I can't find videos for ****.
Better question? Is the game already out? I assume it is since you said if anyone's played it yet so.. :dizzy:

Also I just noticed this game definetly is trying to rival Marvel vs. Capcom in some way, after all Marvel rivals DC and MK rivals Capcom so... IMO it would be so much better if their respected universes fought against each other (e.i. Marvel vs. DC universe)

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGaCcWJvsRA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqqbQjKQKKg

The Joker and Deathstroke's uncensored fatalities.

They only censored it in the US version. The EU version leaves it the way it should be. PS3 is region-free, so you could just get the European version.

Honestly, the game looks like it could of been better. If I had a 360 or a PS3, I probably would of rented it, instead of buying it. I love Mortal Kombat, but...eh...

But the story mode is everywhere on youtube (at least the DC side, I'm having the hardest time trying to find the MK side), and every scene the Joker is in is pure genius.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
The best fatality that I've seen so far is Kitana's Kiss of Death.

My PSN name is mrplow8, if anyone wants to play.

Waluigi911

Smash Lord
For crying out loud, haven't we already established that it can't be the same gory goodness it usually is? It's got DC heroes in it! DC has stipulations for its trademarks!

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I was actually surprised with what they did with Captain Marvel and all the Shazam! mythos. Captain Marvel is one of the few characters that is legitimately fun to play, and at least five other endings reference Captain Marvel.

Must be because it's his first game, and they wanted to introduce him in style.

Beyond that, if this didn't have DC Characters in it, this would've gotten a whole lot more boring a whole lot faster.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
For crying out loud, haven't we already established that it can't be the same gory goodness it usually is? It's got DC heroes in it! DC has stipulations for its trademarks!
No.

As the 'hardcore' demographic, we must *****, moan, and complain about things SO trivial, they don't even matter in gameplay or story.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think they're trying to point out that the gameplay and story were pretty bad to begin with, and the MK games survived only on how gory they were.

Now they're trying to survive on the popularity of DC characters instead.

Which is kinda sad when you think about it. Maybe they should've made a fighting game with nothing but DC Characters? It probably would've been more popular lol...

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I think they're trying to point out that the gameplay and story were pretty bad to begin with, and the MK games survived only on how gory they were.

Now they're trying to survive on the popularity of DC characters instead.

Which is kinda sad when you think about it. Maybe they should've made a fighting game with nothing but DC Characters? It probably would've been more popular lol...
Don't you mean... oh wait
that's Marvel Ultimate Alliance lol..

but yes, when you think about it, all of MK's games have solely depended on how gory it turned out, and seeing as it was somewhat leveled down, DC is what's making this game stand out more than anything.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I don't know where you guys get your information from. Literally every main game in the MK series has gotten good reviews and great sales. The only MK games that have ever not done well are the crappy spin offs, and the last one they made was in 2000. I don't count Shaolin Monks as a "crappy" spin off because it actually did well.

The fatalities in MK Vs. DC are 1,000 times better then the fatalities in MK Armageddon, and I don't remember this much complaining about that game. Most people probably don't even know about how bad the fatalities in Armageddon were, because most of the people who say "MK isn't as good as it used to be" haven't played an MK game since 1996 and have no idea what they're talking about.

Some of the most memorable finishers have had more to do with humor then gore and violence. I feel like they could have made up for the lack of an M rating by bringing back Animalities and Friendships, but oh well. MK Vs. DC doesn't have the best fatalities in the series, but it doesn't have the worst either.

My main complaint with most of the recent MK games has been more to do with the game play. Not that it was bad, but it just felt too different. I felt like it was an entirely new series with MK characters and fatalities. MK Vs. DC is the first game since the series went 3D that actually plays like the original MK games. So game play wise, MK Vs. DC is the best MK game in over a decade, IMO.

And I wish people would stop comparing MK to games like Soul Calibur and Tekken. It's not trying to be Soul Calibur or Tekken. That's like comparing Mario Kart to Project Gotham Racing. They're two completely different things. If you'd rather play Tekken, then go play Tekken. Nobody's stopping you.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
I agree with above, I've never even heard of the Mortal Kombat games merely surviving on gore. And, you know, about the storyline, I'd have to point out that MK storyline is pretty complex and fairly good, though, like most fighting games, it's somewhat hard to find out everything clearly without outside info (though much easier than Street Fighter).

Like all fighting games, it survives on it's playability. I've gone to the official MK forum, and, to my surprise, that's what most people there cared about, as well as the storyline. There were several debates about the different ways to view the game (though much less extreme than, say, here), but it was far from enough for me to get the idea that people only cared about gore (the ones who did were apparently very young, as well, though I'm only saying that from inference from other people on the forum).

Top Bottom