• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
So... about the story mode, I guess we have enough info to infer this, but it's apparently not going to be like Deception and Armageddon right? With one new character going through the story, interacting with characters? It's going to be switching between characters as the story goes from piece to piece, right?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
There's a big history behind it. When Captain Marvel debuted, he went bigger than Superman did. By that, I mean "Super WHO now?" He was the first ever comic super hero to get a live-action TV show based after him. DC sued Fawcett Comics over similarities to run them out of business before they bit the dust. When Fawcett went bankrupt, DC bought the rights to Fawcett created characters, including Captain Marvel whom they revived, with Superman on the intro explaining who he was! So, Superman and Captain Marvel evolved to have a sort of Ryu and Ken relationship, and like Ken is infinitely cooler than Ryu, Captain Marvel is infinitely cooler than Superman.
hmm. I guess it's true what they say, you can always learn something new everyday. I never even knew of Captain Marvel's existence (until now) seriously, though i'm confused, is Captain Marvel like the "sidekick" of Superman just like Ken is to Ryu/ or is he somekind of relative to him, not that Superman has any.

I forsee Shao Kahn trying to steal Darkseid's power, instead of Darkseid willingly teaming up with him, given that Darkseid would probably rather burn the universe to a cinder than willingly fuse with a mortal.
Darkseid and Shao Kahn together?, boy, i've really been missing out on these MK vs DC updates, I also checked out Boon's site and I have to say, those screens looks awesome, though that last one, I didn't even recognize Jax.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
hmm. I guess it's true what they say, you can always learn something new everyday. I never even knew of Captain Marvel's existence (until now) seriously, though i'm confused, is Captain Marvel like the "sidekick" of Superman just like Ken is to Ryu/ or is he somekind of relative to him, not that Superman has any.
Captain Marvel is his own superhero. He rarely ever shows up in Superman's comics. I don't even think he's in any superhero groups. Not the JLA, the JSA, or anything besides his own group of friends.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
^ It's not an everyday occurrence, but when it happens, all the fans squeel with glee.

Captain Marvel is seen by fans, only sorta hinted in the extended universes, to be rivals, due to their similarities and past history. The companies were rivals back then, sort of a little inside joke for the writers themselves. The whole Ken/Ryu rivalry I put up as they are similar, but their little differences portray them completely story wise as well as how they handle. Either way, in the end of the Day, Marvel > Supes, regardless of canon.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
^ It's not an everyday occurrence, but when it happens, all the fans squeel with glee.

Captain Marvel is seen by fans, only sorta hinted in the extended universes, to be rivals, due to their similarities and past history. The companies were rivals back then, sort of a little inside joke for the writers themselves. The whole Ken/Ryu rivalry I put up as they are similar, but their little differences portray them completely story wise as well as how they handle. Either way, in the end of the Day, Marvel > Supes, regardless of canon.
Which lends itself to the question of how they're going to make Marvel being fatalitied not seem weird.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Apparently there are several new videos out. I've only seen one, which shows the beginning of the story mode. Apparently the DC side starts with Flash, but I haven't seen the whole thing because my internet sucks.

There's also bits of Captain Marvel there (which is what most of the Midway boards is talking about, apparently), and info about the story that, thanks to sound quality, is kind of hard to make out.

There are also some new Screenshots, and, from them, it's looks like the Watchtower (whether it's the space station one or the Moon one remains to be seen) is a stage, which makes me wonder about stage fatalities...

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Using "SHAZAM!" to call down lightning bolts to attack, I called it. Captain Marvel, unless he's unlockable, will definitely be my first play.

OmegaXXII

Captain Marvel is his own superhero. He rarely ever shows up in Superman's comics. I don't even think he's in any superhero groups. Not the JLA, the JSA, or anything besides his own group of friends.
is that so, so Captain Marvel is his own persona am I right? a distant rival as well I suppose.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Info on Batsy's brutality.

Apparently, he sticks a Sonic device on his opponent and a bunch of bats come and attack him/her.

To be honest, I'm kind of tired of that being seen as vital to the character, given that, to my knowledge, he's only really done it once (In Year One). Batman Begins did it because it's partially based on Year One, but it shows up everywhere anyway. It's a cool Batman related attack, but I'd prefer if they did something else, especially since it doesn't really fit.

In any case, apparently the reason they chose this was because DC kept shutting down their more physical ideas. To be fair to DC, their ideas seemed to be around the ballpark of "Batman breaks every bone in the opponent's body," which as DC said, Batman rarely did even when mad, but, apparently, DC drove them to use something where Batman doesn't physically attack the opponent at all, not even something where he brutally kicks out a leg or takes them down...

However, from what I hear, multiple finishers have been confirmed (two each), so I'm not too mad. Deception (which was the first MK game I owned, but not the first I played), had loads of characters with fatalities I didn't like and didn't use, but everyone had at least one I enjoyed, so I'm looking forward to seeing Batman's other one.

Also, the article alludes to one of Deathstroke The Terminator's finishers. He apparently stabs the opponent in the stomach and then Uzis them in the face. Which answers one of my questions, anyway, about whether the fatalities would include graphically mortal wounds or would they just have people getting set on fire, shot and such.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
It's not that bad, but they could totally do better on Bats. Multiple finishers, so let's see if they can come up with anything better.

If that is a hint towards one of Deathstroke's fatalities, short, sweet, and to the point.

Has there been anymore info on Captain Marvel, such as finishers?

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Just saw the main site, where all the renders are up, including Lex's (everyone's except Darkseid and Shao Kahn, which includes Baraka). Lex does indeed use the Kryptonite fueled power suit, but it's much less bulky than it's ever been (even on Justice League).

See it here

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
^ Wha?

A few new fatalities have been shown (this video shows GL, Raiden and Flash), and there's a new video on gameplay that ends with Joker's second fatality.

I'm glad they cleared up everything about free fall and Klose Kombat, it's looking like those are really good new gameplay features.

And, for the fatalities, the Joker's fatalities are perfect, they fit the character so well (though I was hoping for some Joker Venom). GL's is just amazing. It's so sudden, but so effective. Raiden's is cool, though the end came about kind of fast... The Flash's is simple but effective, great for the Flash.

I'm wondering if heroes have multiple Brutalities... they should, but there's been no hint that they do.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Notice how Deathstroke turned into a skeleton a few frames BEFORE the giant lightning bolt struck him. lol

As for disappointing news

The Joker's first fatality is censored. The screen goes blank during the headshot. O:

It's a shame too as it's the only decent fatality.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
It didn't go blank; They changed it to a shocking buzzer.

The game IS going for a T-Rating so most headshots will be out.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Where'd you hear that? I did some poking around the Midway forums (they have all the latest news), and all I saw that that it was censored so that the shooting is off screen, but it's still the same. Nothing about a complete change. The same happened to one of Kitana's fatalities.

A lot of people on the boards are saying that the site that posted that has false information (mostly because they say there's no blood we saw some just last week), but it makes sense if they really want to make sure they keep that T-Rating.

A censored fatality doesn't really bother that much, though. It's annoying, but I can live with it.

FAILchion-

OH HE'S SO PRINGLES
The Final Countdown is now playing in your head.
The MK characters are Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Shang Tsung, Sonya, Kitana, Jax, Liu Kang, Raiden, Kano, Baraka, and Shao Kahn. The DC characters are Batman, Superman, The Flash, Catwoman, Shazam!/Captain Marvel, Green Lantern, The Joker, Wonder Woman, DeathStroke/Slade, Lex Luthor, and Darkseid.

The roster is finalized. On the MK side, I'm a bit disappointed that Reptile, Cage, Kung Lao, Cyrax, or Noob didn't get into the game. On the DC side, I'm a bit disappointed that Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, Robin, Doomsday, or Bane didn't either.

It may be old news, but just in case if it hasn't been said. :x

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
The MK characters are Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Shang Tsung, Sonya, Kitana, Jax, Liu Kang, Raiden, Kano, Baraka, and Shao Kahn. The DC characters are Batman, Superman, The Flash, Catwoman, Shazam!/Captain Marvel, Green Lantern, The Joker, Wonder Woman, DeathStroke/Slade, Lex Luthor, and Darkseid.

The roster is finalized. On the MK side, I'm a bit disappointed that Reptile, Cage, Kung Lao, Cyrax, or Noob didn't get into the game. On the DC side, I'm a bit disappointed that Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, Robin, Doomsday, or Bane didn't either.

It may be old news, but just in case if it hasn't been said. :x
The good news is that Downloadable Characters have been confirmed for the game. There's not clues as to who they are, but, apparently, Ed Boon (I think that's his name) has said that he's a fan of Doomsday, and that they're thinking about Reptile.

^ All of the above is courtesy of the Midway Forums.

I'm just waiting to see if Bane is going to be included in that list, but really, I couldn't be happier with the roster as it stands.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Wow, I actually never seen this before, it looks like this game is definetly going to be one of the best fighting games of the new-generations, I can't wait to see Shao Kahn fused.
This game is truly proof that you shouldn't judge things by first impression. Just looking at the first page of this thread, all you can see are assumptions that this game was going to be crap or a fundamentally bad game, but it's looking to be one of the best made fighting games for the next gen.

Never judge a book by it's cover.

Drecker

Smash Ace
When I first saw this game, I punched myself as hard as I could in the nads to prepare for how painful this will be to watch.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Although this game exceeded my expectations by far, I'm still disappointed by the lack of blood and gore.
I hear that this time, developers are focusing on this unheard-of concept called "gameplay." Ed Boon has never heard this archaic word, but he turned his attention to two wise sages who state that this "gameplay" is actually the secret to making a video game worth playing. It is not, as he originally thought, shock value, nor is it story, despite what Square-Enix would have you believe by churning out one lame RPG after another.

Rigor Mortis

Smash Journeyman
To hell with fatalities to hell with blood and gore.

Deal with those horrible animations. Not to mention actual gameplay. Throwing in 7 million minigames during a match is not gameplay.

Nuthin like a game with a set combo list that doesnt allow versitility...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, sorry guys, I was on hiatus for a while.

What's the release date, again?

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
I hear that this time, developers are focusing on this unheard-of concept called "gameplay." Ed Boon has never heard this archaic word, but he turned his attention to two wise sages who state that this "gameplay" is actually the secret to making a video game worth playing. It is not, as he originally thought, shock value, nor is it story, despite what Square-Enix would have you believe by churning out one lame RPG after another.
True. I for one think that the lack of blood and gore in the fatalities is a trivial issue, and, while gory fatalities are a staple of the series, it's understandable that they wouldn't be in this game; plus the fatalities are still in there, and it's not like not having them overly violent is going to seriously effect how much I enjoy the game. I'm still buying it and enjoying it no matter how much blood and gore is in it.

On the other hand, you can understand why people would be disappointed. Censorship may be something that you can get over, but it's still always annoying.

You should go to the Midway Forums; you'd really see people overreacting to it. Some go so far as to call the censored version the "fake" version, and the uncensored version the only one that matters. Luckily, just like here (and, in fact, even moreso) the fans who just love the game and the series outnumber the fans who mainly care about the gore and such.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9I7wupttXw

Finishing moves of Liu Kang, Batman, and Baraka
If you go over to the Midway Forums, lots of people are (or were, they've since gone over the loving it) complaining about Liu Kang's.

I don't know why. It's friggin hilarious :laugh:. I'd play Liu Kang just to do that to people.

Plus they have two, what's the big deal?

Batman's... isn't as bad as I thought it'd be. It's cool, but it's still an attack that I'd rather not was used so much.

Baraka... yeah... It got the job done... but... seems... weird. Like it's too short.

MaxfireXSA

Banned via Warnings
http://kotaku.com/381505/midway-gamers-day-mortal-kombat-vs-dc-universe-first-characters-announced
http://kotaku.com/381640/mk-vs-dc-batman-versus-sub+zero

Sadly, this is real.

It's bad enough they are whoring out the Mortal Kombat name for some stupid mash-up game, BUT they are removing the Mortal Kombat main attraction: fatalities.

Yep, the one thing that set Mortal Kombat away from the endless fest of ****ty games called "fighting" is now officially done away with. Kotaku reports DC may have had some weigh. Regardless, what an awful game.
I never play Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe. But I was gonna say, it's a stupid game to play, but I know the story in Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe can be very funny, very comical, and it's like the funniest fighting game what people would think of, am I right? Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe, the funniest fighting game?

OmegaXXII

True. I for one think that the lack of blood and gore in the fatalities is a trivial issue, and, while gory fatalities are a staple of the series, it's understandable that they wouldn't be in this game; plus the fatalities are still in there, and it's not like not having them overly violent is going to seriously effect how much I enjoy the game. I'm still buying it and enjoying it no matter how much blood and gore is in it.

On the other hand, you can understand why people would be disappointed. Censorship may be something that you can get over, but it's still always annoying.

You should go to the Midway Forums; you'd really see people overreacting to it. Some go so far as to call the censored version the "fake" version, and the uncensored version the only one that matters. Luckily, just like here (and, in fact, even moreso) the fans who just love the game and the series outnumber the fans who mainly care about the gore and such.

Yea I feel you, while someone may eventually get over the fact that there isn't and gore and blood, it still bothersome knowing the fact that it could have been much better. Just as long as the gameplay is good I'm fine with it.

That Batman finsher is definetly too good.

OmegaXXII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pGVyuEfmcU

New fatalities of Jax, Captain Marvel, Deathstroke, Liu Kang, and some old ones. No sound though.

Of course, I can't fathom why Marvel and Kang can stomp women to death on screen but the Joker's headshot fatality is censored. =/
Wow, too good, I wonder if Joker's fatality headshot has anything to do anything with DC censoring it down, nonetheless they are still cool to look at.

Top Bottom