• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Morph balls - A 3.0 Samus video thread

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
It's a huge sample of players KLit... You've got no facts either. I've been playing with new players for 5 years.

Litt

Samus
A huge sample of players from one specific region, playing for the most part from players from that same region, is a country that is essentially an island... you can't extrapolate data like that to generalize to the entire community dude... statistics don't work like that, no matter how much you want your experience or knowledge to do so. And it very well may be true, but based off the evidence you provided, none of it can be back up with anything other than opinion and subjectivity

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Isnt this thread about videos?? There is starting on two pages of comments and there are about 8 videos posted. Can we get some more please. Theres not even an advance tech or combo video out for PM samus so what the hell. Actually I do think there is an advance tech vid out. We arent even talking about samus anymore for crying out loud.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
^ Agreed.

Something I should work on some more is getting the timing on Samus' SWD down more precisely. At times I do it easily, other times it takes me a few, if not several tries. I'm sure I can get it if I practice more, I just don't play Project M that much since I'm occupied with other things most of the time.

Off topic of Project M, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Samus turns out in Smash Wii U. I wonder how her game will be compared to the other Smash games. But, that's a topic for the Wii U section later...

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Ok well here is a list of all advanced techs that are useful for samus in PM:
Jab cancels (aka jab pressure on sheild, there are guides on the samus melee page for this)
Missile spams:
Platform missile spam on stages:
Short hop missile spams: Pokemon stadium 2 and 1, battlefield, yoshis story
Double jump missile spams on the other stages with platforms (note you must let of of the original jump button to pull off another jump fast enough to missile cancel)
Full jump fast fall missile cancel
Full jump double missile
Full jump missile --> 2nd jump missile --> fast fall 3rd missile
Super Wave Dash
Double Super Wave Dash
Super Wave Dash --> Taunt Cancel on edge of the stage
Short hop --> Air dodge --> Zair
Morph Ball edge guard: rolling backwards towards the edge of the stage in crawl form, when nearing the edge, jump-->airdodge --> zair, and you will immediately grab the ledge
Bomb on opponent sheild --> wavedash back to ground --> rising nair for shield poke, or another bomb on sheild --> dair, or back to jab pressure on sheild.
On edge game with samus: You only get 3 grapples off stage before the 4th one fails, you need to touch the stage again otherwise you will not be able to refresh the number of allowed grapples. You can not currently tether the edge if you are above the edge, you past the edge of the stage on a vertical plane.
Rising Grapple: Air dodge upward --> zair for a 3rd jump higher than a regular up B if timed correctly.
Zair bomb cancels no longer work
Extendur is not currently in PM but developers are eager to add it to the game
You can not grapple any wall with samuses grapple beam like in melee, but also developers are eager to add it.
Once you are tethered to the edge, you can cancel it with down the control stick, and can regrapple the edge, or go into an up b.
Only 3 ice homing missiles can be out at once, and the only go away until they have hit an object or are completely out of play.
Don't forget samus still can wall jump, (she can not wall jump out of her up b like mario can, but it is possible to space your bomb jump well enough to wall jump with no jumps left if you can get to the stage by bomb jumping.)
Samus does have the ability to chain grab in this game, the timing is weird (and yes theoretically she has the ability to do so in melee as well but it was very a viable option)
Low angled forward tilt --> into a lagless morph ball attack (<-- not 100% sure about this tech but I saw a video about it and you can speculate for yourself).

Thats all I can think of for now, as for the use of the Ice moveset, I have not had enough exposure to explore its practical uses, all I have so far is, its really useful in doubles, especially short hop fast fall L cancel ice fair for safer approaches

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Ahhh forgot one thing, there was a previous post about samus's Z air and the damage it does at 7% first hit and the rest of the stock it being 4%, however this is incorrect, the correct data for this attack, is if you hit your opponent at the end of the zair, sort of like a tipper, it will do 7% and a lot more knock back, but if you hit them it any other part, it is just a consistent 4%.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Appreciate the list. I can tell you that I've used Samus exclusively since the original Smash, so I know advanced techniques like her extended grapple and advanced bomb jump+grapple beam recovery, how to time missiles, missile cancels, the jab cancel, etc. In short, basically all of what you listed, whether I've observed it in a video or done it myself. There is literally no other character I feel most at home using. Diddy Kong comes close in Brawl, and I can manage Link as well, but Samus will be my main forever. lol

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
This is a kinda old vid, but I didn't know it was recorded so here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64QoN8mON6U

I had only played Samus for like a week or two at this point, so I was still pretty uncomfortable with her, and I was caught off guard by 3.0 Diddy, but I think there's some neat stuff to see in this match. I've definitely improved a lot and ironed out a lot of points in my game since then, but if anyone has any tips or critiques, I'd love to hear them!! :D

Litt

Samus
This is a kinda old vid, but I didn't know it was recorded so here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64QoN8mON6U

I had only played Samus for like a week or two at this point, so I was still pretty uncomfortable with her, and I was caught off guard by 3.0 Diddy, but I think there's some neat stuff to see in this match. I've definitely improved a lot and ironed out a lot of points in my game since then, but if anyone has any tips or critiques, I'd love to hear them!! :D
What to improve on, learn to edge guard instead of wasting time charging a charge shot and wasting it, move around more with DDing to throw up your opponents reads, and learn to missile spam, but your use of shield was good, your zair was very effective in spacing, and you have a decent recovery. You also need to work on your patience and know when to approach, but that will come with a development of your missile spam game. And you kept dropping from your grapple into an up b for no reason other than the fact you can do it, even when your opponent wasnt actively trying to edge guard. Next time you post a video, you should get a video that you get destroyed in, rather than one that is close or you win.

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
Oh, sorry if I was unclear. I was more posting this for the boards to see rather than to get critiqued. This is the only vid of myself I have, so I wanted to put it up and show people how I play.

I haven't seen anyone use the zair as effectively as I do yet (not saying that no one does, just haven't seen video), so I wanted to put this up and show people. I just meant you can critique me if you feel like I'm doing anything that wrong. My missile game needs a lot of work, but I'm just not used to spamming missiles. It feels weird for some reason, but I'll definitely keep working on that. As far as edge guarding Diddy Kong, my mentality is don't even try, because he always manages to get back on safely, often putting you in a worse position. I'd rather just charge up a shot and keep my stage control than risk getting gimped by his ******** barrels or something.

Also, at the time of this recording, I was going for a more "read" based game than a "movement" based game, but I've learned a lot since then and have kinda altered my mentality. I still like reading people, but I've been working on speeding my play up a lot to keep myself safe. I realized people make a lot of dumb mistakes if you just keep moving and spamming buttons lmao!

How would you suggest improving my missile game? It's definitely the worst aspect of Samus for me. I'm often not even sure what to do as far as missiles go.

Last edited:

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Fwiw, this thread is for video critique first and showing off second. If you post your video here, expect feedback, no matter who you are.

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
Fwiw, this thread is for video critique first and showing off second. If you post your video here, expect feedback, no matter who you are.
Ok fair enough, but the thread title is "Video thread", not "Critique thread" like most critique threads are. Also the first sentence of OP is "This is a thread for all your 3.0 videos. The group is open to critique." That leads me to believe it's for showing videos first and critiques second. Just saying where I'm coming from :p

Litt

Samus
Blonde, while yes, you are good with the spacing of your Zair, but your basics are atrocious, you have zero shield pressure, and movement is very necessary to master. Missile spam.... learn to short hop and fire a missile... you will land on the platform with a missile coming out, drop down, fire missile, land.... repeat... not that hard. You just have to work on your edgeguarding, and Diddy cant definitely be edge guarded by samus, you holding stage control is BS for wasting another half of your stock to confirm a kill from just going out there for an edgeguard. I think you feel you have mastered the game already and just wanna show off. I have news for you though, there are much better players at a much higher level, I think it would be good for you to play one.

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
Dude, chill. I'm just showing how good of a move zair is cause no one else has video evidence of it yet. I had been playing this character for less than 2 weeks at that time. I'm not gonna have every missile tech and shield pressure option mastered. I'm not claiming I have a great Samus, but I play lots and lots of top players all the time. I know what is up.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
I mean.... there kinda is evidence of it.... and your video wasnt necessary to prove anything, just look at the zair thread

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
I saw no videos of any Samus using it more than once a match. But no big deal. I'll just stop contributing to the Samus meta here then. Good job on running off potential contribution. I can develop her on my own :p

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
I saw no videos of any Samus using it more than once a match. But no big deal. I'll just stop contributing to the Samus meta here then. Good job on running off potential contribution. I can develop her on my own :p
Learning how to space well with zair and then bragging about it IS NOT ADVANCING META, that tactic has been fully discussed on the zair thread, if you care to actually listen to others, try posting in the correct place, and stop trying to be such a know it all.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Dyna Dash is actually a pretty solid old school Samus player. It's good seeing videos of her coming up.

CyberMario

Settle It
3DS FC
3351-4726-1926
I'm begging anyone here to find HugS Project M Samus videos if there are any. I've been challenged to Money Matches and I have no strats for facing off new characters like Diddy Kong or Sonic.

GeZ

Smash Lord
And nothing of value was lost.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I just can't stand the "take my ball and go home" mentality. Anyone who's childish enough to use it isn't going to post anything valid without first burying it under menial crap.

ManaX

Smash Apprentice
I just can't stand the "take my ball and go home" mentality. Anyone who's childish enough to use it isn't going to post anything valid without first burying it under menial crap.
All the same, ouch.

Litt

Samus
I'm begging anyone here to find HugS Project M Samus videos if there are any. I've been challenged to Money Matches and I have no strats for facing off new characters like Diddy Kong or Sonic.
Dude wtf are you talking about, hugs hasnt even picked up the game yet

Litt

Samus
Hahhaha GeZ is the new KLit, tell him whats what xD

ManaX

Smash Apprentice
Burros everywhere.
What this thread needs is guides on how to mindgame properly with Samus

CyberMario

Settle It
3DS FC
3351-4726-1926
Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Wow lol I feel so much closer to both GeZ and ph00t <33333 :)

Litt

Samus
You can't be serious dude.

HugS Twitter:

HugS ‏@HugS86 Feb 1
Just got
@ProjectMelee If you thought my Samus was ICE COLD before...

Regardless, to avoid double posting, I have found one extra video here.
Samus Dittos. Both did some pretty bad SDs though:
Vanguard Vs. Boot.Elf
I just spoke to hugs like a week ago, and he said he hasnt touched the game enough to even tell me if he has found any practical application of the ice moveset. Please don't shove a well known tweet in my face, when I have actually spoken to the guy to confirm or deny this. He has it, has played it, but hasnt done more than that.

CyberMario

Settle It
3DS FC
3351-4726-1926
I just spoke to hugs like a week ago, and he said he hasnt touched the game enough to even tell me if he has found any practical application of the ice moveset. Please don't shove a well known tweet in my face, when I have actually spoken to the guy to confirm or deny this. He has it, has played it, but hasnt done more than that.
So why do you give attitude "Dude wtf are you talking about, hugs hasnt even picked up the game yet" if you were the only one that knew this information?

Litt

Samus
So why do you give attitude "Dude wtf are you talking about, hugs hasnt even picked up the game yet" if you were the only one that knew this information?
because you spoke as if you knew what you were taking about from an old tweet... instead of saying, are there any videos out there of hugs, I noticed a tweet of him talking about picking up the game, and I would have kindly told you, no he has not put much work if any into the game yet. Think about the way you phrase things before asking why others spoke to you a certain way :)

Last edited:

Bebop86

Smash Cadet
Reading through this thread is cringe-worthy. That is my contribution. But the actual advice and videos are nice :D

CyberMario

Settle It
3DS FC
3351-4726-1926
I bump this in hopes that the Head post will update with the current videos soon. I wouldn't mind making a new thread with these updated videos and if this thread goes cold.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
That is a terrible ****ing attitude to have towards someone who has in fact been greeted with hostility and insults for no good reason. Layering more insults on top isn't the answer.

There is nothing wrong with Blondie's attitude. This board is home to some very toxic and frustrating posting, which is the primary reason I stopped visiting as often as I used to. I'm no top player or contributer to the meta but it's not hard to see why people might be reluctant to post here. So cut the ****.

Litt

Samus
Dude how do you have 1000+ posts after onlyhave the acc for 3-4 months?!? There is a reason people are shut down because if everyone's opinion is posted and the majority of them are useless information then the actual useful post get buried under their crap. People need to understand that if they are not good enough to contribute, then ask questions, instead of throwing out opinions and locking horns with other players who are telling them they are wrong or posting in the incorrect place.

Top Bottom