• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Morph balls - A 3.0 Samus video thread

Chevy

Smash Ace
Yeah, this was the first monthly that they've hosted, I believe they're somewhat inexperienced with commentary, I'm sure it'll get better with time though.

Samuch

Smash Cadet
They really didn't like the fact your were playing Samus, aka "The King of Gimps and Gimmicks". THESE ARE LIES!(mostly)

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
Hey guys, I figured that since I've got an account on here, I should probably start actually interacting with other Samus players to improve my skill. I've been playing at tourneys since around late January, and I main Samus in melee as well. I'd really appreciate any advice on how to improve in whatever field it is that I need improving on the most. Because of my lack of posts, I can''t post a full link, but here's my set with ORLY from this past Wednesday: watch?v=0AGZVSKdsxo

As it stands right now, I know a few of my really bad habits. The first one is the biggest, and that is rolling in from the ledge whenever I start to feel nervous. Also, the charge shots off stage while recovering are not as prevalent in my gameplay as game one of the set I posted would suggest. Any and all help is appreciated, and I really hope I can start doing my part to help you guys improve as well.

EDIT: To clarify, I might come across like a ******** in this set with Chris. Firstly, I'm kind of a ********. Secondly, I have more fun playing with people like ORLY because I can be silly and ****-talky.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I figured that since I've got an account on here, I should probably start actually interacting with other Samus players to improve my skill. I've been playing at tourneys since around late January, and I main Samus in melee as well. I'd really appreciate any advice on how to improve in whatever field it is that I need improving on the most. Because of my lack of posts, I can''t post a full link, but here's my set with ORLY from this past Wednesday: watch?v=0AGZVSKdsxo

As it stands right now, I know a few of my really bad habits. The first one is the biggest, and that is rolling in from the ledge whenever I start to feel nervous. Also, the charge shots off stage while recovering are not as prevalent in my gameplay as game one of the set I posted would suggest. Any and all help is appreciated, and I really hope I can start doing my part to help you guys improve as well.

EDIT: To clarify, I might come across like a ****head in this set with Chris. Firstly, I'm kind of a ****head. Secondly, I have more fun playing with people like ORLY because I can be silly and ****-talky.

You should use Up-B, Up-smash, or N-air out of shield when under pressure, spot-dodge is usually a pretty bad option when you have a guaranteed screw attack. Approaching with dash attack is super punishable, so use it sparingly. Your movement is good, but you only used it to run away, try to confuddle you're opponent rather than just flee. And use missiles to approach, rather than just shoot then run away.

Don't just throw away follow-ups either. You had Falcon off the stage ripe to be finished off at the beginning of game 2, but opted to run away. You can juggle Falcon with a few Up-smashes at low percent unless he DIs well, and that leads to tech chase or stagger situation if he does. Samus doesn't have many good combo moves, so I usually opt for a full 25% f-air if I'm given the opportunity, which can combo or at least lead to a stagger/knockdown situation. Use jab cancels to better apply actual shield pressure. Falling up-air could've gotten you out of a couple juggles. In game 3 there were a couple ledge situations where you could've landed an easy lowrider, so learn that if you haven't. I noticed you crawled a bit in game 3, and Falcon was kinda just unable to hit you, that's excellent. Crawl is a boon in the Falcon matchup, use it more.

Hope this helps, good luck!

cramazzratazz

Smash Apprentice
any word on whether or not the project m morph crawl will be fixed so that you can dash backwards instead of doing the dA?

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
So, this next video isn't really gameplay, so much as it is a brief tutorial of the very basics of Samus. Kaysick and I made it about a month or so ago, and it's received relatively positive feedback. My question to you all, is at a basic level, is there anything that we didn't cover/covered poorly that could be fixed with a sort of addendum or footnote? I think the most lacking thing in the tutorial is Ice mode, primarily because at the time of creating the video, I never used it (too used to Melee Samus), and Kaysick touched here and there, but I could see it needing more depth.

I also would like to do a more advanced tutorial that covers all recovery options, in-depth missile canceling, solid strings/combos that are character specific, etc. I'd love to get some input from y'all on what you feel I should cover in that tutorial, and I'd be more than glad to work on it collaboratively with anybody on this forum.

Anyways, here's the aforementioned tutorial:

Chevy

Smash Ace
Ganon and Falcon can sweetspot under up-tilt with good spacing, or easily with side-b.

You can't easily chain 3-6 up-smashes on anyone who is aware of DI.

Nair doesn't really decay over time, it's a 14% hit when it comes out, then 10% for the rest of the move. Knockback strength I believe is also set though-out the 10% duration.

You guys said a very wrong thing about Samus' up-air as anti-air. Her up-air is insanely good at stopping pretty much any move in the game coming down on you. Link is probably an exception, and G&W, sword guys, etc. But it will stop pretty much every other move in the game, it is very disjointed.

Shouldn't disregard D-air as a meteor kill, not everyone is ready to meteor cancel, and you can sometimes chain multiple d-airs if they do meteor cancel. It's also strong enough that sometimes a meteor cancel won't save you off stage.

You can do literally any grounded move out of crawl if you stop moving and input normally, not just boost ball and d-tilt. (Add one frame to grab to put up shield first, z does d-tilt)

Charge in the air is a PM change, not Brawl.

The backwards charge shot is just a wavebounce with specifically late timing on the b-reverse portion, it would be better to explain exactly how it works, not that it really matters.

When you talked about wavebounce missiles you weren't wavebouncing, you were just b-reversing. Wavebounce is b-turnaround + b-reverse so you face the same direction but still reverse your momentum.

You mixed up the acceleration rates on ice and fire smash missiles. Fire accelerates slow but has higher max speed/distance. Ice is steady speed, slightly lower lifetime.

I don't believe Ice smash missiles have better knockback at all, angle might be very slightly different. You should explain the damage differences too. I believe it's :
Fire smash = 12%
Fire homing = 5%
Ice smash = 10%
Ice homing = 7%

Basically ice has much better homing missiles, fire has slightly better smash missiles.

Should cover maximizing distance gained on bomb jumps, the farther from your bomb the lower the angle/farther distance.

Screw attack is 12% max.

Stating matchup opinions as fact should be a no-no.

I personally find the Charizard matchup at least slightly in Samus' favor to even.

I find Luigi an easy matchup. Samus has a huge range advantage on Luigi, plus he's easy to edgeguard.

I've heard that she beats Meta Knight because crouch cancel, but I don't have enough experience with him to comment on that one.

Should explain why needles don't trade with Charge shot(they lost their hurtbox). Also missile will power through needles depending on staleness of both moves.

Spacies can DI away even above 100%. Lucas can also escape. Samus has absolutely no guaranteed chain-grabs in this game.

I had a lot of other things to disagree with on matchups but overall I think you should just avoid talking about matchups in absolutes, if at all. It's very misleading, and it was mostly based on personal experience/bias; it's really the only place you can come from, being that you aren't dealing with hard values.

You also missed a ton of advanced techniques, which I think would be much better deserving of time than matchup opinions. Overall not bad though, you explained the utility on her moves well and I learned about a couple new sweetspots.

EDIT: After playing around I'm pretty sure ice f-air only has uniform strength throughout.

Last edited:

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman

Please give me some critique on my Samus play. More videos will be up on the channel later as well. I really prefer fire mode more except a few matchups. Not that I dislike ice just I'm more comfortable with fire. Anyway lmk what you guys think I should improve and what I did well.

Things I know about:
-I throw a lot of useless high end lag moves out and makes it easy to punish me
-I really need to learn the PS2 missle canceling
-I need to work on my off ledge options
-I really need to learn to wavedash out of shield
-I show off too much like SWDing failing and getting my dumb a** punished

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
You use boost ball effectively to cross up shield, but you started to use it too heavily and it was being punished. Use that sparingly, and try not to telegraph it as much.

This Falco seems rather laser heavy and lacks solid pressure game, so you didn't really get too many chances to showcase your knowlwdge of escaping shield pressure. With Falco, I tend to position myself underneath a platform and harass with missiles , which lets me use screw attack safely if I get pressured hard.

When you kill Falco, charge your beam. You didn't use it at all, and it's a huge piece of her game. You don't even need to shoot the damn thing, just keep it in your opponents mind. Having a charge shot forces the opponent to be more careful with their approaches and wary of their options.

Against Sheik, you got needled after tethering for your first recovery. You also burned your double jump. That's a bad idea. Sheik will hurt you bad off stage, so it's a good idea to recover low and close to the stage wall so you don't have to worry about gimps (other than drop zone nair, which you can tech).

Plasma beam is the better beam against Falco, and Ice works phenomenally against Sheik. Charge shot works great against both. Really start exploring Ice beam and charge shot, it'll help you immensely.

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014

Hey guys, I just wanted to get some feedback on my play against Rat from last week. We've got a lot of Wolf players around Chicago, but I rarely get a chance to play any of them in a tournament environment, especially the high caliber ones, so there's definitely evidence of my inexperience with the MU.

Outside of SDIing through (behind Wolf) nair and needing to missile and zair through lasers, what can I improve on? I also got relatively impatient in game two, as is shown through my stubbornness to just reset the neutral, opting to just try and come down with dairs instead.

Pretty much, the things I've noticed that need work are my patience and my punish game. I appreciate whatever advice you have to offer in regard to improving those aspects of my game, as well as any insights on what else needs improvement.

Chevy

Smash Ace
Against spacies, you should almost always up-throw. You should be able to just about guarantee a kill or edge-guard at +60% percent off of a grab. Leads to back-air, n-air, charge-shot depending on DI. I would jab-cancel to pressure shield more, or just retreat and react. I always d-smash too, but it's just a bad option when they're going to shield it. Rat kept coming up at the same angle off-stage, it'd be pretty easy to nair or up-tilt him, though side-b mix-ups are tricky. And if he is wavelanding lasers too high you can boost ball under them and potentially trip wolf up. You had a damn good string in game 2 that was very impressive, so just play like that always, easy peasy.

Litt

Samus

Hey guys, I just wanted to get some feedback on my play against Rat from last week. We've got a lot of Wolf players around Chicago, but I rarely get a chance to play any of them in a tournament environment, especially the high caliber ones, so there's definitely evidence of my inexperience with the MU.

Outside of SDIing through (behind Wolf) nair and needing to missile and zair through lasers, what can I improve on? I also got relatively impatient in game two, as is shown through my stubbornness to just reset the neutral, opting to just try and come down with dairs instead.

Pretty much, the things I've noticed that need work are my patience and my punish game. I appreciate whatever advice you have to offer in regard to improving those aspects of my game, as well as any insights on what else needs improvement.
you know what Ccing is right? you can CC his shine... and pretty much every move he throws out, its a jank match up, but you were throwing way too much **** out preemptively and he was way too agro which permitted that play style to work... kind of... you can roll under most of his approaches including lasers if they arent at ground level, but really idk what was going through your mind in a number of instances, my best guess were going for reads that just werent successful, but you shouldnt commit that much to an attack when you dont have a grasp of your opponents patterns yet... in short, think more, react less, you are playing a slow character with good zoning tools with medium priority

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
****DISCLAIMER: JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN CC WOLFS SHINE... DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN AGAINST FOX OR FALCO***

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
Here's my set with Plasma from this past Saturday. He's a phenomenal Lucas and I was pretty nervous about playing him 2nd round.

I noticed that my UpB's were excessive and a few were timed poorly, and I also didn't mix up from the ledge enough. Outside of that, and some technical flubs like the SWD offstage game one and some other things, I can't find much that I messed up on.

As always, I appreciate all of your minds and eyes because they often times can catch what I'm missing. You've all helped me improve greatly over a short amount of time, and I don't plan on stagnating for quite a while.

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
So I decided to put this playlist together. This is pretty much any Project M Samus gameplay I thought was worth watching and may be learning from. Some of it may be good some of it may be bad but I think pretty much any gameplay that you can watch and reflect upon is good to watch. I games are in no particular order just how I found them put I did put the more tutorial like videos at the top. Enjoy and I will be adding to this more as more stuff ends up in my sub box :) Also shoutouts to Pooch, Kaysick, and Esam since they make up most of this list thanks for the great gameplay guys.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz9Pfbo8kg9m7ONc5B2evCozqfuXmiowf

Chevy

Smash Ace
Here's my set with Plasma from this past Saturday. He's a phenomenal Lucas and I was pretty nervous about playing him 2nd round.

I noticed that my UpB's were excessive and a few were timed poorly, and I also didn't mix up from the ledge enough. Outside of that, and some technical flubs like the SWD offstage game one and some other things, I can't find much that I messed up on.

As always, I appreciate all of your minds and eyes because they often times can catch what I'm missing. You've all helped me improve greatly over a short amount of time, and I don't plan on stagnating for quite a while.
I would do B-turnaround/B-reverse charge cancels off stage to face the stage when recovering, unless you really want the b-air range, it's generally best to have your tether available, and it takes next to no time to turn around. Lowriders are an excellent ledge mix-up, especially the way he was just sitting right next to ledge. You missed a couple opportunities to cancel tether into screw attack for a hit/anti-edgeguard off stage. Other than that, just work on spacing and fluid movement. Solid play overall.

Anuran

Smash Apprentice
So I decided to put this playlist together. This is pretty much any Project M Samus gameplay I thought was worth watching and may be learning from. Some of it may be good some of it may be bad but I think pretty much any gameplay that you can watch and reflect upon is good to watch. I games are in no particular order just how I found them put I did put the more tutorial like videos at the top. Enjoy and I will be adding to this more as more stuff ends up in my sub box :) Also shoutouts to Pooch, Kaysick, and Esam since they make up most of this list thanks for the great gameplay guys.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz9Pfbo8kg9m7ONc5B2evCozqfuXmiowf
saving for viewing later, thanks guys.

Litt

Samus
dat pause sportsmanship though
something cool you can do, while plugging in your controller, hold your start button down, so you literally can't pause during a match, (its the same thing as like holding down a shoulder button when plugging in your controller and being unable to shield)

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

wait what...

have you tried that?

because the holding down shoulder thing works because it's an analogue button, not digital. same as resetting sticks.
you can also reset the sticks and shoulders by holding Y + X + Start for 3(ish) seconds, instead of unplugging and plugging in.

If digital buttons were effected, holding down X Y Start would render those buttons useless when they reset...

Last edited:

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
You can also ask your opponent if it's okay to turn pause off in the menu before starting a set. One of our players here made a habit of that, and always made sure to put pause back on after a set was finished.

Litt

Samus
You can also ask your opponent if it's okay to turn pause off in the menu before starting a set. One of our players here made a habit of that, and always made sure to put pause back on after a set was finished.
Yeah, not 100% on the start button but it affects the analog stick itself if you hold it in a direction when plugging in your controller, and same for the shoulders so i just assumed it would translate to the start button :/, anyway, i just turn pause off all the time in tourney now

Chevy

Smash Ace
Gameclucks for Saturday, October 4th.

vs. Eggs - Winner's Semis:-
vs. Apples - Loser's Quarters:-
vs. EPG HungryHeadcrab - Loser's Semis:-
vs. Eggs - Loser's Finals:-
vs. GC SilentWolf - Grand Finals:-

I flubbed a bunch, especially in the first Eggs set, but I'm pretty happy with how I played. Tell me what I did wrong!

Edit: dead links, twitch ate the tournament

Last edited:

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
Time to revive this thread with one of the biggest choke fests ever caught on film! For some reason, I'm just deathly afraid of dealing with Roy at the ledge because of how much he clips through stage and his little hesitation thing at the end of upB. He's my worst MU out of the FE characters, but I was also playing kind of bad, so help me out with what I'm missing out on! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
So who wants to make and manage the 3.5 video thread? It'd be nice if we had an updating OP.

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
I agree with Barbie. Archive this thread for later studying or whatever, and have a new thread for each major release/update. That being said, I'm more than willing to write up a new OP and thread in a couple of hours. Gotta take care of class, first.

Top Bottom