• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Morph balls - A 3.0 Samus video thread

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
This is a thread for all your 3.0 videos. The group is open to critique.
This post will contain an index of samus videos to help people learn the character and track her development overtime.
This thread may also serve as a matchup discussion thread as we can break down the different characters from videos posted.

Post your videos, I'll update the OP with them and provide feedback.

Samus Video Database:

Jerk:
Vs. Android (Mewtwo)
Plup
vs Dr. PeePee (Marth)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
that is a very melee-esque samus :p
try using your ice beam! at lower percents the regular beam is really good because it combos well and tacks on damage quickly, but with ice beam you can be killing him a lot faster.
dthrow-> fair or dthrow->usmash are fantastic on mewtwo.
Ice missiles do less percent, but they travel faster, which is nice.
A quick way to switch between beams is to taunt cancel, it's not terribly hard to do, so I suggest practicing it.

I notice you sometimes use upB for recovery, I find that, in most cases, it's a lot safer to just stick to airdodge to the stage or zair. Zair has about the same reach as your upB, and it always sweet spots. it's also very hard for people to edgeguard it.
with zair you can also cancel it once you start moving and then upB to mix things up.

Another point to help you adjust to the new samus is that her uair is an incredible combo move. you can also jump through your opponents shield with a uair and it is very safe on most characters.

some tips for the mewtwo matchup:
Always look for the teleport. mewtwo is looking for you to do something punishable and then he's going to teleport in with either nair or fair (usually)
If you can figure out the situations which he wants to get in (usually after you whiff an attack or get in the air) , you can punish him with a nair or a retreating shffl'd fair (Ice beam)
if he's going low to the ground, which he usually is, you can wavedash back into a grab or a tilt or smash.

mewtwos love to use confusion near the ledge or in neutral against samus (especially when they are at higher percent) to try and reflect a charge shot or missile (they throw it out a lot more when you have a fully charged shot), so try and bait the confusion out and punish it (you did a good job with that for the most part, I just saw a couple risky confusions I thought you could have punished)
That's about all I have.

Other than that, great samus play, you're still adjusting to the new features and the new matchups, but yeah.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Oh and I forgot one more thing (sorry for the double post, edit is being weird for some reason):
mewtwo is pretty safe on the ledge. he's got a ledge stall, and his hover aerials are very safe (confusion will also kill you on a lot of stages if he lands it)

It's best to treat mewtwo on the ledge like you would sheik. play back and be patient, try to bait him back to the stage or punish his technical mistakes.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for your inputs!

I had not seen Mewtwo in PM before, so I got shocked every time he reflected, hovered, or attacked after upB. I got to admit I'm really bad with habits.
As my tether recovery had failed to grab the ledge multiple times earlier in bracket, I felt I couldn't trust it. Also Android hit me with a beautiful Dair out of my tether. I think this discouraged me even more.
I tried the ice cannon for a few minutes before the tournament, but still thought it would be better to stick to my guns (pun intended) I'm used to from Melee. Taunt cancel doesn't seem so hard. I'll practice more with ice-Samus and see what I think. Is Dthrow-Fair/Usmash really guaranteed if they DI away? I don't have PM yet, so I can't try it out for my self.
I'll try to use Uair more.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
I know this is against a CPU Lvl9, but I wanted to show it off anyways. I'm pretty direct as Samus, and I know some of her good techniques. I also try to balance Ice Beam and regular Beam usage, and use the tools at my disposal as much as possible.

Litt

Samus
I have to say that Corigames' Samus here is impeccable. It's also the first time I've seen Ice Fair employed so well - consensus on these boards seem to indicate it's too punishable, slow or outclassed by nair. I wonder if that may need to be reconsidered.

Game 2 has particularly sick Samus play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twKK9qiTxjE
Hey Lordling, I know my posts of these boards are notorious for being mean, however Corigames's samus is nothing special in this match at all. Doubles in melee becomes a slug fest because of how much is going on, and the same thing applies for PM doubles. Not saying Cori hasn't developed a very nice samus, but there are a number of things lacking from his game. There really is not much nice play for any character in doubles, especially when they are just throwing out fair as much as possible... aka "sick samus play". I played ESAM at apex, and there was just a level of authority and control that ESAM has when using samus that Cori can not match, or at least has not gotten to that level yet.

On a side note aide from just samus, you need to take doubles play with a grain of salt, because even top players are not playing as smart or defensive in the classic sense because doubles is a different game that involves more aggressive play and coordination with your teammate. While taking your opponents by surprise with a random 2 v 1, isnt great play, its just smart play, but the same opportunities would not be present in a singles match, ESPECIALLY with the ice moveset, as previously mentioned is too laggy to manage for the most part.

Litt

Samus
Also for this match of Jerk vs Android, Jerk you should really practice your missile cancels on stages like Pkmn stad 2, and battlefield, really easy stages to do it on and it would have helped in your game a lot. Also jab pressure is just as useful in this game as it was in melee, but each time you had your opponent in sheild and jabed, you just let the second hit of the neutral a come out instead of a jab cancel into another jab.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
That video of me vs Android was my first time playing Samus in PM. I didn't know about MCs on those levels.
My setup broke this summer, so I have been out of practice since. When I do the second jab, it's almost always by mistake.

Litt

Samus
That video of me vs Android was my first time playing Samus in PM. I didn't know about MCs on those levels.
My setup broke this summer, so I have been out of practice since. When I do the second jab, it's almost always by mistake.
Ahh ok dude, the missile cancels are pretty easy to figure out, its just on the stages with the higher platforms like smash ville and dreamland, I have trouble getting the dj fast enough to do them, and fair enough about the jab pressure. I am learning slowly that this isnt melee and samus does not have to be as defensive as she used to be, its interesting how I am adapting my gamestyle to the new mechanics, but I rarely even play PM, everyone around me is still in melee so I stay with what ever everyone is playing.

Litt

Samus
Thats why samus in PM will be a great teams partner, because its fire or ice can compliment any other character

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
I get no comments klit? =( my samus must suck lol. Yea teams is a lot different. It sucks being afraid to unleash your full arsenal because you might hit your partner

Litt

Samus
I get no comments klit? =( my samus must suck lol. Yea teams is a lot different. It sucks being afraid to unleash your full arsenal because you might hit your partner
Yeah dude, honestly I didn't even see your video. But there were a lot of small mistakes being made so if you want a full critique, just privately message me and ill go to town on that video. Even though PM and melee are different games, you can still learn a lot from watching current top melee samus players and figure out what to add from their games to your own. Not saying you don't have potential, or that you didn't play well, but there are a lot of areas to improve. Don't look at that as a bad thing though, just take it as you have the potential to get that much better

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
I would like for you to go to town on my samus but I am not able to send you a message nor view your profile

Litt

Samus
K, ill get to it later tonight when im done with class and whatnot

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Anyone got some tips or critiques for my Samus? I play a more aggressive, straightforward Samus, and I know I was fighting a CPU in my video, but can anyone tell me where I could use improvement?

Litt

Samus
No one can give you any critique when playing against a CPU at all, only the minor things like a missed l cancel, or just a stupid strategy, but then again anything that works is effective strategy against a CPU... like constant dash attacks... however that applied to a human player would just be stupid.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Very well. I have played against other players before (on Brawl mainly), and I do know how to correct errors fairly well, so I guess I'll need to fight an actual player on Project M to see how I do.

Litt

Samus
Brawl is a competently different game, and nothing in brawl translates over to PM besides jumping, and shielding

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Mind games, reaction time, spacing, control... I started my smash career in Brawl, and I can tell you a lot actually translates between the games.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
I know they're different, you don't need to tell me that. lol My point is, I have fought some players, and there's more to my playing than just aggression. I've also tried playing mind games before, and sometimes win by doing so. In Melee and Project M I do know how to wavedash (super wavedash with Samus too), crouch cancel, and L-cancel, and the basic techniques like that, but my problem is that I really don't have anyone that I can play Project M with locally since I'm in the UK now, nor do I know of anyone that is from the States that has Project M like I do. And Wi-Fi battles are sometimes out of the question for truly competitive play since they can be so lag-tacular (and my internet isn't very good). So on Project M, all I really CAN do is fight CPUs, unfortunately...

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
There are smashers in the UK. I know London has a pretty good scene. What part of the UK are you in?

I did some digging. There's a UK Smash Facebook group, so you can use it to get in touch with other smashers in your area. An admin may need to approve the join, but it's one of the easiest ways to connect to Smashers near you. There's also a discussion thread, so you can post there with any other questions. All of this can be found on the Europe Subforum, you just have to know where to look.

Litt

Samus
Mind games, reaction time, spacing, control... I started my smash career in Brawl, and I can tell you a lot actually translates between the games.
Lets be honest jerk, you are 100% wrong here, very little transfers over at all, you just want it to because thats where your origins lay.

Litt

Samus
You are interpreting natural human ability to assess situations and move a character (with different game mechanisms from brawl) as assertained from brawl... just because it exsit does not prove the link between the two, and I am sure both players have played melee before to get adjusted to the game mechanisms. Not to forget they actually practice PM a lot more and they can not be attributed to them having played brawl....

Litt

Samus
Just to note, I am not hating on brawl at all, it is a fun game in its respect, but the mind games are more elaborate in the sense that there is less tech skill involved, and the set ups are very different, it can give a person the ability to reason and think multiple moves ahead, but ability does not transfer between brawl and PM, anywhere near as much as reads, spacing, and tech skill transfers over from melee to PM.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
So wait...

Are you saying that yomi (what Jerk probably means by mindgames), reaction time, spacing, and zone control are not important elements in Melee? Because they're definitely pretty important in Brawl.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Lets be honest jerk, you are 100% wrong here, very little transfers over at all, you just want it to because thats where your origins lay.
Lol I started playing smash with Melee. I just started my competitive career in Brawl. I haven't played Brawl in many years now, so I don't have any love for Brawl. Please don't tell me what I want or think.

As the main host of twice-a-weeklies in my region I see new players every week. I can surely say Brawl players playing Melee for the first time does a much better job than vice versa.
Brawl is a slower game that gives the players much more time to think, but is much easier to learn. Many Melee players rely heavily on their tech skill, which they can't use in Brawl.

Litt

Samus
Ummm that is the biggest leap and over assumption I have ever heard... you have ZERO facts, just your opinion supporting your whole arguement, and a small sample of players that also play with you once every other week... I'm done here :/

Top Bottom