• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Morehead, Kentucky 1/31/09

Ruse

Fox
I might show if my parents end up going to Kentucky that weekend.

40/60 chance.

Edit: I don't know anything about the Kentucky scene, but wtf at Distant Planet and Yoshi's Island (Melee) being counter picks?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I have no idea who Nicalobe is...

I still don't even know for sure if I'm free for this or not anyway.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
scruuuuuuuuuuuuub tourneeeeeeeeeeeeeeey

not going or bringing cincy
apparently the entire east coast are scrubs, along with the clash of the titans tournament you are attending ( http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=206898 ).

you wont be missed. Especially with such an attitude when everyone in the MW thread are having issues with your rules as well, and your just turning a blindeye to them..

The cps come from Overswarm's list of stages he likes to use, I'd llke to get the stage list as it is changed (for future tournaments, i see no merit in changing it so late.)

Then again Andy is TO i can just suggest rules.

andy122888

Smash Apprentice
Well.....here is how is how I see it. This tourney was to help create a community and help support a local arcade. Also I wanted to see the smash scene come to Morehead. Personally OS I care little on your opinion on what kind of tourney you think this is. I want to make it clear that posting a negative comment like that was really immature and more importantly a show of bad character. Say all you will, but we will create a smash scene here in morehead and I promise you that in the state of Kentucky there will be three places known for smash players both casual and competitive Louisville, Lexington and Morehead.

Now that is all about that.

For those who cannot make it I want to let you know we hope you can make it for the February tourney which I will have a post created sometime next week. Thank you for posting and if you want to make a rule suggestion let me know I am already hearing about Yoshi's island (melee) and Distant planet I would like to hear more on that anyone else think it should be tossed?

For those of you who are coming I want to add that those who provide a wii and TV will not have to pay venue fee we will only accept a maximum of 6 addtional TV and Wiis so PM me if you plan on bringing one.

That is all for now

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Okie, put me down for a TV and a Wii. It's usually a full setup (tv + wii + brawl) or some other sort of combination that waives the fee (I guess mostly because we can end up with an uber amount of Wiis and a limited amount of TVs). Anywho, you should prob start making a list of who is bringing what on the front page.

It's almost time, bro. =]
Get pumped!

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
lol

overswarm's not gonna come because you dont have mario circuit on counterpick. You need to play with his party game stages in order to be graced with his presence.

In other news, calic's really wanting to go to this, and I'll be coming along too. Maybe more
so it looks like Louisville may be making it after all
:D

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Overswarm wins multiple tournaments in a row

The rest of KY are fledglings

You can grow, but you're not gonna grow if you're just gonna try to emulate the EC in a region that doesn't have the mentality. The EC attempts to change the game to more like melee. Flat + platforms is balanced to them. We know it isn't. We allow a wider variety of stages, we don't ban things like chain grabs simply because "they're gay", and we let the game evolve naturally. That's why you see character diversity in the MW... because we don't change the game to give the characters we play an advantage.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
Overswarm wins multiple tournaments in a row

The rest of KY are fledglings

You can grow, but you're not gonna grow if you're just gonna try to emulate the EC in a region that doesn't have the mentality. The EC attempts to change the game to more like melee. Flat + platforms is balanced to them. We know it isn't. We allow a wider variety of stages, we don't ban things like chain grabs simply because "they're gay", and we let the game evolve naturally. That's why you see character diversity in the MW... because we don't change the game to give the characters we play an advantage.

How often do you play outside the Midwest OS? because frankly they do have just about as much character diversity as we do. It can also be argued your "counterpicks" actually favor MK (for obvious reasons)

East coast has just as much char varuiety as we do here, same goes with the southwest and the west coast, i have no clue what the heck you're trying to convince people of otherwise. Also how is banning a standing chain grab (no its not comparable to IC's grab because dedede has like 3x the grab range.) not promoting character diversity... holy crap DK is suddenly viable in double blinds.

OS i have played in three regions now and i dont see any more nor less character diversity in any of these regions, most of the times people who are serious (like youself) play a character that has the best chance of winning, so they play MK (like yourself) or another character that does really well. (dedede, snake, falco etc.)

I have 100% no issue with you coming, i do have an issue with how you talk down to people that disagree with you lol. You're a fun guy to play against and talk to in person, but ugh if you feel they are wrong.

And as far as other players in ky go, its coming OS, its coming. I'm getting closer each and every time, as well as a few others.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
OS, the fact that you win most of the tournaments you enter doesnt not make you a leader among us. You're a cool guy in person. I enjoy talking to you. I enjoy you being around. However online I dread any conversation you're present in.

If Kentucky wants to develop on it's own, let it. If Kentucky's making a bad choice and wont be as good as you and your almighty crew, who gives a ****. But allowing you to control every aspect of our rules, because we think it'll make us better? no. It's not worth it. If we want to get better by facing better people, we'll travel, on our own, to places with a more competitive scene. That's why we're going to MWC.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
OS, the fact that you win most of the tournaments you enter doesnt not make you a leader among us. You're a cool guy in person. I enjoy talking to you. I enjoy you being around. However online I dread any conversation you're present in.

If Kentucky wants to develop on it's own, let it. If Kentucky's making a bad choice and wont be as good as you and your almighty crew, who gives a ****. But allowing you to control every aspect of our rules, because we think it'll make us better? no. It's not worth it. If we want to get better by facing better people, we'll travel, on our own, to places with a more competitive scene. That's why we're going to MWC.
Competitive games are meritocracies for a reason, generally. D3 has 3 times the grab range, so what? You think the ICs can't get a grab? They do.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Competitive games are meritocracies for a reason, generally. D3 has 3 times the grab range, so what? You think the ICs can't get a grab? They do.
I never said anything about that. Honestly I wouldnt care whether or not infinites were banned. Neither do I care if Planking's banned. I'm not going to fight to the death for it. I have better things my time could be spent towards. Note this is not my tournament. I dont even live in this city. I dont even live in this STATE. And neither do you. You coming in here bashing the rules, calling it a scrub tournament, is no better than what nojoes did about chi's tournament.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
Ugh, this was from the conversation we had in the MWC thread. point being DK boards have IC's matchup listed 45:55 favor of IC, funny the only thing next to dedede is bad lol.

heres what i dont get about your argument though with the meritocracy... So... you say you're better at this game then us... so we should listen to whatever you say? that in itself makes no sense to me, especially when my oppinions on certain issues vary radically from your own. If you mean the SBR the quote thats ive always seen from other members was the rules were a "guideline" and you can go away from them if you wish? Why are you so adamant about it? not to mention the midwest is practically the only region with such... stages.

Right now myself along with six or seven others are trying to revive/draw in more people to the community, the only thing you're proving to do is make people quit in fact you encouraged it... What kind of community "leader" are you? Do you not realize Some of things you do just absolutly stinks for the sake of the smash community in itself? if not its true. I'll listen to you more when you show you have more interest in the community rather than stuffing your pockets.

also you're not really making youself look good with your comments >_> but ooh well.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Ugh, this was from the conversation we had in the MWC thread. point being DK boards have IC's matchup listed 45:55 favor of IC, funny the only thing next to dedede is bad lol.

heres what i dont get about your argument though with the meritocracy... So... you say you're better at this game then us... so we should listen to whatever you say? that in itself makes no sense to me, especially when my oppinions on certain issues vary radically from your own. If you mean the SBR the quote thats ive always seen from other members was the rules were a "guideline" and you can go away from them if you wish? Why are you so adamant about it? not to mention the midwest is practically the only region with such... stages.

Right now myself along with six or seven others are trying to revive/draw in more people to the community, the only thing you're proving to do is make people quit in fact you encouraged it... What kind of community "leader" are you? Do you not realize Some of things you do just absolutly stinks for the sake of the smash community in itself? if not its true. I'll listen to you more when you show you have more interest in the community rather than stuffing your pockets.

also you're not really making youself look good with your comments >_> but ooh well.
Don't really care about making myself look good. My #1 concern is having a healthy game. Unfortunately, a lot of others prefer to just manipulate the game into something they want rather than let the game evolve naturally... which leads to the game changing in unforseen ways, generally for the worse. The more you change a game from its "core", the less time it spends alive.

Also Hilt, I live in Kentucky. My first section of the post was to you, the quote I posted. The second was to X.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
from what logic do you draw this theory from?

also the point of that entire post is well some of the things you say actually repel good potential in players, you complain about kentucky being so weak yet you do nothing.

ahhh nvm this isnt helping the thread

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Drop this.
Put away the claws and let's focus on the tournament.

andy122888

Smash Apprentice
Well I have three people down for TVs and Wiis: Eric, Shadowbot, and Xisin there are still 3 more open slots so get in while you can.

Ruse

Fox
Wow, I'm glad I don't live in the same region as OS.

Seriously, D3 infinte = no talent. IC cg = hard.

Dthrow > grab > etc. is a lot more simple than s*** IC mains have to go through to win. One of our area's best players doesn't go IC anymore because they have so many REALLY bad match-ups (two of our top five main R.O.B.). Even if banning the D3 infinite does give him a few bad matches (which I highly doubt), so what? It'd be really good for the metagame and make a few characters (DK, the best example) more viable in tournaments. D3 will still be super popular/viable/broken without the standing infinite, so stop crying about it and let TOs do what they want.

If you don't like the rules, don't f***ing go.

Mayling

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you guys are wanting numbers here's a list from Lexington

Probably definites: Mayling, Greg, Charlie, Jay, Ian, Bob.

Maybes: Chris, David, Tupts.

I'll see if I can round up some more peeps.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
If you guys are wanting numbers here's a list from Lexington

Probably definites: Mayling, Greg, Charlie, Jay, Ian, Bob.

Maybes: Chris, David, Tupts.

I'll see if I can round up some more peeps.
I might go to this XD
j/k :p

Who is Tupts?

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I'll just be bringing a Wii and what about Steve(one of the arcade owners) I thought he had a Wii he could bring for the tourney?

Well, if he has brawl and every thing unlocked, then sure.

andy122888

Smash Apprentice
I'll just be bringing a Wii and what about Steve(one of the arcade owners) I thought he had a Wii he could bring for the tourney?
Yeah he has a wii that he is bringing for th tourney. but for tournament attendies there were six aditional tv/wiis I wanted. Bringing the total to 7.....we do have 2 19 inch tv's at the arcade all they need is a converter from the A/V cables to a single cable cord.

Mayling

BRoomer
BRoomer
I might go to this XD
j/k :p

Who is Tupts?
I was going to put you down but I didn't know if you belonged to Morehead or Lexington...

So pick your poison >=O Which is it?

Tupts posted on the Morehead Facebook page if you wanna look him up.

I could bring a Wii def, and maybe a tv if I could throw one in Eric's car before he leaves Friday (I'm assuming he's leaving Friday.)

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I was going to put you down but I didn't know if you belonged to Morehead or Lexington...

So pick your poison >=O Which is it?

Tupts posted on the Morehead Facebook page if you wanna look him up.

I could bring a Wii def, and maybe a tv if I could throw one in Eric's car before he leaves Friday (I'm assuming he's leaving Friday.)
Hehe, I belongs to Lexington, fool! =]
And yea, if you want to load a TV up in the car, that will be fine since I prob won't be taking anyone unless they offer. I mightttt make a run to Richmond to get a few fellas--i d k yet.

I'm still unsure which day I will go to Morehead...if I need to drive people it will be Sat. fo sho.

|
v

Mayling

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hehe, I belongs to Lexington, fool! =]
And yea, if you want to load a TV up in the car, that will be fine since I prob won't be taking anyone unless they offer. I mightttt make a run to Richmond to get a few fellas--i d k yet.

I'm still unsure which day I will go to Morehead...if I need to drive people it will be Sat. fo sho.
Okay that's cool. Just so you know I'm prolly riding with Bob and now that I think about it I might be able to fit the tv in his car. But definitely let me know the situation. Will the tv in my living room do?

So I guess put me down for a tv and a wii.

clowsui

Smash Legend
If that weird guy Tyr goes to this I'm coming too, most likely.

I dunno, it hasn't been settled whether I can get a ride from this guy yet.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
Don't really care about making myself look good. My #1 concern is having a healthy game. Unfortunately, a lot of others prefer to just manipulate the game into something they want rather than let the game evolve naturally... which leads to the game changing in unforseen ways, generally for the worse. The more you change a game from its "core", the less time it spends alive.

Also Hilt, I live in Kentucky. My first section of the post was to you, the quote I posted. The second was to X.
Jeez, Overswarm, let this random KY tournament do what it wants alright? I don't agree with the D3 standing infinite ban either, but you're just being a condescending ***. It has rules you don't like. Just don't go, or go and make the best of it. Not like those rules affect you anyway. I don't see you arguing about every little random tourney in the world with rules you don't agree with.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
lol I love how people get tied up in a knot about "advancing the metagame" or "keeping the tournament scene healthy" while people like me just want to go to tournaments because it's fun. As long as items aren't on or something I'm pretty much fine. lol and honestly I'd probably still play in a tournament with items because it's probably a bunch of scrubs anyway and I can take their money. In anycase you're all lucky OS isn't coming because it means you have a much better shot at winning. Whether you like or dislike him or his opinions he's pretty much been cleaning up around here.

My parents miiiiight give me a ride up. In which case I'll give Chi a ride. No promises though. Living at home sucks.

In summary, who cares? It's a game.

And also I am not a weird guy...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
In summary, who cares? It's a game.
It's a lifestyle for me. It's like telling an NBA player that basketball is "just a game".

Except they have a lot more zeroes on their paycheck.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Yeah it's those zeroes that make the difference. Unfortunately, gaming isn't a viable career. Gaming is very fun and a great hobby but it doesn't last forever. Eventually real life kicks in and you have to get a job, wife etc.

Either way I don't see why the focus should be specifics on rules especially when they don't even affect your personal playing. I'd rather go to a tournament that doesn't have the specific rules I want than not go at all. If that was my standpoint I wouldn't go to any tourneys that didn't ban Marth's CG on Lucas because it's gay.

Just my opinion. Like I said, better that you don't come Overswarm. Maybe I'll place higher lol. I'm not trying to offend you. I just don't understand the reasoning behind not going to a tournament just out of spite for its rules. But maybe it's just because I'm not at a level that I can afford to pick and choose my tournaments.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
It's a lifestyle for me. It's like telling an NBA player that basketball is "just a game".

Except they have a lot more zeroes on their paycheck.
not to impede on your personal life but arent you actually like a teaching major or something? atleast you told me that.

Off topic haha but yeah its nice to make money doing this but 300-500 a week IF you win doesnt compare to the paycheck of a "real" job, but eh It'd be great if smash would get a spectator fanbase, thats when you could make big money.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I just don't understand the reasoning behind not going to a tournament just out of spite for its rules.
There are three gruops of people at tournaments:
Top level players
Up and coming players
Scrubs

The line between the groups can be very fuzzy, but it is there. Top level players are enticed by payment. Dollars. $5 entry fee generally means no one will drive, and low turnout means top level players won't come. Weird rules can also do this.

Up and coming players come because they watn to prove something and want competition. Thus, they really enjoy tournaments with top players... don't tell me anyone at the MWC championships didn't really enjoy the large collection of skill... because that was a result of all the top players save a few attending.

Scrubs come because they are curious, their friends are going, it is a social thing, it is nearby, or they desire to become an upcoming player.

Scrubs will always come if they can and are interested. The tournament can be just about anything. Up and coming players care first and foremost about who is coming, and then to a lesser extent, the rules. Top level players will drive long distances for the money.

If I don't come because of a random rule that detracts from the games livelihood (which I currently depend on financially), most of cincinnati won't be coming. If I don't come, and cincinnati doesn't come, this will be a local tournament for scrubs and a few up and coming players. Knowing that the top level players won't come, most TOs will attempt to prevent rules like this at their tournaments because they know getting top level players to come is essential to increasing turnout beyond an hour radius.

Top Bottom