• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moonblasting the competition! The Psychic/Fairy type Gardevoir for Smash Ultimate

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
IMO, I would love to see Gardevior in Smash

But at the same time, don't understand the reasoning for Gothitelle. Her legs are far too short and her dress isn't flowy enough for her to be a proper Gardevior echo.
Maybe Gardevoir would use non-leg attacks in her moveset to compensate for Gothitelle?

Someone suggested that to me yesterday actually.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Maybe Gardevoir would use non-leg attacks in her moveset to compensate for Gothitelle?

Someone suggested that to me yesterday actually.
I guess that's how I would see it working really.

Not that both can really learn kick moves naturally. Then again, Squirle (Unlike Pikachu, Charizard,and Jigglypuff who learns kick attacks in the Pokemon games).

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
IMO, I would love to see Gardevior in Smash

But at the same time, don't understand the reasoning for Gothitelle. Her legs are far too short and her dress isn't flowy enough for her to be a proper Gardevior echo.
It really depends on how Gardevoir is animated. Attacking and moving similarly to Rosalina removes the need for long legs, with Gothitelle only requiring different rigging for the dress to be more like Rosalina's as opposed to Garde's individual dress sections. If the decision to add them both was made in the beginning then there shouldn't be many problems.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Nintendo Direct comming tommorow, and I feel seeing a pokemon at the end is very possible. That or Elma(if they show a Xenoblade Chronicals X port)

I am hoping for Gardevoir myself. Her or Nihilego with Lusamine are my top choices,

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Nintendo Direct comming tommorow, and I feel seeing a pokemon at the end is very possible. That or Elma(if they show a Xenoblade Chronicals X port)

I am hoping for Gardevoir myself. Her or Nihilego with Lusamine are my top choices,
Yeah, I think they'll save the super hype ones like Isaac or Geno for the end so my bets are on a Pokemon, Bandanna Waddle Dee or a trailer for 3rd party echos.

I'm hoping for Gardevoir or any of the ones listed in my Sig.

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I don't know, I feel as if every character revealed is meant to be hype in their own right. If Sakurai really wanted to save the best for last, I would think King K. Rool would have been the final reveal given his overwhelming popularity in multiple regions. but that honestly wasn't the case, leading me to believe this notion of popular choices dominating the roster to simply be untrue.

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Bad news, apparently, the Direct had been delayed due to the earthquake in Japan. My condolences to those who were affected by this tragedy. I hope they can all recovered from this mess.

Anyway, on the bright side, I decided to throw some support to you guys and I made this.:

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In light of the delay, I'll share something I found on the web. A DA artist by the name of Jun-Kou is making a new Gardevoir fusion every day for a month and is currently up to number 6. They do NSFW art as well so I don't think I can link their profile page directly but here's some of the art in question. (P.S. If it turns out I can link them, let me know as I don't want to pass stuff on without credit)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
In light of the delay, I'll share something I found on the web. A DA artist by the name of Jun-Kou is making a new Gardevoir fusion every day for a month and is currently up to number 6. They do NSFW art as well so I don't think I can link their profile page directly but here's some of the art in question. (P.S. If it turns out I can link them, let me know as I don't want to pass stuff on without credit)

That's both beautiful as well as kind of creepy, lol
thanks for sharing ;p

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Yo to add onto more Gardevoir fanwork. I requested someone for a Gardevoir themed pallete for an Ultimate character and well.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Also what do you guys think I could add to the op or change about it? I was thinking of adding Gardevoir's appearances in the series (including spin offs) and detailing her most notable ones. But what else? As well as some more small and medium pictures to the sides that fit the Pokemon/Gardevoir theme.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yo to add onto more Gardevoir fanwork. I requested someone for a Gardevoir themed pallete for an Ultimate character and well.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Also what do you guys think I could add to the op or change about it? I was thinking of adding Gardevoir's appearances in the series (including spin offs) and detailing her most notable ones. But what else? As well as some more small and medium pictures to the sides that fit the Pokemon/Gardevoir theme.
Well we could post the movelist for inspiration but that may take a while. Especially if TMs and Egg moves are lincluded.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Have a pair of cute Gardevmaids by Zedrin to help cheer you guys up and push for her in smash!

delta and titania.png

D

Deleted member

I'm going to suggest something unorthodox, but bear with me.

Gardevoir as a Rosalina Echo without a Luma.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'll offer my support. I can't think of any actually popular pokemon that I'd rather have.
I mean my favorite's Magmar but the day Magmar starts making waves with fans is the day I go back in time to the day the cinnabar island episode of the anime aired.
Gardevoir is a good pokemon, very popular, and it represents a generation not yet represented in Smash Bros. yet.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731

Its been suggested before so I wouldn't say its too unorthodox. I think it could work assuming they adjust the damage like in the same way Lucina's damage was adjusted. Still, I don't think its a perfect fit, though better than nothing.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Could work considering their similar builds and movement styles but Gardevoir would need the following

1. A new Neutral Special to replace Luma
  2. A new Side Special to replace Star Bits as it was Luma who used them
  3. A different down Smash as to attack from both sides
  4. A MASSIVE buff across the board to account for the loss of the puppeteer mechanic
  5. Heavier weight to compensate (possible but could be a balance headache)
Rosalina is one of the trickier characters in the game so an entry level version is appealing but it wouldn't be as easy as making Lucina from Marth. That said they have done a lot of work to the echos so far so it could be done.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
well actually I'm not sure 1-3 or 5 would even need to be addressed.

1) Nuetral B can still occur, it could either just be a disappearing projectile (with the second part of the move being non-existant) or a consistent hitbox that lays like a trap and can be returned
2) Can still happen, the hit box would just come from Gardevoir instead.
3) Rosalina's down smash [sans luma] already attacks on both sides.
5)Not necessary, an increase in damage already resolves balancing to a degree and it works more true to her character given that Gardevoir looks like a light weight.

Gardevoir wouldn't even need a major attack buff as Rosalina is already a dominating character without using the puppet mechanic.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
well actually I'm not sure 1-3 or 5 would even need to be addressed.

1) Nuetral B can still occur, it could either just be a disappearing projectile (with the second part of the move being non-existant) or a consistent hitbox that lays like a trap and can be returned
2) Can still happen, the hit box would just come from Gardevoir instead.
3) Rosalina's down smash [sans luma] already attacks on both sides.
5)Not necessary, an increase in damage already resolves balancing to a degree and it works more true to her character given that Gardevoir looks like a light weight.

Gardevoir wouldn't even need a major attack buff as Rosalina is already a dominating character without using the puppet mechanic.
I'm not sure about 2), what does it do gameplaywise when Luma is right next to Rosalina?

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I've said it before but I don't quite think it'd work, Rosalina uses her tilts, aerials and such with her dress emitting cosmos energy while Gardevoir does it more in a flowy dress style, similar to Zelda, using kick moves and energy waves out of her hands.
More similar to this

than this

And the way she flows also feels more fitting with Zelda than Rosalina in my opinion, not too sure how to explain it but Zelda flows more in the elegant "Care freely" manner similar to Gardevoir rather than Rosalina. who's more elegant in a space and (stretching for a lack of better term) "divine" like.
So I'd still say as a Zelda echo would be far the more fitting and easier to create, though if for some reason she can't be chosen then Rosalina and Mewtwo would probably the second best options, with Rosalina as the base and Mewtwo as the inspirations for some moves being more Psychic energy based after all.

Granted I do think the walk and dash would be similar to Rosalina and Mewtwo either way, but for the most part I see not only her base but also moveset works better when compared to Zelda as I have never recalled Gardevoir doing much close to emitting cosmos out of her dress or being associated much with that type of energy, not to mention things like her aerials, up special, up air and down air don't make much sense with Gardevoir's known abilities in the Pokemon games. And for Mewtwo his energy is more similar but base even more different as mentioned before, not to mention the tail attacks being tricky.

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I'm not sure about 2), what does it do gameplaywise when Luma is right next to Rosalina?
The hit box still comes from Luma, but since Luma is close to Rosa, it looks like it si coming from her.

And I agree Waddle King, it was just that GoldenYuitisun brought the concept up so I'd decided to roll with it. I got to say though, If Gardevoir could have her Backward Strong attack as her smash attack, that would be dope. I don't think I've ever heard of a character that consistently moves forward while charging a smash attack.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think there's more flow with Rosalina than Zelda, and it would make more sense, and they could adjust the animations to make more sense, but ultimately I think she has to be original, even if they can re-use a few things, possibly from both rosalina and zelda. The base would make sense with Rosalina.
Also, without Luma, Rosalina is actually not very good at all, she has little to approach with besides tilts and grab.

Anyway, I'm sure nintendo would do her justice enough :)

Last edited:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
The hit box still comes from Luma, but since Luma is close to Rosa, it looks like it si coming from her.

And I agree Waddle King, it was just that GoldenYuitisun brought the concept up so I'd decided to roll with it. I got to say though, If Gardevoir could have her Backward Strong attack as her smash attack, that would be dope. I don't think I've ever heard of a character that consistently moves forward while charging a smash attack.
I want to see some stuff from Pokemon Type Wild even though it's not official, like the Psychic far ranged command grab.
I think there's more flow with Rosalina than Zelda, and it would make more sense, and they could adjust the animations to make more sense, but ultimately I think she has to be original, even if they can re-use a few things, possibly from both rosalina and zelda. The base would make sense with Rosalina.
Also, without Luma, Rosalina is actually not very good at all, she has little to approach with besides tilts and grab.

Anyway, I'm sure nintendo would do her justice enough :)
Well to each their own, though I do wonder, what makes you say her flow is more in line with Rosalina than Zelda? I personally feel even Mewtwo has some things more related to her than Rosalina at times most notably he is Psychic like her while Rosalina is more of something I am unsure how to describe, but doesn't use the same type of energy attacks as Gardevoir doesn't use cosmos and such and her dress doesn't flow in the same way outside of perhaps the Mega form, or Robin in some aspects too but that's stepping deep into a design territory I can't really explain.
Personally though I think only Zelda could work as an echo, Rosalina and Mewtwo would require so many changes it wouldn't be an echo at that point, most likely. But best of as an original character.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm imgining Gardevoir getting in as an original character but made of parts of other characters (like how Ganondorf borrows his new Smash attacks). That way Gothitelle can still get in as an echo.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I want to see some stuff from Pokemon Type Wild even though it's not official, like the Psychic far ranged command grab.

Well to each their own, though I do wonder, what makes you say her flow is more in line with Rosalina than Zelda? I personally feel even Mewtwo has some things more related to her than Rosalina at times most notably he is Psychic like her while Rosalina is more of something I am unsure how to describe, but doesn't use the same type of energy attacks as Gardevoir doesn't use cosmos and such and her dress doesn't flow in the same way outside of perhaps the Mega form, or Robin in some aspects too but that's stepping deep into a design territory I can't really explain.
Personally though I think only Zelda could work as an echo, Rosalina and Mewtwo would require so many changes it wouldn't be an echo at that point, most likely. But best of as an original character.
I've seen a Gardevoir skin on Zelda, and it just doesn't look flowy at all, her movements seem stiff and not how I'd imagine her to move or attack.
I do agree that the cosmos dress attacks would look a bit strange, though they could be replaced with psychic effects, but everything else is graceful and floaty like she would be. Zelda's kicks look weirder than the attacks at the end of the dress, which can make more sense since gardevoir doesn't kick.
All that to say, both are inadequate, but as a base Rosalina would work well, and then they could change the attacks.

I don't see her as an echo at all, but that doesn't mean she couldn't be designed relatively easily with referencing Pokken to some degree if they want to.
New original attacks could be made too, I mean just because she's not as popular as some of the other characters doesn't mean they would skimp out on designing her. s'all good :)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I've noticed that in a lot of things, Gardevoir has a lot of emphasis on grass moves with it using Magical Leaf and Energy Ball as it's basic attacks. I wonder if Smash would continue that or if they'd go with a more fairy direction.

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Still looking for supporters? I'm in :)

Especially after seeing this:
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422689663/
Hi! I was working at CEO this year and I managed to get a copy the demo build used for the tournaments. There were a few interesting things in the code for the character select:
>The Simon Belmont leaker had the Castlevania IP right, but not the character. "Rihita", Richter Belmont's Japanese name, was among those listed.
>"Sirnight", Gardevoir's Japanese name, was among them. Interestingly, Lucina, Dark Pit, and Daisy are all listed with their echo counterparts - "Gothiruselle" (Gothitelle) was underneath her. I presume, then, that Gothitelle is going to be an echo of Gardevoir.
>"Mario2" was listed as a seperate character. I have no idea what this means, but if I had to guess, either Paper Mario or Mario 64 Mario.
>"Kruru" (King K Rool) and "DakuS" (Dark Samus? It was underneath regular Samus) were both listed, unsurprisingly.
Obviously it's a demo build, so there may be more characters who haven't been added to the select screen code yet.

My attention was just brought to this one when I searched "Richter" in the 4chan archives. This supposed leak was submitted on July 1st, way before the direct or it's announcement. It predicted Richter, which is a substantial claim. Definitely keep an eye on this one.

The credibility of this leak and others are discussed on the Official Smash Ultimate discussion. As for myself, i want to believe.

Man i hope this true, Gardevoir is one of my favorite pokemon and i`ll main her if she`s in the game.

Man i hope this true, Gardevoir is one of my favorite pokemon and i`ll main her if she`s in the game.
Unfortunately, I think this leak was debunked a while ago... but still i'm pretty sure Gardevoir is a potential newcomer nonetheless :)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Unfortunately, I think this leak was debunked a while ago... but still i'm pretty sure Gardevoir is a potential newcomer nonetheless :)
I don't think it was 100% conclusivley debunked but it does seem to have some problems.

Then again, Shulk was a photoshoped Little Mac amirite?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
People say there's problems with it, but they don't really know how the filing and naming is for Ultimate compared to other games, especially a demo. Not to say the leak isn't sketchy, cuz some parts do sound weird. But it's still one of the few standing ones.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think its a high chance that thursday we get either Shantae or more likely a pokemon, and I really hope that pokemon is our girl/guy Gardevoir

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
It's not been conclusively debunked, but no one is really talking about it anymore because there's nothing else to say that hasn't already been said. We just have to wait.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I don't know if I posted here, but given the choice between all the current pokemon front runners, I think Gardevoir would be my pick, so you could say I'm a supporter.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You have no idea what you've just enlightened me to, do you?
Yep, that one's in my top 3 of the ones done so far along with Primarrina and this little number

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Good luck with some cool reveals tomorow y'all!

I really like the primarina gardevoir :D

Top Bottom