• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monster Hunter Discussion - any installment

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm trying to finish Dark Cloud, but I've been farming weapon armor sets as of late. I love this game so much XD; wish I had got it over Other M earlier to be honest.

Almost to long swords^^

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
The "best" SnS depends on what you're fighting. Monsters will have different weaknesses to elements and tolerances to status effects. The nature of a monster makes it pretty easy to determine (i.e. "Ice" monsters are weak against fire weapons). So various weapons handy for different hunts is your best choice.
Obviously the best along a certain weapon path is when you can't upgrade it anymore.

elements/status aside, the sharper the better.

Gah777

Smash Lord
Right, what Derp said. Since SnS get most of their damage from elemens, the best SnS depends on what you're fighting.

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
Isn't the rule that if it doesn't breathe fire, it's weak to fire? It seems like the vast majority of monsters in the game are weak to fire...

Gah777

Smash Lord
Yeah, quite a few monsters are weak to fire.

That seems like a pretty decent rule, with a few axceptioms. Gobul is weaker to thunder, Jho is weak to thunder and dragon, Uragaan doesn't technically "breath" fire (he farts it), Diablos is weak to ice, erm... That's all I got off the top of my head.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I put a list of element weaknesses in my bowgun guide in the op under the section where it talks about ammo. Valuable info right thur

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Right, what Derp said. Since SnS get most of their damage from elemens, the best SnS depends on what you're fighting.
Oh I didn't realize most damage comes from the elemental aspect of the weapon.

But I was mainly wondering if its more beneficial to have the SnS that can paralyze things or the Barioth weapon that has a better affinity than the rest.

Isn't the rule that if it doesn't breathe fire, it's weak to fire? It seems like the vast majority of monsters in the game are weak to fire...
Yeah, quite a few monsters are weak to fire.
haha cool I'll keep that in mind. I just got a new fire SnS just the other day too.

Gah777

Smash Lord
Oh I didn't realize most damage comes from the elemental aspect of the weapon.

But I was mainly wondering if its more beneficial to have the SnS that can paralyze things or the Barioth weapon that has a better affinity than the rest.
Just about every non-raw only (i.e. an SnS with no element or status) has a purpose, but some fill that purpose better than others. If you're looking for a general, good-on-all-monsters, support only SnS, then go with the para SnS (you won't be doing much damage, but have fun paralyzing like 5 times a hunt if you play right :3).

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I don't get why people love sleep bombing Alatreon. Melee is way easier and quicker. Or, combine the two. Sleep it once or twice, break off it's horns so it can't fly off, and then **** it.

@Gah: I'm really glad you suggested Barioth+ armor. Now that it's fully leveled up, I'm loving the fact that, if I can time it right, I can just jump through about anything any monster throws at me. It's amazing.

@Derp: I tried making me a bowgun, but it got too complex, so I had to ditch it. A day later, I came back here and read your guide and now I'm all 'why the f did i sell my bowgun'. lol hax

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I want to run a Bowgun, but it is very complicated an intimidating xD.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I feel combat with guns is actually much easier since there's only one attack: shoot. Once a gun is built it's just a matter of knowing what ammo is best at any time. Although finding a place to station yourself to fire can be challenging, sometimes not allowing you to safely shoot for little bits of time.

~~ANTICIPATION~~

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Sorry, I haven't had a chance to play much cause of work and needing cables, but they release new stuff via online? So the Offline/Arena is actually outdated compared to the Online stuff? Is there monsters online that don't even exist offline? O_o

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Sleep bombing is to have more of a chance of breaking ala's horns.
Fine, have one person with a sleep weapon. Optimally, a bowgun, since that's the most versatile weapon I've seen so far. Once it's asleep, add in 8 LBB+ and that's bye-bye horns. The rest is a cakewalk.

I used to dread facing Alatreon until I did a couple of Megatreons and the regular Ala seems like a joke now.

I can't wait for giant Jho. I hope they release it soon...
There's a giant Jho? I need to brush up on my Lance and SA! Thanks for the heads up!

Gah777

Smash Lord
Parastunbombing is faster and way more fun than dumb ol' sleep bombing.

@Shimazu: Yes, there are quests and monsters that exist only online. The first half of the online quests are similar/the same as the offline ones. The second half includes unique quests and familiar quests with a little twist (not to mention monsters are stronger). On top of that Capcom releases online only event quests on a regular basis. These quests are typically on a random rotation, so don't worry about missing out as they will be back again.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
So it's not like Pokemon XD. Oops... I can get a Mew...can't I? D:

That's good, that's really a lot of effort that put into this game, which is a good thing. Getting 100% is going to be fun xD

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Also, started using a bowgun in addition to my other weapons, and I'm having a blast. Anywho, if anyone knows any useful bowgun combinations/armors, I'd be thankful.
Kinda looking for something focused around pierce or cluster. I already have plenty of elemental guns.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I spent an entire day hunting 2x Lagi (Sea Power) for 2 measly Horn+. I frickin' hate MH3's reward system. I effectively doubled my money count and rose 5 HRs. All for 2 measly Horn+. I also got 13 regular Horns. WTF.

Seriously. WTF.

/rant

Smashjin

Smash Ace
I spent an entire day hunting 2x Lagi (Sea Power) for 2 measly Horn+. I frickin' hate MH3's reward system. I effectively doubled my money count and rose 5 HRs. All for 2 measly Horn+. I also got 13 regular Horns. WTF.

Seriously. WTF.

/rant
Wow, I haven't had a problem with Lagi Horn + yet at least. Gobul Lantern + was by far the worst for me when I wanted Alluring Lotus, it took me forever. I probably went through 40+ easily gobul. Jhen gems aren't proving easy for me either.

Gah777

Smash Lord

Seriously. WTF.

/rant
yup yup. I've run into this problem before. I also spent an entire day trying to get a few measly horn+'s before. I ended up getting a ton more money, gaining quite a few HRs, and ending up with about 3x as many Sapphires than Horn+'s. (2 horn+, ~6 sapphires).

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Jhen gems aren't proving easy for me either.
Jhen gems I actually get quite a few. Besides, if I have any real trouble, I can always jack down my Hearing and jack up to Great Luck and wade in. Gobul lanterns I was always short on because, well, I use the axe. And I prefer not to fight any monster headon unless it's trapped, paralyzed, fatigued or I'm just too darn bored or desperate for a face part.

I'm a pro at trolling lol.

ending up with about 3x as many Sapphires than Horn+'s. (2 horn+, ~6 sapphires).
I absolutely hate it when you get regular parts hunting a high monster. If I wanted regular parts, I'd go hunt a regular monster!! It's hax.

I'm trying to get a charm with 3x slots. This one guy said to mine on and capture a high Uragaan for best charm options. That true? Or duke it out the old fashioned way: basic volcano mining?

Gah777

Smash Lord
Meh, I just did the high rank "Roll the Uroktor" quest. It took me a little while, but I had made a mining set, which was basically just the leather set with all it's skills maxed (ie Devine Whim instead of Spirits Whim)

I forget exactly what it had since I sold that set, but I think it had Devine Whim, Speed Gathering, and Gathering +2 or something. Devine Whim makes your tools break less often, Speed Gathering speeds up the gathering and mining animations, and Gathering+2 makes gathering and mining spots stay longer. Getting Heat Res Hi would also be a plus.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
So... my wii's reader died, had to get a new wii. My file won't transfer to an SD card to go over? D: Means I gotta start over, luckily I had been busy with other stuff, so I wasn't too far.

Unless there is a way to get my file somehow?

Gah777

Smash Lord
You could softmod your wii, but I don't know exactly how to transfer a file from there. Without mods there is no way to transfer.

Lobos

Smash Master
That happened to me 3 weeks after mhtri came out.....I sent it in to a local store and paid 80 to get a new disc reader......it was worth it lol

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
My disc reader died, too, ended up buying a used wii for $60 on craigslist. It had a bunch of SNES/N64 games that I always wanted to buy so aside from losing a perfectly good Wii it turned out better than expected.

Running through all the * and ** quests sucked though, luckily I had no HR to lose at the moment

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Well, I had a launch wii, and apparently the newer models have some better hardware (From what I read?) So I got a Black Wii, and meh.

I have my Majora's Mask/Link to the past 100% files on my SD Card. I can re-do MHTri, I wasn't far. I also got a gamesave for Brawl. So really, all I lost was Breath of fire II and Super Metroid, as I never 100%ed those. But like I'm going to play those soon, I finally finished Dark Cloud so I can play Tri more.

-_- Noob Quests </3

Gah777

Smash Lord
Idk about better, but i'm sure newer models have more "solid" hardware. As in same processing power and whatnot, just without all the bugs and breakdowns and stuff. More sturdy and reliable, i guess.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Idk about better, but i'm sure newer models have more "solid" hardware. As in same processing power and whatnot, just without all the bugs and breakdowns and stuff. More sturdy and reliable, i guess.
This. But it's common sense (don't take that the wrong way <_<), Launch consoles are never as good as the models released later on. The small flaws and design errors that come up get fixed and patched, etc.

Considering someone plays my Wii (if not me) every day for 4 years since I got it (or whenever it came out really)... I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner. <3 Nintendo

Having to restart sucks, but now I'm playing in 480p and it looks better XD. I thought about upscaling to 1080p, but I read it can make a lot of games look bad because Wii isn't meant for 1080, it's meant for 480SI (crap) and 480p (Max, and I believe it's the lowest HD?)

Anyways all this is off topic, but I came to say, do you guys use every weapon, or do you pick your favorite and stick with it?

Edit: Just to clarify, it isn't just black. All Wiis released do. I can look up a source for it later, but I'm 99% sure.

Smashjin

Smash Ace
Anyways all this is off topic, but I came to say, do you guys use every weapon, or do you pick your favorite and stick with it?

I mainly use hammer, really only have a build best for hammer. I used lance occasionally, especially to beat Rathalos since I was having trouble with hammer.

I'm trying to make a solid bowgun set at the moment though.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I came to say, do you guys use every weapon, or do you pick your favorite and stick with it?
I use Switch Axes 90% of the time. I'll switch to LS if things get too boring (I'm the Mr. Spamalot who loves his spirit combos), and maybe Lance or SnS against Ala or Jho if I feel like it.

Currently, I'm learning GS. Hammers I just can't get the hang of.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I really want to do Long Swords. Haven't gotten one yet, but I've always loved katanas, and it seems they aren't uber slow, and I love fasterish weapons. (But SnS is meh to me)

quirkynature

Smash Ace
But SnS is meh to me
LOLwut? SnS is, IMO, the fastest weapon in the game, if used correctly. LS is pretty fast, too, but nowhere near the speed output of SnS.

What offline level are you on? Once you finish off the 3* urgent, you unlock the LS automatically.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ No, I mean I just don't really like using SnS. I don't care for Hammer either, but Hammer doesn't suck at all XD. I usually like the fastest weapon, but meh.

I just got LS before I had to restart. Workin' my way back up

quirkynature

Smash Ace
^Oh. Hammers don't suck at all, given. I'd rather be partnered with a hammer user than a GS user (maybe because I'm already using a cutting weapon).

Check MH3 wiki. It lists all key quests you have to do to get the urgent quest. That way, you don't have to drag through each and every one. Just a specific few. I discovered that when I was on my 4* offline and I was all WTF.

XD

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Awh yeah, so I can get LS then do all the boring noob quests later. Woot Woot.

One prob, where can I find this list?

Top Bottom