• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monster Hunter Discussion - any installment

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
How is the online play? Are issues with lag common or does the game run smoothly?
As others have said, the online is smooth once you get in a game. It takes ages for me to get online, though. Also, (maybe it's just me) I randomly get disconnected and lose everything I gained online :(

In this game, the only way to save is to either quit or sleep in a bed. If you play online, I suggest you save after every quest.

D

Deleted member

Today, I'm finally going to experience online. I'll tell you about my experience later.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
I might try online today as well.
1 player gets boring pretty quickly for me......

D

Deleted member

Hunter Name: SSB Fan
ID: FQN8K2

Hopefully, we can make time. If you want to play with me, either PM me or talk to me here.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I've played online in three different ways.
I've played with my brother in another state, I've played with random people online, and I've played with three other people in the same room.

They're all much more enjoyable than single player. It's hard to say which mode is more fun. Playing with random people was almost as satisfying as playing with three buddies.

It's pretty much the same experience I had when I played PSO. First for the Dreamcast, and then split-screen with three buddies on the Gamecube later.

Only (and this feels like blasphemy) Monster Hunter is a better game than PSO in my opinion.
Sonic Team had a great opportunity to really create a following, but they just didn't keep it up.

Capcom just kept churning out Monster Hunter even when people didn't like it.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Yeah i get dc'd a lot when im online so wifi is out for me until i get a new router.

But man this game looks so SICK, i want to get it soooo bad.

M.K

Level 55
Can you not stun with a lance?
I had to fail out of that "collect the horns of the Kelbi" challenge because I didn't figure out how to stun with my lance. =(

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
You don't need to stun with a lance to beat that quest. It's just a rare drop from the Kelbi.

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure you need to stun. I've killed many a kelbi before figuring out how to stun with the GS slap, and the first three kelbi I've stunned all dropped horns, whereas the other like 20 or so kelbi I've killed gave other drops. It could be luck, but it'd be pretty unlikely.

To stun with the lance you attack while doing the block advance thingy. Sorry for how vague that sounds, but my lance exp comes from like 20 minutes of demo play. But I'm pretty sure you just hit them with your shield when you're doing the block advance so they get stunned. Also if you still have your SnS you can just hit them with the shield.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
It's true.

You have two options for that quest.
Hit them with the shield
or
Bring a level 1 hammer. (Easier)

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
It's a 60% drop or something if you stun them, and it's like a 10% or less drop if you KO them.

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
I'm just mad unlucky then. Thanks for the info.

Also, as a newbie to the MH franchise, I find myself hoarding everything and my storage box is getting quite full. Is there a general rule of thumb to follow when deciding what stuff to keep, what stuff to carry, etc.? I have my farms working to get me potions/honey, but I'm never sure if I should keep stuff like bugs, bait, monster parts, etc.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I'd say unless all your boxes are full (and that's after buying the organizer that gives you 6 pages), you have no need to throw anything away. Even garabge from combining can be sold.

Then try to start combining all your junk like bugs and berries, see what you find really useful. The things you don't need/want, sell.

Then if your armor and weapons are advanced enough to where you don't need things like rare-1 monster parts, sell those too. I say that with a little apprehension because I've always found that I'll be inspired to run down a new weapon tree, but I sold parts that I needed.

Basically: combine, sell junk, and if you still NEED more room, sell not-so-rare items.

Also, just remember to bring all the necessary tools to beat whatever quest (even if it seems a bit superfluous) so things don't just pile up. Exploit their uses as much as you need, it's what they're there for. Being prepared helps compensate for poor equipment/skill/online partners. :)

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
k... gimme your name/code when you have it

Speaking of which, question:

To get a successful search if you punch in someone's name, has anyone noticed that they have to be online at the moment of the search? or am I just trippin'?

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Fun Fact:
Got hit hard and stars are spinning around your head?
Spin your control sticks really fast and you more than halve the time stunned!

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
So I was fighting the Gigginox, and it got me in its broken bite attack where he only releases you once the purple bar goes down. As usual, I rubbed my palm back and forth over both control sticks to mash out as fast as I could...and I ripped the skin off my palm.

ARRRRRRGGHHHH.

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who keeps pressing L or R whenever they get hit really hard by a monster to try to tech the floor?

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
hahaha, that's great.

Dude, Cpt. Jane, what's your hunter's name? let's beast

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
So I was fighting the Gigginox, and it got me in its broken bite attack where he only releases you once the purple bar goes down. As usual, I rubbed my palm back and forth over both control sticks to mash out as fast as I could...and I ripped the skin off my palm.

ARRRRRRGGHHHH.
I blame the game for not explaining that you must use dung bombs to escape being pinned down.

Also, a question to online players: how long does it take for you to just connect and get into a city? And do you get disconnected often with "network instability" error codes?

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I find offline to be kind of boring but online is a blast. Nothing like working together to hunt down a couple of bosses.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who keeps pressing L or R whenever they get hit really hard by a monster to try to tech the floor?
Funniest thing I've heard all day lol, yea I've tried that too. At least you can powershield.

Anywho, just got this a couple of days ago, only done up to the level 3 online quest. Looking for someone to help catch me up/have fun with. Lance user. I'm just going to start friend requesting like crazy, so dont be surprised if I show up. Also, chat sucks on MH3, so if you have IM...

Name: Wolfang
ID #: 28RHPJ

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Didn't realize how annoying it is trying to hook up with other players online, since they actually have to be on-line for you to even search for their profile and friend request them lol...that's the Wii in a nutshell; always making things more difficult than they need to be.

JOE!

Smash Hero
so...gonna get this today, and i have a simple question:

on a scale of awesome to epic, how does this game rank to you?

Jane

Smash Hero
it is indeed awesomepic, however its not a game for everyone. some might not like it. dont let the hype ruin the game for you.

also youll have to play for a minimum of like, 4-6 hours before you really start getting it

Shin Bowser Meow

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinBowserMeow
3DS FC
4184-3865-2383
jane hit the nail right on the heart. Give the game some time before you cast judgement. When you decide " hey this game is pretty cool" hop online and hunt with me ~^.^~

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
So uh, Lagi timed me out yesterday on Flooded Forest....

Capping Lagi is possibly the most ******** mission I've had to try thus far. There's absolutely no room to dodge most of his attacks, there's a Gobul or a R.Ludroth waiting to team up and wreck you, and Lagi himself just hates coming out of the water even when he's clearly been limping. Everytime I went up on land to see if he'd follow all I get are the stupid Ludroths with deathwishes and Lagi just camps in the water shooting lasers and planking throwing lightning balls in my general direction or turning back into the narrow water zones. What were people thinking when they made this mission?! I spent an hour or two getting familiar with his moves that I can kill him with either LS or Hammer relatively comfortably on D.Island, but that doesn't matter when he runs the timer on a 50 minute long match.

*RAGE*

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
If you continuously hit him in the back, it effectively stops him from using lightning for awhile, unless you are using an cutting-only weapon, then that takes forever. As for other monsters, its not a bad thing that they show up, since they hurt one another. You lay a trap and one gets caught, normally pisses it off and it leaves the area, or you can just run.

Idk what to tell you about dodging, since I have a shield lol.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Some of the only down sides of this game is the in game communication sucks, and your friend has to be online in order for you to find him.

one of the two can be solved by buying a keyboard that goes into a USB port.

Top Bottom