• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[-= MONIS I =-] : Cancelled.

chansen

Smash Lord
WI can loosely be translated to Empire, and I guess IL would be a good enough Rebel Alliance.

In all seriousness: I am getting the empire insignia tatoo over mine heart.

chansen

Smash Lord
Quaz didn't you lame out on smash? You should come to madison some time. We got a spare room with a guest bed. And Smash and Nazi Zombies.

Wafles

Smash Lord
If by chance SMYM is held on the same weekend as this I will cancel melee and make this brawl only.

IL vs WI crew battle should be 6 vs 6

WI crew?
Probably Hunger, Sago, Grimace, Fatboy, Kish(if he comes), and then I duno.

Like I said I'd like to be on it, and my tournament placing puts me just as good or about as good as Grimace/Fatboy lately, but we'll see.

hunger!

Smash Champion
just make it sago and hunger vs IL. we get more stocks.

but seriously. brawl crews is the dumbest thing in the world. i wont be on it. =P i seriously could care less about playing gay and campy to conserve stocks. and in crews, that's when it's REALLY bad. screw singles =p

Ethan.

Smash Ace
but seriously. brawl crews is the dumbest thing in the world. i wont be on it. =P i seriously could care less about playing gay and campy to conserve stocks. and in crews, that's when it's REALLY bad. screw singles =p
atta boy.

grimacetpp

Smash Apprentice
just make it sago and hunger vs IL. we get more stocks.

Yeah you could play like that, or you could take their stocks fresh with snake spikes.

Wafles

Smash Lord
Start talking to some other states about it, and pick for yourselves what you want to do about that. I'm not going to organize a melee crew battle since I dont' know much about melee and I suck at it, but if you guys wanna go for it, you'll get priority on the projector when its happenin' and I'll do what I can to help.

chansen

Smash Lord
It's official, The Empire needs to band together on this one. I know we got Sago, BiL and me at least. Im thinkin spikes and efan and a wildcard should be in order as well.

My vote is Big C or Kish.

SimaMatt

Smash Journeyman
ooo, I'll probably be coming to this. But would you guys hate me if I tried to get port town back on the brawl cp list? >: It's honestly a legit stage except for one area...

Landry

Smash Ace
Wafles, have you though about setting up a live stream at all, because I may be able to set something up if you're interested (provided the venue has wifi)

@Matty: Whether Aero Drive is put back or not you and I will play friendlies on it :)

Wafles

Smash Lord
Uh, Live stream is a maybe. If we get some more hype for this I'll gladly do it, but right now I'm not feelin enough hype.

MI, get your ***** here.

SimaMatt

Smash Journeyman
Yeaaah matty lets do this.

We need a good team name.

edit: I'm gonna call UW Milwaukee tomorrow.
Crow + Raven = Birds of Prey (Or maybe something slightly less corny >:..)

Wafles, have you though about setting up a live stream at all, because I may be able to set something up if you're interested (provided the venue has wifi)

@Matty: Whether Aero Drive is put back or not you and I will play friendlies on it :)
All right, sounds good! I honestly think if people learn the cars and safe zones they'll see it's a pretty decent cp.

I'll type up my argument for Port Town tomorrow ~_~ it's too late to do it now.

SimaMatt

Smash Journeyman
woo, here we go.

The cars are indeed random, however you shouldn't be getting hit by them if you glance at the background. The cars are easy enough to see coming (if they do come), and once you do see 'em coming you can start hanging out near the safe areas, or play risky and try to bait your opponent into getting hit by the cars. Generally, the safe areas are to the side or the higher platforms. With this in mind, it's your fault if you get hit by a car

THere's only one area (here) where you can't see the cars coming. In that case, just hang out on the top platform when that area comes up. The cars in this area don't have a hitbox for the second they appear also, so it's somewhat forgiving if you were on your way up there.

As for no ledges...I dunno what to say other than that's a cp for you. It gives some characters an advantages and others a disadvantage, but at least it's not as ridiculous as falco vs ddd on japes (or just falco on japes in general. Stupidly good stage for him...). If you're really worried, just ban the stage or use the track to help recover (I believe it has set knockback so it won't be killing you even if you're at 200%). I don't see many characters having a huge disadvantage or advantage on this stage.

Walkoffs. Well, Delfino, another stage that's commonly accepted as a cp, also has walkoffs in some of its areas. I haven't done exact testing, but I'm pretty sure that delfino stays on the separate areas longer than Port Town. I don't see many people *****ing about the walk offs on delfino, so I don't see why they should on port town. There are also walkoffs in Castle Siege that last longer than Delfino and Port Town. I do not see the problem here as long as they're not permanent.

The only thing inconsistent with this stage besides the cars is the ceiling, but it only made a few % difference when I was testing it and I wasn't able to replicate it since. It's incredibly unlikely the lower ceiling will affect an outcome on a match (or a stock even), but I felt I should mention it anyway haha.

tl;dr: It's basically Mute City with random cars that are easy as hell to see coming, and with much larger punishment if you get hit. Stay on the sides or higher platforms and you'll be fine. It's honestly a standard cp stage, you just have to be more careful than usual.

more info on the stage and its safe zones: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=217615

If you disagree with me please point out something specific. I've already established that the cars are easy to see coming and I gave a link to a topic that shows the safe zones, areas, and what areas the cars spawn in. If you're still skeptical...try playing on it for a few matches. I can't remember the last time I got hit by a car by accident ever since I learned the stage.

also ook, I'll do a 5 dollar mm on Port Town. 2/3?

ook

Smash Lord
also ook, I'll do a 5 dollar mm on Port Town. 2/3?

Ya :)

My big beef with the stage is the no ledges on the main platform, not the cars. That just ***** anyone who's up-b leaves them helpless (i.e. everyone except G&W, Jiggs, MK, Pit, ROB, Snake, Sonic, Yoshi, and maybe a couple others. It basically destroys more than 2/3 of the cast), since you HAVE to land on the stage and get punished. And there's only one, small, flat platform, so it's not like you can have any kind of mindgames with where you land.
There is only one way to recover on that stage, and it's ridiculously unsafe.

Basically if you have to use up-b to get back to the stage, you're pretty much gonna get *****.
not even to mention the characters with tethers or other sub-par recoveries who rely on grabbing the ledge for recovery, and have to get repeatedly hit by the track (or fall to their death).

At least on frigate (and Japes), it's only on one side, and has multiple levels of platforms, so you can just stay to that one side. Port town has no solution, it's just plain unviable for most characters to recover on.

also to make it even worse, that part of the stage moves away from you at the end of the transformations, so it's pretty common to have to use up-b, even at low percents.

Port town (IMO) is just as bad as Summit. Summit has no ledges, a somewhat random obstacle that kills in one hit, camping for safe areas, and is pretty much universally banned at tournaments. I don't understand why port town isn't the same way.

SimaMatt

Smash Journeyman
Interesting...A complaint about Port TOwn that isn't about the cars :3 This'll be kinda sloppy on my end, but here goes.

I feel like you're kind of exaggerating the punishment that happens if you recover, but at the same time I can't really prove you wrong. Haha. I guess all I can say is that other cps on the current list (namely norfair, japes, rc) give some chars huge advantages and makes others near worthless. Not implying they should be banned, but that's just how some counter pick stages are. I don't think Port Town is so bad that it makes characters "unviable" though (unless you're Link, but Link is pretty...tragic in terms of recovery.). If it means anything, Fox has no problem recovering on this stage.

Also, I know they're two completely different games, but if Melee allowed Mute City I don't see why Port Town should be banned. The no ledge platform existed in Melee with top tiers that had questionable recovery, and you got punished MUCH harder in that game. In fact, if I recall correctly there were no ledges at all in Mute City. Port TOwn has an area that actually has ledges at the very least.

Summit and Port Town are very different. I have much more experience with the latter, but at a glance I can tell you a few things different between the two.

-You're unable to recover under the summit. It must be from the side. This is way worse than Port Town's platform imo.

-The walls play a bigger part in the Summit than they do on Port Town. True, one of them slides down(terrible wording but you get what I mean right? lol) if someone is on it...but I did a few testings and I was able to get into killing % by doing a shine infinite with Fox more often than not, and at one point I was able to ddd cg bowser up to 325% before uthrowing him to his death. Both were done in training mode but I doubt the results would differ that much.

-This is glaringly obvious and probably expected, but Summit has the "anti-gravity" part for the lack of a better term. The stalling done during this part is way worse to the point that if I want to, I could make Fox (among other characters) virtually untouchable during this part. Port Town does not have an area that allows a character to be as untouchable as the anti gravity part of summit.

-Summit has one of the best songs in the game, Shin Onigashima (Irrelevant but ****, I love that theme so much ;_;...). On the other hand, there's Fire Field and Shotgun Kiss for Port Town...While on the topic of worthless things, Summit has a very pretty background.

-The fish is instant kill even if you're at 0%. The cars only hit you for 20% with huge knockback and won't kill you instantly, and can even be DI'd. Not sure how much of a difference di makes, but hey. I know both of these hazards fall under "you're fault if you get hit" category but I felt like I should mention it anyway.

-Summit has a..."solid" ceiling too. Yeah, it's kinda small, but I can imagine a lot of characters could abuse the hell out of it.

On a side note, I only camp for safe areas once I see the cars coming on Port Town. THe only time I camp for a safe area is the picture I linked in my other post. Otherwise, I generally have enough time to react to the cars coming in the background, and I have pretty slow reaction time when it comes to games.

But hey. It's all up to Wafs in the end. Just trying to give Port Town a fair shot. I know I'll be cping it for sure if it's legal...but no big deal if it isn't.

Finally, sorry if some things sound incredibly dumb or don't make sense. 3 am johns and whatnot, haha.

Wafles

Smash Lord
Here's a list of character advantages on that stage in my opinion. Reasons are in parentheses

Advantage:
MK (Many jumps, can fly over the cars easily, stage doesnt affect recovery)
ROB (Can Hover above cars, stage doesnt affect recovery)
Kirby (Many jumps, can hover over the cars, stage affects recovery slightly)
Yoshi (Super armor on the double jump creates very easy recovery, can also hover above the cars with double jump + egg throwing)
Dedede (See kirby)
Jigglypuff (Floats everywhere, but if hit cars kill at very low %)
Pit (Can fly for long periods of time, easy recovery, approaches below the stage with uair, stage doesn't really affect much for pit)
Pikachu (Recovery is not easily punishable if QAC is used, recovery can go for long distances)
Game and Watch (good recovery, can attack out of upB to not get punished too bad, can float above the cars if necesary)

Semi-Advantage:
Snake (Forced to recover high, however low recovery gimps leave c4 not an option at too high of %, however recovery shouldnt' be normally affected, and b-sticking grenades will help)
Lucas (Zap jump, magnet recovery, etc makes it easy enough to not get gimped by the ledge, cars are kind of an issue, but not as bad as many other characters)
Falco (Phantasm has insane priority, and makes recovering fairly easy, get below the stage and your recovery is probably ****ed and you will take lots of damage)
Peach (Can float, even under the stage to stall and probably survive)

Semi-Disadvantage:
Fox (Phantasm is much like falcos but with much worse priority, makes it a lot harder to recover, though easier to go under the stage)
Wolf (Same as fox pretty much, but while phantasm goes up a little bit and has a nice sweet spot it is way more punishable, same with fire wolf)
Toon Link (Decent recovery)
Wario (Bike recovery helps a lot)
Sonic (Decent recovery, helps that you can attack out of it)
Zelda (Teleport works nice, but punishable, but at least the stage wont destroy your recovery)
Charizard (Glide recovery should help)

Disadvantage: All these characters are going to have bad recovery issues, or are completely susceptible to the cars.
Mario
Donkey Kong
Link
Samus
Diddy Kong
Lucario
Ness
CFalcon
Bowser
Luigi
Sheik
Ike
Ice Climbers
Ganondorf
Squirtle
Marth (though shield breaker could help a little)

Completely worthless: Tether Recoveries. You're ****ed.
Olimar
Ivysaur
ZSS

This list of course only relates to that characters own playstyle. Obviously the characters themselves still have issues, but the stage helps some and hurts others and this is my opinion of it.

Personally I'm all for legalizing it, ban it if it's a bad stage for your character, or CP a different character who is good on this stage.

SimaMatt

Smash Journeyman
I feel Fox has a semi advantage there. He can go under the platform and recover using a raising fair. Not to mention he can shine stall if he's far away from the platform until it goes into an area. Call me crazy but I'd rather play Fox at Port Town than DDD.

Wafles

Smash Lord
hunger port town isn't even on right now, right now i'm just encouraging a little debate about it

and I'm nowhere near as bad as OS. =)

Landry

Smash Ace
OS is the man, I said it. But yeah, to be honest I feel like Aero Drive is a fairly legit stage. Play it like 5 times and you won't die from the cars, I promise. Although, if it's really that big of a deal that people don't want it then just leave it banned, because it's not worth having upset people.

ook

Smash Lord

Wafles

Smash Lord
It's not even legal yet, and I dont give a **** whether or not it is. Odds are it'll stay banned unless all of a sudden there's overwhelming support for it.

We get it already, you don't like it.

Top Bottom