• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ModestoLand

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
we need to do a screening of janky promoters just because it sounds fantastic and i think it wouldl enlighten us and improve us as people

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
http://www.anyclip.com/movies/the-janky-promoters/rappers-arrive-in-modesto/
skip to 0:30 for modesto goodness.

p.s. look what i found
James Ferrario Standoff

On April 12th, 2012, Modesto, California resident James Ferrario shot dead a uniformed deputy police officer and a locksmith who had come to evict him from his house. He then barricaded himself inside, and caused a standoff with local law enforcement.[13] Shortly thereafter, a troll posted an AMA thread on 4chan’s /b/ board, claiming to be Ferrario.[14]

The news of the standoff was quickly picked up by Sacramento FOX affiliate KTXL Fox 40.[13] A reporter made the mistake of featuring the aforementioned /b/ thread, and claimed that Ferrario had a gorilla fetish (due to numerous Jimmies-related images being posted), saying that he called himself “Jimmy Russel” or “Jimmy Rustle.” Once /b/ got word of this, Jimmies jokes exploded over the thread, and spread across the site.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
just a record of my lost sets in the past 3 weeks:
bizzarro flame: 1-3, 0-3
dp: 0-3 (though i won gf's)
lucien: 1-2
bob$: 0-2
sfat: 0-2

victories:
a lot

sacramento: 1st
merced: 2nd
fuddruckers: 5th

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
I think the Karate Kid is a pretty cool guy. Eh sweep the leg and doesn't afraid of anything.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Shoutouts to kenny for the modesto goodness

And andre, who'd you beat at the fuddruckers tournament? And did you enter Project M?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yes, i went undefeated in project M and made it to winners finals. on the other side of the bracket, i think i was waiting for alan, sfat, or shroomed, but the bracket couldn't finish because sfat and shroomed were constantly in the melee bracket. my best character is bowser, though i also use fox, marth, and peach since they are very intuitive. i won some matches with them, but mostly bowser. i think my matches were recorded and will be uploaded on jb's channel.

in melee, we did pools

the only person i lost to was lucien. i lost 1-2, it was a good set. i 2-0'd everyone else, including azusa, a peach! i asked a friend if i should stay ice climbers, and they said yes! so i stayed ic's and was able to beat azusa convincingly. the lesson of in merced of NEVER COPPING OUT AGAIN really paid off. i 4-stocked like half my pool bc they didn't know the matchup lol. there was walt, funkyfresh, silly goose, and 1 or 2 more but i forgot them. funky fresh asked me to go falcon because he knew he would lose badly to my ic's, but i still 2 and 3-stocked him with falcon lol. it was funner for both of us though

in bracket:
defeated berto 2-0 (not close)
lost to bob$ 0-2 (both games close)
defeated bluefoxxt 2-0 (not close, he was demoralized after losing to boback in winners and also losing a bad match in p:m)
defeated zeldafreak 2-0 (close)
lost to sfat 0-2 (not close)

edit: oh yeah, project M bracket. i don't remember it completely, but here's what i remember

defeated silly goose 2-1. he bodied my bowser with sonic using some crazy tricks that i've never seen before. it was clear he had put in some extensive practice. in game 2 i picked fox and won by spamming bairs. and in game 3 i defeated his ike wth peach. it was clear that he had practiced the game more than me, but i won with basic fundamentals.

i defeated another player 2-0. first game i won marth vs link, which was surprisingly tough. i think game 2 was also bowser vs ike and i won.

i think the last match i played was vs hostility? idk who he was. he played as ike. i won 2-1. i think i lost game 1 with fox and then won the next two games with bowser. i think ike is a clear bowser counter, so i am going to have to change my main next time i play the game in pleasanton, or maybe just keep getting better with bowser.

this is just to hold out until ice climbers get released though.... :p I'M WAITING FOR THE DAY

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Yeah berto said you ***** him lol...how was your set vs sfat? I'm curious because earlier I asked him how he dealt with ice climbers, then he had to play you!

edit: Lol we lost to the same people.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hahaha wow. i guess it only makes sense since we were opposite sides of the bracket and tied for 5th. next time we'll get those upsets!

i got 2-stocked and then 1-stocked. i was really on point on my last stock. i really didn't want to lose and stepped up my game, and it also looked like he got lazy and just wanted to finish it. other than that last stock... he was really dominant.

basically, all his decisions were made confidently and quickly. i could tell he had a good enough amount of experience to know what to do. he hit l-cancels that most other "average" foxes would have missed, especially on my double shield and even light shields. he knew which grabs to use and when, and used usmash/dsmash/fsmash at the right time when other foxes would've been afraid to get grabbed.

there is an ideal zone to be in when you play against ice climbers: within their wd range, but outside their grab and fsmash range. it is a very specific zone, but it is incredibly dominant for all the top tier characters because they can spam moves and be safe. as ic's i have to keep you out of that zone by either trying to get away from you or closing in for a grab, fsmash, dash attack, or something.

sfat, bobby, and lucien all defeated me using that zone. i am gonna try to learn and invent new techniques to increase my advantages. i also lost all my matches due to technical errors, especially vs bobby and lucien where i clearly could've won the game if i didn't mess up a grab combo.

as for sfat, i just need to play against fox way more and get used to everything he can do, so that i can adapt properly and be able to see more of what's going on when fighting him. sometimes i just feel stuck.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
I have to learn that against you because Boback is too aggressive for that. There is no safe zone against Boback lol (well, unless I get him above me).

edit: What do you think about Azusa? I think he's the "next guy".

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm. i guess what i'm talking about is a little more advanced metagame

for an ic's like boback who will fearlessly wd toward you, you just have to throw out moves to disrupt his rhythm. it took a while for me to learn that wd forward is actually BAD vs reactive players, and good players almost always have good spacing and reactions. as ic's, we need to pick and choose the times we approach, and if an ic's always approaches he will get hit by stuff.

keep in mind that when an ic's wavedashes, there is like 10 frames of lag while they are wding. if you are in that special range, they can never wd toward you safely.

if he is approaching first, either bait and punish, or try to suffocate him. ic's need to be more tactical to win.

as for azusa... i think beating him was a very major step on my part.

i have always lost to peach and ganons because i tried to use secondaries. after merced last week, i vowed to never do that again. i was seriously about to go fox or young link against him, but i asked some people if i should go ic's, and they said they really think i should because my ic's were doing well that day. they were obviously noobs who didn't know how bad the matchup was, but it was very good that they believed in me.

anyway... about him and not myself lol...

i feel like he's good, but i couldn't get a good idea of HOW good he was because i didn't try fox or falcon or anything like that against him. in my match with him, it felt like his moves were extremely telegraphed because he didn't know the ic's matchup. i knew when he was going to pull turnips and when he would dsmash. it's like i could see 2 steps ahead and he could see 0. i won the bad matchup due to an advantage in experience. he understood peach's moves, but other than that i can't really make a solid judgment since the pool matches were the only time i played him.

if he plays with you and berto, though, i am pretty sure he will be good and he will get better. he tied with alan, after all

MasterShake

Smash Lord
I see many parallels between him and myself. He has so much character knowledge and innovation from only playing ONE person for like all his smash career and he has barely entered any tourneys. He also takes a character that many people consider played "best" one way (defensively) and has his own cool-looking playstyle. I think his problem right now is straight inexperience and nerves. I am very much looking forward to him entering every tourney this summer and getting more practice. Norcal is sooo strong it's awesome.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah, i look forward to that too. i can see the potential in his style.

peach, like fox, is a very adaptable character. some characters HAVE to be played a certain way to win, but since fox can out-speed every character and peach can out-trade every character, they can choose their options to their liking.

that said, there are very distinct peach styles.

there's the DADS peach - macd being the best. zoap and paulstothewall are similar. they go in super hard using broken-*** moves. very much a trial and error style, and macd's current style is the result of a successful DADS peach. i swear he doesn't think sometimes LOL (or all the time), but he has been able to grind a lot in socal and knows many situations.

there's the speed peach - xif, mike G. they like frame traps and cool combos and they focus on making peach as fast as possible.

there's the "gay" peach - peach that plays efficiently and goes for very simple mixups. they also float a lot and run away until they get easy opportunities. basically pink shinobi after he started playing to win, and vidjo

then there's the smart peach, like armada, who incorporates all of the above. i feel like azusa fits in this category and will keep improving. it takes some discipline to not want to go for ballsy dash attacks, but i'm sure he'll figure things out as long as he has the fire.

peach is freaking hard to win with at higher levels. she feels like falcon... unless you go SUPER HARD, learn a lot, have tons of characters, and play your *** off every single game, you can't win. so good luck to him

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
some people think.... but maybe i should stop thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the DADS ice climbers will revolutionize the metagame... forever

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
LOL

i used to think macd's style was super whack but after watching more videos of him recently... i find it hilarious and awesome to watch =D

also that specific ic's range...

i've been doing that against luigi and ic's for yearssssssssssssss lol. and there is a jman vs chu dat video from a few years ago that shows jman abusing the **** out of this strategy. i'll try to find it later

Shroomed

Smash Master
I really wanna play more Project M with no Toon Link allowed because his projective to upB combo is ridiculous.

And his upB is just ridiculous period.

Not OP if you can play the MIRROR BRO. Play toon link and outplay other toon links. EZ. What the **** am I talking about. I play ****ing yugioh and that **** is so unbalanced I can't even play top tier mirrors since it's Pay2Win

I want this project M...and maybe I'll try to get good at melee this summer. MAYBE. I've been in a competitive spirit as of lately. If only Kenny was around for some hyperbolic time chamber practice. I'll probably be too busy playing turn based game tournaments though :(

Someone invite me to a melee tournament around the area

haha man people are always making early judgments. if i commentated i would be very sensible!
Probably, people find out how to deal with things and the meta develops to a state where it should be relatively balanced if the game mechanics aren't *** (and they probably are good since it's based off of melee)

MacD

Banned via Administration
i'm glad i have fans because i play weird i guess......?

whatever. i always find it fun to hear what good/well versed people think of my style. noobs just *****ing are stupid though

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lmao nick do it

such a cool game

dang even armada can't get away from the modesto thread. too good dude

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
the modesto thread has been international since mikey moved to the home for infinite losers.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
hi armada i love you :)

p.s. mr. satan is the only warrior in all of the db universe that hasn't actually died in any timeline. how's that for badass?

Top Bottom