• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ModestoLand

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
"he who knows how will always have a job. he who knows why will always be his boss."

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
hey nick, im off today (wed) and tomorrow, if you wanna come smash call/text me i shouldnt be doing much these days. ˆ_ˆ

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
alright guys, since i get ***** in nor-cal now, i think i can attract a lot of rapists to the modesto tourney.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
WRONG ANSWER, KFC!!!!!

the correct answer is "yes"
we also would have accepted "hell yeah mutha ****a"

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Now that Biz is ranked we'll have foreign players fly in for modesto tournaments from every conceivable country, just so they can play him. And to reduce the rate of car theft at these tournaments we'll start holding all the Modesto tournaments in Tracy. YEEEEEEEEEeeeeeee

The date of the tournament isn't really important though Jr, since it's obvious you'll be there regardless of what day it's on

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
Joemang, i think august 69th might be a slightly better day, you know with the Dow Jones and the stud muffins and whatnot.

:phone:

SuperSkeetBro

Smash Journeyman
So ummm whose down to smash in tracy this wed or next sat. Those r mmy days off even tho one ofthem i mite b tradin with someone. Who is available on each day or both

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I'm free next wednesday, but only after 5:30 (because of work). I might be busy saturday but I have no idea right now

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Dang, well I just realized I'm actually busy after 5:30 tomorrow too so I don't think I'll be free until the weekend now. I'll let you if I can head over on saturday instead

sorry to cancel last minute super skeet bro

this ****ing game needs to be run on a swiss pool format with some top 32/16/8 single or double elimination cut off tournament. Double elimination sucks and round robin / idkwtf pools is garbage. I just noticed how terrible smash TOs are after sitting around Krier's tournaments for random stuff. I am sure melee tournaments could run way faster like SF tournaments without the swiss pool format if TOs are that lazy to implement it.

Well that's okay Nick, I don't know if I can show up on saturday, maybe. Nick have you had time to talk to John yet?

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
what do you think makes a tournament of SF run much faster than melee tournaments?

i feel that it is the discipline of the individual players, but what i just said is an alleged (stated without proof) statement.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
pools + double elimination just happens to be timely

swiss would be great for small locals. lots of games and accurate results. but not everyone knows how to implement it, which is why it isn't widely used.

SuperSkeetBro

Smash Journeyman
Its cool gk. Whose down for saturday? Choknater fine ill mm ur ylink for a dolla if it gets ya down here. Il show ya what 7 years in the temple of time will do for ya

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I don't think that swiss is necessarily faster but I do think it produces better results and everyone gets to play more which is a bonus.

And I don't actually see the point in making sure a tournament gets done quickly anyway. I like how smash tournaments tend to run at a lackadaisical pace. As long as the tournament finishes before the venue closes, it doesn't really matter how quickly it gets done. I enjoy playing friendlies in between tournament matches to help me get ready for my next set.

I haven't been able to talk to john yet though. Or rather, I haven't been to Modesto at all in the last week and a half and haven't bothered to drive over there just to talk to him. I'll get around to it soon (maybe)

Also I bet Su $50 that I wouldn't go to a MVC3 tournament within the next year. LOL free money

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah, it's only at majors that smash needs to actually prioritize finishing the tournament at a fast pace. evo is freaking amazing for managing thousands of players. i really want to go next year to see what it's like. it's become sooo huge.

but yeah, swiss for locals would be amazing. do you know how it works, nick??

Well, I think it's just more efficient overall. I don't see how you can't save time instead so you can have more time for friendlies without being interrupted. And I agree with with biz, part of the reason they run slower (at least for melee) is due to player attitudes. They get told to get off friendlies and they sit there, TOs are too nice about giving game losses or even DQs for such behavior. I mean I've been looking at the way tournaments are run at Krier's and they're always on schedule except for those rare times when the number of swiss rounds have to be changed due to less or more people playing than what is normally experienced.

I've seen swiss pools with around 500+ people work well in a timely manner, computers help ease up the trouble, but then again TOs for melee tend to do their work for free or even at some minor cost of their own to host tournaments. You can still have hype matches by creating a cut off double elimination tournament at top 8/16/32 depending on the size of the tournament. That way people can focus on one match at a time.

Nick, I could probably ask John for you, well at least to give him a heads up on it

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
go for it adaias. i'm free for 3 weeks dawgs!!!

i don't know much about TOing apart from double elimination, and yelling outp eople's names for matches.

i'm pretty good at ****** brackets and commentary though :)

Top Bottom