• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ModestoLand

I almost want to try playing brawl again, but there's only one character to play and I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble playing a game with a one character roster. I guess I'll stick with the modesto monthly smashfest instead

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah brawl is terrible LOL ppl were booing at genesis 2 finals

m2k and ally, metaknight dittos on brinstar

sucks that the metagame has to be that way. i mean, there are some really good and flashy characters like peach, marth, and diddy... but unfortunately that's not the best way

yeah brawl is terrible LOL ppl were booing at genesis 2 finals

m2k and ally, metaknight dittos on brinstar

sucks that the metagame has to be that way. i mean, there are some really good and flashy characters like peach, marth, and diddy... but unfortunately that's not the best way
It's the old fox-puff consistency argument. MK has some 50-50 match-ups against characters like fox, falco, snake, and diddy, but those characters take a decent amount of tech skill and thought (not snake really, but you have to be very smart with him). Tournament endurance is something that is very important and MK is just too easy to play instead. Planking is still pretty viable in brawl even though you can beat it, it's just annoying to deal with for an entire tournament.

You see this sort of stuff in a lot of competitive games. Consistency is too good. I looked at the brawl brackets and half of the games were MK dittos or some bs. How often do you see fox mains win national tournaments? It's pretty obvious that fox is the best character.

Are the genesis 2 melee games up yet? I don't exactly feel like looking at the projector ones. Taj is OP

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah. the thing about brawl is that.. the BEST way to play the game is to be very systematic and very safe. with metaknight, there are hardly any reads... there is just a SYSTEM of metaknight that has to be downloaded, but it's nearly unbeatable

also, because of the games pace and character designs, there aren't enough characters that can actually carry a rushdown style and be successful with it. that has historically been the most ENJOYABLE way to play. so even if brawl can be legitimately competitive, the lack of rush down sucks the fun away from the game.

like hbox vs armada at G2 which i just watched... i was one of the very few people who actually enjoyed that set, and that's only because young link is my favorite character. people just don't like watching camp fests. people like speed, hype, mixups, and good reads.

Yeah true. I actually laughed at the first ally v. m2k finals game. Everything they did was mirrored. Shuttle Loops, ftilts, glide attacks, dsmash...and it was about who pressed the buttons first for a lot of that first game. I didn't bother to watch the other ones. I remember MK dittos being a bit more entertaining than this, but I guess they figured out how to simplify the match-up even more.

I wonder when a more up-to-date version of project M will be released. I fixed my Project M. I think it had to do with leaving the "lock" switch on my SD card on....I took it off and the codes always loaded up right. Should have noticed that earlier

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
maybe melee's competitive community will outlive brawl's.

the depth. it's too good. i can't get my brain to fully move on. lol

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
kenny u been watching the latest sets from genesis? so godlike lol.

man the world will celebrate so hard if u come back to cali :(

u think if u make enough money and find a job here you'd come back?

UGHHHHH i'd sleep on you and show you my sweetness....

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i'm not saving a whole lot of money, but the plan is to move back to california after brian (my roommate) is done with his degree here. due to complications that i don't feel like explaining, he can't transfer before he gets this degree. that should take like 2 more semesters. lol might as well be forever.

i've been watching some of the genesis videos and it's crazy to me that people are still improving.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
l;jf;LK:LAFK

that sounds awesome man. i would love to see you back in cali. mad people remember/miss you. even PP wants you back in modesto hahahaha.

i had a short conversation with him at genesis 2 and i brought you up, hes like "i love kenny"

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i think only modesto actually knows i left. lol

2 semesters is like 8 or 9 months, right? idk. we'll see what happens.

on a side note, i just finished the first match of hbox vs armada and it was intense.
so good.

brandon and phil were saying it's bad for the game to play like that, but i don't support a full matches commentary being spent talking **** about the players. how is that good for melee?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol yea i agree with you. if i commentated on that match it woulda been godlike, and a lot more objective cuz i actually know what hbox was supposed to do. armada's stuff was mad safe though, i give mad props for learning the matchup like that

but if hbox could shield in front of young link and then punish jumps and stuff...... total ****

the secret to beating young link, link, and samus is SHIELDING. they can't shield pressure, and their grabs are very bad. hbox was just trying to maneuver and aerial ylink, but bomb beats all of jigglypuff's aerials. i tried to give hbox tips before the last match but armada just practiced the matchup too much haha.

shoutouts to Hack

LOL

i wanna see Hack (Kirby) vs Hax (Falcon)

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
i think we've talked about it

and i don't mind putting money up on my pride, even though odds are i'll lose it since you're a better player than me

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i'm too tired to enjoy them right now, but i watched a few sets from g2 tonight and it influenced me to spend a half hour against a lvl 1 for ol' time's sake.

melee's flame is beginning to burn through the curtain i used to hide it from myself.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
no kenny

these sets

are complete **** from the most godlike fox in the world

you can enjoy them no matter what!!!!

but if u wanna wait till ur energized

that's fine too

those matches are fox at his finest though

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
damn man, after being able to watch those sets from mango in a more objective fashion (as opposed to the complete and utter hype and biased chanting from a live spectator pov) it's oh so very clear that mango and armada are unquestionably the best two players in the world, and even more clear that armada is a ****ing beast. jesus christ armada is good.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i just spent over a half hour saying i'm a female on omegle just to get guys to role play so i can say this:

*i whip out my huge **** and yell, "GET READY FOR MY SWEETNESS!"*

Your conversational partner has disconnected.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
there's one that's still on youtube with hella views, but it has disclaimers all over it.

i like to think of it as a real skittles commercial. lol
such good production value.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
mango vs armada
holy ****ing ****

that is a better peach than i thought possible

- mango had the crowd and the homefield advantage
- that match up is in fox's favor (imo)
- mango's fox at g2 is the best i've ever seen fox played

i wonder if mango is going to keep playing like that, or if he'll go back to not caring.
i wonder if he's salty or not.
armada deserved the win, imo.
but man, mango's fox made me a fan so i wanna see more.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
The sets that stood out to me and are probably worth watching:

-M2k vs Mango
-Mango vs Taj (both sets)
-Hbox vs Armada (Game 1, just because of how close the ending is. Game 2 because of the low tier dominance. Overall the set was comparable to brawl though. The last stock of Hbox vs Shroomed in the EC/WC crew battle was like that too. Both players really wanted to win and just played hella safe the entire time.)
-Mango vs Hbox
-Haxbox vs Wobbles/DoH with Choknater commentary (for the hbox 2v1 comebacks)
-Mango vs Armada

Top Bottom