• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ModestoLand

I think I told everyone else I won't be going. Can't be smashing half the week when it's finals. I'll be playing smash on sunday.

Man I've been watching too much Korean tv lately. A lot of starcraft, random tv shows, and whatnot. ANGRY WHOPPER AD

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
jr is sooooo good

really fun matches

im glad i was able to keep up

edit: lol foy i will get off on that puff easily

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
back and forth with jrs fox, i think my ics ended up winning more. definitely were games though where he just got off by doing some platform camping haha

by the end of the day though (mad tired both of us) his marth adapted and won more, its hard to defeat those spaced fairs. i did learn really well how to space marth though, especially with that anti-nick camping, the nana blizzard popo blocks is really legit vs marth. i learned a lot about both matchups.

i love playing really good players. jr is patient, makes strange approaches, jumps over me when i shield, and gets good grabs. makes me really force myself to gain confidence and make some approaches, but not to do anything rash like dumb wd smashes. man, intense games

I sometimes think Jr. is a bit too patient and lets others think on how to get through his defences. He definitely better than all of Modesto, but I notice some small details.

Man the more I play fox, the more I get frustrated. Everyone hides in their shields all day. I can shield pressure, but I sometimes still mess up and it costs me a stock with the type of characters Modesto likes to use (Marth, puff, peach). I could attempting grabbing more or shine grabs, but that seems more difficult to do than just shield pressuring on auto-pilot. At the last smashfest I was certainly doing a whole lot better with auto-pilot and memorizing patterns.

Just get that peach out and drill through those shields right away instead....

Find me a recent national tournament where fox won and I'll keep playing fox over other characters. Oh well I'll see how I do on Sunday without fox

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yes jr is too patient sometimes but you can tell that he purposely doesnt go for the best options sometimes. he does dumb stuff becaues thats how he plays, and it 'makes sense' to him in his mind. the imperfections i notice in his playstyle make him who he is. as long as his spacing and edgeguards are good, it doesnt matter. it is also REALLY effective in tournament play for JR to play the way he does because people get nervous.

it is VERY refreshing to play a player who makes the game wins not only based on strategy and momentum.... but mindgames, reads, patience, and creativity.

in short, i love jr, and exploiting his 'doing nothing' moments is a LOT harder than you think.

idk if u guys should judge really good players based on how u do against them, cuz if u think about it, u have to realize that ur not always playing close enough games where u force them to try. i know against mccain, and SOMETIMES brandon and jr, im at least good enough to make them try a little harder in friendlies. but realize that really good players have a tendency to not necessarily try in friendlies, because theyd rather space, exploit ur habits, and try new stuff... because its funner.

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JINb3ov2xk

This is what im going to do to Andre if i ever play him.
not bad, foy. I cant wait to come down to play even more.

And btw, joe. . . mang. . . it's not looking good, son. . . . mom beez wanting to leave 4 vegas on sunday. . . . trying to find a way to come anyways, but its not looking good. . . I will let you know tmw on this thread or you cann text me at 916-606-5658 and i can get a holdof you later with the details if u want. . . mang

I think you're right about how Jr's playing style throws off people, and I think it's because how people learn to play the game. Copy someone else's excellent style and improve your tech skill. Not a whole lot of creativity going on. Marth has a bunch of good, situational moves he can pull off which are just as good or slightly worse than his cookie cutter moves.

I'm sure Andre knows I am the sort of person who adapts to these weird play styles from just looking at brawl matches. I should really mix-up my game too in melee. I should bring back my d-throw tech chases since they worked so well against people even though it is normally the suboptimal choice to make with a throw.

I really need to get out of this mediocre playing status soon

edit: Does jab after someone's failure to tech at the end of peach's dsmash guarantee anything?

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
god****it why do people call me patient

i try to be as aggressive as mother ****ing possible

i hate you all

what do i need to do mang!!!

and yeah alot of players are sooo cookie cutter now

spammy foxes suck

creative aggressive foxes ftw <3

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
u have the potential haha, just gotta keep your head up. kenny called u a mini kenny haha, cuz u play characters u think are the best and then ur confidence gets a little thrown off when playing melee. sometimes u should just do what u think is awesome and think of cool ways to get off

and yeah... if u can imagine...

besides just being weird and patient, its also funny that JR got better from playing his stockton crew... when he started, it was FOX, FOX, SAMUS, DK, LUIGI, LUIGI. basically, dittos, 2 extremely floaty floaties, and a monkey who gets 0-deaths on fox.

i got better from playing peach players, computers, a really campy doc, and a really aggressive YOSHI. who we play also affects our play style, cuz yes, its how we learn.

adapting to weaker matchups can be HARD. i can attest to this cuz jr's ness is strangely good LOL. theres pressure there because the other person can be really fluent in a matchup while u have to learn it from SCRATCH. jamies yoshi would get off on random fast faller players but i will pretty much NEVER lose to any yoshi ever with falco.

i think this is why it can be hard for newer players like you or kenny or nick or whoever who joined the tuornament scene kinda late. ive been to many tournaments where i had to face the weirdest matchups and the weirdest playstyles, whereas you guys tend to focus on what you think are the best playstyles and imitate players like jman, m2k, armada, or whatever.

i had to beat players like Jimbo from merced who would randomly up-B with falco, not approach with lasers, and my icies woudl still get one-stocked...

playing as many different playstyles as possible makes ur ability to adapt so much better

lol jr even if u dont say u are patient

u still jump over shields and utilt rather than just pressure like 'regular' foxes.

but imo urs is better

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
Man the more I play fox, the more I get frustrated. Everyone hides in their shields all day. I can shield pressure, but I sometimes still mess up and it costs me a stock with the type of characters Modesto likes to use (Marth, puff, peach). I could attempting grabbing more or shine grabs, but that seems more difficult to do than just shield pressuring on auto-pilot. At the last smashfest I was certainly doing a whole lot better with auto-pilot and memorizing patterns.
edit: wall of text for adaias and myself.

i know EXACTLY what you mean. everything you say makes me think you're a mini-me! it's like... i went through this with my fox and am still going through it.

i see that he has potential to be the best character in the game, but only when played absolutely perfect. i don't have faith in myself or anyone else to pull that off so it makes fox not as good of a character as i once thought. you have to work your *** off to get in 20 to 30 attacks per stock and all some characters need on fox is one or two some times. it doesn't pan out the way you think. people make mistakes and play sloppy. even more so when they aren't their main. peach is so much more comfortable in high pressure situations than fox for me. fox is my forced main. i like him and i still will play him more than any other character, but i've gotten rid of my expectation to just play perfect, which is one of the only ways to justify going all fox.

there's a lot to learn in this game that isn't techskill related and you and me need to be reading that text book and stop barking up the techskill tree. i'll be playing more simplistic characters like sheik, peach, and samus if the match up isn't against marth lol.
idk if u guys should judge really good players based on how u do against them, cuz if u think about it, u have to realize that ur not always playing close enough games where u force them to try. i know against mccain, and SOMETIMES brandon and jr, im at least good enough to make them try a little harder in friendlies. but realize that really good players have a tendency to not necessarily try in friendlies, because theyd rather space, exploit ur habits, and try new stuff... because its funner.
TL;DR "i only got 2 stocked by (insert good player here)" doesn't mean jack ****.
edit: Does jab after someone's failure to tech at the end of peach's dsmash guarantee anything?
it guarantees you are gonna get cc dsmashed. have fun.

Well that's good Kenny. I was talking from the perspective of a peach. Another dsmash in is too good.

What about Ness on Corneria? I heard he's broken on that stage

Anyways the only time I really hate playing is when I am playing fox and some ****** keeps shielding, waiting for me to mess up. I don't want to play fox anymore. It's just very lame having to sit there and wait for the shield to disappear so I can get some dumb grab or nair -> shine in. I don't think I get frustrated with other characters because they're obviously more efficient and if I lose it's because I feel I simply got outspaced, outpredicted, outplayed the entire match and not because I pressed a button 2 frames late and get ****ing rested or chaingrabbed to hell and back and lose a stock in a couple seconds

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
me and keith enjoyed watching you guys play at andre's.

i liked watching each of you adapt to the weirdest things.
you went gradually from both of you playing fox/falco to ****ing ness vs ylink. such a weird transition but fun to watch with good players. if i was watching like... nick and spenser playing that match up i would die... kirby vs zelda = me dying..

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
just grab them adaias, it pays off

foxs jc grab is reallllly good

yea jr adapted to my blizzard/iceblock treatment hahahah

after that i was out of ideas ♥

just grab them adaias, it pays off

foxs jc grab is reallllly good

yea jr adapted to my blizzard/iceblock treatment hahahah

after that i was out of ideas ♥
Yes, well I need to get a controller to learn how to JC grab better. I am not confident about using it when I am using a controller I am not familiar with.

I should get one asap

edit: haha, I think I am trying too hard to get better too quickly, but that's how I do it in every game I play.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm yeah

its not so bad a movement to memorize

u can already do shine sh nairs and stuff

jc grabbing is way easier, u just run, and then press up Z

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
and not because I pressed a button 2 frames late and get ****ing rested or chaingrabbed to hell and back and lose a stock in a couple seconds
HAHAHAHAHA
yeah i know exactly what you mean.

if you really main fox, you have to deal with that. you have to come up with safer bets instead of trying to do what you know will work but only if pulled off frame perfect. if you like puff or peach more, play them more. don't stick with fox because you think he's best you fucking tier whore. just play who you like the most and feel the most comfortable with. peach is my roots. my first real main. i will always feel as comfortable as peach in her worst match up as i do with fox in his best.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i just go for the technical stuff because its fun lol

ill pretty much go for anything besides multishines and shine bairs, i think those are just dumb

multishine has some utility but i dont main fox

foxes cant handle mah ics tricks hahahaha

sfat - i will beat u next time

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
that's what i like to hear andre.

your ic's vs jr's marth/fox was really fun to watch. you guys aren't even ranked!!!! hahahahaha

hm yeah

its not so bad a movement to memorize

u can already do shine sh nairs and stuff

jc grabbing is way easier, u just run, and then press up Z
I was talking about JC shine grabs. I can do JC grabs ez. I've been able to do that since the beginning of time. Fox is old school, but I still like his technical play at times.

too tsundere there.

edit: I will learn how to platform and laser camp with fox. Have to keep that "passive aggressive" fox style and ditch trying to play offensive because I am not going to surpass people who have been playing that for years

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
shine grabs aren't hard. no where near as hard as your "perfect" shield pressure.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
lol suwoo

you're trying to learn too much and get good too fast

just play the game and your natural sense for the game will increase with time...

then after that.. get godly

cant expect your tech skill to be frame flawless when you barely started playing like at genesis

oh yeah and stick to 1 character man

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
well, for now lol

we are all different

i got good by learning like 20 characters <_<

but yeah stick to one main

lol suwoo

you're trying to learn too much and get good too fast

just play the game and your natural sense for the game will increase with time...

then after that.. get godly

cant expect your tech skill to be frame flawless when you barely started playing like at genesis

oh yeah and stick to 1 character man
Yeah, I should, but I probably won't. Started playing too late to be patient with a slow learning pace. Steamrolling through as much as I can. Also, you should give me advice on the next smashfest I see you at. More tech skill grinding

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
if u want to play aggressive use falco.......

♥♥♥

you can literally just play aggressive the entire time and then adjust ur movement when u get punished.

thanks to mick, kim, macd, and level 9... i can autopilot on any peach and not lose

macd - i'll beat you next time

if u want to play aggressive use falco.......

♥♥♥

you can literally just play aggressive the entire time and then adjust ur movement when u get punished.

thanks to mick, kim, macd, and level 9... i can autopilot on any peach and not lose

macd - i'll beat you next time
I would tear out my hair with falco. I hate how fragile fox is, falco is even more fragile. I will stick with fox

Top Bottom