• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ModestoLand

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i mained makoto in 3rd strike i dont give a **** about tiers!

when im losing i'll just play chun cuz she ***** lol

and yes kim/me/dotey would play for hours whenever theyre around

its usually chun/viper/sagat over and over and over and over

we cant go anyone but our mains cuz dotey stays sagat forever and hes good LOL >_<

adaias, i think Lcanceling was a way to punish a scrub for hitting your shield, like a parry.
adjusting your Lcancel timing allows you an escape for getting "parried".

tilting your shield is part of the metagame these days. you only play against modesto so you wouldn't know what the metagame is like. up until this year we had link, yoshi, kirby, and zelda mains. as for design flaws, you're focusing advanced competitive concepts in a game with pokeballs and stages that constantly move and interfere with the fight.

tl;dr, cool story bro.
I haven't gotten around to tilting my shield in melee. I do it all the time in brawl, I try to squeeze out whatever abuse I can get out of being technical in brawl whether it's an edge cancel, tilting shields, SDI, etc. I'm still trying to improve my main game in melee since it's fairly mediocre for the current metagame. I do well versus Modesto, but you know it's Modesto.

But I see what you mean. If you're playing with/against those sort of mains...you wouldn't ask yourself "is shield tilting worth it?"

I've only played SF2 Andre. Haha Dotey plays the hadouken metagame? Actually the SF and MvC series are probably the only ones where I don't say "Top tier or no tier" because in my opinion they get really bland for those sort of fighting games. MvC2 is always legit even if it's the same teams over and over as long as Yipes is commentating.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
basic advice to modesto players on what u guys need:

keith: matchups

kenny: mindset

nick: spacing

adaias: experience

me: tournaments

i feel like nick and adaias still have to 'catch up' with the current metagame but u guys learn every time u play so its all good. everyone and their mom is good at melee, but u guys play really good characters so it wouldnt be hard to adjust.

oh nick, stop dash dancing to turn around bair. sometimes u do random things like dash dance and wd which are not exactly helping ur spacing. they can be good, but only when they have a purpose.

also, do the "mango" where u hit someones shield, fade away a little bit out of shield grab range, then wait + react. its the easiest bait in the game and very easy to do with puff.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
oh nick, stop dash dancing to turn around bair. sometimes u do random things like dash dance and wd which are not exactly helping ur spacing. they can be good, but only when they have a purpose.
when nick decides to "randomly" dash or wd back, i know the nick combo is coming.

nick combo = dash <,>,<,wd repeat until he gets punished.

nick, L2conciouslyspace. the subconscious will follow.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
spenser you are an irvine player and you should ashamed of yourself because you live in one of the strongest regions in the WORLD and you needa step it up

;)

if zhu and macd can handle going to school at uci and **** at smash, you can too

GKInfinity

Smash Champion

also, do the "mango" where u hit someones shield, fade away a little bit out of shield grab range, then wait + react. its the easiest bait in the game and very easy to do with puff.
when nick decides to "randomly" dash or wd back, i know the nick combo is coming.

Yeah, I've gotta stop doing that **** lol. I feel like I always need to be moving or pressing buttons which is why I do, but it clearly doesn't help spacing or really achieve anything useful. :psycho:

OHHHHHH

ANDDDDDDDDD

I found another potential venue.

Pros-
-Open from 11am to 10pm
-We could have tourneys on saturday
-There's a pretty large tv in the room which I'm sure they would let us use

Cons-
-Venue is way smaller (and kriers wasn't that big to begin with)
-There may not be enough power outlets (although I haven't really checked so I'm not too worried about it lol)

I have to talk to the guy/chick who owns the place still to make sure it's all good, but I'm pretty sure it'll be fine. And it's not like kriers is a bad venue at all, but the earlier closing time makes it pretty hard to finish on time.

Edit: The first tourney will be at kriers regardless though. I'm just throwing out the fact that future tourneys might be held somewhere

Heh.

Fox all day, need to learn more trixies. I still want either puff or peach as secondaries for when I'm not feeling too well or when my tech skill starts going downhill after a couple hours of playing

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
Is there anything going on this weekend?

if you broskies want we can have a mini smashfest at my house or something, could probably only have like 2-3 setups going at once though total, unless you wanna be semi cramped up. dont forget im always down to smash if anyone wants to come over, that is until i get my car fixed then hopefully i can be hitting jr up more often.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
**** son i just got a new urge to get good at melee again

ima **** ...

watch out....

the comeback is coming

and why is the most inactive player in modesto (andre i think) still the best player???

step it up guys LOL

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
spenser you are an irvine player and you should ashamed of yourself because you live in one of the strongest regions in the WORLD and you needa step it up

;)

if zhu and macd can handle going to school at uci and **** at smash, you can too
you're right man

frankly though my therapy will help me in more ways than one =)

gotta stay on the bright side of things and care for the things that are most important to me while recognizing what has to be done

all so I can earn my happy future

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha looks like it's working man

maybe i need summa dat

btw im trying to figure out how to beat terran wall ins and marauders

it seems they are mad staple in every matchup

fungal + ling + banelings (for the marines) looks like the way to go

i need to start learning how to use infestors

Miztik

Smash Master

ima **** ...

watch out....

the comeback is coming

and why is the most inactive player in modesto (andre i think) still the best player???

step it up guys LOL
hey ***nugget you do realize nobody plays right?

like me and kenny dont play enough to be considered "inactive"

this game blows more dudes than kenny on a bad night

only people who still play are keith/adaias/nick and somewhat andre

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i dont even practice as much as i used to now haha

my fart smells like mcdonalds

wow gas passes thorugh your body quickly

Yeah Modesto only plays like once a month now. That's about all the practice we get.

Also wow the new pokemon starters are out. They look ****ing ********. I was hoping it was some fake, but it's a scan from CoroCoro or whatever.

I am disappointed so far

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
Yeah Modesto only plays like once a month now. That's about all the practice we get.

Also wow the new pokemon starters are out. They look ****ing ********. I was hoping it was some fake, but it's a scan from CoroCoro or whatever.

I am disappointed so far
yeah i saw that scan the other day. the fire and grass type ones look pretty tight but i'm disappointed with the look of the water one. but either way i wouldnt go off how good they look from their pre evolved forms.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i like the fire pig

a BULKY FIRE POKEMON????

i hope they did something to fix stealth rock lol

the water pokemon is an otter

i like the fire pig

a BULKY FIRE POKEMON????

i hope they did something to fix stealth rock lol

the water pokemon is an otter
yeah SR ****ing ***** the metagame. That aint sheik's chaingrab. But really I think twice about picking flying and bug types because everyone and their mothers uses SR. I don't use SR myself anymore since One turn advantage lets me tear people apart from turn one. SR is really scary for those lucario counters that are flying types, but I use no SR weak types now...

Yep poor fire types can't even be used at OU level of play except for infernape and heatran because they negate the weakness by having another type.

Yeah I'd like to use moltres. Moltres is so good, I think moltres is the best fire type pokemon in the game (besides Ho-Oh). Stalltres has no counters outside of bulky waters, but enjoy having no surf PP and getting the business from toxic

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i wanna play all you guys in melee!

one day i will... or die tryin!!!!!! (good **** kenny, i love saying that after any action)
haha nice. i still heart you, boo.

ima **** ...

watch out....

the comeback is coming

step it up guys LOL
to simply "step it up" will not heighten one's maximum potential.
haven't you ever heard of the concept of being or not being a "natural"??

inb4 pessimistic blah blah
you're right man

frankly though my therapy will help me in more ways than one =)

gotta stay on the bright side of things and care for the things that are most important to me while recognizing what has to be done

all so I can earn my happy future
explain this to me asap please.
i'm really interested in what you've said, but i feel like i read it out of context.
if it's lengthy, a PM will suffice.

hey ***nugget you do realize nobody plays right?

like me and kenny dont play enough to be considered "inactive"

this game blows more dudes than kenny on a bad night

only people who still play are keith/adaias/nick and somewhat andre
i ****ing love how half of your post doesn't make any sense at all... unless you really think about it.

I'm pretty sure Modesto has the potential to be good. You can improve almost in everything with a little bit of work. Modesto is too lazy to even bother playing smash once a month so you know what the result of that is.

I've been getting better and better every time I play smash with someone. Like HMW would say, I'm putting in work.

Kenny practice your peach instead of your fox? Playing fox feels like playing an uphill battle honestly. I enjoy playing fox for some reason though I am pretty sure I told you that one day last summer where I said I'd never play fox because he's difficult haha

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i feel like kenny's spacies have improved past his peach

but a main is a main hehe

no matter how good i get with falco

it's just not the same and i perform 5x better in tournament with iceys

kenny u got this

i bet if u pick up peach again she will be immediately better than ur spaceys

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
i wanna go back and have that everyday session with kenny

that will either motivate him to get better

or say whats the point? LOL

i think what sucks about modesto is we all live in separate parts of the city

we played alot more when me, jamie, mike, and edy all lived on the same part of town

plus modesto needs more than one person on different sides to drive

cuz no matter who it is, there always one person that drives for some reason

Operation: "Get Modesto Good"

we got this!

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
Kenny practice your peach instead of your fox? Playing fox feels like playing an uphill battle honestly. I enjoy playing fox for some reason though I am pretty sure I told you that one day last summer where I said I'd never play fox because he's difficult haha
if you think fox is an uphill battle you're trippin'. he's one of the best characters for a reason. him being good outweighs everyone knowing the match up, imo.
i feel like kenny's spacies have improved past his peach

but a main is a main hehe

no matter how good i get with falco

it's just not the same and i perform 5x better in tournament with iceys

kenny u got this

i bet if u pick up peach again she will be immediately better than ur spaceys
i agree that your falco always seems better each time but it's not your ic's.
i can feel myself getting the advantage over your falco but something about your ic's is just smoother.
a main is a main hehe
technically, my peach is prolly a little worse but overall about the same as it used to be.
fox is too good.
i wanna go back and have that everyday session with kenny

that will either motivate him to get better

or say whats the point? LOL

i think what sucks about modesto is we all live in separate parts of the city

we played alot more when me, jamie, mike, and edy all lived on the same part of town

plus modesto needs more than one person on different sides to drive

cuz no matter who it is, there always one person that drives for some reason

Operation: "Get Modesto Good"

we got this!
more like YOU got this. ha
i'm out of that game.
i'll play when someone's here to play but idk about trying or practicing anymore. haha
i barely notice a difference in when i practice and when i don't.
i'm just not the type to dedicate myself to anything... ever...
i'd be down to play every day for a while though.

"modesto is dead but too lazy to bury itself." -Lumpy Higgins

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
if you think fox is an uphill battle you're trippin'. he's one of the best characters for a reason. him being good outweighs everyone knowing the match up, imo.

i agree that your falco always seems better each time but it's not your ic's.
i can feel myself getting the advantage over your falco but something about your ic's is just smoother.
a main is a main hehe
technically, my peach is prolly a little worse but overall about the same as it used to be.
fox is too good.

more like YOU got this. ha
i'm out of that game.
i'll play when someone's here to play but idk about trying or practicing anymore. haha
i barely notice a difference in when i practice and when i don't.
i'm just not the type to dedicate myself to anything... ever...
i'd be down to play every day for a while though.

"modesto is dead but too lazy to bury itself." -Lumpy Higgins
LOOL well lets play melee whenever im out there =)

Modesto is pretty much just Nick, Andre, and myself now.

We'll see if anything happens once Nick gets his tournaments going. I'll keep playing as long as there's one other person playing melee.

Play aggressive against Andre's ICs. He hides in his shield all day waiting for you to make a mistake to grab you. If you don't get hit by those WD smashes and pressure his shield, you should do fine.

I still get ****ed up by his WD dsmash though I shouldn't LOL

Edit: Someone teach me the fox v. falco match-up. What do I do about a CC falco? I should try to grab, but I am bad at getting grabs

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ics wd smashes too fast for the naked eye :)

fox kinda has to stay in falco's face so that lasers dont impede him too much, but also avoid getting pillared

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
LOOL well lets play melee whenever im out there =)
yayuhzz

nice pic of me in your sig.
Play aggressive against Andre's ICs. He hides in his shield all day waiting for you to make a mistake to grab you. If you don't get hit by those WD smashes and pressure his shield, you should do fine.

I still get ****ed up by his WD dsmash though I shouldn't LOL

Edit: Someone teach me the fox v. falco match-up. What do I do about a CC falco? I should try to grab, but I am bad at getting grabs
i odn't know how to kill ic's with fox. i know to jab though lol.
i shine a lot.

i think i'm decent at fox vs falco. um... it's all about positioning. camp plats and learn to bair alot.
if you space a bair, he can't cc shine you or shield grab you. you're only as good as your follow ups. once you hit him, don't give up control until you have to. also edgeguarding is supposed to be easy peasy in this match.

also what andre said.
ics wd smashes too fast for the naked eye :)

fox kinda has to stay in falco's face so that lasers dont impede him too much, but also avoid getting pillared
it's good to be just barely inside the horizontal distance of falcos short hop laser.
i think pc or someone said that.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
where are the noobs talking about pokemon, all i see are guys talking about melee =)

i mean that in the nicest way possible

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i totally owned jr and jaime and i quit melee again.

most of my frustrated remarks are exaggerated as a way for me to laugh about it.
so jr, just know that i think your marth is hella good, but i'm too good at fox vs marth.

Top Bottom