• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ModestoLand

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
apparently you can stall forever in hell by holding either the left or the right arrow so the piece gets stuck against the wall.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
man, hell sucks lol

And unfortunately something's already going on may 23rd so the tournament can't be then. So sorry keith, but the tourneys gonna be on may 30th. Some good news though is that the store is actually open until 7 so we've got one more hour than expected. Also, venue fee's gonna be $2. Anyway, i'll post the tourney thread later or tmw... in the meantime you guys should think up a catchy name for it.

And huh, this is my 500th post. It also made me realize that I average less than 1 post per page in this thread. Not legit

Haha Nick. About 600 of my posts are from this thread alone. I have posted a bit in some brawl match-up threads, but the only thing that goes around those threads is bull**** trolling. All those people who post all day in match-up are not even good players except for UTDZac

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Yeah I'm not expecting that many people for the first tourney, and honestly there probably won't ever be that many. I'm considering scratching doubles and having singles start between 1pm and 2pm. 5 to 6 hours should be plenty of time for singles, and I don't think doubles will be missed too much anyway.

Apparently RJ asked to host a street fighter tourney there a while ago and they shot him down though. I'm kinda wondering if future tourneys will even be an option there...

Oh and I just remembered something really ****ing random. While I was waiting to talk to the guy at kriers earlier I noticed this lady who was presumably 35 years old talking about yugioh strategy while she was eating a carrot. LMAO, I just found it as being really odd

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
LOL freakin nerds

thats like the next level lol

even i feel like i dont have a life sometimes

but **** haha

singles matches for hours sounds fun tho haha

if i can get some BARLW in

Nick, I remember an adult woman who played yugioh there. Know the guys who run the place too.

I remember that I didn't try playing games like magic because all the people who played looked thirty and up. Probably people who played magic as teenagers back when it was released who still play. Maybe I'll give it a try and learn it while I am there

Edit: Andre, it's a life if you enjoy whatever **** you do LOL.

G&W's nair is ****. Huge hitbox, pretty much no landing lag, combos into itself, can't DI it because of the way the hitboxes form. Probably one of the top moves in the whole game. Meta Knight having the majority

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
if you scratch doubles and have a lot of time left over, you can always do a side tourney.
what if we did a budokai temple game tournament? hahah

call the tournament "MoDestruction Monthly" or not even the monthlies part since it won't be monthly.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
whatever works, you guys

also we really should be sure to throw some business to the krier's guys when we do this

i'm gonna buy some magic cards when i'm there :D

...maybe...

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
do they have food and stuff there? if so that'd be a pretty decent enough of an incentive to have a bunch of us there. i wish i were still into pokemon cards i'd buy a couple packs haha. if the tourneys get up and going decently we should incorporate a percentage of the pot to them.

do they have food and stuff there? if so that'd be a pretty decent enough of an incentive to have a bunch of us there. i wish i were still into pokemon cards i'd buy a couple packs haha. if the tourneys get up and going decently we should incorporate a percentage of the pot to them.
There's taco bell, in-n-out right outside the place.

I have some trading cards still. The pokemon metagame is so wack now. I looked at some more of the new cards and the **** plays like the real metagame of DPP. It's all steam rolling and broken combos.

Back in the old days you had what you thought were broken cards like bill (drawing two for one is mad broken).

I still have some yugioh cards, but not really anything special. Pretty much a a budget deck. I remember I walked in kriers just for no reason, bought some yugioh booster pack because I thought the image on the front was great. Got the dragon (Cyber Dragon) on the front of the booster pack image. Walked out $30 wealthier than I came in. The card was in huge demand at the time so it sold for good money. But I pretty much spent those $30 in buying a bunch of cheap $1 holos and staple cards to play people.

Kriers sells cards really really cheap compared to even bargain websites online. I haven't been there in like 5 years so...it could be completely different.

tl;dr Kriers is legit

Edit: Also I just finished a full 8 hour physics study session.40 hours of material Hesse never even bothered to mention all at once. Pretty legit for a group study session. We all know how those work usually

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
haha pretty legit

kim's home

he's so nice and got me a beta key for sc2

we're gonna play tonight
andre you should scrim with me and teach me how to be pro at scII.

i keep getting steam rolled online, either that or i end up turtling until i run out of resources THEN get steam rolled lol.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Andre and Kenny are leaving so it'll just be me, adaias, keith, and anthony left. And anthony isn't all that into smash anymore (although kenny isn't really either I suppose)

Kriers does sell cards and stuff for pretty cheap though. I looked at some of the stuff while I was there on Saturday and some stuff is as much as 40% cheaper than the usual price. They don't have food there but they do have a vending machine, so I guess you could buy a soda or something to give the guy a little extra money. There is gonna be a $2 venue fee too so they'll make a little bit off of that as well.

And yeah, I didn't really think about it but as Adaias mentioned Taco Bell and In n Out are hella close which is pretty convenient

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
im not moving till like august or september

i do approve though of nick/keith getting hella good! :)

im gnona be playing sc2 a lot though

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
starcraft starcraft starcraft

i ****ing hate how well blizzard is doing.

from 91 to 95 blizz just made random *** games that i've never heard of in todays world.
from 96 to present they've only done things that directly involve the either the warcraft, starcraft, or diablo franchises.

paytoplay just ***** so hard. those *******s intentionally make the game as addicting as they can. i give them mad props now but in like three years they're going to own banks and taco bells and wal marts and ****. what's microsoft?

tl;dr blizzard is successful

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
WHY THE FUUCK DO I HAVE TO LIKE MELEE
gawd dammit that game is so fUucking sick.

starcraft, brawl, counterstrike, wow, ssf4, modern warfare... they're never going to be melee.

Melee is a decent game, but like every game it has some HUGE design flaws. Lagging when you don't press L when you land would be one of them. I think melee is worth playing though it's dumb at times.

At least it's not as degenerate as SF4, but I don't know anything about SUPER SF4 so I'm probably wrong now

Xilo Pryce

Smash Lord
Krier's is legit, I used to go there all the time in my pre-smash days... and some days after.

Magic is awesome

I want a SC2 beta key

I recently aqcuirred Blazble, Blue Dragon, and Dead Space. I'm also about to finish my 3rd play through of FF8, have been playing a lot of CoD4, and am currently in the Halo Reach Beta.

Also, played Melee today, a set is going up on youtube I think

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Melee is a decent game, but like every game it has some HUGE design flaws. Lagging when you don't press L when you land would be one of them. I think melee is worth playing though it's dumb at times.

At least it's not as degenerate as SF4, but I don't know anything about SUPER SF4 so I'm probably wrong now
lol @ always being pessimistic. i've never seen anyone ever describe an L cancel like that

negative description: lagging when you don't press L
real description: pressing L to cancel lag

and street fighter 4 is amazing what are you talking about. even if things look simple, the level of execution ALWAYS takes a part in fighting games. u seem to always try to be calculating in your strategies to win, but even with the perfect strategy it takes **** good execution to see it through, and there are always counters to every move choice you make, and there are almost always counters to every character you pick

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
negative description: lagging when you don't press L
positive description: pressing L to cancel lag
real description: pissing kenny off when it comes to shields

mike, upload.

It's bad design Andre. There's no choice in deciding if you should L-cancel or not. I could write a book on bad design decisions like L-cancel in melee, but most of us are used to l-cancel so we don't mind. There's no positive or negative way to view it. Wouldn't the game be better if you didn't lag when you didn't L-cancel? That's the question I was implying by saying it was bad design. If people started tilting their shields when they get hit, then maybe I'll change my mind about it since it makes people think about adapting to that change.

Well that's the thing about SF4 that I never liked. The hadouken metagame was all about execution and countering it with good execution. Of course the game wasn't completely degenerate which is why you still have consistent good players at the top. I don't know about the newer S SF4. I'm pretty sure the changes they've been making have been improving the game. The old SF4 is gone so I guess my words don't mean much haha.

Anyways how good is Juri? She looks like a fun character to play

Makes me wish Nintendo would have done something like assigning some changes to brawl to help balance it out with a patch every 6-12 months. I think the gap between brawl's top / bottom tier is much larger than melee's gap and even then Meta Knight is heaps better overall versus the entire cast than Snake.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
kim and i played ssfiv today

MAKOTO AND DUDLEY

have u ever even played street fighter? lol. u should play dotey for hours LOl freaking sagat

i wonder if i can take doteys sagat with makoto

its so weird to see 3rd strike and alpha characters in the same game lol... but its pretty cool!! cody's knife is too good

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
yeah cody is the ****, hes probably going to be my alt character. i was playing rj yesterday and i thought that i hadnt played in enough time that i was going to suck it up, but i was doing pretty well. i even did a couple FADC ultras. if the smash scene dies enough that i literally cant play anymore or get better at all anymore because no one is around, i think i'll probably get into SSFIV.

on an unrelated note, i need to get around to watching gurren lagann soon, i'm excited though.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
adaias, i think Lcanceling was a way to punish a scrub for hitting your shield, like a parry.
adjusting your Lcancel timing allows you an escape for getting "parried".

tilting your shield is part of the metagame these days. you only play against modesto so you wouldn't know what the metagame is like. up until this year we had link, yoshi, kirby, and zelda mains. as for design flaws, you're focusing advanced competitive concepts in a game with pokeballs and stages that constantly move and interfere with the fight.

tl;dr, cool story bro.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
u guys are legit

makoto is awesome lol but i dont understand how to apply her mechanics in ssfiv yet. im playing her like its 3rd strike lol, even in 3rd strike she had a weakness to shoryukens.

shes all about dash spacing which can be very intense. she does NOT benefit from turtling LOL, compare her forward dash to her back dash....

no reliable anti air, not even that up punch thing. she has to stay outta the corner!

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
u guys are legit

makoto is awesome lol but i dont understand how to apply her mechanics in ssfiv yet. im playing her like its 3rd strike lol, even in 3rd strike she had a weakness to shoryukens.

shes all about dash spacing which can be very intense. she does NOT benefit from turtling LOL, compare her forward dash to her back dash....

no reliable anti air, not even that up punch thing. she has to stay outta the corner!
lol andre why are you playing makoto she has to be like low to bottom tier. when rj was over the other day he was practicing and completing (thanks rj) all my challenge modes for chun and ibuki, he seems pretty legit with ibuki. i gotta get my spacing game up to par with ryu, and maybe develop a footsies game as well. do you have any exp playing with a stick andre?

Top Bottom