• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ModestoLand

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
i wasnt really able to to join in the naruto section, but it was good times. we left at like almost 6 am and the sun was coming up haha. playing yesterday really humbled me, and helped me realize that my marth and especially my falco are still hella garbage, and i have a lot to learn. it also helped me realize they both also kinda suck in teams. i am thinking about picking up puff for teams now

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
keith your marth is actually good in teams

you are not bad at all, it's just matchup troubles which can easily be remedied by experience, or even watching videos

and dont let nicks zelda get you down hehe once u figure out zelda that matchup is MAD EASY

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
yeah ive been watching a lot of m2k and ken marth lately, basically from an outside standpoint looking at the way i play i need to be less aggressive with fairs and stuff, and incorporate a little more dash dancing.

haha and all those zelda matches were pretty fun actually, first time ive played and was just messing around in a long time and not taken it too seriously. are you in town brandon?

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
what if you rented a movie from netflix and about two hours into the movie, right at the climax the wombo combo audio fades in...

my fox vs andre's falco was the funnest smash i've played in a long time.
i wish i didn't enjoy it so i could quit smash more easily lol.

ggz andre. you're ic's are mad hard. (liek mah diick)
good matches against my falco during the first half when i actually felt like playing.

adaias, don't get all discouraged. you look like me when i lose in friendlies. haha
don't be like me. you have potential but you lack human practice. playing andre all day won't prep you for someone with keith's style of play. you know what i mean?

i'm pretty good at smash. i should train you so you can carry on my legacy. yayuhzz.

p.s. fuuck recording.

I did pretty well in teams considering all I did was not mind anyone else and just practice my tech skill in place and every once in a while I'd shine spike some people.

Sure is repetitive fox here. Well I am satisfied that I have learned the Fox v. IC match up. All I need is to get better.

Kenny, I was somewhat bored after everyone went to do their own thing after doubles. I am so sure the main reason I was losing to Keith was because I was playing too slow. My reactions were slow, my tech skill was slowing down too. I never play against marth, but this is something I'll work on. Whatever, there's next time.

Back to m2k style of getting better at melee. Memorize situations, frames, more tech skill, etc. I play on auto pilot all the time in melee since I feel like I don't need to think much unless it involves someone teching into a roll or something like that where mix-ups need to occur for either player. I sure think a lot less playing melee than...brawl hahaha

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
melee is more feeling than thinking, that's for sure

all the thinking is done in the matches kinda beforehand or between.... it's hard to adapt in the middle of matches, since sometimes the focus is more on establishing and maintaining a lead and/or momentum

that's just me though

in brawl, adapting can be done in the middle of a match, which is why it can be so intense (though to uneducated spectators it looks like boring spacing, thats why i play non gay characters baby)

melee is more feeling than thinking, that's for sure

all the thinking is done in the matches kinda beforehand or between.... it's hard to adapt in the middle of matches, since sometimes the focus is more on establishing and maintaining a lead and/or momentum

that's just me though

in brawl, adapting can be done in the middle of a match, which is why it can be so intense (though to uneducated spectators it looks like boring spacing, thats why i play non gay characters baby)
Yeah true. In melee about the only time you have to think about strategies without worsening your position is after you kill someone or they kill you. Play on reaction and auto pilot.

Since brawl isn't rushdown, there's plenty of time to think and adapt. Playing rush down will get your *** ***** ASAP in brawl unless you have impeccable spacing. I guess MK can get away with it, but a lot of other characters have to play slower to make sure the spacing is good.

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
Yeah true. In melee about the only time you have to think about strategies without worsening your position is after you kill someone or they kill you. Play on reaction and auto pilot.

Since brawl isn't rushdown, there's plenty of time to think and adapt. Playing rush down will get your *** ***** ASAP in brawl unless you have impeccable spacing. I guess MK can get away with it, but a lot of other characters have to play slower to make sure the spacing is good.
you can definitely adapt mid match in melee

you just have to find that habit in someone's game and exploit it

thats how i got better since i been playing

if your playing on auto pilot, then make sure ur spacing well, cuz chances are you won't beat someone as good as you or better than you on auto pilot

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
you can definitely adapt mid match in melee

you just have to find that habit in someone's game and exploit it

thats how i got better since i been playing

if your playing on auto pilot, then make sure ur spacing well, cuz chances are you won't beat someone as good as you or better than you on auto pilot
i think thats one of the main reasons i suck as much as i do, because my playstyle is so reactive (though marth compliments it to an extent) and people will exploit my seemingly slow playstyle by staying in my face. but i hope to one day get better at the reactive dash dancing game (like m2k's marth) to be able to overcome this obstacle.

p.s. pc's marth owns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRuJC9KrW-k&feature=related

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
if you're thinking more in brawl than you are in melee, it just means you're not thinking fast enough in melee!

"adapting" can be as simple as "this guy is rolling a lot... let's look out for it" or "ah ****, he keeps reading my tech into the stage, let's mix it up"

edit: btw im posting in this thread cuz im just randomly browsing pac west at 7 AM before a midterm. don't mind me

if you're thinking more in brawl than you are in melee, it just means you're not thinking fast enough in melee!

"adapting" can be as simple as "this guy is rolling a lot... let's look out for it" or "ah ****, he keeps reading my tech into the stage, let's mix it up"

edit: btw im posting in this thread cuz im just randomly browsing pac west at 7 AM before a midterm. don't mind me
I mentioned how you still have to consider your rolls and your opponents rolls, and the mix-ups involved in it. I just don't see people changing their playing style within a match in melee very often because it's fast paced. I guess that's limited adaptation

Also Kenny, Keith pretty much agreed that anyone who can play aggressive can take him on. I mentioned how I wasn't playing fast enough to overwhelm him. I'm still not used to making the best out of my shield pressure when I manage to eat away the shield and shine. I should practice my grabs out of shine.

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
I mentioned how you still have to consider your rolls and your opponents rolls, and the mix-ups involved in it. I just don't see people changing their playing style within a match in melee very often because it's fast paced. I guess that's limited adaptation
quick thinking mah dude!!

Also Kenny, Keith pretty much agreed that anyone who can play aggressive can take him on. I mentioned how I wasn't playing fast enough to overwhelm him. I'm still not used to making the best out of my shield pressure when I manage to eat away the shield and shine. I should practice my grabs out of shine.
if you can't pressure him, than don't until you learn how

use platforms with fox vs marth, since your pressure isn't on point yet

if you know he's gonna utilt on the platform you plan on jumping to beforehand

then don't go on that platform,

b-airs are pretty good vs marth as fox

and yea adais (im 90% sure i didnt spell that right) and everyone else in this thread

u got this!!!

HMW, yeah, but the random kept picking FD. I should laser more to force him to approach quicker and then play offensive in close combat. Reminds me of the puff match up for some reason. What should I do when I play on Yoshis? Marth seems to reach the whole stage in a push of a button or two

I'll just keep practicing. It's an unknown match-up for me so of course I am going to be thrown off guard until I learn it.

Ah fox v. falco. I need to learn that next

Xilo Pryce

Smash Lord
I try to think in melee, and when I try really hard, it pays off, generally.

Though, what do I know, I play it against an actual person like once every month or two, and against a competitive player even less

But my opinion still matters... right?

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
i really enjoyed myself and think we should play more often. i know youre pretty busy somewhat often andre, but suuwo if you guys are up for playing, hit me up whenever. that includes you too nick. i definitely need to learn space animal matchups with marth and i think all of us would greatly benefit from playing together more often. we can always smash at my house whenever if you have a ride. also, brandon, are you coming home anytime soon? and whats up with the pc chris situation?

oh and edit: i finally got around to getting my beta key for scII, **** kicks *** son. i need to get back into the rts groove though since ive been out of it for so long. someone should show me some strats and ****.

i really enjoyed myself and think we should play more often. i know youre pretty busy somewhat often andre, but suuwo if you guys are up for playing, hit me up whenever. that includes you too nick. i definitely need to learn space animal matchups with marth and i think all of us would greatly benefit from playing together more often. we can always smash at my house whenever if you have a ride. also, brandon, are you coming home anytime soon? and whats up with the pc chris situation?

oh and edit: i finally got around to getting my beta key for scII, **** kicks *** son. i need to get back into the rts groove though since ive been out of it for so long. someone should show me some strats and ****.
Well, I can only go to your place if someone drives me there so if Nick goes, I can go.

Just watch videos to learn some key strategies. However, one really solid tactic I've seen is blocking off ramps to your base with buildings if you play protoss or terran. Since SC2 lets you choose what side of the building you want to spawn on you can block entrance to your base while getting units out on the other side. Good way to guard against ground unit rushes in my opinion.

From here you either research warp gate for protoss to warp outside your base or lift your terran buildings so that you don't get stuck.

I don't know any good cookie cutter tactics for zerg other than some boring memorized builds. Make sure to abuse queen's larva spawn and other abilities to the max. I'm a pretty average SC player so there's not much I can teach anyone haha

melee melee melee melee melee melee melee melee
bad games bad game bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games bad games

Nick any updates on your TO plans?

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
HMW, yeah, but the random kept picking FD. I should laser more to force him to approach quicker and then play offensive in close combat. Reminds me of the puff match up for some reason. What should I do when I play on Yoshis? Marth seems to reach the whole stage in a push of a button or two

I'll just keep practicing. It's an unknown match-up for me so of course I am going to be thrown off guard until I learn it.

Ah fox v. falco. I need to learn that next
full jump behind marth on fd and b-air, but watch out for the uptilt

once you hit marth it should help lead up to even more hits and whatnot

also, brandon, are you coming home anytime soon? and whats up with the pc chris situation?
i have no idea, and for pc we still need a date

but i need to see my doctor who's still out there so idk

whenever i do go modesto, hopefully everyone is down to play melee or whatever

lets go to jr's house or something =)

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Oh, and I'm going to kriers tmw to set the first tournament date. What's better for you guys, the 23rd or the 30th?

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
of this month? if so the 23rd by far, because i know i'm not working. oh and nick, you should grab suuwo and come smash today or this weekend sometime.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
"cause i'm so patient and i wait for you
jason might have started it but you can emulate it too"

"don't take it personal fellas... we don't take it personal when you run away the whole match and press B."
hahaha

Oh, and I'm going to kriers tmw to set the first tournament date. What's better for you guys, the 23rd or the 30th?
every day is equal for me so i'm only quoting this to tell you that you have a sick *** avatar.

Top Bottom