• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG 2014 Feedback / Discussion

Acryte

Smash Ace
I'm fine with legal wobbling but I'd much rather see Blizzobbling, handoffs and dair chaingrabs tbh just feels more melee.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Let's not turn this into another Wobbling debate and just take our generally accepted ruleset which would be: Wobbling allowed and 6 stages (FD, BF, DL, YS, PS, FoD)

FlowinWater

Smash Champion
Awesome! I probably won't be able to go since I am in the military with a family, but I'll deforest watch it on live stream!

HOLLA

D

Deleted member

Me, and I'm sure alot of others really want brawl to be at MLG in 2014!!

Tero.

Smash Champion
why is there no censorship for using "brawl" I mean I'm not allowed to say "bull****" or "****" either

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
That's very productive, Tero. That will definitely help to improve the Melee scene. Thanks for your hard work.

pelotaz0

Smash Cadet
One problem with Brawl is that despite being enjoyable if you play (for some people), it's not a good game for watching. I mean, non smashers can enjoy watching Melee without knowing so much about the game, but it seems to be different with Brawl imo.

FourStar

Smash Ace
Honestly I don't hate on brawl because it brings in international players from all over. Like i actually think watching the japanese players are way more entertaining than any American Brawl player lol.

With that said I'm glad Melee is growing in Japan after I went to a tournament in Japan. AND DAMN THEY ARE GETTING GOOD.

I hope to see some Japanese players come to MLG events. Especially one player by the name PL (pierre)

FourStar

Smash Ace
What does the scouter say about his power level? Can you compare his skill level to someone known?
ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!! LOL all jokes aside yeah he is very solid player just not very well known. He is a samus player and does very well in japanes tournaments. As for talent.... well watch this video and you be the judge of that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnG6oQq4RIU

EDIT: sorry for the bad audi, just ignore it

caLviN-1260

Smash Apprentice
NNID
caLviN-1260
Does anyone know when the qualifiers for this will start happening? I believe there was another thread about it, and about contacting some of big names in Smash to help out. I'm still praying for a Prog-Wife commentator duo <3

Bones0

Smash Legend
Does anyone know when the qualifiers for this will start happening? I believe there was another thread about it, and about contacting some of big names in Smash to help out. I'm still praying for a Prog-Wife commentator duo <3
I think the only one confirmed so far is a Columbus qualifier on Feb 22nd.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
If it were between Brawl and Melee to be present at MLG events, I think most would agree on Melee. Its better suited for the spotlight.

Nemy

群れ
If it were between Brawl and Melee to be present at MLG events, I think most would agree on Melee. Its better suited for the spotlight.
They arent debating which game to use, theyve already stated they will support both games.

Solid Jake confirmed today on twitter the MLG Grassroots program for Melee and Brawl. 4 Qualifiers in the USA, and working on others in Europe/Canada/Japan. The first being Shuffle V on Feb. 22

caLviN-1260

Smash Apprentice
NNID
caLviN-1260
It's looking good so far, lets just hope Melee will get that big stage treatment (for the top 8 at least) that every other game gets at MLG Anaheim. Still praying for that Prog/Wife commentator duo

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I wish Brawl was treated better at Shuffle with regards to stream time. There were lower level Melee matches going on on stream at the same time as super deep Brawl matches as far as I know, and I don't think that's fair.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I wish Brawl was treated better at Shuffle with regards to stream time. There were lower level Melee matches going on on stream at the same time as super deep Brawl matches as far as I know, and I don't think that's fair.
It wasn't so much super deep in the bracket as it was that Brawl was so stacked at that event that Top Level players were playing in loser's outside of Top 8.

Meanwhile M2K vs RandomJoe1342 in Melee was being streamed

Hopefully things are run better wrt the stream at future MLG sponsored events.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Disagreed, Brawl actually got a better deal on Sunday. This was the result of poor stream match management -- Brawl winners bracket matches were called way too quickly in relation to Brawl losers bracket matches. GIMR obviously preferred to stream Melee winners bracket instead of Brawl losers bracket, so he switched games. Then Brawl top 8 took forever and cost the viewers almost all of the mid-to-late Melee bracket. So Brawl got all of its winner bracket streamed plus top 8, while Melee only got its winner bracket streamed plus top 4 or so.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Disagreed, Brawl actually got a better deal on Sunday. This was the result of poor stream match management -- Brawl winners bracket matches were called way too quickly in relation to Brawl losers bracket matches. GIMR obviously preferred to stream Melee winners bracket instead of Brawl losers bracket, so he switched games. Then Brawl top 8 took forever and cost the viewers almost all of the mid-to-late Melee bracket. So Brawl got all of its winner bracket streamed plus top 8, while Melee only got its winner bracket streamed plus top 4 or so.
I'm sure I don't have the popular opinion, but while I'm glad Brawl got streamed as much as it did, I feel it didn't get as much air time in comparison to Melee and perhaps PM as it should have. I definitely agree with Jiggly, and looking at all the Melee matches it just looks like M2K or Hbox 3-0ing some random, meanwhile nobody bats an eyelash at the fact Brawl Apex 2014 champion Nario doesn't make it into top 3 or Zinoto almost 2-0ing M2K (thank god at least that was streamed), and god knows what other crazy close sets there were.

I just feel like in these situations Brawl gets chastised for being boring so only top 3 gets focused on, which in events like these are the least entertaining, while early bracket matches are way more intense, especially with how stacked this event was in particular.

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
It seems a bit ridiculous that barlw is almost unanimously more boring to its respective audience, yet people think it deserves an equal amount of stream time as the other Smash games. When your game pulls the least viewers total, has less viewership overlap than Melee and P:M, and has the least potential for future growth, what do you expect?

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
It seems a bit ridiculous that barlw is almost unanimously more boring to its respective audience, yet people think it deserves an equal amount of stream time as the other Smash games. When your game pulls the least viewers total, has less viewership overlap than Melee and P:M, and has the least potential for future growth, what do you expect?
Elitism at its finest.

I'm not saying give Brawl more stream time than Melee/PM since those are obviously the most popular right now, hell I'm not even saying give Brawl an equal on-the-dot amount of stream time as Melee/PM. I'm saying give it it's fair share, show some matches that we don't see very often where the winner could be either player. Because some people actually want to watch Brawl. I want to watch matches so I can study players and learn matchups, so I can see all the close sets between high-top level players. I felt there were one too many matches of Oats vs whoever else was in his pool, there were some other pools matches I'd have been interested in if I had been at home watching.

Like it or not, MLG is supporting Melee, PM, and Brawl universally, so trying to completely cut out Brawl from the Smash scene at this point is just ridiculous and flat out unprofessional.

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Elitism at its finest.

I'm not saying give Brawl more stream time than Melee/PM since those are obviously the most popular right now, hell I'm not even saying give Brawl an equal on-the-dot amount of stream time as Melee/PM. I'm saying give it it's fair share, show some matches that we don't see very often where the winner could be either player. Because some people actually want to watch Brawl. I want to watch matches so I can study players and learn matchups, so I can see all the close sets between high-top level players. I felt there were one too many matches of Oats vs whoever else was in his pool, there were some other pools matches I'd have been interested in if I had been at home watching.

Like it or not, MLG is supporting Melee, PM, and Brawl universally, so trying to completely cut out Brawl from the Smash scene at this point is just ridiculous and flat out unprofessional.
If you aren't saying barlw should get an equal amount of stream time, then we're in agreement. I have no problem with barlw being streamed if there are competitors competing and spectators spectating, but it should be scaled the same as any tournament stream. Apex had a ton of Smash streams compared to traditional fighters, and I don't think anyone can complain about that because there were so many more Smash players/spectators.

MLG actually isn't supporting P:M for obvious reasons, and it's pretty clear barlw was an afterthought. Evidence of this is laid out quite clearly in the first post:

Melee is not 100% confirmed YET
There still a few things to figure out, but SSBM will VERY likely be at MLG.

• SMASH 4
If Smash 4 is out before the event, we will highly consider running it alongside Melee.

• BRAWL MAY BE RAN ALONGSIDE MELEE
In the event that smash 4 is not out, we may run Brawl alongside Melee

• Project M is likely not an option.
As much as I love the game, I don't think Nintendo would be too excited about us running a mod of their game.

yoshq

Smash Master
I just don't understand the hate towards Brawl... it's like it's the same series why would you spend so much energy hating on one of the sequels because you don't like it.

Top Bottom