• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MK Matchup Discussion

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
you can smash DI jab really far, but if you read DI you can turn around or dash attack (or even nair)

sheik jab is really comparable to Ike. its range is amazing to. It out ranges her grab if I remember correctrly.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Eh Sheik won't be landing any ridiculous 30% combos off of jab cancels, but if the opponent is able to SDI as far as you say for jab, wouldn't that open up ftilt as a follow up option? I'm assuming SDI up, I doubt this would work against SDI away, but ftilt would land safer than if they didn't SDI because if they are in the air, they took away their fastest option, shield. It would also be cool if Sheik had jab cancel combos like Ike though... although I have no idea how to test that.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
It may not be Ike but I'd compare it more to Falco and give it a level of frustration that, if unknown to the opponent, can trap them for a few loops before you must do something else.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
falco
s doesn't combo into it's self. sheik doesn't at really low percents but at higher percents it is a true combo just like Ike.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
you can smash DI jab really far, but if you read DI you can turn around or dash attack (or even nair)

sheik jab is really comparable to Ike. its range is amazing to. It out ranges her grab if I remember correctrly.
her grab range is below par (not bad though), so I wouldn't be surprised.

It's like only a little longer than Lucario's.

but her jab is ****, I use that move a ton.
btw if you get the debug pause + frame advance code (or tell some of these Sheik Smash Researchers to test it/report it) then you could probably get info on how much advantage sheik jab1/2 have.

@ air release -> usmash comments: Isn't SV's platform too high to get usmash from? I know BF's allows you to tipper, but SV it seems like it would miss.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
btw if you get the debug pause + frame advance code (or tell some of these Sheik Smash Researchers to test it/report it) then you could probably get info on how much advantage sheik jab1/2 have.
Does anybody have what this man is talking about? I don't have a hacked wii, and I only do testing with my eye (M2K style XD) and educated guesses.... Did Trinstan_win use this to test ftilt frame advantage though? I thought there was a formula you could apply.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
If memory serves there was a web site that innocent roads made that gave you ftilt hit stun data a a given percent against a given character with given decay.

someone took Innocent Roads formula and used it to make a giant table and Tristan win organized that data.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
but since he didn't do jab, you would need to get those two codes.

Debug pause = when you press start, literally pauses every aspect of the game, when coupled with frame advance, allows you to move FRAME BY FRAME across an animation. This is how I/we tested advantage on block in Smash lab and for Lucario's moves (for my boards).

Oh yeah and you'll need unlimited customized button mapping, if you want to test throws iirc.

Can Saviorslegacy/Veril/rPSI/Sunrose/etc. smash researcher confirm for me/add details? (namesearch go!)

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Could you do that? Pleeeasssssseeeeeeeeeeee? How many e's will it take sir? I'm willing to type as many as I have to.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Just ask Kaylo, she's good with that stuff and she'll probably do it if u ask nicely lol.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Alright, so I have some MK GR update on what I posted in the Wario MU thread. So I posted that we may be able to GR MK and still hit him on the platform of BF and the 2nd transformation of Halberd. In hindsight, it was a bit of a foolish, vain guess, but I'm still hyped. Why? Because we still have a set up on MK on BF out of grab release using the platform. (Warning wall of text for one tech, although I do have my own analysis of the setups utility at the end as well, which makes it long)

So MK has enough time to shield, but he won't perfect shield if he puts his shield up ASAP (which is critical for this to work). In order to do this, GR and then DACUS asap, what makes this work is that since he doesn't get a perfect shield, he gets insane shield knockback, and I mean insane. Depending on where he lands on the platform from the GR, he will immediately fall off the platform and tumble onto ground level. This puts him into the jab lock animation, and you can immediately follow up with a turnaround needle to get him into another jab lock animation. Then since he is forced to auto stand... Guess what? You can do almost anything, including another grab>GR>u-smash, now that you can position your grab so no platforms get in the way. Walk>ftilt combo, charge a smash attack, etc you get the point.

Now there are a couple key issues about this setup. First off, it will probably only work once in a match as a gimmick as opponents will not expect it. Thankfully, the setup does not lose it's usefulness because in order for the opponent to properly escape, they need to tech on the ground. And Sheik is more than fast enough to cover all the options, although now there is more room for error since you need to predict. Also if the MK landed in the exact center or close to the center of the platform and got the shield knockback, he has enough time, i would guess, to spot dodge and stop his shield momentum.

Also I would speculate that MK has enough time to spot dodge the DACUS, although if you know he is conditioned to spot dodge then you have other options. And I don't know if Shuttle Loop will shut down this tech at all. I would guess that you hit MK within a 5 frame window of when he lands but I can't say for sure. IF SL shuts this down, then it's unfortunate but you have other options, too.
Lastly, if the MK's shield is low, it will auto shield poke them, and if the MK lands at the very edge of the platform, the second hit is guaranteed to hit.

In conclusion this is a trick that will work in tourney when the opponent doesn't know what to do or it has never happened to them before. Once they figure it out though, you still have options that can easily punish that the opponent is forced to do if they want to avoid the setup, and you can still punish them if they choose to take the hit and tech on the ground instead. Regardless, the first time you do this, you will most likely get a jab lock animation and get a lot of damage depending on whether you choose to GR again or ftilt lock. Save it for GF, if you get there ;)

Also the same setup works for PS1, and I haven't tested any other stages, yet. I think this also helps with neutral stages, because you should no longer shy away from BF, because you feel that platforms will shut down her grab release game. My stage priority list has changed to FD, BF, YI, SV and Lylat, now. I guess it all comes down to how comfortable you are with platforms.

Judo777

Smash Master
Alright, so I have some MK GR update on what I posted in the Wario MU thread. So I posted that we may be able to GR MK and still hit him on the platform of BF and the 2nd transformation of Halberd. In hindsight, it was a bit of a foolish, vain guess, but I'm still hyped. Why? Because we still have a set up on MK on BF out of grab release using the platform. (Warning wall of text for one tech, although I do have my own analysis of the setups utility at the end as well, which makes it long)

So MK has enough time to shield, but he won't perfect shield if he puts his shield up ASAP (which is critical for this to work). In order to do this, GR and then DACUS asap, what makes this work is that since he doesn't get a perfect shield, he gets insane shield knockback, and I mean insane. Depending on where he lands on the platform from the GR, he will immediately fall off the platform and tumble onto ground level. This puts him into the jab lock animation, and you can immediately follow up with a turnaround needle to get him into another jab lock animation. Then since he is forced to auto stand... Guess what? You can do almost anything, including another grab>GR>u-smash, now that you can position your grab so no platforms get in the way. Walk>ftilt combo, charge a smash attack, etc you get the point.

Now there are a couple key issues about this setup. First off, it will probably only work once in a match as a gimmick as opponents will not expect it. Thankfully, the setup does not lose it's usefulness because in order for the opponent to properly escape, they need to tech on the ground. And Sheik is more than fast enough to cover all the options, although now there is more room for error since you need to predict. Also if the MK landed in the exact center or close to the center of the platform and got the shield knockback, he has enough time, i would guess, to spot dodge and stop his shield momentum.

Also I would speculate that MK has enough time to spot dodge the DACUS, although if you know he is conditioned to spot dodge then you have other options. And I don't know if Shuttle Loop will shut down this tech at all. I would guess that you hit MK within a 5 frame window of when he lands but I can't say for sure. IF SL shuts this down, then it's unfortunate but you have other options, too.
Lastly, if the MK's shield is low, it will auto shield poke them, and if the MK lands at the very edge of the platform, the second hit is guaranteed to hit.

In conclusion this is a trick that will work in tourney when the opponent doesn't know what to do or it has never happened to them before. Once they figure it out though, you still have options that can easily punish that the opponent is forced to do if they want to avoid the setup, and you can still punish them if they choose to take the hit and tech on the ground instead. Regardless, the first time you do this, you will most likely get a jab lock animation and get a lot of damage depending on whether you choose to GR again or ftilt lock. Save it for GF, if you get there ;)

Also the same setup works for PS1, and I haven't tested any other stages, yet. I think this also helps with neutral stages, because you should no longer shy away from BF, because you feel that platforms will shut down her grab release game. My stage priority list has changed to FD, BF, YI, SV and Lylat, now. I guess it all comes down to how comfortable you are with platforms.
Nice find man its a great trick that i guarantee will work at least once sometime which sheik thrives on one time tricks.

However just for thorough input. Not only can MK tech the floor after hitting the ground but i have had MK's use another option out of the fall animation, tho i dont remember what it is. Its either an airdodge or an aerial or something but i know that MK isn't always forced to tech in that situation.

Also on why is it that if MK shields asap he wont get a perfect shield? Cause i get PSed all the time from people just holding the shield button in that situation and the only possibility is that im slow but i would think that would only help? calrify? or are my examples just me getting unlucky or something cause i do get PSed all the time for trying when they land on a plat.

Still a great find tho.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Yeah it's true that MK can do something during midair. Actually I don't know the specific mechanics of shield knockback which causes you to fall off the edge. Technically, you can recover before you hit the ground, but I still see way too many people in higher levels of play hit the ground missing the tech after they shield and get pushed off a BF platform. *Shrug* I speculate its awkward timing that screws people up, but... hell if that's what it is, I'll take it. This really is a small time trick though, but it will get you that huge momentum boost in a big game if the other person does not know about it.

Really? I mean the only way that you would get perfect shield is if you somehow were able to do DACUS faster than me or if the opposing person wasn't actually holding onto shield at the soonest possible moment... I mean I know that I was, so I guess the only possibility is that you are doing it faster than me. But you may want to test that again, because I am pretty sure that I was doing it as fast I could. Also if you are able to get it faster... maybe we could land a DACUS? I mean I know that I was pressing shield at the soonest possible moment, because I was holding the shield button with my feet (lol) while I did DACUS normally with my free hands XD. I also did multiple trials, so you should test it again just to be sure I didn't screw up on the DACUS timing.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
but since he didn't do jab, you would need to get those two codes.

Debug pause = when you press start, literally pauses every aspect of the game, when coupled with frame advance, allows you to move FRAME BY FRAME across an animation. This is how I/we tested advantage on block in Smash lab and for Lucario's moves (for my boards).

Oh yeah and you'll need unlimited customized button mapping, if you want to test throws iirc.

Can Saviorslegacy/Veril/rPSI/Sunrose/etc. smash researcher confirm for me/add details? (namesearch go!)
Someone ask for me?

Debug pause was based off of melee's debug mode where you could go into the dev mode and press start to freeze the game and step through 1 frame at a time. So one of the SSBB hackers wanted to create something very similar and created a code to work through the Ocarina hacks (which are loaded through geckoOS). However, due to a bug in the shared mapping of grab and frame advance (which are both on Z) you will grab every time you try to frame advance. This is because grab has the most input priority. To combat this, we use an unlimited control mapping code to allow us to map taunt to the Z button (which has the least input priority).
If you want to learn more about this, post in the Smash Workshop asking for the codes or general questions about getting it to work, using it, etc.

Judo777

Smash Master
Yeah it's true that MK can do something during midair. Actually I don't know the specific mechanics of shield knockback which causes you to fall off the edge. Technically, you can recover before you hit the ground, but I still see way too many people in higher levels of play hit the ground missing the tech after they shield and get pushed off a BF platform. *Shrug* I speculate its awkward timing that screws people up, but... hell if that's what it is, I'll take it. This really is a small time trick though, but it will get you that huge momentum boost in a big game if the other person does not know about it.

Really? I mean the only way that you would get perfect shield is if you somehow were able to do DACUS faster than me or if the opposing person wasn't actually holding onto shield at the soonest possible moment... I mean I know that I was, so I guess the only possibility is that you are doing it faster than me. But you may want to test that again, because I am pretty sure that I was doing it as fast I could. Also if you are able to get it faster... maybe we could land a DACUS? I mean I know that I was pressing shield at the soonest possible moment, because I was holding the shield button with my feet (lol) while I did DACUS normally with my free hands XD. I also did multiple trials, so you should test it again just to be sure I didn't screw up on the DACUS timing.
I mean idk if i was or not. I just remember that i get PSed alot because i would instinctively try to punish them if i got the effect ur referring to where they slide off. And it never works i mean they might not be holding shield but I can't imagine someone not shielding immediately cause there is no way they know about the trick ur talking about lol. Most people are just afraid of us trying so i would think they would just hold it down but i could be wrong.

tl:dr we need to test more. lol

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
her grab range is below par (not bad though), so I wouldn't be surprised.

It's like only a little longer than Lucario's.

@ air release -> usmash comments: Isn't SV's platform too high to get usmash from? I know BF's allows you to tipper, but SV it seems like it would miss.
*has already done this*
And I'm pretty sure tristan win has data on it too. Probably more thorough then what I did.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Post it please? It would nice to know at what %'s we can start comboing our jab cancels.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I'm not even sure if I understand what I wrote before. lol But this is what I got:

on Snake:
+4 (advantages I assume) @ 0 (I'm guessing percent)
+5 @ 30
+7 @ 60
+9 @ 90
+10 @ 120

on MK
+1 @ 0
+3 @ 30
+4 @ 60
+7 @ 90
+9 @ 120

This is all assuming jab is fresh and it never is lol. The advantage on mk is pretty disappointing, he can probably nair out before you do anything most of the time if he has good reaction time.

If you want most specific and detailed data, I'd ask Tristan as I'm like 80 percent sure that he has some data on jab as well. I also don't have my wii with me so I can't do any further testing.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Wow this is some good stuff though, Sheik's jab is too good. Wait which jab advantage is this for? I am going to assume jab2 because that has more hitstun but regardless good stuff. And does Tristan even visit SWF anymore? Regardless I'll ask him to post data if he has any.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Alright, thanks for the clarification. I got into contact with Tristan, he did have the data but he has since lost it. He said, he stopped testing after he realized what type of effect DI had on the jabs, but even then I'm going to ask him for his testing method and see what I can find. Btw Rathy, how did you test frame advantage?

Top Bottom