• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MK close to banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.MetaKnight

Smash Rookie
i just found out about ssbb tiers and now my fav character when i first got the game is getting banned. Lol wat a b****

M15t3R E

Smash Master
=[

i just found out about ssbb tiers and now my fav character when i first got the game is getting banned. Lol wat a b****
Didja just get the game? :confused:

We are at least a few months into the discussion of "should Meta Knight be banned" by now. It's just that this month such talk has become more and more mainstream.
I don't know if I can empathize, as I do not main MK. But anyone can understand how scary it must be to a MK main. You think you're bad-off? What about the avid tourney-goers who rely on MK to place well? How must they feel? :dizzy:

But keep your chin up. The ban might or might not happen. Maybe it will happen in some states and not in others. In some states, MK is not winning all the tourneys worth mentioning. Your favorite character has a high chance of survival there.

Main MK. I will not stop you and I advise you to never let another do so. Honestly though, I would recommend you learning another character as a viable secondary to shut up the negative commentators.

Don't fret too much over the ban just yet. As the talks escalate action may be taken accordingly at big tourneys, but don't count on it for some time. And you will always be able to use MK online. That is a guarantee from me to you. ............

Just don't spam that **** 'nado!!!!!!

M15t3R E

Smash Master
=p

Well, look at the matchups with every character.
Amazing range, overwhelming speed, unmatched priority, superb ground game, unbeatable aerial game, awesome at approaching, deadly in punishing, desirable KO potential, excellent gimping potential, versatile recovery, etc.

****. The developers f'd up. He's more broken than Chuck Norris.
(No wait, I take that back!...)

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Amazing range, overwhelming speed, unmatched priority, superb ground game, unbeatable aerial game, awesome at approaching, deadly in punishing, desirable KO potential, excellent gimping potential, versatile recovery, etc.

****. The developers f'd up. He's more broken than Chuck Norris.
(No wait, I take that back!...)
Wow...when you see it all in a list liike that it really shows you just how broken Metaknight is...

D***....o_o

neon..?

Smash Journeyman
lol i don't want mk to get banned though because it's to early but i hate mk.

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
Well, I picked MK from day one because I loved the character's persona and all that jazz, but it's not changing the fact that he's megabroken in Brawl. The pro-banning side has a very strong argument at the moment, but we are still early in Brawl's development, and counters could be found...but, the situation is looking pretty grim for MK right now, so I guess all that I can say is that our favorite character getting banned is just life lol...I don't know what will happen, but I could see either side winning the heated debate. I'm picking up a few characters in case he does get banned, though, and you should do the same. I'm really working on my Lucario as a replacement main because he's awesome =p.

Anyways, I know that ChromePirate is going to post some more of his non-constructive bashing in this thread at some point in time... >.> I don't mind supporting of the pro-ban side, Chrome, but make it a constructive post and not just a flaming post...

M@v

Subarashii!
I second MK, but unless we find some people who actually can face him consisitently, he is going to have to go.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
I swear to god, if topics like this weren't post count goldmines they would be more annoying than a Lucas n00b.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
There's nothing wrong with Lucas. There's everything wrong with BAD Lucas players.

"PK fire! PK fire! PK fire! PK fire! PK THUNDER!!!! PK fire! PK fire!"

It's not hard to beat, but his incessant screams haunt my nightmares.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
there's Nothing Wrong With Lucas. There's Everything Wrong With Bad Lucas Players.

"pk Fire! Pk Fire! Pk Fire! Pk Fire! Pk Thunder!!!! Pk Fire! Pk Fire!"

It's Not Hard To Beat, But His Incessant Screams Haunt My Nightmares.
Pk Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze
I find noob lucas players spam usmash too.

J-Dubb

Smash Rookie
I agree about the Lucas noobs.
With the exception of upsmash and side b, they spam a lot of PK Freeze too, since it's a hard hit.
PK Freeze also sucks so that justs add to there Noobines

On Topic: Meta Knight should not be banned this is so similar to Marth and Sheik in melee people couldn't beat them when Melee came out but eventually they found some weekness against then. I'm cofident some sort of weakness with come out against MK (he will still be dominant on tiers still however).

If MK dose get banned i'll be ashamed of smash players are give up compeditive smash gaming.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
On Topic: Meta Knight should not be banned this is so similar to Marth and Sheik in melee people couldn't beat them when Melee came out but eventually they found some weekness against then. I'm cofident some sort of weakness with come out against MK (he will still be dominant on tiers still however).

If MK dose get banned i'll be ashamed of smash players are give up compeditive smash gaming.
Saying Marth and Sheik couldn't be beat is a bad generalization (and who said MK can't be beat? It's just a b**** to do.) From my viewpoint, melee depended a lot less on inherent character traits and more on tech skill, reading, mindgames, and overall even the lower teirs played at their best were great contenders against the best. In brawl, it is like that to a certain degree, but to a lesser extent. MK is just inherently ...godly... lol.

Also, in my humble opinion, melee had a much better competitive scene. You'd see incredible feats pulled off by professional lower teir players against strong higher teir players. It's far less likely in brawl for that to happen. (Though still possible).

Sunstar

Smash Apprentice
I think for a banning it is really to early.

Brawl is not explored enough to ban MK now...

he seems to be the strongest character in brawl on the first sight... akuma seems to be the best character in street fighter alpha 2 on the first sight... but later he just was mid-tier... maybe MK has the same fate... but i don't really think so...

before banning MK, i like the handycap-way to handle him... maybe MK just should get a handycap first...
this would have consequenses on competetive play, because MK would be a lighter character with a handycap, so chaingrabs and combos against him must be invented new... or at least be changed a bit...

difficult, difficult... but i think a ban is just not fair for the MK fans, who play him, because he is cool and not because he is strong and fast (like me ;) )

homicidalrapist

Smash Apprentice
This whole debate wasn't just based off of MK's brokenness, it's also the over-centralization he's causing in tournaments. In melee, it wasn't just Foxes and Falcos, they had some legit counters and the fact that they can be up throw chained and gimped easily. MK has a way to get out of everything in this game except Yoshi's Grab release chain, but he can pretty much out space the grab anyway.

It's getting to the point where people will pick up MK just to place higher even tho they don't like using them.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
i'll admit the one thing I hate about MK is his dsmash's range and priority. His tornado doesn't do much damage, and ZSS can stop it in a multitude of ways (like hr grab, for example... Not my fave way tho), so I personally couldn't care less about his banning, if he DOES get banned... It just means my ZSS will have a higher chance of scoring top 5 in tourneys.

Meta isn,t broken in my eyes, even though I enjoy saying it from time to time. Most of his mains are below the level of Amateur gamer, and the rest that main him and KNOW his strengths are the ones winning the tourneys... Which, curiously, isn't as many people as you think.

If you want to avoid losing because an MK kept spamming tornado or dsmash, I suggest either: learn how to use him and learn his strengths and weaknesses so you can exploit his weaknesses, or become friends with MK mains so you can train against other people besides lv9 CPUs.

... And like I said: whether he I banned or not, I show no emotion. Mains are learning other characters besides just MK, so I see that as a cause for celebration: a change is approaching!

Andurian

Smash Cadet
As I non-MetaKnight player, I have to say that banning Metaknight is a bad idea. He is simply a really fast and good character. When I fight MetaKnight players, I don't always win (I use Lucario). I also don't always lose. I win more than I lose though. There are ways around his skills. I can knock him out of the tornado and have the advantage of range.

The only character I have a problem with that I feel should be banned is Dedede. The Chain Grab and the waddle dees are ridiculous. I was at a tourney Dedede was winning because he was chain grabbing at close range and then keeping his Waddles out to take ranged hits so you had to run into melee... also, Marth's Delphin Slash couldn't stop the Chain Grab (Dedede can grab the Slash, through a sword).

My point of view... if MetaKnight gets banned... ban Dedede since Dedede is infinitely cheaper.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
As I non-MetaKnight player, I have to say that banning Metaknight is a bad idea. He is simply a really fast and good character. When I fight MetaKnight players, I don't always win (I use Lucario). I also don't always lose. I win more than I lose though. There are ways around his skills. I can knock him out of the tornado and have the advantage of range.

The only character I have a problem with that I feel should be banned is Dedede. The Chain Grab and the waddle dees are ridiculous. I was at a tourney Dedede was winning because he was chain grabbing at close range and then keeping his Waddles out to take ranged hits so you had to run into melee... also, Marth's Delphin Slash couldn't stop the Chain Grab (Dedede can grab the Slash, through a sword).

My point of view... if MetaKnight gets banned... ban Dedede since Dedede is infinitely cheaper.
Hi, and welcome to Smashboards! Just so you know, D^3 isn't the only character with a CG, so your argument doesn't make sense.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Yeah whats the deal with all of the new people?
Also pertaining to the argument at hand, I'm neutral on Meta ban.
If he gets banned, oh well, it happens, more chance for other char's to win tournies.
If he doesn't, oh well, it happens.
I also agree with Deoxys.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Welcome to smashboards, where people refuse to read the entire post, where new people pop up out of nowhere, and where people want to ban characters because they don't know how to counter them. YAY!

Andurian

Smash Cadet
Deoxys, that is true. I am learning other characters as well and they can chain grab. Lucario himself has a chain grab of sorts. But can those characters Chain Grab up to ridiculous damages? Falco seems to stop being able to do it easily (can be done if the opponent is kinda of a newb) up to around 40% or so. Lucario's is the same way. It stops at one point. D3's does not stop at low damages, it just keeps going. Also, grabbing through a sword is ridiculous (and kinda funny actually... hands are better than a sword :p). Also, I do know there are character's that can't be chain grabbed for whatever reason (by Dedede at least).

My point is, if Meta Knight is to be banned, than why not Dedede? Or rather why aren't people complaining about Dedede when MetaKnight isn't really that bad? I am not saying Dedede is amazing or anything, or that he is unstoppable. I am simply saying Banning MetaKnight is a bad idea if there are things that are just as cheap or cheaper out there.

Earlier is was said that he has Superb Air Game (or unbeatable...) amazing range, and what not. That information isn't even accurate. His air game is beatable (seem Marsh's sword hit through it, my own down air as Lucario is efficient in the air game and other attacks). Lucario's range also gets futher than Meta's. I also noticed he has a harder time going straight up (Side B needs to go forward and Up B has a limit). As for speed, I sometimes have seen ROBs down smash beat MetaKnights down smash. So... Meta Knight isn't rigged. He is a great character though.

Something I neglected to say ^^. I find Dedede's chain grab the easiest to pull off. That being said, I don't believe either character should be banned. Both are beatable.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
People want to ban MK because they think he has no matchups that are worse than even for him. IMO, Yoshi is 55/45 in Yoshi's favor (which should be enough to prevent banning, see Sheik in Melee), Snake is 50/50, and Olimar is 50/50. Too bad not everyone agrees on this.

tarman727

Smash Apprentice
Uhh no. Snake is more at 65/35, Yoshi is a horrible character, and, Olimar is 45/55.

Andurian

Smash Cadet
I am curious as to what the percentages for Lucario against MetaKnight? I usually win but that may simply be my style of play (I've heard I play Lucario much to defensively...)

Does anyone know what the numbers are for Lucario vs Metaknight?

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
there idiots.

Olimar 50/50(If Olimar is good and spaces Meta cant apporach) But if no Meta ***** them,
Snake 55/45 in Metas Favor. Meta ***** off stage but Snake is better on stage.
Bowser 60/40 Metas Favor(If bowser is good enough he can Grab Release/ Chaingrab meta. Bowser beats meta on FD)

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Uhh no. Snake is more at 65/35, Yoshi is a horrible character, and, Olimar is 45/55.
I can't tell if you think Snake has a 65/35 advantage or disadvantage against MK. If you think Snake has a 65/35 favor against MK, you must have really good weed or something... Also, just because Yoshi is low tier doesn't mean he's horrible, and even if he were, he could still be 55/45 against MK simply due to the way Yoshi's style counters MK's.

I am curious as to what the percentages for Lucario against MetaKnight? I usually win but that may simply be my style of play (I've heard I play Lucario much to defensively...)

Does anyone know what the numbers are for Lucario vs Metaknight?
Last I heard, M2K says it's 50/50, but I'd say at least 60/40 in favor of MK. Like many characters, Lucario doesn't gain as much as MK does from counterpicking.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Meh, it kinda sucks. Luckily for me I also main Wolf and Fox. I'm not an exclusive MK main, so I'll have something to fall back on. Others may not be as lucky...

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
I also main Kirby, its a somewhat similar playstyle... not really... but yeah.

Still, an MK ban is not good, or fun, or worth it, or even feasible at this point in time. Shouldn't even be considered yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom