• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
But those are custom moves that can be replaced by other custom moves. Forward tilt is an A-move that can't be removed. I would like to see it made into like a sweep/swing with the staff instead of a twirl.

Last edited:

Lvl99Gamer

Smash Cadet
But those are custom moves that can be replaced by other custom moves. Forward tilt is an A-move that can't be removed. I would like to see it made into like a sweep/swing with the staff instead of a twirl.
There's nothing wrong with the twirl itself, It could be a fine move as it is if only they fixed the atrocious frames (that's right, bold, italic AND underlined) on it. With the current frames and hitbox in it it would be more competitive to just switch the entire attack with a taunt.

That being said, it's far from the only thing holding Palutena back though.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I've always wished that f-air could have the same duration or even longer, but have it work so that palutena is free to act / do whatever she wants while just leaving the staff spinning there as a remote hitbox. That's probably more suited as a special move than tilt, though...

TheRealPalutena

Smash Cadet
Its been real guys........But from what I've seen I think I'm going to be pretty committed to Bayo...at least for a long time or this patch(?) does something completely amazing to Palutena.

I'll keep playing her here and there but i've been recently taking the game a lil bit more seriously now than before and I just don't see the future in Palu right now :(

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Marth got a couple of noticeable percent buffs, so anything's possible.

I think I'm gonna end up quadra-maining Palu, Rosalina, Mayonetta, and Cory

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Palutena will forever be my main, no doubt about it. I picked her up because she was fun to play.

Currently I'm looking at Rosalina for a secondary because, again, she looks like a fun character to play, especially with what you can do with Luma.

I won't let opinionated tier-lists (despite being 'correct' in a sense) boss what characters I want to play.

Palutena forever my #1, despite what happens after the patch.

4chanJoe

Smash Cadet
NNID
4chinJoe
Honestly, I can't help but feel conflicted.

On one hand, Bayonetta just looks so enticing but I know playing her means full time commitment. A lot of my friends have told me that she's probably going to have a major catch to her combo gimmick, one even joked that they were gonna make her lighter than Mewtwo. But even if she has her downsides, the fact of the matter is I know I'd probably have an easier time with playing Bayo over Palutena, unless either she gets one ridiculous buff or my region lets the chains off her customs.

But on the other hand, I know Palutena best. When I picked up the game last year, I wanted to main her because I thought she was the most interesting character I've ever seen in a smash game. I literally learned the game off of her. The only other character I know how to play to a marginal degree of competence is Falcon but most of that is stuff that just carries over from my very brief time playing 64 and Melee. I've gone from not knowing the game at all to being one of the best Smash 4 player in general at a large university filled with tons of really talented players. And I did it entirely using Palutena. No secondaries.

Now I'm fully aware that makes me the big fish of a rather small pond, but I'm still proud of it. So much so that I honestly don't think I can drop Palutena even if I tried. I could go with another character if I really wanted, but in the end I feel like I'd just end up returning to what I truly know because it's what I know best. And I'm always happy to do so despite what people say about viability and competitive potential.

The winner isn't the one with the best character, it's the player that refuses to lose.

Last edited:

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
There's nothing wrong with trying out new characters, but I have the most fun with Palutena and Peach and so I play them. If Bayo and Corrin are fun I may secondary or co-main them, but we'll find out latter today. I have gotten so used to Palutena it would be hard to completely drop the character so I'm not gonna do that.

I went to a local the other day and everyone was really surprised to fight a good Palutena, and it felt really nice to hear how surprised people were. I want to win even more with this character after hearing that.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I just want to let you guys know, Palutena isn't bottom tier, despite what the official tier list says. I know I may not be representing the goddess anymore, but there are other players who have the results to prove otherwise. Anyways, just thought I'd share my thoughts with you guys.

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
We know she's not bottom tier; we play the character. I will probably never trust a tier list outside of the top 5-10 (if that) with no specified order for a game with 58 characters. There's just too much variability and the fact that certain characters beat other others and loose to others. I hope once the meta develops more we'll do the MU chart again, because I think that's a more effective way to show characters than a standard tier list. MU spreads play a role in tier list, but, for me personally, I think Peach beats Sheik and Sheik is still number 1 in the game. A tier list just doesn't show things like that.

One day people will stop sleeping on these characters and they'll get a better representation. We're so focused on winning in the Americas we have few character loyalist who try to push their characters to the max and it's all Sheik now. Nothing wrong with wanting to win, but it's not the same winning with a different character than the one I wanted to win with.

One day the devs will notice us and grace us with some buffs.

Last edited:

Lvl99Gamer

Smash Cadet
We know she's not bottom tier; we play the character. I will probably never trust a tier list outside of the top 5-10 (if that) with no specified order for a game with 58 characters. There's just too much variability and the fact that certain characters beat other others and loose to others. I hope once the meta develops more we'll do the MU chart again, because I think that's a more effective way to show characters than a standard tier list. MU spreads play a role in tier list, but, for me personally, I think Peach beats Sheik and Sheik is still number 1 in the game. A tier list just doesn't show things like that.

One day people will stop sleeping on these characters and they'll get a better representation. We're so focused on winning in the Americas we have few character loyalist who try to push their characters to the max and it's all Sheik now. Nothing wrong with wanting to win, but it's not the same winning with a different character than the one I wanted to win with.

One day the devs will notice us and grace us with some buffs.

Damn straight son. I got lucky that Luigi is a good character in this game but my heart goes out to all people whose characters are currently neglected by the dev team.
Never stop fighting.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
After playing Bayonetta and Corrin a lot (mostly Corrin), My Opinion is that Corrin feels closer to Palutena's playstyle than Bayonetta. I think I originally assumed that Bayonetta would basically be "Palutena, but faster" because of the obvious smash attack similarities, but Corrin has more of that bait/punish and spacing game that Palutena does. Palutena feels much faster than Corrin though, so I often need to switch back to rejuvenate myself

C3CC

Smash Lord
If you guys feel like reliving old times, visit page 111 of this thread to see everyone's reactions to Palutena being revealed for Smash :D Good times!

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Any of you have good videos of Palutena players with an offensive playstyle? I'm trying to improve my advantage game, but I need some references to go to.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I got 2 questions

1. Do you think that Palutena could have been better implemented
2. Would you replace Palutena with a Call of duty Solider

Of course i wouldn't
would you

Rran

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I think Palutena is a fantastically implemented character... if you factor in customs. I know the tourney scene is pretty down on their permittance, but there seems to be a clear delineation regarding the intent of certain characters (i.e. Palutena and the Mii Fighters) and custom moves--the fact that these characters' custom moves are available from the get-go could be an indication that the aforementioned fighters' movesets were meant to be toyed around with by the player and thus an inherent trait of these characters (e.g. Miis are intended to be a design by the player, so having multiple options for attacks seems like a likely extention of their character; likewise, in KI: Uprising you are given a plethora of powers to customize your offense, and this attribute would then appear to be represented in Palutena).
The problem, however (at least for me, anyway), is the lack of these custom movesets in random online battles--this unavailability creates a disparity within the characters, and we are simply left questioning what is the true intentions for these fighters regarding custom movesets.

As for the second question, hell ****ing no.

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
Question. Does anyone here try to use Dair and also try to master the timing of it offstage? Or have some people 100% given up using it at all? I've seen it being looked down upon (and I know why), but I've also seen it being put to work also.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I have 95% given up on dair except on characters with big hurtboxes and vulnerable recoveries (DK), or if I'm behind hard and need a hail mary.

Going for the long shot is great and all when it works, but when it doesn't I have to kick myself because there are much easier things I could have done to get damage or sometimes even gimp.

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
I for one love dair. The hit box goes through the stage and can spike people if they are close enough to the stage when they do their up b or jump into it.

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
To wpwood and Mysterious Silver, do you both have any plays online? I remember you, Silver, posted a twitch video like some months ago I think. I don't remember how it was though. Any recent plays would be cool. Overtime I've been getting familiar with both of your views on Palutena and just want to get an idea of how you both play.

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
My weekly doesn't record matches, so I don't have any matches online. I could bring my setup and save the replays of me and put them on youtube though.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
To wpwood and Mysterious Silver, do you both have any plays online? I remember you, Silver, posted a twitch video like some months ago I think. I don't remember how it was though. Any recent plays would be cool. Overtime I've been getting familiar with both of your views on Palutena and just want to get an idea of how you both play.
I don't have anything recent; I took a break from Smash for about two months and just recently got back in picking up Bayonetta. I'm not totally done with Palu, I don't think, but right now I need all the EXP I can get with the new character so I don't see any new Palu recordings in the near future. The most recent one recorded is probably the crew battle I posted from Inauguration but it seems like that was taken down.

So I guess I have nothing, lol.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Man, I try dabbling in Mario, Bayonetta, and even Mii Brawler. But I just keep coming back. Good Palutena play is just too satisfying..

Anyway, I have a large tourney coming up this weekend. I'm going to ensure I place well and have some vids up for y'all. :)

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
*crickets

This place is really dead. Not even just the Palutena boards just smashboards in general.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I'm always here, but there's nothing really anything to talk about unless it's matchup knowledge
Hey... here's a good topic

Palutena beats Mario, Luigi, DK, Villager, and ROB of the high tier/upper mid tier characters.

Last edited:

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
That's true (why she isn't higher on the tier list idk) the Mario match up is more even if anything, Luigi and Villager get walled by side B, ROB and DK are combo food and get abused by AR, 50/50 with all top tiers bar Cloud, Sheik?, Pikachu, and Diddy). Fox and Falcon are difficult for me because on stage they dominant but at the same time they're easy combo food and get gimped super hard by nair

Last edited:

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
*crickets

This place is really dead. Not even just the Palutena boards just smashboards in general.
Maybe if you came here more it wouldn't be so dead. Sucks that some of the more active people usually don't know what they're talking about (not in here).

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
Maybe if you came here more it wouldn't be so dead. Sucks that some of the more active people usually don't know what they're talking about (not in here).
Once again, I'm always here (TT^TT ) but I prefer not talking to myself in a public chat

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Hey... here's a good topic

Palutena beats Mario, Luigi, DK, Villager, and ROB of the high tier/upper mid tier characters.
What's that? Did I hear someone being optimistic about Palu?

I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED

I don't see how she can possibly even go even with Mario or DK. Both have much better kill options, better damage output, and better CQC. DK has a hard time landing against us, I'll admit, but that goes for almost everyone vs. DK.

Dunno enough about ROB, and post-patch Luigi is kind of an enigma to me, though we can keep him out well enough.

Villager might actually be in her favor, because he's forced to play a whole different game and use that horrible run speed of his, but not very much because she loses hard up close and there's not a lot we can do from a distance except stop him from doing stuff. A perfectly played Palu/Villager match will go to time.

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
Something tells me Palutena is going to be 1.1.6's Mewtwo. I can totally see a shower of buffs coming her way.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Something tells me Palutena is going to be 1.1.6's Mewtwo. I can totally see a shower of buffs coming her way.
Eh... maybe buffing her undertuned moves but it's rather unlikely she'll get the Mewtwo treatment, particularly since she's a character built around customs, compared to one who has none.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Here's an interesting thought.

Palutena > Bayonetta in a match up.

Alright, alright I know what your thinking. "kmpyj, in what world do you live in where Smash 4's arguably worst character in the game can beat arguably the best character in the game?" On paper, yes I would say that's a ridiculous assumption, but let me explain.

People would agree Bayonetta is a very, very offensive character, and Palutena is a very defensive character. And that's just it. Because Pally is a defensive character, that works out in her favor. It is typically, and arguably recommended to fight Bayonetta defensively, as trying to rush her down could be very dangerous. One wrong misread could lead to three of the followings; either Bayo catches you in witch time, she performs a damaging combo on you, or catches you in a death combo.

In order to have a higher chance at beating Bayonetta, a player has to carefully read his opponent's moves, and time his attacks accordingly. Palutena is all about making good reads. So this is something that should come natural to a seasoned Pally player.

Bayonetta players like to use side b (more so in the air). Palutena has shield frames on her Bair and Dash attack. Bayonetta players like to use witch time. Palutena is a Defensive/Grappler character. Bayonetta can zone players out with her standard b. Palutena has a reflector. You see where I'm going with this?

Now I'm not saying it's the perfect match up, nor am I saying Palutena is a better character overall. This is just something I noticed while playing matches against her. I struggled with Mario (my main) but did great with Pally.

People say Bayo is toxic, that's why we have Pally to Purify.

Just something to think about. I'd like to here your guys's thoughts. Do you agree? Or do you disagree?

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Here's an interesting thought.

Palutena > Bayonetta in a match up.

Alright, alright I know what your thinking. "kmpyj, in what world do you live in where Smash 4's arguably worst character in the game can beat arguably the best character in the game?" On paper, yes I would say that's a ridiculous assumption, but let me explain.

People would agree Bayonetta is a very, very offensive character, and Palutena is a very defensive character. And that's just it. Because Pally is a defensive character, that works out in her favor. It is typically, and arguably recommended to fight Bayonetta defensively, as trying to rush her down could be very dangerous. One wrong misread could lead to three of the followings; either Bayo catches you in witch time, she performs a damaging combo on you, or catches you in a death combo.

In order to have a higher chance at beating Bayonetta, a player has to carefully read his opponent's moves, and time his attacks accordingly. Palutena is all about making good reads. So this is something that should come natural to a seasoned Pally player.

Bayonetta players like to use side b (more so in the air). Palutena has shield frames on her Bair and Dash attack. Bayonetta players like to use witch time. Palutena is a Defensive/Grappler character. Bayonetta can zone players out with her standard b. Palutena has a reflector. You see where I'm going with this?

Now I'm not saying it's the perfect match up, nor am I saying Palutena is a better character overall. This is just something I noticed while playing matches against her. I struggled with Mario (my main) but did great with Pally.

People say Bayo is toxic, that's why we have Pally to Purify.

Just something to think about. I'd like to here your guys's thoughts. Do you agree? Or do you disagree?
I've said this from the beginning! I always switch to Palu if someone is using Bayonetta; Palu's grab game is good.

Top Bottom