• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
To me, when it comes down to Palutena's custom moves, I honestly prefer 3/4 of her default moves over her other custom options. The only default move I would give up if I could is counter for lightweight.

Sometimes, I do feel as though most, not all, but most Palutena players rely WAY too much on her customs, as if they can't seem to win without them. But I can't speak for the community as a whole. They have their taste, and I have mine.

Basically, what I'm saying is, I love custom moves.......but I also hate them. Love them in the sense of different play styles, game changing attributes, etc. Hate them for how people view them as this "must use".

Also, what's all this fuss about with Jump Glide? Did I miss something? I mean I know there is some great tech behind the move, heck, I even made a video on it, but what is with the sudden switch from Warp to Jump Glide? (Not directing this at anyone, just speaking in general). I know Jump Glide is great and all, but for me, nothing compares to the satisfaction of......

Last edited:

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
I don't really see jump glide as being too much better I kind of go between rocket jump and warp, the first for damage the second for straight up recovery distance. Jump glide never appealed to me much, you can't dair from it for any sick meteor smashes, unlike Rocket jump which exists only to be used as a meteor smash and not a recovery.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
To me, when it comes down to Palutena's custom moves, I honestly prefer 3/4 of her default moves over her other custom options. The only default move I would give up if I could is counter for lightweight.

Sometimes, I do feel as though most, not all, but most Palutena players rely WAY too much on her customs, as if they can't seem to win without them. But I can't speak for the community as a whole. They have their taste, and I have mine.

Basically, what I'm saying is, I love custom moves.......but I also hate them. Love them in the sense of different play styles, game changing attributes, etc. Hate them for how people view them as this "must use".

Also, what's all this fuss about with Jump Glide? Did I miss something? I mean I know there is some great tech behind the move, heck, I even made a video on it, but what is with the sudden switch from Warp to Jump Glide? (Not directing this at anyone, just speaking in general). I know Jump Glide is great and all, but for me, nothing compares to the satisfaction of......

Thankfully, I'm one of the few that actually respect her defaults. It's just hard to make use of em sometimes, and I just have different uncommon sets in case it comes to having customs. Alas, we'll see what happens to them when they have to use default Pally. I can live with and without Pally customs is the "long-story-short" version of my view.

I need remind myself to do another one of those pretty Warp Cancel spike things, which is hard since many ppl know how I play.

What we need are Pally ditto vids all around featuring different Pally players, see their styles, with and without customs, see what we can learn from them. With the new Replay Sender, perhaps it'll finally be possible for me to be in action... with some wins for a change... if I can find some who can record...

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I don't really see jump glide as being too much better I kind of go between rocket jump and warp, the first for damage the second for straight up recovery distance. Jump glide never appealed to me much, you can't dair from it for any sick meteor smashes, unlike Rocket jump which exists only to be used as a meteor smash and not a recovery.
Actually, you can perform down air from it. You have to perform it like you would with a tilt. Just lightly push down. But overall, I get what your saying.

Thankfully, I'm one of the few that actually respect her defaults. It's just hard to make use of em sometimes, and I just have different uncommon sets in case it comes to having customs. Alas, we'll see what happens to them when they have to use default Pally. I can live with and without Pally customs is the "long-story-short" version of my view.

I need remind myself to do another one of those pretty Warp Cancel spike things, which is hard since many ppl know how I play.

What we need are Pally ditto vids all around featuring different Pally players, see their styles, with and without customs, see what we can learn from them. With the new Replay Sender, perhaps it'll finally be possible for me to be in action... with some wins for a change... if I can find some who can record...
I would be game for some matches today actually. Though right now, I'm in school on lunch, and with the drive home, I probably won't be online until 3:30 to 4:00-ish PM EST.

As for recording equipment, your in luck. Unlike the 3DS days, I actually have a HD capture card for home consoles. And plus with the recent patch erasing all of my old replays, I see no reason for a match not to be recorded.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Actually, you can perform down air from it. You have to perform it like you would with a tilt. Just lightly push down. But overall, I get what your saying.

I would be game for some matches today actually. Though right now, I'm in school on lunch, and with the drive home, I probably won't be online until 3:30 to 4:00-ish PM EST.

As for recording equipment, your in luck. Unlike the 3DS days, I actually have a HD capture card for home consoles. And plus with the recent patch erasing all of my old replays, I see no reason for a match not to be recorded.

May it be on Pally dittos with and without customs to show off different styles if I'm around during the time? And thankfully we can send replays now.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
I'm down for some Palutena dittos. I will rock 2322

and about Jump Glide I wrote this awhile back:

"I really liked 2312. I much prefer 2322/1322 (depending on match up) now after seeing Aerolink use Jump Glide. I originally thought Jump Glide was just a janky/gimmicky hassle to learn/mess around with and dismissed it and concluded Warp is "honestly more practical".

Nah. Sure Warp Cancelling is pretty damn cool, but Jump Glide truly opens up many options to get back on stage/land safely; Gravity no longer is a factor when juggling since you essentially have a very maneuverable option to stay in the air; New approach options and follow ups like Glide then slide into jab/grab, Glide and F-air/N-air/D-air/B-air; Superspeed is there for us when Lightweight is on cool down, Jump Glide is ALWAYS there for us whether Lightweight/Super Speed is on cool down or not; You can go extremely deep off stage.

I want to persuade all of you that Jump Glide is worth investing your time. No one has made a thorough Jump Glide guide yet and thus you probably aren't very familiar with the properties/mechanics of the move thus not very effective with it concluding this move isn't good. But I can offer a few general beginner's tip to keep in mind that may help you start off.

1. Don't even worry about "Glide Bouncing" for now
2. There is quite a bit landing lag if Jump Glide ends while you're in the air. You should pretty much always land with a fast fall N-air or F-air out of Jump Glide if your glide won't naturally descend to the ground."

Last edited:

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
I have barely played with customs at all, since I don't really have that opportunity to play with them against players.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I'm down for some Palutena dittos. I will rock 2322

and about Jump Glide I wrote this awhile back:

"I really liked 2312. I much prefer 2322/1322 (depending on match up) now after seeing Aerolink use Jump Glide. I originally thought Jump Glide was just a janky/gimmicky hassle to learn/mess around with and dismissed it and concluded Warp is "honestly more practical".

Nah. Sure Warp Cancelling is pretty damn cool, but Jump Glide truly opens up many options to get back on stage/land safely; Gravity no longer is a factor when juggling since you essentially have a very maneuverable option to stay in the air; New approach options and follow ups like Glide then slide into jab/grab, Glide and F-air/N-air/D-air/B-air; Superspeed is there for us when Lightweight is on cool down, Jump Glide is ALWAYS there for us whether Lightweight/Super Speed is on cool down or not; You can go extremely deep off stage.

I want to persuade all of you that Jump Glide is worth investing your time. No one has made a thorough Jump Glide guide yet and thus you probably aren't very familiar with the properties/mechanics of the move thus not very effective with it concluding this move isn't good. But I can offer a few general beginner's tip to keep in mind that may help you start off.

1. Don't even worry about "Glide Bouncing" for now
2. There is quite a bit landing lag if Jump Glide ends while you're in the air. You should pretty much always land with a fast fall N-air or F-air out of Jump Glide if your glide won't naturally descend to the ground."
You will be surprised just how long I spent experimenting with Palutena's customs. After all, she is not my secondary just to look pretty. So I could tell you many things about Jump Glide (most, if not, all you probably already know of). From the slide effects, to that weird little quick pop thingy that happens when you move in the direction your back is facing (sorry don't know what that is called), to even the Reversal Edge grab tech, so I know quite a bit about the move.

I could give you an article about every special move Palutena has except for only two. Angelic Missile, because I haven't really fooled around with that one much, and all I know of it is that it can be used more than once. The other one, is Heavenly Light, in which I would sum up with one word, "bad". Besides helping Ness players or now Lucus players in doubles, this move has no future.

When it comes down to the moveset of my choice, 1112 will always be my selection. It's all I need.

As for the movesets between 2312 vs 2322, I can see why you would pick 2322 over the other one. Forget what Jump Glide techs are out there, the move itself, best serves with that kind of set IMO. With SS and LW in one moveset, Warps purposes kinda gets diminished. Sure, there is Warp canceling, but Jump Glide would serve more use in a moveset like that. And in replacement for Warp canceling, you always have the Reversal Edge Grab tech.

Ever notice when using this set, Warp feels watered-down as a recovery move? Maybe it's just me.

However, the reason I prefer Warp over Jump Glide is because I prefer her other default specials. With Auto Reticle, Reflect, and Counter/Lightweight, the choice in picking your favorite up special becomes a matter of "which do you prefer the most." With 1111 or 1112, they strongly consist of using Palutena's actual attack game (Tilts, Smashes, Aerials, etc.). You don't really see a Reflect into this, or Auto Reticle into that. It all boils down to you still making use of her permanent moveset. But you do see Super Speed into Nair, or Jump Glide into Fair, or Super Speed into (Jump cancel) Celestial Fireworks into Uair.

But, as I stated before, I love having Reflect, and Auto Reticle in my moveset. So for me, the up special that best supports my set, and playstyle is Warp. I always had a thing for teleporting characters in fighting games (Vergil from UMVC3, Izayoi from Blazblue CP, and now Palutena........also Ermac from MKX). So Warp (specifically Warp canceling) fits a playstyle I'm very use too. Thus, in conclusion, is my favorite.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I generally just use her default because that's what I like. I love warp, and rarely use jump glide, it's probably my least used recovery option. I also really like reflect, which is apparently an unpopular opinion...

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Hey Admiral Pit. Everything all good for some matches? Sorry for being late. I fell asleep by mistake when I got home. D:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Hey Admiral Pit. Everything all good for some matches? Sorry for being late. I fell asleep by mistake when I got home. D:
I kinda am waiting for someone who was supposed to play at this time when he got home, but if he doesn't show, we can reschedule for an earlier time tomorrow or another day. Sorry for the troubles. D:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I kinda am waiting for someone who was supposed to play at this time when he got home, but if he doesn't show, we can reschedule for an earlier time tomorrow or another day. Sorry for the troubles. D:
Nah, it's cool. I actually don't have classes tomorrow (every other day schedule). So I will be free all day.

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
wtf M2K is playing Palutena grand finals against Nairo's ZSS
Yeah, and for some reason I'm starting to get the itch to use the former Hoo-Hah (:4diddy:).

Thankfully, I'm one of the few that actually respect her defaults. It's just hard to make use of em sometimes...
I guess I belong in that minority as well, since I don't really complain about her standard move-set.

I have barely played with customs at all, since I don't really have that opportunity to play with them against players.
Same here, which is why I'm not really keen on customs at this time. :ohwell:

Last edited:

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
Just messing around with 2322. Not particularly doing my best but
I just chose this one to upload cuz of some good mileage of Lightweight/Jump Glide/Super Speed.

Comments/Critics are more than welcome!

Edit:
Another upload 2322. Looks like I played better probably cuz Peach is much slower than Falcon

Edit 2:
As for the movesets between 2312 vs 2322, I can see why you would pick 2322 over the other one. Forget what Jump Glide techs are out there, the move itself, best serves with that kind of set IMO. With SS and LW in one moveset, Warps purposes kinda gets diminished. Sure, there is Warp canceling, but Jump Glide would serve more use in a moveset like that. And in replacement for Warp canceling, you always have the Reversal Edge Grab tech.

Ever notice when using this set, Warp feels watered-down as a recovery move? Maybe it's just me.
Very well said! Jump Glide fits SS/LW better than warp.

And in general response, I don't think reflect is terrible and I did not abandon it completely. I still try to EXPERIMENT with SS against projectile based characters, if I am unable to capitalize with SS then I am more than happy to depend on Reflect. Auto-reticle is a great anti-zoning tool for characters that don't like to approach and charge stuff and way more effective than EF. EF is great too. Warp is great. I honestly know not much about RJ and CF and AM, but would love to see some plays to open my world.

In general, though it seems like I only like 2322, I use other variations very frequently as well. I'm sure you guys do too~

Edit 3:
another 2322 upload

Last edited:

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
How do kill with defaultena?

I'm getting really frustrated when I keep a match even to high percent then drop first stock because if they whiff a kill move = they get dash attack, if I whiff a kill move = I get smash.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
How do kill with defaultena?

I'm getting really frustrated when I keep a match even to high percent then drop first stock because if they whiff a kill move = they get dash attack, if I whiff a kill move = I get smash.
You basically have to condition your opponent into a predictable option then punish them for it. Just stay patient and don't commit to anything unsafe, and if all you get is a dash attack (which can eventually kill at higher percents), then just keep it up until the KO comes to you. Playing this way will draw out games, but it's her most consistent way for success, since she can't really force anything with default specials. Alternatively, you can live dangerously and go for all-or-nothing, hard reads, which isn't consistent, but it works sometimes.

For a few specifics, when you get a grab, pay attention to how your opponent reacts after d-throw and take note of it for the punish. Also, pay attention how your opponent recovers onstage from the ledge and punish accordingly. It can be really hard when your opponent doesn't give you much to take advantage of, so it's important to have the lead so that they have to play your game of spacing/footsies; I believe Defaultena to be more on the defensive side.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
This is random, but here's a Palutena Haiku.

Palutena cute,
Why so very beautiful,
Divine, and elegant?
:4palutena:

And I'm getting my spirit back a bit btw. I hope I can play more Palus in Custom battles so we can ask someone to record em, and show off our styles. It'd be a nice complication of us training together.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
It does help. It's something I've already been doing, but I think I need to do it more consciously.

Any idea how to punish jump away after dthrow? Most people who learn the matchup start doing that pretty quickly against me after I upsmash a few airdodges and I can't really figure out how to take advantage of it. I guess just try to bait an air dodge or go for the uair.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
It does help. It's something I've already been doing, but I think I need to do it more consciously.

Any idea how to punish jump away after dthrow? Most people who learn the matchup start doing that pretty quickly against me after I upsmash a few airdodges and I can't really figure out how to take advantage of it. I guess just try to bait an air dodge or go for the uair.
After dthrow, run past your opponent and immediately jump upair. It's basically a prediction move, and not reaction-based. Or you can wait after they use their double jump and try to catch them as they're landing.

Last edited:

faderpotater

Smash Apprentice
Well after about a 2 month hiatus a visit from some good friends brought me back to smash again, curse school/a plethora of good game releases that took me away from it.

Finally put dome work into custom palu and while I still think default is underated, I have seen the light(weight). I still have trouble using super speed, but when I killed my friends bowser just by using downthrow>fair>fair because of lightweight I knew that I would never doubt custom palutena again. That being said what situations do you guys find super speed useful in? I have heard about using it to chase after the first aerial of a dair combo but can't think of any technical uses, as it is I just kinda throw it out when I feel I can catch my opponent off guard.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I don't really play Custom Palu because most events in my area are customs off so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I find Superspeed useful for punishing rolls and mid-range landing lag, as a recovery option to get back to the stage quickly, and sometimes as an approach. It can also be a fairly safe kill option at certain percents as it combos into a number of things, though to be honest I don't know how DI effects this.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
You can Jump cancel up-smash after tackling someone with Superspeed. You can also do some insane B-Reverse/wavebounce. It's also useful for recovery.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Hey Pallys, quick question. How do you guys feel about having Hades as a potential DLC character?

Thoughts.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Hey Pallys, quick question. How do you guys feel about having Hades as a potential DLC character?

Thoughts.
I'd rather see Viridi, personally. Hades is one of my favourite Ninty villains (second only to Ganondorf), and while I think he has a lot of moveset potential and is gut-bustingly hilarious, I think there are characters that trump him in terms of importance and fan support - I prefer him over Medusa in every way, but I think Medusa has a stronger pedigree and would be just as potent in battle.

I don't really see any Kid Icarus character appearing as DLC, though. I think Viridi or Medusa have a strong chance of appearing in the next game if there's a new Kid Icarus in the interim, but that's about it.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I'd rather see Viridi, personally. Hades is one of my favourite Ninty villains (second only to Ganondorf), and while I think he has a lot of moveset potential and is gut-bustingly hilarious, I think there are characters that trump him in terms of importance and fan support - I prefer him over Medusa in every way, but I think Medusa has a stronger pedigree and would be just as potent in battle.

I don't really see any Kid Icarus character appearing as DLC, though. I think Viridi or Medusa have a strong chance of appearing in the next game if there's a new Kid Icarus in the interim, but that's about it.
Fair enough, and I agree. Someone brought it up to me earlier, so I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694

Thoughts.
I'd hate it. He's already too big (it's not that kinda joke), and there's no evidence of him being small like Palutena, or Medusa for that matter (though the latter probably has been smaller prior to her peace-breaking actions). Phosphora woulda made a much better fighter, and we've seen her fight. Unfortunately she won't ever get that chance being AT status. :(

Dinoman96

Smash Master

Thoughts.
Hades is great, but I honestly don't want to see a scenario where KI of all franchises gets away with four characters. Tons of people were angry over the extremely low effort clone known as Dark Pit getting in, so I can't imagine the backlash of an actual unique KIU character like Hades causing, especially since the amount of DLC characters seems limited.

Last edited:

faderpotater

Smash Apprentice
I personally would love it just because of the character. Is it a good idea? Probably not, but I wouldn't fight it.

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TailisuTheTen
3DS FC
3566-1548-8575
Dark Palutena as her own character.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
So I finally watched some KI:U gameplay (don't have a 3DS). I don't even think it's a question, we need Viridi in Smash.

I've also gained a new found respect for Dark Pit.

faderpotater

Smash Apprentice
So after reading a lot of the comments above a few times about different up specials I am curious about one thing.

I like sticking to warp because I get some stupid recoveries with warP plus lightweight and I often find myself below stage a lot. I'm hesitant about jump glide because it seemed like vertical recovery was so bad on it, though with lightweight used properly that wouldn't be as much of an issue I guess. Lastly I am curious as to how good rocket jump us as a kill move. Is it a good oos kill like Zelda's up-b? Is it only useful for off the stage meteors like how zedi mentioned? Need to do some experimenting myself but interested in what you guys think.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
To anyone here that's played Mewtwo,

Don't you find he has a lot in common with Palutena's default moveset?

-Disjointed Jab 1 that can lead into things, including sometimes grab.

-His tilts cover similar areas to Palutena's, except they're usable :D (and Dtilt is the best for both).

-Air dodge punishing and comboing Nairs.

-Swift fairs, though Palutena's recovers quicker

-Spiking dairs (hardly exceptional coincidence, but still...)

-Unblockable Side b reflectors.

-Warps

-Down bs that are potentially highly rewarding but very punishable and not too useful in general.

PlTe

Smash Journeyman

Thoughts.
I think Medusa would work better.

You could turn people to stone.

Buci01

Smash Journeyman

Thoughts.
My priority list would be
Medusa - to complete the Kid Icarus Triforce. And have you seen that amazing boss battle and all the moves she pulled?
Pyrrhon - It's Pyrrhon. He is the Captain Falcon of the Olymp, with the mouth of a Deadpool
Viridi - but only because she is prominent in the game. She has not shown any fighting skills at all.
Hades - actually my least prefered choice of a DLC character. Boss character? sure. Commentator? Why it did not happen is beyond me. But he didn't show any interesting moves at all.

No other character should get in before those, seeing how all of them are the face of a specific arc in Uprising and all of them have huge potential.

Would love Chaos Kin and Eggplant Wizard as ATs though.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Remember before the Zeldys invaded when we were talking about Jabs into Smash attacks?

I had mentioned a possible mixup route with Jab 1~ Down Smash. After exploring it for a bit today, I realized it is a decent mixup route.

(Percentage tested, 153%) After using Jab 1, you quickly use Down Smash. By the time your opponent lands on the ground, down smash will have already connected. So it can't be shield. The opponent also can't air dodge either, because the attack will still hit them. It will just send your opponent flying forward and not diagonally up. The only way to escape, is by jumping (assuming you can still jump).

It nothing game changing, and probably won't ever be, but just thought I'd share it with you guys.

faderpotater

Smash Apprentice
Remember before the Zeldys invaded when we were talking about Jabs into Smash attacks?

I had mentioned a possible mixup route with Jab 1~ Down Smash. After exploring it for a bit today, I realized it is a decent mixup route.

(Percentage tested, 153%) After using Jab 1, you quickly use Down Smash. By the time your opponent lands on the ground, down smash will have already connected. So it can't be shield. The opponent also can't air dodge either, because the attack will still hit them. It will just send your opponent flying forward and not diagonally up. The only way to escape, is by jumping (assuming you can still jump).

It nothing game changing, and probably won't ever be, but just thought I'd share it with you guys.
Does it make the tip of the wings hit? If I remember correctly the wing tips send them at an awkward recovery angle. Hopefully you would be killing before 153 but if you need options this could be a good one.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Does it make the tip of the wings hit? If I remember correctly the wing tips send them at an awkward recovery angle. Hopefully you would be killing before 153 but if you need options this could be a good one.
For the most part, it's an up close hit. Unless your a little bit further away, or your opponent air dodges, than it will connect with the tip.

Edit: And the 153%, was just a number I roughly tested on. So it could go a little smaller. Also, I was testing it on Ike, so it could very with the rest of the cast.

Nothing too drastic, just thought I'd share.

Last edited:
Top Bottom