• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

DrROBschiz

Smash Apprentice
To anyone here that's played Mewtwo,

Don't you find he has a lot in common with Palutena's default moveset?

-Disjointed Jab 1 that can lead into things, including sometimes grab.

-His tilts cover similar areas to Palutena's, except they're usable :D (and Dtilt is the best for both).

-Air dodge punishing and comboing Nairs.

-Swift fairs, though Palutena's recovers quicker

-Spiking dairs (hardly exceptional coincidence, but still...)

-Unblockable Side b reflectors.

-Warps

-Down bs that are potentially highly rewarding but very punishable and not too useful in general.
1 - Her jab is very similar yeah.

2 - Her tilts leave her more wide open but hit harder and cover a larger area.

3 - Im glad they fixed her nuetral. It had weird hitboxes and no hitstun (instead had small knockback) which means not only did in not suck players in but also allowed them to recover and hit back even when they took a hit. So yeah it is similar to Mewtwos but you dont set it up the same way

4 - Her Spike is vastly superior and is way easier to connect.

5 - Little more of a stretch since they vary quite a bit but I see where you are going with this

6 - Her Counter is still not very useful. More of a "get off me" option. At least Mewtwos can be a gamechanger in a fight if you can connect it.

faderpotater

Smash Apprentice
If my 3ds wasn't I explicably lost I would run some tests myself, unfortunately it is looking like I will have to buy a new ds and copy of smash (farewell hard earned customs T.T) as I have torn the house apart trying to find that dang thing.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
1 - Her jab is very similar yeah.

2 - Her tilts leave her more wide open but hit harder and cover a larger area.

3 - Im glad they fixed her nuetral. It had weird hitboxes and no hitstun (instead had small knockback) which means not only did in not suck players in but also allowed them to recover and hit back even when they took a hit. So yeah it is similar to Mewtwos but you dont set it up the same way

4 - Her Spike is vastly superior and is way easier to connect.

5 - Little more of a stretch since they vary quite a bit but I see where you are going with this

6 - Her Counter is still not very useful. More of a "get off me" option. At least Mewtwos can be a gamechanger in a fight if you can connect it.
Palutena's spike is faster, but Mewtwo's is much deadlier and has more forgiving hitboxes.
All counters can be game-changing if you counter a big hit.

Hockeyfan44

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockwv478
Palutena's one of my favorites to use, right behind Robin, but the only issue that I've have when using her has been she takes way too much damage, but on the flip side, she gives out a ton of damage. And I love using her final smash.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I have another DLC related question for you Pallys.

So what do you guys think of a potential DLC costume(s) for Palutena, or just additional color swaps in general? Personally, I'm not too crazy on DLC costumes, but if its free or very cheap a wouldn't mind.

Seeing things like this:

Or this:

Though with that last one, the shield is bigger than her current one, so it might have to be shrunken down or just keep the current one as is.

Once again, not crazy about it, but just want to here thoughts.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

So what do you guys think of a potential DLC costume(s) for Palutena, or just additional color swaps in general? Personally, I'm not too crazy on DLC costumes, but if its free or very cheap a wouldn't mind.

Seeing things like this:

Or this:

Though with that last one, the shield is bigger than her current one, so it might have to be shrunken down or just keep the current one as is.

Pseudo Palutena.

I would be fine with either of those.

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533

Seeing things like this:

Or this:

I'd like both, but the bottom one would be the main one I'd use, it actually used to be my avatar lol

Dinoman96

Smash Master

Seeing things like this:

Or this:

Stuff like this is what makes want a Project M equivalent for Smash 4, actually. Say what you will of the mod, but I think we all have to admit they make (mostly) wicked sick alt costumes.

Not all of them are a hit I feel, though. For example, their classic Pit costumes always bothered me...

Yeah. I appreciate the effort on the PMDT's part, but I think it looks somewhat awkward in action because Pit was a child in the original games, whilst he became a teenager in Brawl/Uprising. The only way I feel it'd look right is if they made a smaller Pit clone (Like Toon/Young Link to Link). A retro Palutena costume wouldn't look as strange because she's an adult in both her old and modern design.

Last edited:

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes

Does anyone know how to connect a footstool after Jab? I wanna mess around with this but I can't seem to figure out how close they need to be and/or percentage they need to be at to get the footstool.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Stuff like this is what makes want a Project M equivalent for Smash 4, actually. Say what you will of the mod, but I think we all have to admit they make (mostly) wicked sick alt costumes.

Not all of them are a hit I feel, though. For example, their classic Pit costumes always bothered me...

Yeah. I appreciate the effort on the PMDT's part, but I think it looks somewhat awkward in action because Pit was a child in the original games, whilst he became a teenager in Brawl/Uprising. The only way I feel it'd look right is if they made a smaller Pit clone (Like Toon/Young Link to Link). A retro Palutena costume wouldn't look as strange because she's an adult in both her old and modern design.
I love PM! And yeah, hopefully we could have something on the lines of that.

Does anyone know how to connect a footstool after Jab? I wanna mess around with this but I can't seem to figure out how close they need to be and/or percentage they need to be at to get the footstool.
.............wha......what? (O_o)' I just tested it.......it works.........

Edit:

It works, but I only seem to land it on large characters. So far, I got it to work on Donkey Kong, Bowser, Charizard, and Dedede (a little tricky with him). Rosalina also could work, but the player has to DI in the direction you want them to.

Last edited:

faderpotater

Smash Apprentice

Seeing things like this:

Or this:

I think those costumes would be pretty cool. The thing I like about palutena right now is that pretty much all of her recolor are great. Normally I like 1 or 2 palettes of a character but I like pretty much everyone of palutena's

faderpotater

Smash Apprentice
Seems like the jab into footstool/AR/smash only works at really high percents. Also I had a question for all you other palutena mains, what do you often do to counter characters who can space better than you, like characters with attacks that just reach farther than palutenas? I had some mild success playing against my friend and just constantly staying mobile and trying to get him to whiff a punishable move but there were still times where I just couldn't land a hit because his moves would hit me before I could get close enough. Any tips for how you like to deal with this?

faderpotater

Smash Apprentice
Depends. Does he have disjoints? Do you run faster than him? Does he have a projectile? What character is this?
really just about any sword character seems to really give me trouble. It has always been a personal match up issue as my friend is really really good at spacing and I have been playing with him for several years. So while I have gotten pretty decent at spacing myself he is always one step ahead of me. The character he uses the most often that gives me trouble is Ike. Like I know Ike is supposed to be utter garbage tier and he is slow and punishable and all those things, but I feel like on the ground he just beats palutena out because of his jab and quick tilts. The only option I can think of to oppose his momentum is short hop aerials but if you use those too often he can just powershield grab. Keep in mind this is purely with defaults ATM as the tournaments here are still slow to pick up customs, when using customs I even things out a bit but without I just don't know how to rival his range and killing power.

The situation I find myself in a lot is that I have to jump away from an aerial combo of his, only problem is he lands and autocancels and is now running towards me as I am falling from my jump, even with fast falling he usually gets to me before I land and can usually grab me with little contest as jab doesn't come out quick enough to stuff it and that I know of jab is Palutenas quickest ground option. I could try and grab him back but often times his grab is coming out before I land. The few times I have tried fairing before I land he always gets a powershield off then grabs me. I figure you guys should have more experience at the game and can tell me what I am missing here.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
So I've been playing a little bit of default Palutena, and apparently, it seems I've gotten better with her; I suppose even the skills I gained from playing her with customs transfers over. If default becomes the standard in my region again, I would continue to play her, but I may also have Diddy Kong as a secondary for her harder MUs vs. the fast characters like Sheik, Sonic, Falcon, Yoshi, ZSS, Fox, etc. But for now, I'm still on the practice grind with just Palutena for EVO this year.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Because Palutena is perfection of the highest caliber, why would she ever revert to a dumb-downed state?
Hylia. Also gods don't live forever, she mentioned they have a lifespan. Though to be fair Mewtwo being kind
of man-made kinda shoots down direct reincarnation, rather you could say she came back as Arceus, who then created
Mew and then people made Mewtwo from it.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I just want to say this, and I don't mean it in any creepy way but......I love you guys, and this thread. :D

I had to say that.

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
I hope this question doesn't sound dumb but, has anyone on this thread battled AeroLink? If so, from your experience, how is he? I know he's good, but how good is he? Can he two-stock you?

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I think we should have a Pally Gauntlet where AeroLink 1v1s every one of us till he loses or defeats us all. I think that's a good way to gauge skill.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I think we should have a Pally Gauntlet where AeroLink 1v1s every one of us till he loses or defeats us all. I think that's a good way to gauge skill.
I would love to battle AeroLink. Seeing how he plays in matches, that would make for an interesting match up.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Anyone want to play right now?

cool but not practical at all.

Save it for the streams and the scrubs :troll:

cool 40-something percent not really guaranteed combo with Palutena lol

pick bf.

d-throw at low percent under a platform>they miss the tech>reset with autoreticle>they fall off the platform>jab>d-throw>n-air>u-air

its dumb

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord

Inb4ToonPit

What does Palutena say sometimes when she uses her Forward Smash and Down Smash? I can hear her say something, just not what. Those voice clips aren't in the Sounds section either.

Last edited:

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
Inb4ToonPit

What does Palutena say sometimes when she uses her Forward Smash and Down Smash? I can hear her say something, just not what. Those voice clips aren't in the Sounds section either.
Goddess Wings! I'm confused as to why this voice clip is absent though.

Last edited:

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
To me, she sounds like she's saying "Goblets!" or "Gauntlets!". One of the two. :ohwell:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
On the 3DS version, I muted everything except voice clips, put my headphones on, and yes, she's indeed saying "Goddess Wings" during her smash attacks. For awhile I thought she was saying "Gotcha!" or something.

Last edited:

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
On the 3DS version, I muted everything except voice clips, put my headphones on, and yes, she's indeed saying "Goddess Wings" during her smash attacks. For awhile I thought she was saying "Gotcha!" or something.
You're right. :eek: Can't believe I was this dumb. :facepalm:

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
The Palutena users seem to be under the misconception that you need to try and reflect her paralyzer shots when it's actually a bad idea.
Yeah, considering her reflector is kind of slow. I sometimes use it when she's charging the paralyzer, since it gives you time to react.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Alright, so if a Palu puts up a reflect, punish that.

If a ZSS is charging a paralyzer, don't reflect.

Got it.

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
Even then you shouldn't use it unless she mis-spaced it.
ZSS can move almost immediately after and you're in prime position to get hit by a Z air or FlipKick
Oh right, I forgot she can promptly flip jump after using paralyzer. I don't see many ZSS's go for that though; they usually go for the grab.

Last edited:

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
Well yes, but if you go for the reflect bait, they cant get a grab because her projectile is coming back at them.
Which is why I sometimes use the reflector. I don't remember what I did to avoid flip jump though. Shield > N-air, I think?

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
But ZSS is near even.
For Default Palu as well.

WOAH WAOH WOAH WOAH WAOH WAOH IDK... WHO IN THE WORLD YOU'RE PLAYING... BUT ZSS AND PALU IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO EVEN FOR DEFAULT WHAT? SHE GETS JUGGLED TO ETERNITY!?!??!!?

on a high level Palutena cannot deal with Zss. Huh? Like I play against Marsstuff regularly and he's ranked number 2 in New England. If you've played me you know my Palutena isn't absolute garbage either. I got second in a tourney with many PR'd players in NC with Palutena. But on a high level that matchup is absolute trash. Palutena's poor air mobility keeps her being juggled. Her ground options are too slow against that jab of Zss's a frame 8 jab vs a frame 1? nah not looking too good. and that's her safest ground option as well. Zss can juggle the heck out of Palutena since her ground speed is 5th best. Palutena's air speed on the other hand is 41st :\. Making it near impossible to escape juggles. This matchup is bad like any other top tier match up. Ones that I an see Palutena handling are maybe Diddy and Ness and Yoshi. And that's of the very top characters. She can handle her own from about Mario/Captain Falcon down I think.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
WOAH WAOH WOAH WOAH WAOH WAOH IDK... WHO IN THE WORLD YOU'RE PLAYING... BUT ZSS AND PALU IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO EVEN FOR DEFAULT WHAT? SHE GETS JUGGLED TO ETERNITY!?!??!!?

on a high level Palutena cannot deal with Zss. Huh? Like I play against Marsstuff regularly and he's ranked number 2 in New England. If you've played me you know my Palutena isn't absolute garbage either. I got second in a tourney with many PR'd players in NC with Palutena. But on a high level that matchup is absolute trash. Palutena's poor air mobility keeps her being juggled. Her ground options are too slow against that jab of Zss's a frame 8 jab vs a frame 1? nah not looking too good. and that's her safest ground option as well. Zss can juggle the heck out of Palutena since her ground speed is 5th best. Palutena's air speed on the other hand is 41st :\. Making it near impossible to escape juggles. This matchup is bad like any other top tier match up. Ones that I an see Palutena handling are maybe Diddy and Ness and Yoshi. And that's of the very top characters. She can handle her own from about Mario/Captain Falcon down I think.
I guess I'm an odd one huh? I actually don't have a problem with ZSS. In fact, so far to date, I only lost to 4 ZSS players in my entire time playing Smash 4 (Both 3DS, and Wii U). And that is me just speaking in general. Other than that, I didn't really have a problem with her while playing as Palutena.

As for the rest of the High tiers:

Sheik: I struggle with at times. I have to really focus with this matchup.

Diddy: Didn't know he was considered dangerous until January tbh. Similar to how a feel about Sheik, just less concern.

Rosalina:............I want that Luma to dissappear......

Sonic: Had a problem with him mid way in, but after a while, I started to figure him out........that and the recent Patch made my original problems with him moot.

Yoshi: Now this one I just find annoying, considering most Yoshi players do the same thing. So for me, Yoshi is just that one character I need to purify.

Ness:......."Pk Fir..." "Reflect!"

And Last, but not First, Luigi: Pretty Tricky if you don't know what your doing. And if the match is laggy, forget about winning lol (JK)

Top Bottom