• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I legit love your use of Warp, it's great.
I also noticed you stopped using Auto Reticule as much (which I kinda expected would happen; it looks like an easy move to dodge and I don't think it's gonna get spammed)
and I also noticed you used her tilts more. We all kind of wrote them off at first for coming out slow, but I think as long as you get a feel for how long the moves take and know when to execute them, you can make use of their nice range.

andimidna

Smash Master
What types of combos and stuff have you guys been seeing with Palutena? I've been busy getting better with her so I haven't seen what has been working for other people. It's really tough for me to win with her, and its sad cause I really see potential. I've won a few games with her, but when it gets tough I'm forced to switch to Lucina. What am I doing wrong?
Oh and I never tried to answer your question.
While I haven't played the game yet, I think I've picked up on some useful tips... Hopefully.
Palutena is a ranger-zoner type character, so sheis lacking in reliable up front combat, so make sure to take advantage if her camping strategies. And don't underestimate her ledge guarding abilities (or whatever it's called. Her forward smash has a wind box, and can push characters away that are about to reach the ledge. Her up smash can keep away characters trying to return on to the stage over the ledge. But if they were hit pretty far off, yet can still recover, she does have a decently reliable spike that is a big surprise to an opponent after a game of mostly camping and zoning. And if they do reach the ledge, if they get up by jumping, reflect can come in handy when set up right to push then back off, and if they get back on the stage by attacking, stand close by and counter. In the Palutena gameplay I've seen, almost nobody uses her counter.
Anyways, when you want to play as her offensively it seems her most reliable moves for most situations would be her jab and nair, and in less cases dair. Not her side tilt though, while most side tilts can be used for a quick offensive attack that gives low damage and knock back (speaking very generally), but it's range combined with its lag makes it another one of her zoning/camping moves. It's mostly only useful for a quick punish to an opponent charging something up from a distance where it could hit you, but where it's dangerous to go in for a grab or dash attack. Her side smash might just be all around more useful.
I'm not sure about combos though, her throws have somewhat far distance so I'm not sure if she can act out of them easy. But she can use her throws for kills pretty well. I love when Palutena players dodge and roll and warp around playing mind games and force their opponent to do something stupid, and coming in for a kill from their mistake.

If I was Japanese I'd have more to say :p, d1 probably has a lot of good tips in the video posted above though if you haven't watched it yet, I was just about to myself.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Also guys, Palutena's staff attacks have very unusual properties when it comes to priority. They can clank, but I don't think they can cancel out.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I legit love your use of Warp, it's great.
I also noticed you stopped using Auto Reticule as much (which I kinda expected would happen; it looks like an easy move to dodge and I don't think it's gonna get spammed)
and I also noticed you used her tilts more. We all kind of wrote them off at first for coming out slow, but I think as long as you get a feel for how long the moves take and know when to execute them, you can make use of their nice range.
Yeah, once you get pass the lags, surprisingly, her tilts are not that bad. Her side tilt actually is a 3 hit move, but for the most part, all you will land is 2 hits because the first hit requires you to be up close to your opponent. And her down tilt is very excellent.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
What types of combos and stuff have you guys been seeing with Palutena? I've been busy getting better with her so I haven't seen what has been working for other people. It's really tough for me to win with her, and its sad cause I really see potential. I've won a few games with her, but when it gets tough I'm forced to switch to Lucina. What am I doing wrong?
Hmm. Well, I guess I love to short hop into Palutena's forward air a lot because it gives you some combo routes but here are some tips that I can give:

*Try using her jape more. It is very quick.

*Try utilizing her dodge roll, and teleport because that is a great way of confusing your opponent.

*Learn all of her lags. My rule of thumb is to learn the lag intervals with all moves of a character. That way, you can maximize
your speed for that character.

*Keep in mind of Palutena's armor. The shield that she uses in her dash attack, and her back air can actually protect her.

*Also keep in mind of her edge teleport cancel. If you teleport right near the end of the ledge, Palutena will fall off, but she will switch into her aerial stance. This is not just great for confusion, but it is also great for trying to connect a follow up.

I think this is all I can give you at the moment. To be honest, most of my combos for Palutena aren't planned. I play them by ear. But the best tip I can give you is try to make up your own fighting style. I would love to see a different aggressive Palutena player other than me and @ AeroLink_the_SoulMaster AeroLink_the_SoulMaster . Hope this helps. :/

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
I noticed in one video that her f-tilt seemed to snuff out ZSS's paralyzer. (Either that or it happened to fizzle out just before it hit her...)

Is that special? Or is paralyzer just super low-priority?

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I noticed in one video that her f-tilt seemed to snuff out ZSS's paralyzer. (Either that or it happened to fizzle out just before it hit her...)

Yup, she can do that. Good eye my friend.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
With D1's video I'm not even sure what custom moveset I want for her, her jump glide looks amazing for approaches and you can also Up B with it out of shield, Auto Reticle is a must, definetly having these ones. Until there everything good, but her super speed and reflect are in the same B move and I just *struggles* I love them both and I honestly would set one of them to Down B if I could. Guess I'll need to try them all before deciding which ones to have.

Btw I see we can now have the little SSB4 main icons on our profile, so happy to finally have my precious dorks in there. <3

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I was reading the tips and I came across this little tidbit for Palutena.
Note that it can't be used in 1v1:

"Heavenly Light has good reach. If you hit somebody with it who is launched by others, it counts as your KO."
Basically, it's the ultimate KO stealer. :4palutena:

EDIT: I'm pretty sure you know this already, but Celestial Fireworks has Invincibility Frames after the firework is launched. (According to the tips)

EDIT 2: Heavenly Light also slightly pushes opponents outside of the light. Probably to balance.

EDIT OH MY HADES EVEN MOAR: Lightweight also increases jump lenght. (The demo says she can jump further, not higher.)

Last edited:

Iron Maw

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ironmaw
3DS FC
1091-8076-0883
Here's a video of D1 talking about Palutena for an hour.
This and recent vids have been making me feel a bit better about her close range game. That said it just rec0nfirms her as being one of (if not the most) versatile character in cast. In coming years she definitely be a tough character to place in MU chart. Regardless of where I'll still play her in he end though.

I do disagree with D1 and about Reflect Barrier being useful for anything, but projectiles though. I've seen too many people just pass by it without it having no effect at all.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
So I found out about this:

Also read that Tharja's trophy is not in the final game.

Aside from million jokes of "Palutena is Sakurai's waifu/ Sakurai knows his priorities".. this feels strange to be still here despite what all other "censoring" has been done. Kind of like rubbing too much on something that wasn't that prevalent or common with Palutena Uprising. But eh, everything to please her new found perverted fanbase which at this point will overtower over the ones that necessarily aren't Palutena-user = Closet Pervert.

Also me questioning ESRB for letting Palutena slip through... I bet some people reply with "Palutena's a goddess, of course she'd make them do that".

The question isn't if it has to end on an already enough forced joke, it makes all the censoring in this game lose meaning to a degree. It's gonna be difficult to be Palutena-fan from now on too.
I know the topic is pretty much finished but I think it had to do with the fact that her legs visibly show in her model so a black vortex would probably be weird.
I always pop up at controversies and I don't know why.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
So I've been intentionally secluding myself from too much conversation about Palutena since I kind of want to have a fresh perspective as soon as I pick her up instead of feeling like emulating stuff I've seen other people do. Kind of want to use her my own way and discover her moveset on my own.

What I do want to do is that I figured I want to start conversations about her match-ups and character specific movesets, or at least do so as soon as we all have a copy of the game.

Was thinking of setting up a poll in the match-up thread to decide which character to focus on first during the week following the game's release, but first I wanted to gauge interest... is this something people would be eager to discuss?

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
It would be cool if we could all have a Skype group just like the Rosalina section is doing. It would be great to talk about our character and research our match ups with our sub characters.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I would prefer if we could keep the discussion about the character here in smash boards. Not everyone here uses/likes Skype.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
My problem with Skype is that it can get spammy and laggy despite being faster, and you need good moderation to keep things in check. I can't have that happen to us. No explanation needed on trolls.
I don't mind talking to a few Skype ppl individually though, but that's about it unless there's a group I can trust.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Another match:

Vs. Critter - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHBTEf7ZXQo&list=UUuBhMqosgW-ECZjJZ9pv0Dg

I guess my match versus Bwett didn't get uploaded, but I just wanna say that Little Mac is a super hard match-up for Palutena. Afterwards, I didn't go Palutena for the rest of the tournament. I think I'll continue to use her, but not versus characters like Sheik or Little Mac. I was playing tons of games the whole day after the tournament with Denti and Bwett, and I just could not keep up.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
So I've been intentionally secluding myself from too much conversation about Palutena since I kind of want to have a fresh perspective as soon as I pick her up instead of feeling like emulating stuff I've seen other people do. Kind of want to use her my own way and discover her moveset on my own.

What I do want to do is that I figured I want to start conversations about her match-ups and character specific movesets, or at least do so as soon as we all have a copy of the game.

Was thinking of setting up a poll in the match-up thread to decide which character to focus on first during the week following the game's release, but first I wanted to gauge interest... is this something people would be eager to discuss?
Definitely. Yeah, I think it'd be neat if we spent maybe a week focusing on each character, and every week we voted on who the next character should be. It'd keep everyone really productive and keep the board active I think. Though, I think it'd be best to start it a week after we've all had the game, so that we can get a feel for Palutena herself first.

It would be cool if we could all have a Skype group just like the Rosalina section is doing. It would be great to talk about our character and research our match ups with our sub characters.
I'm actually... liking this idea : P if it wasn't too huge of a group I'd be down for it I think.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
*shrugs*

I really hate this "Skype for everything" trend. I will be staying here, if I wanted to talk about Smash on Skype I wouldn't have created a Smashboards account.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
There would be a limit to the group like 5-7. Pm me if anyone would like a small group. Anyways. Does palutena's up smash have invinicibilty frames?

Beastmegs

Smash Cadet
NNID
Beastmegs
3DS FC
3325-1862-3482
not really fond of having a skype group chat just for discussion of palutena when we can do that here
it would just make it even more baren then it is already
i would only be for a skype group chat for like exchanging FC's with eachother and have some matches together

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
We should totally get some new blood in here. Organise a cosplay masquerade or something to spread the word and I will take up any excuse to wear a crown and dress.

Nah, but seriously, when the game comes out, I do agree that we should all get together and play some matches together. I think this group could definiely benefit from more social interaction, too - some fun forum games and maybe group meet-and-greets where we can just get to know each-other and discuss what we like about Kid Icarus and Smash and so on and so forth.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I surely would enjoy Palutena dittos after a couple days after we get used to the character and controls. Bring out the customs most definitely, customize your Palutena, and have the great fights. It'll be fun.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Palutena dittos sounds like an awesome idea actually, given how much room she has for variety.

Add to that, I think it's not a bad idea either to organize some Kid Icarus Uprising multiplayer matches.

As for skype, I think it's best if used stuff like talking while playing online, but for discussion I agree we should keep it here. Once you limit discussion to skype groups I feel it gets a bit exclusive and leads to an in-group thing forming, and I personally don't like that much.

And going by what you guys say, Oct. 3 when the game comes out I'll set up a poll in the match-up thread so we can decide which character match up to analyze first a week after we've all gotten accustomed and in the groove of things.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!

Her ftilt can stop projectiles.

There would be a limit to the group like 5-7. Pm me if anyone would like a small group. Anyways. Does palutena's up smash have invinicibilty frames?
Palutena's upsmash does not have any invincibility frames. In fact, she can get hit out of it, and the hitbox becomes inactive.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Her ftilt can stop projectiles.

Palutena's upsmash does not have any invincibility frames. In fact, she can get hit out of it, and the hitbox becomes inactive.
Bro I love watching your Palutena!

I played Palutena at Tipped Off 10 vs Hungrybox 1st round. It was close but I lost mid % last stock both matches. I'm happy that I got an Upsmash kill and Dsmash roll read kill on him. Still kinda mad I SD'd 2nd game, lol. I'm getting top 3 @ Apex 2015 w/ this character, that tournament has me fired up to play and not lose like that anymore.

Add me on Skype: Gadiel_VaStar

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
The only tournament I'm sure I'll be wining is the one I'm having at my house on Oct. 4th. I'm the only one who will be there that owns the game already haha. I'm trying to become the best Palutena I possibly can, and I think I'm starting to get a bit better. My fave thing to do is first play hit and run with auto-retical, than eventually I fake them out with rolls and dodges to confuse them. I eventually grab them and down throw them into an aerial attack (usually up-air or nair). Afterwards I try to get them with the F-Smash or U-Smash for the kill.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I kinda get too angry these days if I played that honestly, with all the cloning and w/e that's been going on. Last thing I need is all the "Eyetrack and Magnus" spam all over the place.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
Hello everyone I am FloatingMew... and I- I- *Tears up* I'M A DIRTY MAGNUS CLUB SPAMMER,

On a more serious note, I haven't heard any news on whether or not Palutena says her attacks. Could anyone tell me if this has been confirmed. I want to annoy my friends with "JUMP GLIIIIIIIDEEEE!!"

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Hello everyone I am FloatingMew... and I- I- *Tears up* I'M A DIRTY MAGNUS CLUB SPAMMER,

On a more serious note, I haven't heard any news on whether or not Palutena says her attacks. Could anyone tell me if this has been confirmed. I want to annoy my friends with "JUMP GLIIIIIIIDEEEE!!"
Sorry about that. *patpat* I mean it's just when I played against random opponents, it's usually either a generic set with or without Evasion +3/4. I quit a long time ago because of the stress, especially since I don't/can't clone weapons, making my work harder.

I think she does based on the JP footage of her when Autoreticle, Warp, and Reflect Barrier are used. So I assume it'll translate to the English names in the US version.
I need that Jump Glide and Fireworks. D:

Last edited:

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
Sorry about that. *patpat* I mean it's just when I played against random opponents, it's usually either a generic set with or without Evasion +3/4. I quit a long time ago because of the stress, especially since I don't/can't clone weapons, making my work harder.

I think she does based on the JP footage of her when Autoreticle, Warp, and Reflect Barrier are used. So I assume it'll translate to the English names in the US version.
I need that Jump Glide and Fireworks. D:
My Club:
I didn't try for any of the stats, I didn't even know what evasion was until I looked it up while writing this.
I really need trade-off for:
Trade off + IPAB 5 + Backward dash charge 3
I didn't realize how op this thing was O-O

I'm glad she says what she does. "BLACK HOLE!!! MEGA LASER!!!"

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
My Club:
I didn't try for any of the stats, I didn't even know what evasion was until I looked it up while writing this.
I really need trade-off for:
Trade off + IPAB 5 + Backward dash charge 3
I didn't realize how op this thing was O-O

I'm glad she says what she does. "BLACK HOLE!!! MEGA LASER!!!"
Beats the generic "Walking Speed + Standing Ch.Shot" or "Speed + Dash Ch.Shot" ones. *eyetwitch* I do have a few weapons I cherish that I may use if I play, though some are competitive, like my Geminis, and one of my Phosphora Bows. <3

We do need more talkative characters, and that's also why I like Palutena talking in her moveset. <3

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
Beats the generic "Walking Speed + Standing Ch.Shot" or "Speed + Dash Ch.Shot" ones. *eyetwitch* I do have a few weapons I cherish that I may use if I play, though some are competitive, like my Geminis, and one of my Phosphora Bows. <3

We do need more talkative characters, and that's also why I like Palutena talking in her moveset. <3
I've never really tried getting a good Bow or Orbitars, I try to focus on Staffs and Palms.

I have an idea that could either be good or annoying. Characters saying lines when they K.O. someone. It wouldn't affect the character like how a taunt stops them from moving. An example would be ZSS saying "Is that all?" as soon as she KOs. It could be toggled off and you could choose between 2-3.

Top Bottom