• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I kinda missed it with no link to it, sorry. D:
I do wanna see some amazing Palutena goodness again soon. Maybe vs a Pit, idk why.

Burigu

Smash Ace
My current main and secondaries as of Brawl: :4yoshi:,:4kirby: (I really dislike this new icon), :popo: and :4luigi:
Characters that I am intenting to use as soon as I get the game:
:4palutena: Palutena the very reason I am in the boards, Yoshi might be my fav character ever, but I haven't even written a single line in the Yoshi thread, Palutena might be tied as my fav character now with him. She is the only character that I seek videos about.

:4lucina: Lucina, I just loved Awakening and was my most hyping and wanted game in 2013, Lucina is a really memorable and likeable character, becoming my second most wanted, she ended up being a clone, but o well, I love her palletes especially Tiki, Cordelia and Sumia, which are of my fav females in the game, I always marry male Robin with Cordelia and Chrom with Sumia, yes I love Intelligent Systems canon couple. Also female Morgan 10000% better than creepy faced male Morgan, I just don't know male Morgan's face is so odd to me that if some day I play as female Robin I am not marring her to anyone he looks more like Henry than Robin and don't hurt me about this: I don't like Henry, he is at the very bottom of the barrel

:4robinf: Robin, a pleasant surprise I never considered Robin for some unknonw reason, but like with Lucina I just love the addition, I always play as :4robinm: in Awakening but I find myself using female Robin for Smash, I guess I just have a weakness for female characters in smash this time around.

So after that unnecesary text about those characters here my hopeful list
MAINS: :4yoshi:,:4palutena:
Secondaries: :4kirby:,:4lucina:,:4robinf:
Not so secondaries: :4luigi:,:4tlink:
Also interested in :4larry:(as a child Ludwig was my favorite but since their return Larry takes the cake), :4duckhunt:,:4shulk: and maybe :4pit:

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
It's really really hard to tell who I'm gonna play the most often without actually having the game but I think I might actually use

:4zelda: more than :4palutena:? I mained Zelda in PM / played her often enough in Brawl and I'm good with / fond of her toolkit; Palutena is my favorite character though, so even if her playstyle doesn't turn out to be my favorite, I'll still use her for sure.

Other predicted mains are :4lucina:, :rosalina:, :4shulk:, and :4wiifit:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I think Robin,DHD, and Palutena will really be my mains. Especially since I read that robin doesn't have to commit to the Levin sword, so I can just pretend the Levin sword is just an auto tipper. Duck hunt because I like dogs. Palutena because she looks fun and she's one of the new females.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So people tend to give Ladypal a lot of smack because she's supposedly emblematic of "Sakurai bias".

Yes, her possessing a distinct gameplay gimmick based on powers that she canonically possesses in much the same way in the source material is truly biased.

Indeed.

Naughty Sakurai, naughty, naughty, naughty.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I like sticking to one main :4palutena: has the highest potential of taking it but will need to get the game to make sure she will be getting the spot..
secondaries so far :4megaman: (because of the Demo), :4lucina: (because of Cordelia's color scheme :p), :4robinf:, :4pikachu:, :4greninja:, and maybe:4tlink:
Not sure where :4zelda: will be going atm as I'm liking :4palutena:'s Playstyle more than hers..

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Oh Paluetna, how epic you've become. That's just so satisfying. <3
Now we just need to imagine counting Mac's KO punch and send it back at him.

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
It seems like if you use her Fair when returning to the stage it ignores projectiles so if someone tries to edge guard you, then you have a free way back.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Thank you very much for this, you seems like a really capable fighter, to be honest after watching your videos, I discovered a personal weakness of mine, you know competitive Smash wasn't a thing for me until about last year, I always played with my friends without items and Final Destination (to test who were the best on "neutral" conditions), I was the kind of player that didn't risk to much pursuing the others when they were off the stage, unless I was using Kirby because of his fantastic aereal mobility, after watching you pursuing others off stage and manage to accurately hit and recover, I am starting to risk more off stage. At least with Mario at the demo which is the closest thing to Luigi one of my low secondaries. I can say Palutena's recovery is much better than Mario's

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
i was making a palutena avatar for myself earlier; these might be a little too big for smashboards, but still, in case anyone wants one:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
This delicious data is promising. I shall use one default Palutena, have Fireworks/Jump Glide on another (my planned main), and a potential speedy Palutena build, and maybe another! Keeping your opponent guessing with these unique specials will be just grand. Mastering em is the tough part. <3
Still, that speedy Palutena going under the stage is gonna be something fun to do.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Thank you very much for this, you seems like a really capable fighter, to be honest after watching your videos, I discovered a personal weakness of mine, you know competitive Smash wasn't a thing for me until about last year, I always played with my friends without items and Final Destination (to test who were the best on "neutral" conditions), I was the kind of player that didn't risk to much pursuing the others when they were off the stage, unless I was using Kirby because of his fantastic aereal mobility, after watching you pursuing others off stage and manage to accurately hit and recover, I am starting to risk more off stage. At least with Mario at the demo which is the closest thing to Luigi one of my low secondaries. I can say Palutena's recovery is much better than Mario's
You and I are very similar. I didn't really get competitive in Smash until roughly 3 years ago. But even then, my edge game was very poor. It wasn't until last year where I started taking risk. Now, edge game is a thing with me. And like you said, Palutena recovery is a lot better than Mario's. With Mario, I have to make sure I don't go to far down the ledge or else I'm in trouble. But for those situations, I try to use Mario's wall jump if I can. Also, Mario's cape isn't as good as it use to be for recovery, but surprisingly, Fludd is. You can actually use fludd to shoot your way back to the stage. But with Palutena, all she has to do is teleport.

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
So I've been watching a decent amount of Palutena game play and I think I'm starting to understand her. Unlike how some players are trying to play her right now I don't think she's a camping character. With her defaults she's just doesn't have the ability to keep people out nor the speed so I think you should only ever camp against other very camping characters, she's anti camp not campy.

Instead how she suppose to be played is a aggressive defense game where she would hover at the very edge of her dash attack attack range or her mid range. When your opponent approaches put a ftilt wall in their face or better yet a jab, if they come from the air utilt or counter/shield. You do this only when they come to you while you wait you dance in and out of dash attack range making sure to punish their landings with a dash attack or when they disrespect your zone. If you see a opening or want to keep them honest put pressure on them with fair into jabs as it combos very well, save bair for gimping and maybe kills, uair too..maybe it might be needed for juggling more then killing. Dair is amazing but I don't know how to add it yet to this style besides for gimps and some strings, nair I need to see it get use before I can even start to think about it.

This is the base I'm going to build my Palutena style on and I think this is how she suppose to be played against non campy characters.

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
So I've been watching a decent amount of Palutena game play and I think I'm starting to understand her. Unlike how some players are trying to play her right now I don't think she's a camping character. With her defaults she's just doesn't have the ability to keep people out nor the speed so I think you should only ever camp against other very camping characters, she's anti camp not campy.

Instead how she suppose to be played is a aggressive defense game where she would hover at the very edge of her dash attack attack range or her mid range. When your opponent approaches put a ftilt wall in their face or better yet a jab, if they come from the air utilt or counter/shield. You do this only when they come to you while you wait you dance in and out of dash attack range making sure to punish their landings with a dash attack or when they disrespect your zone. If you see a opening or want to keep them honest put pressure on them with fair into jabs as it combos very well, save bair for gimping and maybe kills, uair too..maybe it might be needed for juggling more then killing. Dair is amazing but I don't know how to add it yet to this style besides for gimps, nair I need to see it get use before I can even start to think about it.

This is the base I'm going to built my Palutena style on and I think this is how she suppose to be played against non campy characters.
You pretty much just summed it up. I noticed the moment I picked her up that I can't play as Palutena like I do with the others. Palutena has a lot of defensive tools and that is probably why it turned down some players. However, I think most gave up on her too quickly. It is those same defensive moves that can make Palutena very aggressive. And it took me a day and a half to realize that. My first impressions of Palutena where not positive ones. But I didn't give up, and continued to play as her. Now, I believe I've hit the Holy Grail.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
So are you saying that Palutena is passive aggressive because I love passive aggressive characters.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So are you saying that Palutena is passive aggressive because I love passive aggressive characters.
That would be so appropriate for her character it would actually be physically painful.

Sakurai, you clever so-and-so, you! ^_^

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
peach might have to be a sub this time around... and Rosalina might replace her for sub if I keep seeing good videos from her as well...

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Palutena being that type of character would be interesting. I mean for aggression I had Bowser, defense I had Pit, so why not a mix of both for Palutena, who can have different styles depending on what customs you have for her? It's perfect!

That NinjaLink vid also showed the customs and Fireworks can kill. *celebrates with Celestial Fireworks* Please let customs be legal.
We need a Palutena Fireworks Gif. I can say right now that I may use it as a taunt as well. :4palutena: She'd be happy.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
You pretty much just summed it up. I noticed the moment I picked her up that I can't play as Palutena like I do with the others. Palutena has a lot of defensive tools and that is probably why it turned down some players. However, I think most gave up on her too quickly. It is those same defensive moves that can make Palutena very aggressive. And it took me a day and a half to realize that. My first impressions of Palutena where not positive ones. But I didn't give up, and continued to play as her. Now, I believe I've hit the Holy Grail.
Yeah I had a real tough time with her at first, so I mainly played with Lucina and Duck Hunt. But now that I've gotten much more playtime, she is for sure my main. Lucina is number 2.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hi everyone, I feel like posting here mainly because of the hype I'm feeling for Smash 4 and Palutena as a character. So, hi! I'm Locuan.

I honestly have not played any of the Kid Icarus games. However, I have a knack to main characters in Smash from games that I have never played before. After playing them in Smash, I look up their games and play them and they become my favorite series. So for now I am hoping that will be the case!

Palutena intrigues me as a character in the Smash Bros. Series. I plan on her being my main and discovering her tricks. From what I have been seeing in videos and streams she seems to be a bit more on the defensive side. I have usually used aggressive characters in Smash before. However, I have had trouble being able to read my opponents actions correctly and using the correct defensive options in the right situations. For some reason, I believe Palutena will be the character that will reward me the most when I improve those mechanics; seeing as though she seems to be on the more defensive side of characters.

I do not know if my logic is correct but I hope to seeing you all online during the years to come!

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
My post is a bit long so I added a spoiler tag. I wrote this more for myself then everyone else as I tried to grasp my thoughts on Palutena specials.

Neutral B Explosive flame
Side B Reflect Barrier or Super speed
Up B Jump glide or Teleport
Down B Celestial Fireworks or Counter

Neutral B Explosive flame

From what I've seen auto arrow is just unreliable, it also doesn't seem to set people up nor does it do much damage. I think choosing to not use it in favor for the great walling tool explosive flame is much better and who knows maybe dash back into reverse explosive flame or jump back into it could be a good reset tool. Sure it might not kill but each hit is 11% and that's 11% for you to be closer to killing them while helping you refresh your decay moves. This move looks especially good for edge guarding, either shoot directly over the ledge (Once the game comes out someone needs to test to see if there any characters that can get snipe off the ledge) or far out to catch your opponent or bluff them into not recovering in a certain way.

Side B Reflect Barrier or Super speed

Palutena Reflect Barrier is just amazing, it makes certain match up's so much easily for Palutena that I dare say it is a must take in the first round of tournament matches just for those easy wins. That is at least until there Palutena's who are confident enough that they can rush in on characters like DHD and Villager without it Which might be possible with her speed. I do think though if you choose Super speed over Reflect Barrier then you should probability have counter so you will at least have some answer to projectiles unless Celestial fireworks is just proven to be better in the majority of scenarios, like if fast fall onto someone on the ground into celestial firework is a actual safe thing to do against anti airs and projectiles.

I go back and forth on Super speed if it's better then Jump glide or not, they go about the same speed but glide is more flexible and safer on shield while super speed is much better at gimping and possibly punishment. If you could do super speed into dash grab then I guess it could be better... at least on face value. One big problem I do have with Super speed and these combo's people are putting up is that it requires you to run straight at your opponent sometimes across the whole stage so you can set them up for a usmash or whatever. In a real match if you try to pull that crap you are just going to get grab or OoS dash attack or worst once you pass though them.

If Palutena can survive without her Reflect Barrier though then I can see a lot of people just taking both.

Up B Jump glide or Teleport

Jump glide is amazing, if you don't take super speed then I feel this is a MUST take for Palutena. The amount this improve her offensive and defensive options is just amazing and its really a shame they didn't make this her default up B. The only way this move could be bad is if you lose your recovery like pit if you get hit out of it but I've yet to see any notice of this. With that said I can see a build without jump glide if you choose to pick Super speed and Teleport over it as a more gimp focus built or so you can return the stage more constantly when you go ham and rush pass someone only to find yourself half way to death. The third up B option could also be useful for it's big hit box and spike, Palutena just has good up B options.

Down B Celestial Fireworks or Counter

To wrap things up Celestial fireworks is a good anti air move that does good damage and can kill but the main reason why this move is so good is because it's abundant of invincible frames and solid hit box that start in front of Palutena when she's invincible .(Testing is needed to confirm but it looks so legit) It just seems like the best choice but counter might have a place...maybe... The more I think about Celestial fireworks the more I think all Palutena's should just always pick it.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I personally plan on being able to use all specials as best as possible. Can't feel right calling myself a Palutena main if I only play with what everyone says are the best specials instead of using them all and defining my own style.

Good info though, nice to keep in mind.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Indeed, I even made a thread here detailing how default Palutena can counter nearly all
of spam used by newer players with her specials.

rpgcaster

Smash Apprentice
She looks anti-air and anti-camp for default, it's great. With the exception of Heavenly Light which I can't see a use for competitively personally, all her specials seem like great options. Ah, only a few days to go, I can barely contain my hype!!

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
if I used her fireworks I would try and use it to get myself on the stage safely when im on the edge just so I can extend my invincibility.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'll test em all really, but my main st would probably be:

B: Autoreticle
Side-B: Reflect Barrier
Down-B: Celestial Fireworks
Up-B: Jump Glide

I can't help but really use a projectile for safety reasons. Sure it can be easily avoided but it has its uses. I believe Reflect Barrier speaks for itself, especially against frequent and/or strong projectile users. If it can be used to push opponents back as they're coming back on the stage then I can use it for that too. I know Celestial Fireworks is perhaps one of if not her best custom with the invincibility frames, anti-air and killing capabilities with a nice spam rate, and it's good on Battlefield or stages with upper platforms. Jump Glide's versatility also speaks for itself, giving her speed and recovery and such. This makes the Goddess of Light all-around IMO and able to take on various threats.

I'm also interested in trying:

B: Explosive Flame
Side-B: Super Speed
Down-B: Celestial Fireworks
Up-B: Jump Glide

You sacrifice having a projectile (I don't think EF is one?) and having a reflector for great speed and better recovery capabilities. That NinjaLink vid showed that Palutena can use SS and Fireworks to go under Battlefield and come up from the other side in a matter of seconds, though it won't work on certain FD versions of stages I think. Fireworks stays as it still seems to dominate as anti-air and good with platformed stages like Battlefield.

B: Autoreticle/Explosive Flame
Side-B: Angelic Missile
Down-B: Counter
Up-B: Warp

I'm not sure about this one, but the plan is for it to take on large powerhouses. Autoreticle being a simple projectile to usually force them to approach, or EF to make use of its hitbox against the large targets. Angelic Missile helps with recovery and is a potential killing weapon, not the best, but meh. Counter is for anticipating the strong hits. If you do, then you surely have a chance to kill or at least build up on damage. Warp, well... Palutena I assume has issues if opponents are below her to the point where you either can only D-air or air dodge away, but Warp adds as an extra option to escape when they're at Palutena's weaker spot below her in a way.
TBH, her Default Specials can also be good against typical heavyweights, too.

Game's almost out, and I may write about the specials sometime and how I feel about it after some time with the game. I'll try to use them all, though I may have issues with Lightweight the most as I'm not too fond with the drawbacks.

Top Bottom