• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Palutena is like the Mii Fighters, in the sense that her 12 specials are not derivatives of a "base", like Mario's 3 variations of the Fireball. All of her specials are completely different, and seem to be based off of the Powers from Uprising.

So her regular attacks will be other things like what she did in the boss fight, and miscellaneous attacks.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Trying various different combinations of Palutena's specials will be fun.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
VERY nice Palutena reveal trailer. I love how Sakurai incorporated the Powers from KI:U into her moveset...

Also, does she seem a bit serious? I suppose that's how she'd be if she was fighting... she leaves all the witty commentary to when she's watching.

Palutena's trailer was truly hype. Glad that she is playable. Her attacks are based on KIU's powers and also has moves from her boss battle. Pretty nice that the voice actors are the same as Uprising. Maybe there will be a codec thing like the Star Fox characters and Snake in previous games.

That Dark Pit tease, though. Hope it means he's an alt. for Pit. That would be great.

And I want a Smash Bros. anime now...
You and me both...

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Does anyone else think that Palutena looks really bad? The fact that they used all of her custom moves in the trailer makes it seem worse. I know its a bit early to say a character is bad but looking from the footage...:upsidedown::4palutena:
Because having 12 seperate options you can mix and match TOTALLY means shes bad

....wait, what?

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Because having 12 seperate options you can mix and match TOTALLY means shes bad

....wait, what?
Wow 12 options? You mean like everyone else has?

Only Auto-Reticle, Lightweight, Explosive Flame and Counter seem to be of any use.

The custom moves just looked like they were trying to cover her weak points with flashy moves.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Wow 12 options? You mean like everyone else has?

Only Auto-Reticle, Lightweight, Explosive Flame and Counter seem to be of any use.
Completely different moves compared to how other fighters move properties changes. Sure, they''re options, but Palutena's cover a much wider array of situations.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Completely different moves compared to how other fighters move properties changes. Sure, they''re options, but Palutena's cover a much wider array of situations.
My assumption is that custom moves won't be used in tourney's. If her defaults are bad than she will be. If she doesn't get Lightweight she won't be any good. Her running speed is atrocious. (If she has heavenly light... ugh.) Most of them looked pretty average to me. If custom moves are in tourneys than she will be fine. Basically, the bad outweighs the good with her move-set.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'm sure customizing will be allowed as long as the moves aren't game-breaking. For Palutena's case, having 12 different moves based on her powers make her all the more amazing. It's like you can customize Palutena to fit your style, almost like how you can choose the weapon and what Powers Pit uses in Uprising.
Oh, I can already tell she's gonna be fun. We need some POTD of her soon. D:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My assumption is that custom moves won't be used in tourney's. If her defaults are bad than she will be. If she doesn't get Lightweight she won't be any good. Her running speed is atrocious. (If she has heavenly light... ugh.) Most of them looked pretty average to me. If custom moves are in tourneys than she will be fine. Basically, the bad outweighs the good with her move-set.
I'm pretty sure Palutena will be an exception to the rule, even if custom moves are outright banned (which would be silly, the Amiibo's exist for a reason). It's basically her gimmick - she's not "a fast character" or a "strong character" - you can put her into all kinds of extremes, so really, tourney players should give Palutena players a choice.

Also, customisation is confirmed to be accessible from the character select screen anyway.

I can see Palutena players being told to have a moveset ready before the tournament, and to stick with it the entire tournament. Same goes for other characters if they are allowed to use them.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
All of her specials look pretty good imo, except maybe Heavenly Light
I'll probably run Explosive Flare (B?), Jump Glide (Up B), Reflect (Down B), and Angelic Missile (Side B). That would be if I am right about their inputs of coarse.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Yea custom moves aren't as janky and ridiculous as I thought they would be at first. I hope they are allowed only for Palutena's sake.

Neo Zero

Let alone the fact they'll be available with the character, there's no sense in banning them if all it is

Character>Moves>Confirm

Adds about 3 seconds to the selection process, outside of anything game breaking, I'm sure they'll be allowed

On a similar topic, items wont be, they have to be found and aren't equipped on the select screen it seems, but that I'm sure surprises no one.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I don't know. If Heavenly Light does damage, despite not making opponents flinch, it can still probably break the weakest projectiles. I can imagine using it to protect yourself against bob-ombs as one example. As a person that likes being unique, I wouldn't mind trying to make each move useful in a way. That's the power of being experimental and curious.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
So can the name of this thread change to Palutena General Discussion/Social Thread (blah blah blah) :0 ?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't know. If Heavenly Light does damage, despite not making opponents flinch, it can still probably break the weakest projectiles. I can imagine using it to protect yourself against bob-ombs as one example. As a person that likes being unique, I wouldn't mind trying to make each move useful in a way. That's the power of being experimental and curious.
Yeah, I was thinking about it earlier and if by some longshot the competitive community allowed customization options for Palutena and the other characters, I think it could possibly make the tournaments a little more varied and fun. Obviously there will probably be one set that everyone uses because it will be the most effective, but my hope is that the custom moves can be implemented in a way that they could be viable. I've sort of likened the idea to how the Pokemon metagame works, where (obviously) you can run unique and interesting teams of pokemon that could work really well (or not, but they're still entertaining) while there are still a few that are the go-to teams for winning because they're incredibly effective.

This is my worry with custom moves though. Sakurai and his team seem to be focusing so much on implementing this concept for every character on the roster in a very deep way (12 special variations per character is no small number), but I worry that this will see little use in the community relative to the amount of development time it was given.

I really just don't want to see a feature they've seemed to put so much time into essentially go to waste when the game is released.

Last edited by a moderator:

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
rather than custom moves, what are the possibilities that she just has flashier tilts, smashes, etc? She very easily could be an AoE eccentric character, but much harder to combo with

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Yeah, I was thinking about it earlier and if by some longshot the competitive community allowed customization options for Palutena and the other characters, I think it could possibly make the tournaments a little more varied and fun. Obviously there will probably be one set that everyone uses because it will be the most effective, but my hope is that the custom moves can be implemented in a way that they could be viable, and I've sort of likened the idea to how the Pokemon metagame works, where (obviously) you can run unique and interesting teams of pokemon that could work really well (or not, but they're still entertaining) while there are still a few that are the go-to teams for winning because they're incredibly effective.

This is my worry with custom moves though. Sakurai and his team seem to be focusing so much on implementing this concept for every character on the roster in a very deep way (12 special variations per character is no small number), but I worry that this will see little use in the community relative to the amount of development time it was given.

I really just don't want to see a feature they've seemed to put so much time into essentially go to waste when the game is released.
That's how I feel bout items sometimes. There may need to be casual events or something for item users too. Sakurai put items in for the fun and chaos, and I don't want em to go to waste this time. But anyways, I'm hoping we'll be able to use customs so I can customize Palutena how I please, and it'll go well depending on matchups.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
I have a feeling that Heavenly Light is an UTilt / USmash, Explosive Flame is a SSpecial, Mega Black Hole Laser is a Final Smash and Warp is an Up Special. Which would mean Rocket Jump is the Up Smash which means Heavenly Light is the UTilt!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Just so you guys know, Palutena having 12 COMPLETELY different specials based on Powers is not me speculating. It was confirmed at the Round Table, and is even on a new update on the Smash website.

I feel custom moves as a whole will be fine as long as the Smash 4 competitive scene is not lead by Melee elitists who are set in their ways. This is Smash 4, not Melee, so instead of relying on wavedashing and L-cancelling and such for a strong competitive scene, let's make use of features Smash 4 has unique to it for it's competitive scene.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Just so you guys know, Palutena having 12 COMPLETELY different specials based on Powers is not me speculating. It was confirmed at the Round Table, and is even on a new update on the Smash website.

I feel custom moves as a whole will be fine as long as the Smash 4 competitive scene is not lead by Melee elitists who are set in their ways. This is Smash 4, not Melee, so instead of relying on wavedashing and L-cancelling and such for a strong competitive scene, let's make use of features Smash 4 has unique to it for it's competitive scene.
Melee elitists won't be playing Smash 4 there's not enough Melee in it.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
It's a new Smash game, they will buy it, and some will try to have influence.
A lot of Melee players lost hope after Brawl. It was such a disappointment to them that they are going to wait to get the new smash and see if its good or not. This train is going to be ran by the Brawl community if anything. After all that been said about the demo by top Melee players. http://meleeiton.me/2014/06/10/invitational-impressions/ I doubt that most of them will come and play this one.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I need as much data on Palutena as possible. It's gonna be great in hoping the site updates with showing off their special moves, and their customized looks. They did it with Mario's Fireball so far, so I'm eager to see the stuff for Pit and Palutena.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
By the way, does anyone else find her face in her artwork to be a bit off? She looks alright in the game, though.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
So um, that chart on your sig. Think Palutena should finally get the green in there? :p

Burigu

Smash Ace
I know we are in Smashboards but this whole Palutena is good in competitive or bad doesn't bother me at all, I want to use the character I like and adapt to how it plays, I play with items and with friends for fun, so if Palutena is not so great at competitive, I don't care

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Just a question: I can't find what music plays during Pit and Link's fight in Palutena's trailer. If someone know what it is.... :p

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
I posted this in another thread for Palutena, but I think it would go better here since people are actually talking about all the moves.

*Palutena is a unique character as her customization options give new moves instead of altering existing ones. It is impossible to say what her starting moveset is until we are told from Sakurai himself.

Smashes:
:GCR::GCA:

Palutena rushes forward and attacks with her shield.
:GCA:

Palutena hits the target with her staff multiple times.

Palutena calls upon her wings and quickly push them forwards to attack.

Palutena quickly rotates her staff and hits anyone in range.
:GCU::GCA:

Palutena knocks the target upwards with a huge flash of light.
:GCD::GCA:

Palutena spreads her wings in a downwards movement and hits targets around her.
Aerials:
:GCA:

Palutena swings her staff around her hitting anyone in front or behind her.
Throws:
:GCU::GCA:

Palutena grabs the opponent and throws them upwards.
Specials:
:GCB:

Palutena rains down rays of light on opponents inflicting damage on anyone caught.
:GCB:

Palutena stops opponents in place.
:GCB: .

Palutena quickly rushes forward and attacks.
:GCU::GCB:

Palutena takes flight in the sky.

In a quick motion Palutena glides upwards and explodes anyone around her.

Palutena teleports similar to zelda's farore's wind. She can teleport forwards and backwards in the video so this could possibly be a side B move or even an up B. This move looks like the only option for a Neutral B that doesn't fit anywhere else though.
:GCL::GCB:

In a quick motion Palutena launches herself forward. Similar to Pikachu's rocket move.
:GCL::GCB:

Palutena surrounds enemies in a ball of fire.
:GCR::GCB:

Palutena shoots projectiles towards the target.
:GCD::GCB:

Palutena counters when an opponent lands a hit.
:GCD::GCB:?

Reflects projectiles in front of Palutena. Looks like a great edge guard move!
:GCD::GCB:?

Palutena summons fire from the ground and lights the enemy on fire.

Last edited:
Top Bottom