• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm personally been suprised by her huge rising of support during this whole year. I still can vividly remember people putting off Palutena over Medusa year ago. (Pretty much pre-Uprising) (-l<>l);;
I just supported her because of her likeable personality and I overally thought she'd be potent and interesting if made to a fighter. But I didn't raise my hopes to her high because of Medusa. (I think Tri-Hy and Chrono supported her too and stuff)

But yeah, I'm personally finding it intriguing but funny that Medusa's support has now went on Palutena. On the other hand, even if it's so usual, it's funny to watch fans flock to characters in terms of likeliness. (-l.l);

Dark Phazon: The nicknames :laughing:

But you have some point there: Ice Climbers might get badly outdated the way time goes on. Just wondering, would they get replaced (despite their gimmick?)? Maybe with a similar character to them or even Takamaru?

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
scrap poopoo and bananna.. they suck there stage sucks there music suck..

Pit got revived these 2 will never.scrap em!

no one will miss em :phone:.
I laughed at bananna. Otherwise, people will miss them. Id Roy and Mewtwo are missed this much for similar movesets (not the same movesets in Mewtwo's case, but similar) With this being an original moveset they will definitely be missed. And maybe they will get a revival, the fact Pit got it shows anyone can be revived, Little Mac came back, Golden Sun came back and it looks like Takamaru and maybe even Balloon Fighter will be coming back soon. Who's to say they won't ever be remade again. Maybe into an action platformer sort of thing

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Assuming the insults that would make a kindergartner shake their head in shame were for the Ice Climbers (okay, I admit I chuckled...), many people would, actually. And I disagree that they and their stages and music suck (although, a tourney-friendly stage would be nice...).

To stay on topic, I do think that the majority of people with Palutena on their rosters generally like her as a character.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It's bit funny tho, I mean we seem to have all the thoughts around Palutena sprung out already so it's no wonder we seem not much voiced about her at the moment. Maybe we just wish to see how Sakurai would do her. (Heeheeheeee)

D

Deleted member

@ChronoBound: Almost everyone. Except of course, ToiseofChoice.

Anyway, she's definitely the most likely female newcomer. With her being in the Top 10 most wanted characters, she's practically a shoo-in (the only ones more likely are King K. Rool and Mewtwo).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The reason that Medusa fell and Palutena skyrocketed was because of Kid Icarus: Uprising. As soon as people found out that Medusa had a much smaller role then expected, the support died. Palutena on the other hand gained far more support for her character leaving a bigger impression, especially if you involve the relationship between her and Pit.

The relationship feels like some sort of bond between a younger brother and older sister in my eyes, which is something I personally can relate to.

D

Deleted member

That and the fact she has shown to actually be able to do stuff.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
All that up. I though didn't wish Sakurai had to go out killing off the only major female villain in a Nintendo-game (aside from "Mother Brain", technically) Nintendo had created, unless I'm missing someone here.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I still don't think she should be in, but with this popularity I am starting to expect her in smash. It's still difficult for me to adjust my roster...
I agree with this, but I think she's really only popular around these boards, idk. I still don't see another kid icarus character getting into smash, regardless if sakurai was behind the series or not.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I agree with this, but I think she's really only popular around these boards, idk. I still don't see another kid icarus character getting into smash, regardless if sakurai was behind the series or not.
Palutena is pretty popular across all boards and across all regions. In Japan she is far and away the most requested and popular female, and (not counting Mewtwo or Roy) is definitely in the top 5 there.

I have no idea of her popularity among the super casuals, they tend to favor Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, DK, and Sonic characters for the most part, but as the character has in general been very well received, I wouldn't doubt that if included she would definitely find popularity among the uninformed casuals as well, if she doesn't already have any (plus the super casuals won't know who like half the newcomers are anyway). At least she was also in Brawl in some extent, so hopefully most people will be familiar with her to some degree.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945

Someone got chain grabbed.:troll:

:phone:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

b-b-but... I love Poopoo and Bananna.... D':

Anyway's. I loved Palutena in Kid Icarus Uprising and I would love to see her in Smash as a playable too, it's only a shame Medusa got the short end of the stick since I would have loved to see her playable too. :T Then again, you never know...

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Wow, this thread got popular. Glad to see it. It can also talk about the character after playing the game. I will say that I think there is a good reason Sakurai made her a boss fight ;)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/64894441

I think Dixie Kong will explode in support after K. Rool is confirmed.
Though, we'll see some people say we can't have 4 DK characters. It will be messy for sure.

That's what I've been wondering: How much of her popularity is from people wanting her & how much is from people expecting her (not necessarily wanting her, but are willing to accept she'll be in)?
Probably very few. This more applies to Chrom and Zoroark who are a victims of patterns and good timing. The rest of the cast is usually supported by people who want their character. Here though, Palutena talk is kind of quite and always has been. Chrono's poll shows she's got a quite fanbase.

I'm personally been suprised by her huge rising of support during this whole year. I still can vividly remember people putting off Palutena over Medusa year ago. (Pretty much pre-Uprising) (-l<>l);;
On Medusa: Villains are always more popular in the short run. People gravitate towards them, though they don't always happen.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I distinctly remember the day I started to support BOTH Palutena AND Medusa. It was the day Kid Icarus: Uprising was announced way back in June 2010. I also remember ChronoBound on that day, he said that fans would be split between Palutena and Medusa. And it did happen, but most of the support went to Medusa simply because she is a twofer token minority (female + villain). The support for Medusa imploded in the weeks following Uprising release while the support for Palutena exploded. Me? I still support Palutena but I am also hoping that Medusa gets in as well. These two goddesses would be awesome in Smash, especially in the Adventure Mode. :awesome:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The villain thing is fairly justified since villains tend to hog all of the more cool characteristics. They look cool, they act cool, they live cool, and tend to steal the show with the best lines and songs. It's the reason why so many Disney villains are very fond of for example. Medusa kinda lacked a lot of those traits, being overshadowed by Hades for being so delightfully corrupted.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The only thing Thanatos and Pandora had in common is that they acted like outlandishly bumbling idiots like Captain Hook and Hades. They weren't cool and cold like the Evil Queen and Maleficent, which I think is what Medusa seemed to be similar to. JMO.

I think that Bowser and King K. Rool would be similar to Thanatos and Pandora while Ganondorf and Mewtwo would be similar to Medusa, if we are comparing common villain personality traits.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The villain thing is fairly justified since villains tend to hog all of the more cool characteristics. They look cool, they act cool, they live cool, and tend to steal the show with the best lines and songs. It's the reason why so many Disney villains are very fond of for example. Medusa kinda lacked a lot of those traits, being overshadowed by Hades for being so delightfully corrupted.
it's just as Hades says: "Next to me, little miss Medusa is going to look like a sweet, cuddly bunny."

almost all of the best moments from Uprising are in the chapters featuring Hades, because when he starts talking, you're going to laugh. I mean, most of my favorite lines in the game come from him.

Thanatos and Pandora also had some funny lines and were also comic but Hades stood out more than them.

with Uprising released, the top 5 characters I can see appearing in SSB4 are Palutena, Magnus, Dark Pit, Viridi and Hades, because those are the 5 most important characters in the game's storyline besides Pit
ty Pat

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I just sort of find it nice that Sakurai went through the trouble of redesigning Palutena for Brawl when he by no means had to. Pretty cool of him, imo.
I always that was interesting too. I mean, her redesign was applied to only three things, her trophy and her cameo in SSE and in Pit's FS.

I suspect the reason why there are no vocal Palutena supporters is due to the fact that everyone pretty much expects her to be in.
This could apply to other characters as well. I didn't say much on Krystal and Ridley in the pre-Brawl days because they seemed guaranteed. I think the big thing that helps Palutena that she doesn't really have that many counter arguments that people will use against her. The only one I can think of is people think it's others using the girl card. On the other hand, there are several (faulty) arguments against Ridley and Krystal which is why discussion can and will continue or be avoided otherwise.

As for other KI characters getting in, I don't see it. I do think that Pit will be significantly changed in the next game if not a potential revamp like Ike might get (funny how many predicted this so long ago).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think Pit will remain the same, aside from updated textures for the Wii U version.

Aside from Palutena, I could see Magnus as another choice for another Kid Icarus character. But for now I think Pit and Palutena only are the ideal choices right now.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't see what the big deal with Magnus is. It seems like he's the kind of character that could have a more fleshed out playstyle applied to a Fire Emblem character or even Ganondorf.

When it comes to Pit, I can see it going either way. He will definitely have lots of changes for Smash 4 (pertaining to what, I don't know), but I see that more likely than a flat out revamp which is more likely to Ike and Ganondorf.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think Pit will remain the same, aside from updated textures for the Wii U version.

Aside from Palutena, I could see Magnus as another choice for another Kid Icarus character. But for now I think Pit and Palutena only are the ideal choices right now.
Actually, I think if there will be another character, it would be Medusa.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
After Kid Icarus: Uprising turned her into a joke, I can't really see that happening anytime soon.

Not that her role in the original Kid Icarus was any better...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'd like Viridi in just to have Princess Bubblegum in. Palutena would mean we would get Lightning.

And I noticed that Venus' fourth Palutena color is only two color changes from being a Luka color.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
I would like it if Medusa or even some other goddess got in over Palutena. I originally wanted Medusa, but have pretty much come to accept how likely Palutena is at the moment

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Wow, no love for Hades huh? He would be a great boss character but playable would be better imo. I just want to hear the Hades Pit Hades Pit Hades showdown again.:awesome:

Palutena and Medusa are tied as far my choice for a 2nd KI rep. I would be happy either way, and a Viridi AT would be nice.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Wow, no love for Hades huh? He would be a great boss character but playable would be better imo. I just want to hear the Hades Pit Hades Pit Hades showdown again.:awesome:

Palutena and Medusa are tied as far my choice for a 2nd KI rep. I would be happy either way, and a Viridi AT would be nice.

I never mentioned Hades since i believe that he'll probably get into Smash as a boss battle.

As for an AT, i think that might end up being Magnus.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
After Kid Icarus: Uprising turned her into a joke, I can't really see that happening anytime soon.

Not that her role in the original Kid Icarus was any better...
I say Medusa because she has a larger role in the series. She was the main villain of the first game and she took up 9 chapters in Uprising (everyone else doesn't start coming in until after that).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm guessing SmashChu meant she took up 9 chapters of the story as the apparent primary antagonist
before Hades was revealed
. Which... I probably don't need to spoiler wrap anymore. :p

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
And of those 9 she only directly appeared in 3.

EDIT: I just remembered she also appears in the last chapter as well. So a total of 4/25.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
And of those 9 she only directly appeared in 3.

EDIT: I just remembered she also appears in the last chapter as well. So a total of 4/25.
Those 9 chapters revolved around Medusa regardless if she directly appeared or not. Even if Medusa is not the most important villain in Uprising, she is still one of the well-known characters in that game, not to mention an iconic Nintendo villain since the NES days. Medusa, along with Pit and Palutena, were used to promote Uprising before the game came out... even Magnus to a smaller extent. Anyway, the storyline in Uprising can be divided into three parts: Medusa arc (1-9), Aurum arc (10-17), and Hades arc (18-25).

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
At least Hades and Viridi had the nerve to show up in the chapters that weren't centered on them. :troll:

D

Deleted member

Hades did whatever he damn well pleased.
And that's why he was epic. :troll:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm guessing SmashChu meant she took up 9 chapters of the story as the apparent primary antagonist
before Hades was revealed
. Which... I probably don't need to spoiler wrap anymore. :p
Yeah.....it was suppose to be chapters.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Hades did whatever he damn well pleased.
And that's why he was epic. :troll:
[COLLAPSE="Hades quotes"]"Add a pinch of memories to a ton of souls, put them on a blender and hit frappé!" - Ch. 9

"And when it's ripe, it falls off the vine and organically destroys everything in his path?" - Ch. 12 when talking about Reset Bombs.

"What elegance! What grace! What disturbing brutality!" - Ch. 15 when he puts a second Mimicutie in Pit's way.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade! Like this!" - Ch. 16 when ramming the Aurum Ship on the Hive.

"Underlings! I'm offering 100 gold of the putz's head!" - Ch. 19

""Save Palutena"? Don't you mean "crush Palutena"?" - Ch. 20 before facing against possessed Palutena.

"Our hero's looking a little goth today. I hope the stresses of life haven't gotten you down. That would be ever so tragic." - Ch. 22 when messing with Dark Pit.

"Uh... SPOILER ALERT!" - Ch. 22

"Cheer up. You've been PRIVY to a side of me no one else has - my insides! And now, you will be privy to the inside of a privy too. TootleLOO!" - Ch. 23[/COLLAPSE]

And those are the tip of the iceberg. Hades is the best villain ever, hands down.

His actor did one hell of a job. I think he had fun playing his role, because anything coming from Hades's mouth is pure gold. It's one of the reasons I would like Pit to have an easter egg like Star Fox's and Snake's.

Obviously, if another KI character makes in, that easter egg would apply for him/her.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Anyway, on the subject of Palutena.

Palutena should be in my eyes a character that specializes in defense as opposed to offense. In general Palutena would be weak and slow, but have a lot of options for endurance. Superb recovery, above normal weight, fast dodges, the ability to stun, a reflect move, and above normal range.

Top Bottom