• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I got Uprising day one, which is a rare thing for me to do. Maybe It's because I felt very passionate about the revival of the Kid Icarus series after 20 years of absence, with the passion probably originating from me playing the first two Kid Icarus games in my youth thanks to my sister.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You've only gotta a hold of the game now? lol

Well be sure to post your Friend Code at some point, the mulitplayer battles are awesome.
I only just got a 3DS yesterday. I'm a procrastinator. :p

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I just finished Uprising today. So many great characters!

I would have to say Palutena should get the playable characters slot, while Viridi and Hades get other spots within the game. Medusa to me is just not important in Uprising, so she could probably be alright with just a trophy or boss

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
A Medusa color palette for Palutena would be nice.

:phone:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I, too, finished Uprising today. It's such a good game. It definitely made Palutena one of my Top 5 Most Wanted newcomers.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The only Kid Icarus characters I'm interested in are Pit, Palutena, Medusa, and Magnus.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I, too, finished Uprising today. It's such a good game. It definitely made Palutena one of my Top 5 Most Wanted newcomers.
I have a 3DS. I definitely need to get around to playing Kid Icarus Uprising. I really liked the first two Kid Icarus games, but Uprising is much different from them.

If I do end up personally supporting Palutena as a result of her portrayal in Uprising, she would definitely be the character I supported for by far the least amount of time for Smash 4.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
All Greek to you? Please, there isn't enough Greek to go around. Here's some Greek parallels between Kid Icarus characters and Greek mythology to satisfy your hunger for Greek yogurt and Greek chicken.

You better enjoy the Greek because this stuff doesn't come cheap.

[COLLAPSE="Kinda long."]Pit

• A hybrid of Eros, Icarus, and Perseus.
  • Eros was the Greek god of love, often depicted as a young adult with a pair of angelic wings and was the son of the Greek goddess Aphrodite. He was often depicted with a bow and arrows, which he used to smite love onto his victims. Later a Roman equivalent named Cupid would follow a similar characteristic.
  • Icarus was the son of the master craftsman Daedalus. One day Daedalus created a pair of wings for himself and Icarus made out of wax and feather. Icarus used the wings to fly into the sky, but Daedalus warned to Icarus about flying too close to the sun. Icarus' curiosity got the better of him, and the wax on his wings melted off and he plummeted to his death in what is today called the Icarian Sea.
  • Perseus was a legendary hero in Greek mythology, who in one story slayed the mortal gorgon Medusa with the guidance of Athena assisting him in his quest.

Palutena
  • Based on the goddess of wisdom and warfare, Athena. She was the daughter of Zeus and Metis, and had a counterpart in the form of Ares. Athena often guided heroes with her wisdom and was a disciplining strategist in wars.

Medusa
  • Based on the person of the same name, who was on of three sisters born from marine deities Phorcys and Ceto. She was once a beautiful women, but when she was caught being ***** by Poseidon in Athena's temple, the enraged Athena transformed Medusa's beautiful hair to snakes and made her face so terrible that it would turn onlookers into stone. She was later banished to a lonely island and then was slaughtered by Perseus.
  • Medusa was not a god in Greek mythology, though the title of "Queen of The Underworld" may be derived from the goddess Persephone.

Viridi
  • Based on the personification of earth called Gaia, who created the land, seas, skies, and the Titans.
  • May also takes some inspiration from the goddess of harvest Demeter, who also had the task of justice and vengeance.

Hades
  • Based on the god of the underworld of the same name. Ironically, Hades in Greek mythology was actually a passive god who wanted balance in the world, and despised anyone that tried to cheat death or enter the underworld uninvited. Despite his passive nature, he still had a negative reputation with the living for being the ruler of the underworld. He was brothers with Zeus and Poseidon, and was the oldest of the brothers.

Thanatos
  • Based on the personification of the same name. Thanatos was a daemon who was
    merciless and indiscriminate, hated by—and hateful towards—mortals and the deathless gods. He was a personification of a negative subject along with several of his siblings Geras (Old Age), Oizys (Suffering), Moros (Doom), Apate (Deception), Momus (Blame), Eris (Strife), and Nemesis (Retribution).

Pandora
  • Based on the first women of the same name. She was created by the god Hephaestus, who created her as a "beautiful evil" whose decedents would torment the human race. One famous story involved a curious Pandora opening up a mysterious jar (or box), which unleashed all of the evil upon the land but was sealed before hope could escape.

Phosphora
  • Loosely based on the Greek morning star god Phosphorus, and Electra the princess of Argos. Both names are tied to Greek words relating to radiance or light.

Pyrrhon
  • Based on Apollo, the god of the sun, and the personification of the sun Helios.

Chaos Kin
  • Based on the void in Greek mythology, the state of unprecedented anarchy before the creation of the world. A recurring motif in varies myths is the struggle against chaos, which was often depicted as a monster like a dragon or a snake.
[/COLLAPSE]
Medusa's lore is ironic if you link it to Kid Icarus. You play a character who's allied with a goddess that disfigured her forever, and a god that ***** her.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Finished Uprising today. My -Palutena- that was a good game. It especially influenced my want for Palutena to be in Smash. So much potential...

To go off of what Habanero said, couldn't Dyntos be a sort of analogue to Hephaestus? Gods of the forge, ugly older God, etc?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd say Dyntos is as close as you're going to get to Hephaestus in the KI games, there are plenty of similarities. Also, shouldn't Poseidon be on that list? I'm guessing he was based on, oh, I dunno, maybe Poseidon? :troll::laugh:

D

Deleted member

I'd say Dyntos is as close as you're going to get to Hephaestus in the KI games, there are plenty of similarities. Also, shouldn't Poseidon be on that list? I'm guessing he was based on, oh, I dunno, maybe Poseidon? :troll::laugh:
I think the obvious ones like Poseidon and Hades were deliberately omitted on the list, since they are pretty much the same as their Greek Mythology counterparts (unlike Medusa).
With the exception of Hades being a soul devouring malevolent blackheart. That is solely on Kid Icarus (and nearly every depiction of Hades outside the myths).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hades is on the list. ;)

The list should probably have all the characters with noticeable Greek parallels, though I suppose someone as obvious as Poseidon could be omitted, but then again Hades is pretty obviously based on Hades, even if he has a slightly different characterization.

Anyway, it's just a list, so it doesn't really warrant debate. Habanero can do what he wants with it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That being said, I'm sort of surprised that Uprising lacked a Zeus counterpart.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The Nurse wasn't in Uprising either... but it was handwaved as Palutena lifting the Eggplant Curse herself.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Handwaved by Palutena explaining that she can cure the eggplant curse eventually and Pit making a terrible pun.

Fun fact: The pun in question is different between English and Japanese versions. In English Pit says "Hos-PIT-tal" much to the carnage of Palutena and who ever heard that while playing, while in Japanese he's mixing up the words "nurse" and "eggplant" because both sound very similar in Japanese (na-su and nasu respectively).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I have been playing through Kid Icarus Uprising recently. Palutena definitely has a lot of appeal to her and a great personality. The writing for Uprising is top notch. The controls took some time to get used to though (its still kind of awkward, and hurts my hands after playing a chapter).

I am not yet a personal supporter for Palutena (we shall see after finishing Uprising), however, I do think in terms of adding an "attractive female" Palutena is definitely the best bet and by far the most worthy.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Kid Icarus: Uprising is like the only game Nintendo has produced that does dialogue right, which is probably contributed by the vivid cast of voice actors and the humorous context the Kid Icarus games use. It's also pretty quotable in general, arguably not as much as Star Fox 64 though.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Kid Icarus: Uprising is like the only game Nintendo has produced that does dialogue right, which is probably contributed by the vivid cast of voice actors and the humorous context the Kid Icarus games use. It's also pretty quotable in general, arguably not as much as Star Fox 64 though.
I can pretty much agree with this.

Though after Kid Icarus, I have higher expectations on Fire Emblem: Awakening's voice acting.

But really, Uprising is easily one of my favorite games of all time, not only because of the characters and the humor, but I also like the gameplay (even though the controls were hard to get used to, but it's really a matter of habit).

Palutena is Kid Icarus's likeliest newcomer. I may expect the Eggplant Wizard, Magnus or maybe Viridi as Assist Trophies.

Hades HAS to make an appearence (AT, boss and/or codec easter egg) in the next SSB with the same actor voicing him, or else! He was my favorite character in the whole game BY FAR.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to have a Dark Pit mode for Pit, as in, a set of darker costumes (black wings and red eyes) and voice clips (since they share the same voice actor in both Japanese and English versions, this shouldn't be a problem).

Anyway, obvious borderline fanatic praise of Kid Icarus aside, I still think that Palutena is a very good newcomer for SSB4. She has full potential for a unique moveset. And a new female character is certainly welcome for many people. She could inherit Pit's Final Smash (Palutena's Army), while Pit recieved a new one (the Three Sacred Treasure being the likeliest possibility).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The only Assist Trophies from the Kid Icarus series I want to see are Eggplant Wizard and Centurion.

Eggplant Wizard basically throws eggplants that explode. Anyone caught in the blast are temporarily turned into walking eggplants with legs.

Centurion simply flies behind your character and shoots arrows at your opponents in front of your character. Just like the Centurion Assist item in Uprising.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I have been playing through Kid Icarus Uprising recently. Palutena definitely has a lot of appeal to her and a great personality. The writing for Uprising is top notch. The controls took some time to get used to though (its still kind of awkward, and hurts my hands after playing a chapter).

I am not yet a personal supporter for Palutena (we shall see after finishing Uprising), however, I do think in terms of adding an "attractive female" Palutena is definitely the best bet and by far the most worthy.
Me too. She is arguably the main reason why I consider this the most enjoyable 3DS game. I can see exactly why people support her and I'm a full fledged Palutena supporter thanks to KIU. Since there's many fantastic characters like Viridi, Magnus, and Medusa, it would be nice to have at least one of them as DLC.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I do like the idea of Palutena having a lot of projectiles.

Anyway, for a Final Smash, should she get Pit's old one, or get the Palutena Goddess Clobberlaser (or whatever it's called; I never got that dialogue in-game)?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Technically speaking Palutena's Army was always her move, since she's the one that summons the Centurions and is named after her. It would make sense if that became her Final Smash due to the context alone.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That is true. I was just thinking that she could use a Centurion summon for a Down Special, actually, if they didn't give her Pit's old Final Smash. Either way, Pit would get the GST.

D

Deleted member

I'm starting to think that Pit should get the 3ST rather than the GST, even though I argued the opposite before.
The 3ST just seems more iconic, being used in both the original game and Uprising. It's even got its own artwork.

As for Palutena, if she gets Pit's old FS, it won't be the same, you know. There's also those beefy guys introduced in Uprising that would be included. :awesome:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Centurion Strongarms are what you are referring to I presume. Throw in Centurion Knights and Juggernauts while we're at it too.

D

Deleted member

Oh, there's more than just the beefy guys and the little guys from Brawl?
Haven't really paid attention to the Centurions that much. Then yeah, incorporate ALL of 'em in the Final Smash.
EDIT: After research, just the three styles of Centurions. Leave out the Juggernaut; that's overkill.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If Palutena does get Palutena's Army, I kind of want her to say "It's time for a sacrifice!" or "It won't be a fight, it will be a MASSACRE!" when she activates the Final Smash.

In general I could see her being surprisingly ruthless and cocky in toning.

D

Deleted member

Ironically, I always felt bad about using Pit's Final Smash because they die after they attack.

Then Uprising confirmed that Palutena just revives them afterward, so it's no biggie.

But yeah, I can see Palutena being cocky. I mean, she is a GODDESS afterall.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Unfortunately all that reviving made them pretty flimsy, and everyone and their dog knows it. Then again they are not really needed since Pit is a one man army.

D

Deleted member

Pretty much, if you know you are going to just be revived after you die, what is the point in making yourself stronger? You'll just come back to keep fighting, then probably die again, and be revived again, wash, rinse, repeat.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Presumably they still feel pain. I can't imagine continuously dying and reviving is a very pleasant experience, at least not if Torchwood is a reliable source.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That gets into some deeper thinking. When Palutena revives them, does she care enough to make the resurrection painless? Or can she make the resurrection painless?

I'd map her specials as roughly this (don't mind the silly prototype names)

B: Light Ball
<B>: Centurion
B^: That air rising thing she does at one point.
BV: Blinding Light

FS: Palutena's Army or Goddess Cloberlaser/Palutena Glambuster

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
When it comes down to making things for Palutena (and Kid Icarus in general), one thing that I’m worried about is how much attention is paid to the original Kid Icarus.

Now, don’t get me wrong, Uprising was an amazing game (still trying to 9.0 all the chapters), but part of the charm are the in-jokes to the old. Littered throughout the game are little winks and nudges to that old stuff, from using 8-bit sprites and music to references to the manual (which nobody ever bothers to read). I could probably name at least 5 off the top of my head. In fact, I’d go as far to say that you can’t properly represent Uprising without referencing the first.

So, my question to all of you is, how much do you think Palutena will be based off of the NES Icarus?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
When it comes down to making things for Palutena (and Kid Icarus in general), one thing that I’m worried about is how much attention is paid to the original Kid Icarus.

Now, don’t get me wrong, Uprising was an amazing game (still trying to 9.0 all the chapters), but part of the charm are the in-jokes to the old. Littered throughout the game are little winks and nudges to that old stuff, from using 8-bit sprites and music to references to the manual (which nobody ever bothers to read). I could probably name at least 5 off the top of my head. In fact, I’d go as far to say that you can’t properly represent Uprising without referencing the first.

So, my question to all of you is, how much do you think Palutena will be based off of the NES Icarus?
Not a lot. It's not necessary. Palutena wasn't given much of a character until Uprising. So there isn't much to use. Besides Pit's moveset stills pays homage to the original and we're bound to get remixes of old music.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Not a lot. It's not necessary. Palutena wasn't given much of a character until Uprising. So there isn't much to use. Besides Pit's moveset stills pays homage to the original and we're bound to get remixes of old music.
Still, I'd like at least some reference to the original, even if it’s not much. Like, say, having a special imitate the Protective Crystals, or calling an opponent a "weakling" and saying how they need to train more.

I'm not asking for her to be completely based of the original, but a mix of the old and new to make something unique.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
In Kid Icarus, she was a stock sprite that was there to basically say "CONGARDULATION YOU'RE WINNER". That is not exactly a lot to work with.

Of course that was in-game, as her role is a tad more expanded on by the manual.

Top Bottom