• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I feel similarly, especially seeing how happy the Little Mac fans are. I want to feel that excitement about my most wanted character, and with the temple and the leak it feels like it's sooo close I can taste it.

Also, regarding Sakurai's condition, my guess is the newcomer videos are already complete and they just pace them out as they see fit. I want to believe most of their work now is playtesting and balancing, which would explain why Sakurai's affected by his condition as he can't play the game himself as well as before. So in terms of character reveals I really hope they don't slow down because I really want to see Palutena already.

Other note: I would LOVE to see how a trap-focused palutena would work against such an in-your-face character like Little Mac. It seems like it would be such an interesting match-up.
She has the defenses and potential via Power of Caging! So bring on the Palutena soon!
And like I said, Sakurai really needs to relax sometimes and not stress himself.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
So I bet this has been talked about before, but what do you guys think Palutena's intro graphics would say? (As in, Mac's says "Punches in!")

I'm personally hoping for "Goddess Palutena faces the fight!"

Morbi

Scavenger
So I bet this has been talked about before, but what do you guys think Palutena's intro graphics would say? (As in, Mac's says "Punches in!")

I wouldn't mind if her intro graphic read, "Palutena Punches In!" :troll:

I have no idea, I can't think of any Palutena puns... "Pale Tuna Swims In!" maybe?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694

"Palutena Descends from Skyworld!" Perhaps? I don't wanna see the word "in" in all of the intros though. After all, Variety is good.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I think you could cut the Up part, but then you lose the pun. And I was really hoping for Palutena in February. On the subject of reveals though, we could see her in April. They showed Sonic in October, if I recall right, and he got the same deal as Rosalina/Little Mac and such, being revealed in a direct, so we'll see someone in April. It isn't much, but the Nintendo remix has Kid Icarus, so they could show her off due to that (even if that isn't much of a reason, it is also just after late March, which is Uprising anniversary).

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sorry to bring it up again, and it can be deleted or moved if deemed inappropriate, but I wanted to say my piece on Sakurai's injury, seeing as it was talked about not too long ago.

I've known about it for a while, and it's probably the single biggest reason why I am OK with Smash 4 spending as long as it needs in development. The guy's health is seriously at risk. I've heard stories in the past of video game developers nearly dying from overworking themselves, catching terrible illnesses that nearly take their lives. In some cases, this can be due to poor work conditions. I'm sure Sakurai's work conditions are nice, and I know they do accommodate for his injury, but I still worry about the guy. I don't know if his injury is fatal (Palutena forbid it!) or even treatable or curable, but it sounds like it is very, very limiting, and most of all, painful.

There is no doubt in my mind that Namco Bandai's involvement is in anticipation for Sakurai's worsening condition. I don't know my Japanese law, but I think the guy will need a serious break soon, with paid leave. Or at least, leave him to some lighter work such as the daily pics, and have an assistant who is always on call.

It may sound silly to most, but hearing him say that he is "losing at Smash Bros" (which I'm sure he means he is losing regularly, which likely didn't happen before) is actually heartbreaking to me. He's essentially saying "I can't play this creation of mine that millions of people around the world will be enjoying". That's a soul crushing thing for a developer to have to live with. I'm only a mere games design student, and even I would be pretty upset if I was unable to play my own games that I work hard on.

And mental health is just as important as physical health. While I'm sure he's quite pleased to see so many people support him and I know he makes these games out of pure passion and as a letter of love to the people who play them, this injury is going to effect the guy's mental health eventually (if it isn't already). And when that happens, things will get messy.

Sakurai is one of my games design idols, and as such, I care more about his well-being than I do about getting Smash as soon as possible (heck, this is an overall principle value of mine - the people behind the game matter more than the game itself). Now, Smash won't be cancelled, I know that much. Worst case scenario is that Sakurai resigns from the project due to being incapable of staying in the work environment (he is living away from home until this game is done). But my hope is that, through giving him some time to rest, he won't need to completely resign. Because again, that would hurt his mental health. This man is like a living manifestation of "determination" within the gaming community, and as such, he'd probably feel like he let people down if he resigned, and feel like a failure (especially since Japan is a much harsher place when it comes to proving credibility). Though I think we can all agree he is no failure.

Sakurai says his lifestyle during Melee's development was "destructive", and I just don't want him to do that again, especially with the added inhibition of this injury. So yeah, I'd rather Smash miss it's 2014 window if it meant the guy could recover a bit.

Morbi

Scavenger
Sorry to bring it up again, and it can be deleted or moved if deemed inappropriate, but I wanted to say my piece on Sakurai's injury, seeing as it was talked about not too long ago.

I've known about it for a while, and it's probably the single biggest reason why I am OK with Smash 4 spending as long as it needs in development. The guy's health is seriously at risk. I've heard stories in the past of video game developers nearly dying from overworking themselves, catching terrible illnesses that nearly take their lives. In some cases, this can be due to poor work conditions. I'm sure Sakurai's work conditions are nice, and I know they do accommodate for his injury, but I still worry about the guy. I don't know if his injury is fatal (Palutena forbid it!) or even treatable or curable, but it sounds like it is very, very limiting, and most of all, painful.

There is no doubt in my mind that Namco Bandai's involvement is in anticipation for Sakurai's worsening condition. I don't know my Japanese law, but I think the guy will need a serious break soon, with paid leave. Or at least, leave him to some lighter work such as the daily pics, and have an assistant who is always on call.

It may sound silly to most, but hearing him say that he is "losing at Smash Bros" (which I'm sure he means he is losing regularly, which likely didn't happen before) is actually heartbreaking to me. He's essentially saying "I can't play this creation of mine that millions of people around the world will be enjoying". That's a soul crushing thing for a developer to have to live with. I'm only a mere games design student, and even I would be pretty upset if I was unable to play my own games that I work hard on.

And mental health is just as important as physical health. While I'm sure he's quite pleased to see so many people support him and I know he makes these games out of pure passion and as a letter of love to the people who play them, this injury is going to effect the guy's mental health eventually (if it isn't already). And when that happens, things will get messy.

Sakurai is one of my games design idols, and as such, I care more about his well-being than I do about getting Smash as soon as possible (heck, this is an overall principle value of mine - the people behind the game matter more than the game itself). Now, Smash won't be cancelled, I know that much. Worst case scenario is that Sakurai resigns from the project due to being incapable of staying in the work environment (he is living away from home until this game is done). But my hope is that, through giving him some time to rest, he won't need to completely resign. Because again, that would hurt his mental health. This man is like a living manifestation of "determination" within the gaming community, and as such, he'd probably feel like he let people down if he resigned, and feel like a failure (especially since Japan is a much harsher place when it comes to proving credibility). Though I think we can all agree he is no failure.

Sakurai says his lifestyle during Melee's development was "destructive", and I just don't want him to do that again, especially with the added inhibition of this injury. So yeah, I'd rather Smash miss it's 2014 window if it meant the guy could recover a bit.
I don't want to sound completely and utterly insensitive, but they should really just get someone else to head the project. It is better for Sakurai, it is better for Smash, and it is better for Nintendo. He is stubborn though, he will obviously want to finish the project. However, I do not find it ideal. If the game is delayed because of his health, I am going to be disappointed... why? Because Smash has an entire team, the entire project shouldn't be compromised because it is "his" project. It is just a detriment to progress.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
^That's pretty much what I was driving at. They give him a break, and get someone trust worthy to take his place.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm expecting Palutena or something in April. We'll see her sometime before E3, I'm sure of it.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
There's always late March, April, or even June since trailers often are months apart.

As for the Sakurai thing, I feel he should still work on it, but not hands on for a bit. I mean he should still supervise if he can, but give his hands the most rest that they need. Honestly, he still needs a break going through all that. :(

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
There's always late March, April, or even June since trailers often are months apart.

As for the Sakurai thing, I feel he should still work on it, but not hands on for a bit. I mean he should still supervise if he can, but give his hands the most rest that they need. Honestly, he still needs a break going through all that. :(
I don't see why a newcomer reveal in March is so unplausible to some. The newcomers reveals are going to have to get closer together (December to February is actually not that far) at some point if the game is in fact due for this year. I highly doubt Sakurai is willing to reveal so many at E3 anyways.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I don't see why a newcomer reveal in March is so unplausible to some. The newcomers reveals are going to have to get closer together (December to February is actually not that far) at some point if the game is in fact due for this year. I highly doubt Sakurai is willing to reveal so many at E3 anyways.
You're right. It's just I worry bout so many spoilers so early. Granted, I'd love for her to appear in March, as it'll be the perfect time for Palutena's arrival. It's just we haven't seen any trailers, with the exceptions of Villager, Mega Man, and WFT, be less than a month apart. I'd be impressed if they did it, but let's be on the lookout for more Nintendo Directs.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I could see a three reveal at E3, it doesn't seem too implausible. And I will be surprised if we get reveals outside of Directs, since that seems to be what they're gearing towards. If we do get one in March though Palutena makes the most sense. If they reveal three at E3, I could see Palutena being one of them though. She has enough of a wow factor that she'd make an impact at E3.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
You're right. It's just I worry bout so many spoilers so early. Granted, I'd love for her to appear in March, as it'll be the perfect time for Palutena's arrival. It's just we haven't seen any trailers, with the exceptions of Villager, Mega Man, and WFT, be less than a month apart. I'd be impressed if they did it, but let's be on the lookout for more Nintendo Directs.
Well, for the most part they are monthly, it is just going to depend on if it is....international or not? There is almost defenitely going to be one in March and I have a hunch it will be focused on 3DS titles considering Yoshi's New Island comes out in NA on March 14. If there is a Smash reveal in said ND, I think Yoshi and Palutena would make the most sense (especially if it is focused on the 3DS).

Morbi

Scavenger
I could see a three reveal at E3, it doesn't seem too implausible. And I will be surprised if we get reveals outside of Directs, since that seems to be what they're gearing towards. If we do get one in March though Palutena makes the most sense. If they reveal three at E3, I could see Palutena being one of them though. She has enough of a wow factor that she'd make an impact at E3.
I agree, I certainly see Palutena being an E3 character (along with a heavy-hitter like Ridley or Mewtwo). I don't necessarily think that we will get another newcomer prior to E3. We had to wait 6 months for Rosalina. So waiting another 4 months for 3 reveals isn't entirely absurd.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, for the most part they are monthly, it is just going to depend on if it is....international or not? There is almost defenitely going to be one in March and I have a hunch it will be focused on 3DS titles considering Yoshi's New Island comes out in NA on March 14. If there is a Smash reveal in said ND, I think Yoshi and Palutena would make the most sense (especially if it is focused on the 3DS).
March = Green Power! You got Yoshi as a veteran, and the green-haired Palutena as a newcomer. It'll be perfect. I hope they do it though. It's just that perfect.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
March = Green Power! You got Yoshi as a veteran, and the green-haired Palutena as a newcomer. It'll be perfect. I hope they do it though. It's just that perfect.
Because between Little Mac, Toon Link, Luigi, Villager, Link, Wii Fit Trainer, and Bowser, there's just not enough characters with green backgrounds on the Smash page! :p

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Because between Little Mac, Toon Link, Luigi, Villager, Link, Wii Fit Trainer, and Bowser, there's just not enough characters with green backgrounds on the Smash page! :p
Palutena may actually have to go with gold or a feint white, but green fits her better. Just look at her beautiful hair. D:

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking more of a white of some sort, since it's unrepresented. Given Pit got a light blue though, I don't see her getting white.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Since we have Little Mac's trailer in a comic book style, I'm thinking they may go the anime route for Palutena's.
Many references to Revolting Dinner, eventually leading up to her big reveal and gameplay.

I'm also thinking something similar to Takamaru, maybe oil paints or something.
That would be awesome.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I actually bought Uprising myself as well due to the leak, (that and BrainScratchComm's current playthrough of the game). I'm surprised I missed this, despite a couple of problems I have with it, it's a very solid game.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The leak is almost guaranteed to be real. What do you guys think about it?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Since Micaiah the other beautiful light wielder probably won't get in, I'm all for Palutena. I actually recently bought Uprising because of her character. She's one of my top 5 most wanted.
Welcome to the heavenly support!

I actually bought Uprising myself as well due to the leak, (that and BrainScratchComm's current playthrough of the game). I'm surprised I missed this, despite a couple of problems I have with it, it's a very solid game.
Knew you'd love it! And welcome to the support!

I'm just praying she's playable so our wish can come true, and I'll definitely be able to watch that trailer almost if not every day. I also know Pit's gonna be there, and there's a chance we may get to hear Pit's voice in there, too. Then imagine all the fanart for the Goddess of Light, and more Pit as well! It'll be a dream come true indeed. *imagines* <3
Come on March or some other month, make it happen!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yep. Pretty certain it's confirmed at this point. Like, there's no alternative. No way Sakurai's going to miss the chance to immortalize such a great character he helped flesh out, for those sad, sad people that haven't bought Uprising. (Like, what's wrong with you?)

So yeah. Just looking forward to her reveal. While I personally expect them to throw her at us at E3 (I'm kinda gunning for Takamaru in April, since that's the 28th anniversary of MMC, y'know?) along with hopefully Ridley, K. Rool, Shulk, or some other newcomers (No, THOSE!!!!) that people really are looking forward to.

Since I'm completely certain of her inclusion at this point, I'm just wondering about that reveal! I'm thinking Anime trailer as well. It just works. If Takamaru does in fact join and gets a very oil-painty, japanese-inspired trailer, the anime-esque, revolting dinner style would work. I really hope Sakurai and co. do infact use this opportunity to explore a bunch of different stylistic mediums with these trailers.

If not, she'll get an HD trailer, and it'll still be hype as ****.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Anime trailer huh? I like that but I would also want to see Palutena being revealed with a CGI trailer.
While I think the anime trailer is more original watching her model in an HD cutscene is priceless.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I was thinking along the lines of a Rosalina-like trailer, except on a higher scale and a different area. Pit battles multiple opponents, is getting weaker, Palutena appears with some light attack pelting enemies. She then hits Pit playfully, and starts her awesome moment.

Considering Little Mac's trailer has shown his FS a bit (him looking a bit bulky at the part where Pika ran away), and voices, I'm convinced that they'll show her FS too with some voices. It's just when she'll appear that's the question. And that's the non-detailed version of my idea.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I'd actually just really love to see a trailer in the vein of the movies in Kid Icarus Uprising. Lots of talking and action, etc.

I also really hope that unlike with Mac, they do like Rosalina and make it completely out of left field, because then that surprise will probably floor me. The only bit anticlimactic about the Mac reveal is that from the second we see the silhouette we already knew it was Little Mac for Smash.
But hey, maybe that's because Sakurai realizes how many people pretty much knew he was a given.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
It'd be hard unless they remind the flaming Smash symbol. To imply that if we saw Pit fighting underworld enemies, some of us would think it could be a new Kid Icarus game, but if we see him with the other Smash Characters in a KI-world, we most likely will know it's her. However, maybe in the future we'll see something amazing.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah it kinda bothers me how they do that thing with the flaming symbol in every trailer. I'd rather they take it out, makes it more suspenseful.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Huh, hadn't thought that about Wii Fit Trainer. Perhaps they genuinely just forgot.
Although arguably Mega Man doesn't have it either, although for him the "Challenger Approaching" warning siren is enough.

Makes me wonder if new third parties will have that siren instead of the flaming logo.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Mega Man's trailer was shown directly on top of the reveal trailer in the E3 Direct. I actually consider the two trailers as one, because of that. It was more a case of making you think the trailer was over after the "2014" logo was shown, rather than making you think it wasn't Smash related.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
We can hope for the best. I can feel Palutena's presence coming soon. Or maybe I'm just in that phase again.

Top Bottom