• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
Ok I'm swearing off online anymore unless it is friendlies. There are just too many times where the lag is just minute enough to screw things over, or at worst render me unable to do anything and make me get hit by attacks I shouldn't. Tonight there were times where I would try and do a quick dash away and instead stood still and took marth fsmashes. Other times rather than grab after a roll or tech I would jab, and I swear it seems like my double jump disappeared a few times. I deduced it must be the slow pace that makes me forget I double jumped or rather than jumping like I thought I did the game makes me run off the ledge then jump and use up my second jump. Either way I am convinced I cannot learn or gain anything in an environment where my moves are constantly thrown off slightly or misread on a character that can't afford to miss moves, even if it is the easiest way to get other human players to play against..
Well this isn't entirely true, but the way lag works for smash 4 does not benefit, most of the time it feels right till the moment you do a move and you can just feel the lag, if you could feel the lag before attacking you can account for it and I found it does actually help you improve, though maybe not as much as lagless. I personally got good at a few fighting games playing in laggy conditions so it's definitely not impossible but I understand your sentiments, I swore off playing online a while ago as well.

faderpotater

Smash Apprentice
Well this isn't entirely true, but the way lag works for smash 4 does not benefit, most of the time it feels right till the moment you do a move and you can just feel the lag, if you could feel the lag before attacking you can account for it and I found it does actually help you improve, though maybe not as much as lagless. I personally got good at a few fighting games playing in laggy conditions so it's definitely not impossible but I understand your sentiments, I swore off playing online a while ago as well.
Weird it showed me death arcana's post before yours then yours suddenly appeared above his when I loaded.

I was probably a mix of bugged and tired yesterday it was just really infuriating watching someone walk up to me and do a side smash and it actually hit me.

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
So has anyone noticed one of Palutena's colors are different on each version? I believe it's the 4th palette, it looks purple on the Wii u, and white-blue on 3ds. (Or so it seems) Found that kinda weird.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I surely missed a lot, and congrats to @AeroLink_the_SoulMaster For the Palutena mod promotion!

But now what's the next plan for us? At least this year so far is okay, better than 2014 that's for sure.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Push for the legalization of custom moves?
It would be a blessing if our customs were legal. Speedy Pally sets, Power Pally sets, and deadly Fireworks. We'd be so powerful with it.
I'm also curious why you're around the Pally boards a lot. It seems interesting to me.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
It would be a blessing if our customs were legal. Speedy Pally sets, Power Pally sets, and deadly Fireworks. We'd be so powerful with it.
I'm also curious why you're around the Pally boards a lot. It seems interesting to me.
...Because I play her? I just can't fit 3 characters into my profile. I post quite often on the Pac-Man and Charizard boards too. I'm mega_snack on Skype. :v
I also posted this earlier in the Skype group: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxVizcrPNYs

Last edited:

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
Went to a meetup today and played mostly Palutena with some good ol Toon link on the side. Did great with both characters, also got some help from M on smashboards, he doesn't post often but he's really good with custom Palutena, we're still allowing customs in our tournaments here for the time being so it's always great to know.

Next week is a tournament and I'm feeling way more confident with my Palutena then last time! There's so many Ness and cpt falcon players over here so I gotta learn those match up's, any predominant characters in anyone else's local scenes? Diddy and Shiek aside.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
Besides Sheik, I know quite a few Captain Falcon players... it's a pretty scary matchup, but nowhere near as bad as Fox. I've been practicing it with default Palutena, and it seems that playing defensively is pretty much the only way to do it. Some things to watch out for:
  • Dash grab is quick and will slide him far. I usually SH backwards and either fair or bair (depending on where I'm facing).
  • CF's recovery leaves him vulnerable from above and behind. Dair isn't Palutena's best move, but this is a good chance as any to use it. I haven't tried using the Reflector Wall yet, but most of the people I play against recover low, so it doesn't see much use. I always go deep unless I think he's going to Raptor Boost (side B).
  • Have Counter in mind when he goes for unsafe Raptor Boosts or other strong attacks.
  • I wouldn't suggest using AR (or EF) much unless he's in the air.
  • His F-smash has a very deceptive range - but so does Palutena's.
  • Uair could easily juggle and rack up %s - Warp to get out.
I can't really think of anything else. Aerolink would probably know the Ness matchup better.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
...Because I play her? I just can't fit 3 characters into my profile. I post quite often on the Pac-Man and Charizard boards too. I'm mega_snack on Skype. :v
I also posted this earlier in the Skype group: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxVizcrPNYs
My memory isn't so great these days, so it's my apology of mine.
I still hate Falcon and speed characters in a way. Palutena has so much trouble with em. On the other hand, I'm looking to aim and think of which characters are more affected against a pursuing FF N-air wall as a gimp attempt. I'm sure it can prove useful against poor recoveries.

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
The best player over here is a Ness main, he's won the last few tournaments outright. It's a match up I'm familiar with fortunately.

- Reflect PK fire
- Win

Seriously though:

- It's a matchup where reflect is better than super speed, Ness can easily stop super speed but using reflect you can easily use one of his best moves against him
- though it's not great you can reflect PK thunder, doubt it will ever hit them though
- Palutena generally has better range than Ness, jabs work great and safely and aerials will almost always beat a grounded Ness.

I don't really pay attention to how I deal with stuff while playing but I gotta start taking more note of it for use in match up discussion and for my own general improvements.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Man, when I said I wanted to main Palutena as a secondary, I didn't think she would be that close to my primary. I'm also started to notice that I'm less predictable as I was in the 3DS days. Things can only go up from here. My secondary main "purifies" the meta game, while my primary "burns" it.

Last edited:

Lopopka

The Wizards Assistant
Went to a meetup today and played mostly Palutena with some good ol Toon link on the side. Did great with both characters, also got some help from M on smashboards, he doesn't post often but he's really good with custom Palutena, we're still allowing customs in our tournaments here for the time being so it's always great to know.

Next week is a tournament and I'm feeling way more confident with my Palutena then last time! There's so many Ness and cpt falcon players over here so I gotta learn those match up's, any predominant characters in anyone else's local scenes? Diddy and Shiek aside.
In my local scene everyones a little mac i swear(like 40%), and theirs a couples falcons and sonic players haha

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
I don't think I've seen anyone actually try to play Little Mac competitively here, there's 2 palutena players including myself but it's like 50% captain falcon players, I'm pretty sure we had a pool that was just captain falcon players.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Actually, Little Mac isn't that bad to fight against. In fact, he actually pretty easy, expecially with Palutena. I find myself 2 stocking Little Mac players in less then a minute with Palutena, on average. Once they get knocked off the stage, I just reflect them when they try to recover. It's that easy.

As far as captain falcon is concerned, I just bait out his attacks. I haven't really had a serious problem with him.

And as for Sanic, just about 70% of all Sanic players I meant online use spin dash, spin dash, spin dash. In that case, I hit them with a dash attack, or Bair if I need to play safe.

With all the problems with these characters specifically aside, I just fight them as regular Smash players.

Lopopka

The Wizards Assistant
I don't think I've seen anyone actually try to play Little Mac competitively here, there's 2 palutena players including myself but it's like 50% captain falcon players, I'm pretty sure we had a pool that was just captain falcon players.
lol, i dont mind fighting either mac or falcon but im just like why xD

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I used Palutena for two of my matchups in the world wide tournament yesterday. My Pikachu couldn't beat R.O.B. or Rosalina so I used her. I 2-stocked the R.O.B. but got demolished by Rosalina.

I also 2-stocked a Palutena with my Pikachu, mainly because I knew most of the tricks he was trying to use.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Alright, I'm a Duck Hunt main, looking for a secondary, someone suggested Palutena cause one of my trouble matchups is Shiek. Is this a wise path? As a note, I don't really use Custom movesets.
Late response, but I'd say :4pacman: is a better counter to Sheik than Palutena if that's what you're seeking. Trampolines and Hydrants create hell for her to try and approach you, and Bonus Fruit eats up her needles. And even though she can rack up damage rather nicely, Sheik also has a hard time scoring KOs too, and Pac-Man's exceptional recovery makes it even more frustrating for her to get the kill.

F.u.j.i.n Age: Inquistion

Banned via Warnings
I got wrekd by a lil mac in tourny like 2 weeks ago if that counts.

I wouldnt call a good one easy.

But then again everyone on this board bar like 3 people seem to only play 4 glory and base everything they say off of that.

Last edited:

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
I've demolished a few players with Little Mac myself, but they're either not as good as me or are complaining about my stupid way of approaching by fsmashing till I get in front of them.

I had my first Palutena ditto at a meet up the other day.... It didn't go well, so many shenanigans, they were better at Palutena then me and I lost pretty badly but it still took forever because neither of us really knew how to deal with our own character.

Lopopka

The Wizards Assistant
I've demolished a few players with Little Mac myself, but they're either not as good as me or are complaining about my stupid way of approaching by fsmashing till I get in front of them.

I had my first Palutena ditto at a meet up the other day.... It didn't go well, so many shenanigans, they were better at Palutena then me and I lost pretty badly but it still took forever because neither of us really knew how to deal with our own character.
i hate dittoos xD

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
If customs ever turn out to be legal, Lightweight is going to get banned.

Last edited:

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Lightweight Palutena dittos is like trying to swat a fly... with another fly.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Zelda boards must be bored as hell... can't even say hi like normal people.

If customs ever turn out to be legal, Lightweight is going to get banned.
Did I miss the part where Sonic got banned?

Oh right, that hasn't happened. I think it'll be okay.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Zelda boards must be bored as hell... can't even say hi like normal people.

Did I miss the part where Sonic got banned?

Oh right, that hasn't happened. I think it'll be okay.
Light weight is like. If you get a grab at 40% they're dead.

I don't see the comparison at all.

anyway.

It might not get banned. But it certainly is a little broken.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
GOtta read through this thread to see what's been talked about lately.

I found something rather strange with AR just now. I was playing online against a Ganon and we were both in the air. I did AR on him, and the shots went in three directions, one went above and one went below the reticle. I've tried doing it in training mode and I can't seem to pull it off consistently. Does anyone know the mechanic behind this?

That aside, I've picked her up again, and I'm enjoying her. You gotta use a lot of teleports and aerials in the neutral game.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm at work at the moment but I saw part of that match. I swear that the matches I have with my skype friends are more aggressive than that, but I'll watch the entirety once I get home.

EDIT: Having watched it, their neutral game was just flat out awful. They were tossing out attacks like nothing despite being nowhere near each other. They needed to slow down at least.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Played against a villager. His tree got reflected and pocketed twice.

he used it on me off stage while I was trying to n-air him.

I was unharmed because I n-aired.

And I laughed at the thought of n-air beating out a tree that had been reflected and pocketed twice.

Last edited:

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
So I recently started playing Palutena and I really like her. But there is one move of hers that bugs me, and it's a move I hear can be really good, and that's Warp. Almost 50% of the times I die is because of warp. When you finish a warp, she drops straight down almost as badly as Little Mac with very little movement left or right. So if I warp and start to drop, even if I'm close to the edge and hold the analog stick toward the edge, she won't make it. But what's especially annoying is when she just flat out warps in the wrong directions. I try warping diagonally up-left or up-right to the edge, but she just ends up warping left or right under the stage and dies. Or even worse, I try warping directly up, DIRECTLY UP, but she ends up off to the side and dies. I don't know how it happens. Is it the stage or the way the ledges are designed? It kind of discourages me from warping directly up if crap like that'll happen, but then my only other option for recovering low is going diagonal, but that screws me over a lot too. I feel like it's just a bad recovery, but I hear from guides that it might be her best B move...

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
Played against a villager. His tree got reflected and pocketed twice.

he used it on me off stage while I was trying to n-air him.

I was unharmed because I n-aired.

And I laughed at the thought of n-air beating out a tree that had been reflected and pocketed twice.
Please tell me you have a replay of this.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
lol these aren't competitive or anything but I was checking out smash on vine today and I don't really listen to trap but it's what the kids are doing so I tried it out.

And me and my 9 year old sister disrespecting

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So I recently started playing Palutena and I really like her. But there is one move of hers that bugs me, and it's a move I hear can be really good, and that's Warp. Almost 50% of the times I die is because of warp. When you finish a warp, she drops straight down almost as badly as Little Mac with very little movement left or right. So if I warp and start to drop, even if I'm close to the edge and hold the analog stick toward the edge, she won't make it. But what's especially annoying is when she just flat out warps in the wrong directions. I try warping diagonally up-left or up-right to the edge, but she just ends up warping left or right under the stage and dies. Or even worse, I try warping directly up, DIRECTLY UP, but she ends up off to the side and dies. I don't know how it happens. Is it the stage or the way the ledges are designed? It kind of discourages me from warping directly up if crap like that'll happen, but then my only other option for recovering low is going diagonal, but that screws me over a lot too. I feel like it's just a bad recovery, but I hear from guides that it might be her best B move...
Is this happening online?

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Hey guys. I really need PRO tips for Palutenas counter (down special)... especially on characters like Ganondorf. Could anyone tell me what could I do please???

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hey guys. I really need PRO tips for Palutenas counter (down special)... especially on characters like Ganondorf. Could anyone tell me what could I do please???
Save counter for reads. That's the basic advice for it. Shields are safer and don't leave you as open if nothing happens.

With someone like Ganondorf, focus on zoning them out and dodging.

Last edited:

lordgiratina7000

Smash Rookie
NNID
vaporeon6000
3DS FC
4983-4929-8196

Palutena is my main but I hate when this happens,it costs me the match sometimes,even. It also happens to me when using Zelda.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
I think the Warp shenanigan is caused by two things:

1- Aerial Warp will always travel the full distance if it doesn't sweet spot the ledge. Riding a wall or going on the ground will make you continue in another direction.
2- You can't sweet spot/autosnap the ledge early during Warp.

So try to keep some distance between you and the ledge when you use Warp, especially if you're either under the stage and/or sticking to it. I don't typically have problems if I do this. Of course, you can't always afford to delay or reposition yourself, so you really need to be on your toes.

Top Bottom