• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Not sure. Maybe it was with the craze at E3, as Pac-Man I don't think got a slew of pics either. I know that the characters shown in the direct in April got a ton of pics themselves. So I'm not sure what the deal is.
At least he had more stuff related to him than poor Palutena. D: As long as she gets something soon, because I crave more data and inspiration for our Goddess of Light (and Pit).

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Why go around representing the same mechanic Pit already does? even if different both characters would represent the exact same mechanic so no thank you, furthermore Palutena never use the weapons in KI canon, so don't try to bring Wolf claws, because that is not canon. Even if she mention them or claims to know them she never use them.

On the other hand Powers are more in character with her, after all the powers Pit use are Goddess' Powers, gifted to him by either Palutena or Viridi, so althought never shown directly in use by her, those are her powers, in japanise version and in the first KIU trailer they are even called MIRACLES, if the conection with her weren't clear enough.

Even through this has nothing to do with Smash Palutena is a goddess, why would she use the same sad weapons Pit use? (as refered by her in Dynthos Chapter, "he created all sacred weapons, even the sad ones you are using..." not so literal but she says something similar), clearly not fitting with her as a character, mechanic or movesetwise they could have go that route, but doing that doesn't make Palutena's depiction and status justice, she is funny yet elegant but she is still a god and gods are always depicted as powerful beings and people would claim Sakurai being cheap for recicling to much the same aspect from KIU.

She use some of her boss battle moves too very little is shown but we don't have enough tools to see if there are more or not, so they didn't forget about them, she still floats around and her UP SMASH is a clear reinterpretation of this move:

And FINALLY she already carry her own weapons HER STAFF and HER MIRROR SHIELD, Palutena's mirror is the name of the franchise in Japan after all, so not depicting her with it is beyond imagination.
The more characters can represent from their franchise the better Pit brings the weapons Palutena the powers, two mechanics instead of one.
WEAPONS ARE COOLER
(I can change my font size and color too. It doesn't make my points good or relevant :p)

Wolf claws don't have to be "canon". (and who's to say what is canon and what isn't as far as animations go) So many things in smash aren't canon I don't think that's a good excuse for her not to have wolf claws. That would've been a sick jab combo.

Nosferatu isn't fitting for Robin since in the game it was impossible for him to do. He still does it though.

No one is saying to take away the staff and shield. Having more weapons that Pit didnt use is a cool idea to me. It's all just a matter of opinion. If she somehow used the Palutena blade who's to argue that its wrong? Its named after her anyways. Even if it is a kind of balanced weapon with no special characteristics. (except for its above average charge shot)

Either way whats done is done and I was a little disappointed when I figured out that her main gimmick is her custom moves. The custom moves are all pretty unique except for a few of them. (counter, angelic missile etc.)

The explanation with the Powers/Weapons is pretty solid though. (even if I disagree... more weapons are cooler)

I think you took my one line statement about what I thought would be cooler a bit too personally/far...

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Cap'nChreest said:
Either way whats done is done and I was a little disappointed when I figured out that her main gimmick is her custom moves. The custom moves are all pretty unique

Y'know, I might say that the more interesting gimmick for Palutena is that she has a ton of offensive range - she's sort of a mage character like Zelda, except Zelda's moveset is more defensively-focused, whereas Palutena uses her incredible goddess range for offense. Her pillars of light, angel wings and large staff attacks all play a part in that I think.

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
WEAPONS ARE COOLER
Weapons are cooler? that is your opinion, you can think that if you want

Wolf claws don't have to be "canon". (and who's to say what is canon and what isn't as far as animations go) So many things in smash aren't canon I don't think that's a good excuse for her not to have wolf claws. That would've been a sick jab combo.

Nosferatu isn't fitting for Robin since in the game it was impossible for him to do. He still does it though.
Taking into account Palutena's revolting dinner don't even take place in Skyworld and before the video there is this little notice that say something on the lines not literal "this don't represent the content of settings of Kid Icarus Uprising" It´s safe to say it is not canon.

On the other hand I was talking about Kid Icarus canon, I said it clearly so I don't see why you bring the smash canon here. I said wolf claws aren't canon in Kid Icarus not Smash.

The thing here is that I never said characters can't use non canon powers, all I said was that Palutena is perfectly represented with powers, Kid Icarus has such a diversity of options why stick with only one?

No one is saying to take away the staff and shield. Having more weapons that Pit didnt use is a cool idea to me. It's all just a matter of opinion. If she somehow used the Palutena blade who's to argue that its wrong? Its named after her anyways. Even if it is a kind of balanced weapon with no special characteristics. (except for its above average charge shot)
Having more of the same weapons (even being different from Pit) is thematically speaking boring not every game have as much diversity in mechanics as Uprising, so why go the "easier" route and give Palutena more of the same?
It's out of character, gods are supposed to be powerful and with abilities beyond imagination, is Palutena with Pit's weapons a good representation of that? I don't think so.

The explanation with the Powers/Weapons is pretty solid though. (even if I disagree... more weapons are cooler)
Good at least you see my point

(I can change my font size and color too. It doesn't make my points good or relevant :p)
I think you took my one line statement about what I thought would be cooler a bit too personally/far...
If anything you misunderstood me and you are the one who take it personal nothing more, I have more things to think about to take your post "personal" with your statement you are saying I don't say anything relevant and then you go saying my explanation was really solid.

I change the fond color on parts I consider more important. Obviously we haven't crossed paths before, that is my style in other words

I just wanted to tell you weapons would have been an option, yet it's more of the same, KI has tons of mechanics so why stay with only one? As a goddess Palutena is way better represented using powers than her soldier Pit who obviously doesn't have god like abilities, people wouldn't know why Pit is the minion if both have the same tools.

You can keep your opinion, the fact is Sakurai did the right thing depicting Palutena as the goddess she is. He is telling people KIU is more than a little angel with weapons in hand

I like to explain thing clearly and no I don't take it personal, I am still wondering why you said that

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Weapons are cooler? that is your opinion, you can think that if you want

Taking into account Palutena's revolting dinner don't even take place in Skyworld and before the video there is this little notice that say something on the lines not literal "this don't represent the content of settings of Kid Icarus Uprising" It´s safe to say it is not canon.

On the other hand I was talking about Kid Icarus canon, I said it clearly so I don't see why you bring the smash canon here. I said wolf claws aren't canon in Kid Icarus not Smash.

The thing here is that I never said characters can't use non canon powers, all I said was that Palutena is perfectly represented with powers, Kid Icarus has such a diversity of options why stick with only one?

Having more of the same weapons (even being different from Pit) is thematically speaking boring not every game have as much diversity in mechanics as Uprising, so why go the "easier" route and give Palutena more of the same?
It's out of character, gods are supposed to be powerful and with abilities beyond imagination, is Palutena with Pit's weapons a good representation of that? I don't think so.

Good at least you see my point

If anything you misunderstood me and you are the one who take it personal nothing more, I have more things to think about to take your post "personal" with your statement you are saying I don't say anything relevant and then you go saying my explanation was really solid.

I change the fond color on parts I consider more important. Obviously we haven't crossed paths before, that is my style in other words

I just wanted to tell you weapons would have been an option, yet it's more of the same, KI has tons of mechanics so why stay with only one? As a goddess Palutena is way better represented using powers than her soldier Pit who obviously doesn't have god like abilities, people wouldn't know why Pit is the minion if both have the same tools.

You can keep your opinion, the fact is Sakurai did the right thing depicting Palutena as the goddess she is. He is telling people KIU is more than a little angel with weapons in hand

In other words I like to explain thing clearly and no I don't take it personal, I am still wondering why you said that
Some of the stuff that you said about her move set and staff and shield weren't very relevant to what I said about her using weapons from Kid Icarus. Like when you said her shield and staff should be taken away and countered that point when I never said that. Thats what was irrelevant. But the reasoning with representing two halves made sense.

The long post made it seem like you took it personally to me. Now I know that it wasn't hahaha :)

I guess Palutena uses a somewhat "unknown" weapon for her normal moves. That being her staff. Since it uses auto-reticle I guess it qualifies. But that isn't really important.

Y'know, I might say that the more interesting gimmick for Palutena is that she has a ton of offensive range - she's sort of a mage character like Zelda, except Zelda's moveset is more defensively-focused, whereas Palutena uses her incredible goddess range for offense. Her pillars of light, angel wings and large staff attacks all play a part in that I think.
Range characters make me sad... But I played Zelda quite a bit towards the end of Brawl Wi-fi. Apparently my Zelda is offensive haha. I punished rolls with up-smash and stuff like that. She's good if your playing against someone that doesn't know the match-up. (this has nothing to do with what you said just exposition I guess)

Palutena on the other hand looks very campy like a lot of the other newcomers. She just has a different gimmick with the custom moves. Yea she is definitely a range character. Those don't normally fare too well in Smash games. Her run is very slow as well. That doesn't really make it offensive to me. Hopefully Lightweight fixes this and doesn't weaken her power/knockback. She could have some really good combos with this move. It could be pretty broken honestly. Her normal attacks seem to have quite a bit of range to them as well as her specials. While Zelda's normals didn't have much distance.

So I guess you're right in that aspect of range. Kinda like Marth. But heavier and slower... ugh... But the specials are very ranged.

Auto-Reticle, Jump-glide/Warp, Reflect/Counter, and Lightweight seems to be the go-to custom moves from what I've seen. At least from a competitive/ 1v1 stand point. Or at least for my play style.

I wasn't too happy being a Diddy main when I play so offensively (camping with bananas is not fun haha). Melee Falco is perfect for my play-style. Hopefully Palutena has a close range offensive side. (though it doesn't look like it) But no matter how she plays she'll be my main character. She has been ever since before E3 a year ago.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I also wanted to see Wolf Claws on Pally in her moveset arsenal, but IMHO, the idea of her using powers is rather befitting to the character - heck, her power is... "miracles"? You know, japanese title for "Power of"-items.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Just wanted everyone to know that I have Palutena in Tomodachi Life. Space Dandy and her were getting friendly, but now Dandy is going out with Tsumugi Kotobuki. I wonder if she'll end up liking someone.
I have her in my game too. She recently married Gandalf.

Also, did anyone else here groan when Toph asked about Palutena and Robin during the 3DS tournament, and then JC (Nintendo Treehouse dude) talked about Robin but then forgot about Palutena?

PlTe

Smash Journeyman

Also, did anyone else here groan when Toph asked about Palutena and Robin during the 3DS tournament, and then JC (Nintendo Treehouse dude) talked about Robin but then forgot about Palutena?
I'm married to Palutena in my game. Get on my level.

jklol

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I saw a strange picture of Palutena while looking for Images of Chunky Kong on the Googlez.
It'd be best not to show it. ._.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349

I asked him over twitter if he'd give his thoughts on her : P let's see if I get a reply

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Well, they did remove the glitch that allowed same-sex marriage, so no chance of that.
I thought it was just never in the game in the first place

Also, apparently there's a playable smash demo in Japan tonight/today, and it seemed from the translations of Sakurai's twitter that it's a new build of the game since e3; hopefully we might see some Palutena gameplay!

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694

Also, apparently there's a playable smash demo in Japan tonight/today, and it seemed from the translations of Sakurai's twitter that it's a new build of the game since e3; hopefully we might see some Palutena gameplay!
Oh do tell, and show me where the new data is. Maybe someone will use Pit more often this time. I know Japan liked him in Brawl, so I hope the same happens again. Of course, we need Palutena, too. I must acquire more data on both of them.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053

Yesssss

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Ah sorry everyone, I think I had some false information :\ A more reliable translator translated Sakurai's tweet and it said something more like "Every demo in the world is the E3 demo", we still have to wait a bit longer :\

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
It would be nice if we were given a free demo. I generally don't have as much hype as I used to since there's been no Pit or Palutena info as of late, and waiting is difficult for me.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
"Well, her up A... smash attack is awesome cuz like, it shoots this big beam straight up. So she covers space really well above her so, you know, you really don't want to be up there! (Ha ha ha!) Yeah, we've uh, we've had a lot of fun playing as her."

There you go: the JC talking about Palutena experience. :troll:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I always thought it was a B-throw. Whatever it is, I'm hoping to find more tricks with her, and shall make her look. I know Japan will do her some good.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
At least it wasn't like Brawl, where they got that in mid January while we got it in early March, if my memory is right. ;-;
The only thing beneficial about them getting it early is that I can gather data before we play, giving me better chances to be a stronger player sooner. That's what I did with Brawl Pit when I was watching JP Pit vids, and I'm up to do this for Smash 4, with Pit and Palutena that is.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
See, but that's what I don't like.

I want to tread my own ground with Palutena. Japan finding out stuff earlier means we'll already have ideas of optimal moves, match-ups, combos, etc.
It's like you having this really awesome riddle in front of you but people give you the instructions when you want to figure it out yourself.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Japan won't figure her out in three weeks. Don't worry.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
See, but that's what I don't like.

I want to tread my own ground with Palutena. Japan finding out stuff earlier means we'll already have ideas of optimal moves, match-ups, combos, etc.
It's like you having this really awesome riddle in front of you but people give you the instructions when you want to figure it out yourself.
You could always just not come here until the game comes out. Once September comes, I'm leaving the site till October 3rd.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Yeeeaaa ... I can barely go a day without talking Smash, and everywhere online I talk about it. There's no way I'm skipping on the internet for three weeks.

Japan won't figure her out in three weeks. Don't worry.
You underestimate Smash fans. Within a day the people at the invitational had an idea of how to best use their characters.

Like, I'll probably go in hibernation for a day or two to figure out as much as possible to be competitively viable. With that in mind three weeks feels like a freaking long time.
And sure, the meta game keeps evolving over the years, but it's just sad seeing other people break ground while you just have to sit there and watch.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
The annoying thing is, is that Pokemon got a Worldwide release but Smash Bros doesn't. Its so stupid, especially since this should have less things to be translated, as Pokemon contains a bunch of text. Smash is a fighting game.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
You could just import a Japanese 3DS and download the game from the e-shop if you wanted to.
That's a lot of money to pay to get it three weeks early.

I also feel like the extra wait shouldn't be localization. We're talking about a very small amount of time, relative to the development cycle. I'm sure the game will be ready for the US at roughly the same time. This is probably more than anything a decision by some other higher ups when considering marketing or schedules or distribution, etc.

There probably IS a reason, still, doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
It really does suck. It's bad enough it's been delayed since it supposed to be released this Summer, but it better be worth the wait. Only thing that's safe is that Palutena's in, but it really is tough waiting.

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
Well I see this some days ago this has passed under the radar but here it is:

Palutena has her halo but she is neither using smash or specials, this doesn't look like a taunt either, any ideas?

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Well I see this some days ago this has passed under the radar but here it is:

Palutena has her halo but she is neither using smash or specials, this doesn't look like a taunt either, any ideas?
She looks so tiny compared to falcon...

Burigu

Smash Ace
It's the taunt when she taps the ground with her staff twice. her halo lights up for a split second.
Well since we don't have actual footage about the taunt at this distance, I wasn't sure it was the same, you might be right

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
She looks so tiny compared to falcon...
Or maybe that's how the close up is supposed to make you think since you are capable of moving the camera that the stage doesn't look completely straight. In this case, it's more of a \ look instead of straight.

Top Bottom