• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

andimidna

Smash Master
I love how competitive the Palutena fanbase is :shades:

Next time well just need to call in some back-up, the Army of Light is only so strong on its own. And when the entire Army doesn't even show up, the mission is failed. I never thought I'd see the day that Palutena gets ranked below Rosalina and Greninja (losing to Pac-Man and Villager wasn't all that surprising), but there will always be more chances as there are definitely more newcomers left. Soon enough, we may be rating her again because of a Shulk confirmation. Who knows? Should be soon enough, like a month.

THE BASH SISTERS WILL NOT GO DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT!
(aka I think actual gameplay will tip the scales back in her favor)

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
I know that thread is just a game to have fun, but I can help to notices how Palutena has gone from liked by everyone baring a very little minority, to being addressed as a bland, boring, lasser user.
So basically, she's the Bioshock Infinite of Smash Bros.

OK, seriously though; for my money (or hearts) I've seen a lot of people who have bought into the idea that she's only here because Sakurai made Uprising. People seem to view her as a spoiled rich girl who never pays attention in class because she knows her bank account will be overflowing for years to come.

But the argument that really gets my goat are the ones involving people's preconceived notions about what a Smash Bros. character needs to do in order to even be considered. Any character owned by Nintendo has a chance of making it in. Don't misunderstand, some characters definitely have a bigger chance than others, but there is no character in Nintendo's catalogue that has no chance whatsoever. And it baffles me that people don't realize this. I HATE seeing characters like Wii Fit Trainer and R.O.B treated like exceptions to some made up rule rather than proof that no rules exist.

All right, I got off track a bit, but this does tie back to Palutena. I see a lot of people claiming she doesn't "deserve" to be in Smash because apparently Imaginary Law #7 dictates that no side characters, no matter how important or relevant to the series, are allowed if they have been in less than four games. Let's never mind the fact that there are characters that have only been in ONE game here in Smash. And a certain one of the *unconvincingcoughNESSunconvincingcough* has been clamored over and demanded since the day this game was announced.

R_Trigger

Smash Cadet
Oh boy, it's been quite awhile since I've come here. Anyways, regarding the recent "hate" towards Palutena, my advice for you all is:

But, I'll be honest here though, as a supporter of Palutena, I wasn't that wow'd by her trailer. A problem I had with her trailer was that Sakurai used an idea almost everyone came up with. A lot of people suggested the whole "omg Pit gets attacked by some character(s), then bam, she saves him on the last minute". I was personally hoping for a bit more creative and original scenario. Also, it just wasn't as funny as I hoped, especially when Uprising's main focus was the humour. However, the biggest problem lies here: the animated segments didn't really draw that much attention on the goddess herself (i.e. Mac and Lucina/Robin's animated parts of their trailers actually focused on them). The trailer made more emphasis on the fight between Pit and Link, and then later the end with Dark Pit's cameo. Sakurai failed to make Palutena the focal point of her own freakin' trailer. In fact, Dark Pit's cameo appearance caused a bigger stir and commotion than Palutena herself.
So if her trailer actually focused on Palutena (you know, besides her butt) and used a more creative scenario and had more laughs, I think people would have been more hyped for her, cause her move set looks pretty promising. Regardless, I am happy with her inclusion, and I won't change that opinion (she gets at least a 99% satisfaction rating from me, not a 100 due to the issues I stated here), but I'm very disappointed that Sakurai didn't put as much effort and originality in her reveal as I hoped /endofcriticism

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
That's all pretty subjective though. Because for me the process was completely different.

- Palutena appears in the beginning, so overhype induced.
- But then there's this fight between Link and Pit so you're left wondering "omg, is it her? pleeaaaasse be her, come on come on!!" So while the fight was awesome I was just too intensely waiting for the confirmation
- Then she appears to save pit gracefully and the shift in music runs along with it until her tag appears. And everything she says completely nails the Palutena I expect. BTW, I do feel that the original japanese dialogue was handled better.
- And then you have gameplay showing her HD looks, some attacks, her speed and then every single special attack at her disposal in quick succession one after the other.
- Frankly, the Dark Pit thing didn't mean squat to me except "huh, i guess pittoo is in the game in some form."

So really, for me the whole trailer was hype hype hype, and whenever I rewatch it daily I get to enjoy awesome anime quality, great voice acting, and every awesome special move in HD.
OH, and to top it all, the awesome sequence of them showing every fighter and Palutena going "won't hold back on anyone"? SOOO AWESOME. That stuff still moves me.

So no, there's no objective "her trailer sucks." It's all a matter of opinion. To me her trailer and Lucina/Robin's are easily at the top, due to sheer beauty of the visuals, the epic as heck music, and the awesome montages showcasing great moves and awesome voice acting.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
TBH, I think her moveset was the disappointment for me, some of her special moves look like generic-copied moves from people, I think most people expect her moveset to be deep, and left themselves in a sigh.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
TBH, I think her moveset was the disappointment for me, some of her special moves look like generic-copied moves from people, I think most people expect her moveset to be deep, and left themselves in a sigh.
Generic copied moves? Who has moves like lightweight, celestial fireworks, jump glide (peaches is different, it's not a special), and the rest of them don't seem generic to me, and definitely not copied.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
The only special that seem almost similar to others is Warp being a damage-less, but faster Farore's Wind. I'm not counting Angelic Missile being similar Luigi's Side-B due to the potential disadvantage it may have if it misses. I'm going by potential Smash mechanic logic that the move may cause Palutena to tumble and fall if she misses, similar to Angelic Missile in Uprising (even though it still does that even if you hit someone).

But really, her moves are just fine. I'm sure they'll grow on many other individuals once we see them in gameplay footage, outside of her trailer of course.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I'm also sure the generic special moves (stuff like counter, warp and ... what else?) are probably customizable.

Seriously, show me any other character having anything close to what Heavenly Light is.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I feel like people wouldn't have this problem as much if they would've just showed 4 of her specials and focused on her regular moves. Her angel wing smash attacks, shield bash, staff spinning, and pillar of light are all unique moves that make her who she is.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I feel like people wouldn't have this problem as much if they would've just showed 4 of her specials and focused on her regular moves. Her angel wing smash attacks, shield bash, staff spinning, and pillar of light are all unique moves that make her who she is.
But in turn, we don't have to play the guessing game in terms of wondering what all her specials are, although the catch is that we still wonder what her default specials are. I'm still okay with it now that with creativity, I can imagine and think of what moves I want to run with Palutena. If the moves are appointed to the right special slot, then I'm golden after unlocking the customs.

andimidna

Smash Master
Yea, showing that Palutena has moves like Warp and Vointer probably hurt the opinion on how unique she turned out. But then again, we have a bunch of people complaining about how Sakurai was so biased that he gave Palutena 3x more special attacks. Of course some of them will be copied, just like the Mii Fighters, remember? We've already seen how this works. People just don't understand her situation and the only way to fix this is gameplay of the default Palutena. I guess there probably won't be another demo, so when the game comes out in Japan and videos flood YouTube, or later when we can finally play as her, everything will be back to normal. With Palutena near the top.
*sigh*
They'll see... They'll all see...

SolemnDIvide

Smash Rookie
So I can't say that I know too much about :4palutena: but I've gotta admit that I'm loving the fact that she made the cut into this game. From her looks to her personality she comes off as a bubbly and fun character. I've noticed she trolls Pit quite a lot and that just adds to how much I have come to like this goddess. Her vast array of moves showcased in the trailer definitely are making her out to be quite the versatile fighter and I can't wait to find out what her base move set is as well tinkering with what I can change in it. Definitely can't wait to get my hands on her. :cool:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Her model needs work. I was looking at her, and out of Marth, Lucina, and Palutena (All three characters I think need work) she looks the most unpolished. Bad hair and dead eyes is something all three suffer from, but Palutena's armor and just model in general is.. very unpolished.

Which is a shame because she's naturally so friendly and inviting looking

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I personally don't find any issue with her ... don't know why others do. I could use new glasses ...

That said, I do find it interesting how Zelda and Rosalina are much more stoic characters in general (while Palutena is cheerful and kinda weird), but they have much more cartoonish expressions so far. Maybe that's what people have in mind when they comment on the model?

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Her model needs work. I was looking at her, and out of Marth, Lucina, and Palutena (All three characters I think need work) she looks the most unpolished. Bad hair and dead eyes is something all three suffer from, but Palutena's armor and just model in general is.. very unpolished.

Which is a shame because she's naturally so friendly and inviting looking
Marth has always looked fine to me.
I thought Palutena needed to be polished up when she was first revealed but she looks perfect to me now (in the Robin/Lucina trailer and pictures).
I do think Lucina still needs to be polished up. And I'm 100% confident she will be, I have no worried about these beta models. People need to remember that the game coming out in September/October is the 3ds version. They still have till November to polish up the Wii U version.
image.jpg

This picture sort of shows what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
That pic's quite LesYay-fuel. (->'3'<-)

I'm still sure Palutena gets touched up with her expressions, but in general I find her really pretty and perhaps natural?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pretty sure Palutena was touched up just enough to be shown in her trailer. As I always say, "Game's not finalized yet, things are subject to change." In other words, I'm sure Palutena will look much better even though I like her already so far.

Beastmegs

Smash Cadet
NNID
Beastmegs
3DS FC
3325-1862-3482
she looks a bit off is probabaly becuse most of the footage and pictures we have of her are from the Wii-U version
the pictrues of palutena and alot of the newcommers look better on the 3DS version
since that one is more far into development the Wii-U models just need some polsihing and i'm sure the'll great

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I saw that. I know it isn't technically Palutena, but it's likely the creator may have Palutena in one of his animations if he's inspired with a great idea.
But keep in mind we shouldn't do too much of that so we don't get a repeat of what happened in the Palutena image thread.

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
Look at all these new Captain Falcon, Robin and Lucina images, and we didn't get anything to that extent for Palutena around the time she was revealed. How unfortunate...

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
Look at all these new Captain Falcon, Robin and Lucina images, and we didn't get anything to that extent for Palutena around the time she was revealed. How unfortunate...
I believe these photos are more for comic con.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
While true, it is noticeable how Palutena is still one of the newcomers with the least images about her. By far.

Like, within a week I'm sure Lucina, Captain Falcon, and Robin already have more about them.

I'm beginning to think it is possible Palutena wasn't even ready for reveal in terms of 3D model but they revealed her earlier for whatever reason. Perhaps the earlier leak making her a highly expected newcomer.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I was super excited when I saw Palutena revealed because she is what made Kid Icarus: Uprising so much fun for me. I hope a lot of her dialog is similar in Smash because that would be great. It seemed it was that way in the trailer especially towards Pit.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Pretty much. I wanted her to use more of the weapons from Kid Icarus.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Pretty much. I wanted her to use more of the weapons from Kid Icarus.
Why go around representing the same mechanic Pit already does? even if different both characters would represent the exact same mechanic so no thank you, furthermore Palutena never use the weapons in KI canon, so don't try to bring Wolf claws, because that is not canon. Even if she mention them or claims to know them she never use them.

On the other hand Powers are more in character with her, after all the powers Pit use are Goddess' Powers, gifted to him by either Palutena or Viridi, so althought never shown directly in use by her, those are her powers, in japanise version and in the first KIU trailer they are even called MIRACLES, if the conection with her weren't clear enough.

Even through this has nothing to do with Smash Palutena is a goddess, why would she use the same sad weapons Pit use? (as refered by her in Dynthos Chapter, "he created all sacred weapons, even the sad ones you are using..." not so literal but she says something similar), clearly not fitting with her as a character, mechanic or movesetwise they could have go that route, but doing that doesn't make Palutena's depiction and status justice, she is funny yet elegant but she is still a god and gods are always depicted as powerful beings and people would claim Sakurai being cheap for recicling to much the same aspect from KIU.

She use some of her boss battle moves too very little is shown but we don't have enough tools to see if there are more or not, so they didn't forget about them, she still floats around and her UP SMASH is a clear reinterpretation of this move:

And FINALLY she already carry her own weapons HER STAFF and HER MIRROR SHIELD, Palutena's mirror is the name of the franchise in Japan after all, so not depicting her with it is beyond imagination.
The more characters can represent from their franchise the better Pit brings the weapons Palutena the powers, two mechanics instead of one.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
And that's another point I liked here. Both KI characters don't need the same mechanic. Pit has the weapons, Palutena has the Powers that she probably created (I'm not sure on it yet). Short and simple, really, and with that unique mechanic comes the custom specials being unique, which I love, making her all the more better and versatile depending on which moves you choose for her.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
One of the new 90+ screenshots features Zelda, Palutena, and Lucina and Palutena looks great in it! Her face looks even better than when she was first announces. I'd go and find it to post it on here but I'm on vacation, so I don't have time to, sorry.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Was it one of those "Press release" snapshot bundles? I gotta find it then. D:
And that's great to hear! I knew Palutena would look much better in due time. I just want to see it for myself.

Found it.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Speaking of, does anyone mind if I remake that?

with stricter rules of what goes in it obviously.
We must be patient. I'm sure the old one will be patched up if we get even more Palutena pics, which I really am mad about the fact that we're lacking, even with just 1 of her out of like 90 snapshots shown today...

Burigu

Smash Ace
Speaking of, does anyone mind if I remake that?

with stricter rules of what goes in it obviously.
@Kikwi-Kiwi said something about unlocking the thread when some pics were released, I think you should ask him or her about it before doing anything

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
@ Admiral Pit Admiral Pit + @ Burigu Burigu yeah I getcha, there is definitely a lack of Palutena pics right now. Though, I would like an image thread that updates its first post to include all the images in the thread, that way we don't have to scroll through it

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Found it... http://smashboards.com/threads/supe...nshots-for-the-3ds-and-wii-u-versions.362232/

Unfortunately the majority of it is just Falcon, Lucina, or Robin... *eyetwitch* You can tell I'm not happy about it.
I don't mind. Since Lucina, Robin, and Palutena are the only newcomers I like. At all. Oh, thanks, by the way.

Oh and on the point about Palutena not having emotions; if you look at the 3DS picture on her page, she clearly has emotion (anger). I think it has to do with the fact the 3DS version is closer to being finished.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I don't mind. Since Lucina, Robin, and Palutena are the only newcomers I like. At all. Oh, thanks, by the way.
You're welcome...
The bad thing bout me being picky is that I'm sticking to Pit, Palutena, and a hint of Bowser, and we only get 1 pic of the first 2, with the former being with a character I despise. At the same time, they gave those new guys attention, but where's the love for Palutena snapshots? I'm starting to think either she's still in some development as indicated by her face being touched up and will appear another time, or maybe she's not getting much love than I thought. :(

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
You're welcome...
The bad thing bout me being picky is that I'm sticking to Pit, Palutena, and a hint of Bowser, and we only get 1 pic of the first 2, with the former being with a character I despise. At the same time, they gave those new guys attention, but where's the love for Palutena snapshots? I'm starting to think either she's still in some development as indicated by her face being touched up and will appear another time, or maybe she's not getting much love than I thought. :(
Not sure. Maybe it was with the craze at E3, as Pac-Man I don't think got a slew of pics either. I know that the characters shown in the direct in April got a ton of pics themselves. So I'm not sure what the deal is.

Top Bottom