• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Smash 4 Photos (Closed for its successor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warp Star Lover

Smash Cadet
Speaking of Mewtwo, any ideas on how they would use his base form and both of his mega evolutions if he was to make it in the game?
Use one mega form as the final smash in the Wii U version, and the other mega form as the final smash in the 3DS version.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
- Pikmin 3 = Olimar confirmed for Smash 4
- Year of Luigi (Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, New Super Luigi U, & Mario & Luigi Dream Team) = Luigi confirmed for Smash 4
- Wind Waker HD = Toon Link confirmed for Smash 4

Toon Link completely confirmed the pattern for me, with Peach being an outlier. We just have to get a new Pokémon character confirmed by the time Pokémon X & Y show up.

Also, since Nintendo is collaborating with Sega for 3 more Sonic games, Sonic will likely be reconfirmed when Sonic Lost World comes out. Smash 4 might even be the unrevealed 3rd game in that collab deal. At this point, it's going to be sheer madness if he doesn't show up, whether others want him to or not.

That probably won't happen. Because the Engineer Link is actually a different Toon Link from the one Smash lets you play as. Spirit Tracks takes place a century after Phantom Hourglass, so the ST stage has its own Toon Link while the playable one is from WW & PH.
I agree

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Doubtfully. We have seen all of his specials by now with the exception of his Side B, and a counter would be pretty awkward there.

Not sure what this animation is, though. Looks a little like his side smash being charged, but he looks too relaxed for that.

Morbi

Scavenger
Doubtfully. We have seen all of his specials by now with the exception of his Side B, and a counter would be pretty awkward there.

Not sure what this animation is, though. Looks a little like his side smash being charged, but he looks too relaxed for that.
It looks like he is about to start up his taunt. Haha.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The idea of "roster slots" is something that people need to get rid of, especially here on smashboards (it's gamefaqs logic). Not all characters are an equal amount of work to include, and it's development resources and not space on the character select screen that is the limiting factor to how big the roster will be. There's no way Toon Link can "take the spot of" a newcomer because no feasible newcomer would be easier to implement than Toon Link. Like I said before, Toon Link's art assets were probably largely ported over from WWHD, and mechanically a lot of TL's stuff could be imported from Twilight Link (though it's no longer a strictly TP design; should I call him Realistic Link?). In terms of balance work too, TL is a "known", and that makes him so much easier to work with. If we end up with a roster with a lot of characters like Toon Link, sure you could argue that dropping all of them for just one or two newcomers would have been an option, but it's not a one to one trade by any stretch of the imagination.

Similarly, saying that TL existing makes Realistic Link bad is silly. Realistic Link was already pretty slept on in Brawl; if he just had TL's recovery alone, he would have been upper mid quality. We already see in the initial trailers that Realistic Link can jump again, and we have further seen him hit a few times that looked like heavier hits than he tended to give out in Brawl. He already has the inherent advantage of a non-trivially larger range, and I've always felt like the general flow of Realistic Link's moveset is better suited to a more trap oriented gameplay style than Toon Link has so they could emphasize that (we'll have to see if the Gale Boomerang returns; that's really important!). There's no reason to believe that the Realistic Link is going to be bad from the start, and the addition of a faster and weaker variant shouldn't really suggest anything about quality either.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
We've known they have been showing off characters with games for a while now. So anything you've been telling people was something everyone already knew. Good job Captain Obvious.
And yet those people constantly denied it everytime I told them, but you didn't know that and automatically assumed I was talking about you and other people and tried to make yourself sound smart by being cynical, only to look ignorant.

Good job Captain Oblivious.

See? I can act cynical too. Doesn't get you a damn thing, does it? =D

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Well, given how people are saying Spirit Tracks Tink is different from playable Tink, it's fair to point out that:
I'm actually excited by your point because Ridley can be a stage hazard an a playable character, however unlikely that may be.
Pyrosphere Ridley is a clone.

Playable Ridley would be the real deal.

So Big Bird Ridley appearing in the background on that stage doesn't affect True Ridley's chances!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Link's plotting something..
Donkey Kong: What is this ball, and why is it lit up?

Toon Link: You might want to get rid of that bomb if you don't want to be caught in an explosion.

Donkey Kong: A bomb!? (throws the bomb at Link's direction)

This game just keeps getting worse.
In what way exactly? If it's because of Toon Link, that's a rather weak excuse.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Donkey Kong: What is this ball, and why is it lit up?

Toon Link: You might want to get rid of that bomb if you don't want to be caught in an explosion.

Donkey Kong: A bomb!? (throws the bomb at Link's direction)

In what way exactly? If it's because of Toon Link, that's a rather weak excuse.
We have a limited roster confirmed due to the 3DS, and /this/ is the direction it's going in.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
We have a limited roster confirmed due to the 3DS, and /this/ is the direction it's going in.
Not limited enough to make the roster smaller than Brawl's. The 3DS is so criminally underrated in what it can accomplish, it's incredible, it's quite the powerhouse compared to the DS.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Would be a much better game if Captain Falcon had been revealed, right? :rolleyes:

Seriously now, how can you say the game is getting worse, if you haven't even played it?
Captain Falcon is already a given since they're a vet.
But this just looks like brawl with different stages at this point, and less content too.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Captain Falcon is already a given since they're a vet.
But this just looks like brawl with different stages at this point, and less content too.
You still don't have enough information to make such claims.

There's barely any information about the game, other than confirmed characters and stages. Like Wariofan1 stated, you're underestimating the 3DS's capabilities.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
You still don't have enough information to make such claims.

There's barely any information about the game, other than confirmed characters and stages. Like Wariofan1 stated, you're underestimating the 3DS's capabilities.
I really hope that's true.
But it doesn't quell my concern.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I really hope that's true.
But it doesn't quell my concern.
It's okay to be concerned, but a 3DS cart can hold more data than there was on Brawl's disc, and it doesn't even need to care about stuff like Subspace Emissary, and if anything would limit the 3DS' roster it'd be not being able to hold enough data. So yeah, you can put that concern to rest.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
By this logic we should be getting a release date for this game already instead of just "slated for 2014" if this game were to just be "Brawl with just new bells and whistles". Brawl was pretty half-baked game and I bet if it was polished in the parts it sucked, it would have rocked socks out. And this time we won't have the leech that was Subspace Emissary which means this can not only be achieved, but so much more.

Also, we haven't seen ANYTHING aside from characters and the stages. Nothing. Else.
So why are we already judging this game just by two aspects of it?

On 3DS, just reminding you that the things Sakurai did with Uprising on single mere 3DS is enough to rival Brawl and Kirby Air Ride in means of replayability and unlockable content. Or even more. So yeah, I really believe you're underestimating what 3DS-version can do.

I wouldn't really feel so lowly about this game because Tink so far. Besides everyone received him well, including me.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
By this logic we should be getting a release date for this game already instead of just "slated for 2014" if this game were to just be "Brawl with just new bells and whistles". Brawl was pretty half-baked game and I bet if it was polished in the parts it sucked, it would have rocked socks out. And this time we won't have the leech that was Subspace Emissary which means this can not only be achieved, but so much more.

Also, we have seen ANYTHING aside from characters and the stages. Nothing. Else.
So why are we already judging this game just by two aspects of it?

On 3DS, just reminding you that the things Sakurai did with Uprising on single mere 3DS is enough to rival Brawl and Kirby Air Ride in means of replayability and unlockable content. Or even more. So yeah, I really believe you're underestimating what 3DS-version can do.

I wouldn't really feel so lowly about this game because Tink so far. Besides everyone received him well, including me.
There should be Kirby Air Ride Stage, specifically the Checkered Knights stage.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Link seems to be jealous of Toon Link and want's to end him. So he uses DK to give him a "gift".
D.K.: Hey, you dropped something.

Toon Link: *looks back at D.K.* Oh no........

Link: *hiding behind shield* This will end badly....

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
The thing that does bother me is that it looks like his movesets haven't changed judging from the few screens. Maybe later on Sakurai will unveil more about the changes brought to Toon Link, I'd hope. This also leads me to believe the game is indeed being rushed out the door to a point that they wouldn't have time to alter or change characters movesets- at least not incrementally.
Eh, I wouldn't worry too much about this.

Your point is valid in that the movesets of all returning characters look very similar to their Brawl counterparts (and like I said in my previous post, I expect Tink’s moveset to stay mostly the same). But I don’t believe that this will be a problem in the final form of the game for a couple reasons:

1. On the surface, character movesets have not changed dramatically in any Smash game. 64 to Melee probably had the largest changes (esp with the side specials introduction), but even still, characters from 64 have a large number of the same moves that they have in Brawl. Let’s limit this to the change from Melee to Brawl, for simplicity..
With very few exceptions (and the inclusion of Final Smashes), character movesets were identical between the two games, at least in character animations (which is all you’re seeing in pictures). The few changes that were made were mostly to distinguish clones from their Melee versions (small changes to Falco, T/Y Link, etc). “But they played completely differently!”, you might say… that brings me to my 2nd point.

2. Physics changes, whether over the entire game or on individual attacks, make ALL the difference in a moveset. Many characters in Brawl were significantly different than their Melee counterparts because of changes in range, speed, priority, knockback, and game gravity.
Take Fox for example. Between Melee and Brawl, most of his vertical juggles were removed, waveshine antics were gone, and most of his gameplay turned from overall offense-fest to a MUCH more sensitive punishment-style zoning. It’s also fairly easy to draw even more obvious comparisons with C Falcon and Ganon, etc… despite them having mostly the same movesets, graphically.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Today there seems to be a wave of pessimism on Miiverse. Apparently Toon Link's reveal is a sign of the roster being severelly slashed and most of the characters simply being ports from Brawl. I even had a conversation with a friend today who was concerned that "we are going to wait 6 years just to get the same game as Brawl." Honestly, why is everyone freaking out?

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Today there seems to be a wave of pessimism on Miiverse. Apparently Toon Link's reveal is a sign of the roster being severelly slashed and most of the characters simply being ports from Brawl. I even had a conversation with a friend today who was concerned that "we are going to wait 6 years just to get the same game as Brawl." Honestly, why is everyone freaking out?
tbh I would love to get some assist trophies playable, so if they are porting over characters from brawl to make it easy on themselves then I'm okay with this.

Obviously they are going to give them balanced moves before launch.... I assume people think TL's move set is final and that's why they are freaking out cuz of the clone thing, "waste of character slot" bs.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
People love to freak out about anything. While everyone is having a meltdown and bawing in tears on the internet because of Toon Link. I am here listening to awesome Wind Waker songs in celebration of my favourite Brawl character being back. :grin:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Seeing today's picture I couldn't help at think of 2:19 of this video

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well on a different topic. I hope we get to see a new stage next week, it kinda feels like it's been a little while since we have last seen a new stage.

I would like to see what that stage that Kirby was in was all about. Hopefully it's indeed a new Mario galaxy stage.

I would like to see some more Toon Link pics too over the course of next week. :)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Tired of all these people complaining about TLink being a clone again. I didn't expect his moveset to change much if at all. It'd be nice, but honestly it might alienate previous players if it changed TOO much, and Sakurai doesn't like to do that.

Lets just keep talking about TLink's sick ass model, because I can't get enough of that HD goodness.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Tired of all these people complaining about TLink being a clone again. I didn't expect his moveset to change much if at all. It'd be nice, but honestly it might alienate previous players if it changed TOO much, and Sakurai doesn't like to do that.

Lets just keep talking about TLink's sick *** model, because I can't get enough of that HD goodness.
Same here, like all I want to see on Toon Link are actually more additions on his already established moveset. Such as elemental arrows along with his regular arrows, the Hurricane Spin, Deku Leaf after the mid air spin attack etc. I don't really want to see any drastic changes on him just for the sake of it if I can be totally honest. :/

I love his new model too. :)

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I just remembered that people freaked out worse than this when Tink was revealed for Brawl... poor guy, he doesn't get any love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom