• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Smash 4 Photos (Closed for its successor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Has anyone else tried to look at the source code for any possible leaks of the remaining characters?

StupendousMike

Smash Ace

I like that Sakurai is differentiating between Mario and Luigi furthermore :grin:, but why did he make Luigi paddle his legs specifically?

Luigi's legs paddled in the air when he jumped in Super Mario Bros. 2. Since then, he's done in several games, like the Super Mario Advance titles, and for his triple jump in Super Mario Galaxy. It's a nice nod to the past.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Toon Link confirmed.

Nice surprise, screw the "character once a month" thing.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Toon Link! I really didn't think he'd be back, but I'm happy to see him make the cut. He really is a fun and interesting alternative to Twilight Link.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Even as part of a stage the kid made it in. Hyped for Toon Link (and hyped it wasn't a brain dead obvious vet this time)

Maybe another character could be part of a stage and a playable character then~

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Toon Link! I really didn't think he'd be back, but I'm happy to see him make the cut. He really is a fun and interesting alternative to Twilight Link.
Yeah, as a matter of fact he's the one character I was 90% sure would get cut. But nope, here he is. He isn't a unpopular character by any means, so even if I hate playing the little guy I'm glad to see many people's main get back into the fray. There's simply nothing worse than veteran cuts, and I'm glad the whole Toon Link issue can finally be laid to rest.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Toon Link confirmed.

Nice surprise, screw the "character once a month" thing.
It seriously freaked me out to see that the rule is broken. Should we now assume that we will get 2 a month from now on? Or even three?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It seriously freaked me out to see that the rule is broken. Should we now assume that we will get 2 a month from now on? Or even three?
Nah, unless there's games well past the 12th to promote I wouldn't expect it. I am however expecting both Pokémon Trainer AND Sonic next month now.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Just because one "pattern" is broken doesn't mean a new "pattern" will start. Chances are we'll get a character when promotion is desired from Nintendo, or incrementally from Sakurai at other times.

You patternists.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Nah, unless there's games well past the 12th to promote I wouldn't expect it. I am however expecting both Pokémon Trainer AND Sonic next month now.
Yeah, that is probably a safe bet. After that we will get a character from Super Mario 3D World (Toad? Unlikely) and a Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (Diddy and Dixie Tag Character?)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, that is probably a safe bet. After that we will get a character from Super Mario 3D World (Toad? Unlikely) and a Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (Diddy and Dixie Tag Character?)
I'm thinking Zelda for A Link Between Worlds in November, maybe a Mario newcomer for Super Mario 3D World (Toad or Bowser Jr? Take your pick) and Diddy alone for Tropical Freeze (I'm guessing a DK newcomer will be unlockable.)

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Yeah, trying to predict Sakurai is a fool's errand. I do think he gets a kick out of the way you try so keep at it I guess.

Here's what I'm thinking though. If Toon Link is back, who is not back? I mean, Toon Link was basically the top candidate on most of our lists to be cut, and here he is revealed early to boot. Combined with the way we've seen far more veterans and far fewer newcomers than we did in Brawl's info release cycle, we might take this as a hint that the cast will be relatively more veterans and fewer newcomers.

Then again, maybe Toon Link is just back because he's easy to put in. A large majority of the art assets could be directly imported from WWHD, and his various move mechanics are mostly already in the game thanks to his twilit self. He was well liked in Brawl too; from that perspective, he was a shoe-in all along and we may be looking at the calculation for who returns from the wrong angle.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
eeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... was hoping TLink would be cut for Majoras Mask Link/Masked Link with the transformation masks ...

Hes only getting in due to WW getting an HD Remake, making this add 'relevant' only from a marketing stand point. It makes sense, but still ... eeehhhhhhhhh ... not happy, but no reason to complain, as it wouldn't change anything.

D

Deleted member

I knew that they had to eventually show two characters in a month some time. I'm actually very confused to find out that character was Toon Link.

Sakurai... PLEASE make Toon Link much more different from Link...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, trying to predict Sakurai is a fool's errand. I do think he gets a kick out of the way you try so keep at it I guess.

Here's what I'm thinking though. If Toon Link is back, who is not back? I mean, Toon Link was basically the top candidate on most of our lists to be cut, and here he is revealed early to boot. Combined with the way we've seen far more veterans and far fewer newcomers than we did in Brawl's info release cycle, we might take this as a hint that the cast will be relatively more veterans and fewer newcomers.

Then again, maybe Toon Link is just back because he's easy to put in. A large majority of the art assets could be directly imported from WWHD, and his various move mechanics are mostly already in the game thanks to his twilit self. He was well liked in Brawl too; from that perspective, he was a shoe-in all along and we may be looking at the calculation for who returns from the wrong angle.
Most of the veterans aren't too hard to implement since they're using the Brawl engine as a basis, which means that they can simply copy/paste the data of the veterans so that they have a very good starting point. Of course they still need to readjust their numbers in order to find proper balance, need to make them playable in a new environment, and give them a whole new model and some new animations too, so it's still no easy task, but definitely not as hard as having to recreate all veterans from Melee to Brawl. There's a lot more veterans this time though.

Toon Link is secured now, and Lucario gained new relevance and reason to stay, so there goes my Top 2 cuts. Damn that Sakurai, you truly are right when you say that predicting him is a fool's errand, but hey, what else are we supposed to do?

I guess Wolf and Ike are the top contestors for being cut now or something?

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
TOON LINKS BACK BABY!!! HELLZ TO DE YA!!!
This took me so much by surprise I almost spit out my sandwich I was eating at the moment.:toonlink:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Toon Link was my main in Brawl, so I'm happy to see him back. I'll admit I had my doubts at first, though. But since Toon Link was so low priority in Brawl, I wonder how far the roster is actually completed.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Toon Link was my main in Brawl, so I'm happy to see him back. I'll admit I had my doubts at first, though. But since Toon Link was so low priority in Brawl, I wonder how far the roster is actually completed.
This. I wouldn't expect Toon Link to be of high priority, even if he was guaranteed, so it really makes me a bit pissy that characters like Meta Knight, Dedede, Captain Falcon, Ness, Wario etc are likely ready to be shown, but probably won't be for a long time.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Well, Toon Link's confirmation just threw the character-a-month deal straight out the window. This could mean that they're gearing up for a Nintendo Direct very soon (as some have speculated would happen in October) to show off more newcomers, and Toon Link was revealed ahead of time so that the Direct could proceed around the 12th window where a veteran has normally been revealed so far?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Just because one "pattern" is broken doesn't mean a new "pattern" will start. Chances are we'll get a character when promotion is desired from Nintendo, or incrementally from Sakurai at other times.

You patternists.
Yeah, Peach was revealed to honor the anniversary of Super Mario Bros., so Toon Link probably had to wait until The Wind Waker HD got released before he had his turn.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well, Toon Link's confirmation just threw the character-a-month deal straight out the window. This could mean that they're gearing up for a Nintendo Direct very soon (as some have speculated would happen in October) to show off more newcomers, and Toon Link was revealed ahead of time so that the Direct could proceed around the 12th window where a veteran has normally been revealed so far?
The 12th is a Saturday, so I doubt a Direct would happen then. Maybe the 11th or sometime earlier than that. They need to whip out a Direct before X & Y's release if it's in October, so can't be too long.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Once again Sakurai showing us why we might as well give up in terms of trying to predict him.

Anyways, I'm THRILLED TL is back! I thought he was a goner for sure.

SmashCentralOfficial

Voice of SmashCentralOfficial
Wow totally slipped my mind that Wind Walker HD comes out today. I had a feeling we would get a reveal today or tomorrow due to the past week or so being not-so-special.

As long as he gets Fire Arrows, I'm happy.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
The 12th is a Saturday, so I doubt a Direct would happen then. Maybe the 11th or sometime earlier than that. They need to whip out a Direct before X & Y's release if it's in October, so can't be too long.
That's why I mentioned the "12th window", as it is always within a day or two either way at max (so the scale could be seen as anywhere from the 9th to the 14th). To the second point, it would not surprise me at all that they have an X & Y Direct and reveal a Pokemon character for SM4SH at the end, not necessarily even having to have a SM4SH direct on its own (though that would be nice). The only question would then be: who gets revealed? Mewtwo? Pokemon Trainer (or any of the three seperate from him)? Jigglypuff? Lucario? A newcomer such as Genesect, Zoroark, Mewoth, or Victini? A new X & Y Pokemon such as Sylveon? Perhaps a veteran and a newcomer? The possibilities are not endless, but then again, there are many possibilities, and if Toon Link's confirmation is any indication, we cannot possibly hope to knoew for sure who Sakurai would choose to reveal.

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
I was definitely surprised to see Toon Link this morning. I guess everybody is also forgetting that this is a case similar to Tron Bonne in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 where she also appeared as part of the stage on Kattleok (?) Island.

But other than that, will this mean that Toon Link is also a starting character or will Sakurai just be revealing unlockables before release. If this is true. Maybe he and Luigi and are just exceptions due to advertising. I hardly believe that there's a pattern anymore. :p

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I noticed when the pictures were linked to in the Social thread on the same page that the Spirit Tracks Toon Link is of a noticeably lower quality than the actual Toon Link 3DS model. Which isn't at all surprising, but something to consider (I think).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There's so many great things about this update that I almost don't know where to begin:

1. The "one character a month" theory has been shattered and strongly suggests that October and November will have multiple reveals thanks to all the games coming out in those months.

2. The most doubted veteran next to Snake makes a comeback, beating the odds.

3. This shows that there was a reason why September was kind of stally update wise.

4. This gives me a lot of hope for Lucas because so many people insisted that Toon Link would be gone simply because he was a semi-clone.

I was kind of expecting the reveal today but I'm still very pleased nevertheless.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's why I mentioned the "12th window", as it is always within a day or two either way at max (so the scale could be seen as anywhere from the 9th to the 14th). To the second point, it would not surprise me at all that they have an X & Y Direct and reveal a Pokemon character for SM4SH at the end, not necessarily even having to have a SM4SH direct on its own (though that would be nice). The only question would then be: who gets revealed? Mewtwo? Pokemon Trainer (or any of the three seperate from him)? Jigglypuff? Lucario? A newcomer such as Genesect, Zoroark, Mewoth, or Victini? A new X & Y Pokemon such as Sylveon? Perhaps a veteran and a newcomer? The possibilities are not endless, but then again, there are many possibilities, and if Toon Link's confirmation is any indication, we cannot possibly hope to knoew for sure who Sakurai would choose to reveal.
I think October will be a general Direct, since there's Sonic Lost World coming up too, and A Link Between World and Super Mario 3D World in November, not to forget Tropical Freeze in December. A general October Direct would be able to clear out the rest of the year, which is pretty common for companies to do in the last quarter of the year. In that sense, we could get a newcomer trailer for anybody really. As for a Pokémon character, I'm definitely expecting Pokémon Trainer since the 1st Gen starters have such a big role in X & Y. Could also be Mewtwo to cause major hype, but I see Pokémon Trainer as being more important to advertise the new game.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I think October will be a general Direct, since there's Sonic Lost World coming up too, and A Link Between World and Super Mario 3D World in November, not to forget Tropical Freeze in December. A general October Direct would be able to clear out the rest of the year, which is pretty common for companies to do in the last quarter of the year. In that sense, we could get a newcomer trailer for anybody really. As for a Pokémon character, I'm definitely expecting Pokémon Trainer since the 1st Gen starters have such a big role in X & Y. Could also be Mewtwo to cause major hype, but I see Pokémon Trainer as being more important to advertise the new game.
I could see both happening, a veteran in Pokemon Trainer, and then a surprise "newcomer" (in terms of Brawl-SM4SH) reveal in Mewtwo. I wouldn't put it past them at all, though I'm not getting my hopes up.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Though I was not expecting him to be cut from the game entirely, it’s kind of surprising to see him this early on as Toon Link/Young Link was usually a secret character unlocked later on in the game. Which either means that his position as a secret character has changed or for promotional reasons their just throwing the whole secret character thing out the window. Either way I’m fine with this.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also, a few more great things about this update are that people will finally shut up about "Classic Link" replacing Toon Link and talking about how the Spirit Tracks stage deconfirmed him. Oh my god, these things annoyed me to no end.

-TAG-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuprSmashKing16
Wow Toon Link is back?

Seriously though that leaves two spots on the website empty now. The next character reveals are definitely linked to the upcoming games this holiday. Sonic reveal anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom