• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Smash 4 Photos (Closed for its successor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Yellow devil officially confirmed as stage hazard.
Competitive fans have filled their shoes with their tears.

I'm not a competitive player, but I do hope there is the option to turn stage hazards off. Not that I hate stage hazards either, it'd just be a nice touch.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Didnt Sakurai say they were seen in a gameplay trailer/demo/video earlier in the year? I seem to remember him saying that in the caption for the Ray Gun reveal.
"Here's the new edition of the Ray Gun. The Smash Bros. mark appears backward because it acts like a stamp. We design the Ray Gun carefully each time to ensure it doesn't look like a real gun."

He said nothing of the sort. We didn't see them until they were confirmed.

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
....Yellow Devil is clearly not confirmed as anything but existent in that stage. This could still very-well be a boss entrance from the back of the stage after a cut-scene when the two co-op players arrive on the stage. Or, it could be a stage hazard for that stage. Still no written confirmation, still up for debate, no case closed.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Considering that stage hazards enter the stage rather than just appearing out of thin air, while bosses are introduced through a cutscene or start on stage with you, I'd say the Yellow Devil is a stage hazard. No boss in Brawl entered from the background, they were just there directly after their cutscene.
Sakurai already confirmed there will be less cutscenes in Sm4sh.

This says nothing about being a stage hazard, merely his entrance.

If bosses entered from another portion of the stage, like the background, that would be an interesting thing see what they could do with that.

But if he is a hazard, that sucks.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Soooo why does that mean that applies to this game?

I didn't say it did - that's just how it's worked in the past. Could very well have changed, but personally I find it unlikely.

Also, I personally think that Boss Battles will take place on their own stage - it seems lazy to just reuse a stage and chuck a boss on it.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I'm not a competitive player, but I do hope there is the option to turn stage hazards off. Not that I hate stage hazards either, it'd just be a nice touch.
Sakurai said if he did that.... yada yada took a shot at PSASBR.... yada yada.

Its not gonna happen sadly. (even though I want to turn hazards off...)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Again, doesn't the return of Boss Battles like those in Brawl seem like something Sakurai would announce by now if the Yellow Devil was indeed a boss?

I suppose the Devil's role is still disputable, but it very likely, and most likely that he is a stage hazard.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He's a stage hazard.

It would shock me if it was anything else.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I really hope there's more to the stage than just the Yellow Devil. At least give us Wily in his UFO flying around in the background.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Okay, while I'm beginning to suspect stage hazard is right, it's true we still can't be completely sure. More importantly though, we need to get rid of the idea now that this means the stage should somehow be any less legal. We've already seen Kirby overlapping it; it probably has far smaller hitboxes than you might think. We've seen very lengthy gameplay on this stage without it appearing, and we now see it has a clear and obvious telegraph before it appears. Dealing with what the stage does, including summoning damaging hazards, is a valid skill in this game, and this stage is going to deserve a fair shot regardless of whether it has such hazards or not.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Okay, while I'm beginning to suspect stage hazard is right, it's true we still can't be completely sure. More importantly though, we need to get rid of the idea now that this means the stage should somehow be any less legal. We've already seen Kirby overlapping it; it probably has far smaller hitboxes than you might think. We've seen very lengthy gameplay on this stage without it appearing, and we now see it has a clear and obvious telegraph before it appears. Dealing with what the stage does, including summoning damaging hazards, is a valid skill in this game, and this stage is going to deserve a fair shot regardless of whether it has such hazards or not.
LOL this stage it's already out of the question. They won't even try it out in tourneys.

Alzi

Smash Master
stage hazard or not still will be playing on this stage and if I ever host a tournament will make the stage legal. The stage is just too good to be ignored.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
stage hazard or not still will be playing on this stage and if I ever host a tournament will make the stage legal. The stage is just too good to be ignored.
Obviously I don't care about stage hazards, I've even played in **** like Mario Bros. stage having fun, but this Wily's Castle seems so boring to me. Definitely one of the less inspiring stages revealed so far (along Wii Fit). Pilotwings, Pyrosphere and Mario Galaxy kick his ass so bad.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Yellow Devil, mentioned by name. Shown on screen in the stage's background. Described in complete detail to come flying in from the background after observing for a while. This is a stage hazard confirmation.

I'm still waiting for the Ridley-confirmed-for-stage-hazard crowd to give us something as concrete as this.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
On one hand I'm a bit bummed out that such a good looking stage isn't going to be competitive. But on another hand, I can only imagine how chaotic (thus fun) it'll be in a 4 player free for all having to dodge Yellow Devil.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
On one hand I'm a bit bummed out that such a good looking stage isn't going to be competitive. But on another hand, I can only imagine how chaotic (thus fun) it'll be in a 4 player free for all having to dodge Yellow Devil.
I'm still convinced it's going to be annoying as taking a crap in front of a crowd.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I suppose some stages that aren't legal are great to play, though I forgot which ones I liked. It's been a while since I really played the games.
Meanwhile, 3 more days...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm still convinced it's going to be annoying as taking a crap in front of a crowd.
It's going to be like playing Mega Man 1 while playing Smash Bros with your friends, I can't see how it won't be fun in a free for all match. Those kind of matches have never been about winning fair, but have always been about sheer chaos and fun, at least to me. That's why I like stages like Halberd and Spear Pillar too.

Of course it's going to suck ass in a 1v1 fight, but the majority of stages in all Smash Bros games does that anyways.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
It's going to be like playing Mega Man 1 while playing Smash Bros with your friends, I can't see how it won't be fun in a free for all match. Those kind of matches have never been about winning fair, but have always been about sheer chaos and fun, at least to me. That's why I like stages like Halberd and Spear Pillar too.

Of course it's going to suck *** in a 1v1 fight, but the majority of stages in all Smash Bros games does that anyways.
I don't know, usual stage hazards don't occupy 75% of the stage. The Yellow Devil simply is... too big /troll

Also I fear his attacks will last too long.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I don't know or care much of anything about competitive Smash, and from what I do know this stage has already been banned, but the main reason I usually hear for stages being banned is randomness.
I don't know yet how he works in Smash, but in Megaman Yellow Devil is anything but random. Predictability is half of what he's famous for(the other half is being tear inducing hard). Cutman's weakness is super arm, Gutsman's weakness is hyper bomb, and Yellow Devil's weakness is memorization. The man has a schedule and he follows it to the letter every goddamn day. His wife left him because she felt there was nothing spontaneous in their love life. That is how determined yellow Devil is to the art of being predictable.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't know, usual stage hazards don't occupy 75% of the stage. The Yellow Devil simply is... too big /troll

Also I fear his attacks will last too long.
If he isn't as extreme as in Mega Man 1 I'll be dissapointed. Even then there's always the platforms that go outside the main platform.

We'll see how it pans out.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Damn shame this stage won't be used for competitive play... Like someone said earlier it'd be amazing if we had the option to toggle stage hazards off.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
LOL this stage it's already out of the question. They won't even try it out in tourneys.
There is no "they". We are the competitive community, and we decide what will and will not be used. We would be well advised to give this and every other stage a chance, and I as a part of this community am certainly going to be doing my part to make that happen. You too and everyone else here has such a choice as well.

Damn shame this stage won't be used for competitive play... Like someone said earlier it'd be amazing if we had the option to toggle stage hazards off.
We know that such an option does not exist, and honestly I'm grateful for that fact as it simply removes a point of debate on whether we should use it. We also have certainly not made that decision yet. Posts like this are exactly what get me all bothered; how could you possibly even begin to talk about banning a stage with incredibly vague mechanics in a game we don't even know a release date for?

---

Okay, let's be real about two things here when it comes to how we're judging stages going forward. I think a lot of people don't quite see all this, but it's one of the most important things we have to understand going into the new game.

Turning off so many stages hurt Brawl a lot. Top tier Ice Climbers and Olimar were an invention of modern stage lists; those characters were always held back by counter stages like Brinstar, and when those stages disappeared and they began to be assured top quality stages like Smashville instead of mediocre stages like Pokemon Stadium in game 1, they rocketed to the top. When you think about all that was wrong with Brawl's metagame, the malaise that was "never approach" was a big part of it, and can anyone think of two characters who promoted it more than these two? In general the balance was hurt a lot by removing stages; claims that MK benefitted from a large stage list were always contradicted by the evidence, and there was a very strong correlation throughout the game's entire lifespan between how liberal any given region's stage list was and how many mid and low tier mains could be found there. Even more, you might disagree with what I just said, but how can you really dispute it? I mean, I'm claiming here that half a decade of decision making produced exactly the opposite of the desired outcome, and I'm pretty sure no one has any sort of good, hard evidence that I'm wrong. Even if I actually am wrong, isn't it a problem that that's the case? Isn't the fact that everyone had their own ideas about what was a good idea with no basis in anything concrete why there was never a successful unity ruleset across all the regions for the entirety of Brawl's lifespan?

The only way we can be sure we are doing the best job possible and be sure to leave a good, solid trail of evidence to prove why our decisions were correct is to gather information first and make decisions second. Let's be real; we have no information at all about how Wily's Castle plays out. We know nothing of the general gameplay dynamics of this game other than that it's smash bros, we know only the vaguest of things about how this stage interacts, and we certainly don't know what effect its legality has on the metagame which would require us to understand the overall balance of the entire cast and all the other stages which is obviously impossible given that we don't even know what those things are yet. There's no way we can possibly come to any kind of objectively formulated ruleset, and certainly not a true unity ruleset, if we're already talking about banning stuff in this game. It's very important to understand that this stage and indeed all other game elements we see in these screenshots are still mostly unknowns to us, and when the game drops, we need to be very sure to give them all a chance and make fair, objective decisions on them once we are truly informed.

Sorry to get all super serious out of the blue, but I feel very strongly that getting this kind of thing right is by far the most important thing for us going into the new game. I already see the precursors of repeating the mistakes of the past, and honestly it scares me. When release is closer I'm going to be pushing a lot harder on stuff like this, but for now, I just don't want to see bad ideas like thinking anything we know now possibly suggests banning anything take hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom