• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Okay! It's been nice! See ya all tomorrow when the mysteries are solved! Good night!

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Well finally!

I am surprised they don't leave the info for the top screen and the buttons for the bottom, but I'm not a japanese video game designer rockstar.
It's most likely because the character selection screen is on the top. So naturally, when you choose your option, that's where your eyes are gonna stay while you wait for it to load.

It would be really odd and out of place if you chose "Smash" on the bottom screen, and the character selection screen loaded and it was on the bottom.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Says YOU

Barring the few games I have made by myself, I have spent more time on menus than ANY OTHER part of a game that requires actual programming. Everyone always makes them WRONG and UGLY, but they don't know because they think it doesn't matter, and then they wonder why we get the kinds of reports that we do. That's because menu design is so much more important than people realize and psychologically has an immense impact on the immediate moments of your experience.

Since Smash Bros has always had good menus, they don't seem important because they are always "just there". You won't notice a problem until it's there. Mr. Sakurai is like my IDOL because he has things in such sensible and intelligent places, and understands the very basics of how to use shapes and colours alike to create the optimal retinal comfort for the end user. Even to this day when I pop open Meteos I am in awe with the majesty that is it's near-impeccable user interface.

You just don't understand.:sadeyes:
Oh so that's why I seemed to surprisingly really care about UI.

Because it's actually very true that an UI did changed my perspective. Like I just love the SSBM one since it gave me the feel of being in control of everything, but brawl one was great too because of how it's appealing especially with the color choice.

This one is basically brawl, but the colors are even better.

I actually would say that I love UI with light colors (like cyan green over dark green) and it was just exactly like that in TTYD which had a design that just from the look made me want to use the UI (even the text).

So, yeah, UI is very important despite being aesthetic.

LightningVance

Smash Apprentice
they REALLY need to fix the Challenge section... it doesn't work in the english version with that long a word

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
Says YOU

Barring the few games I have made by myself, I have spent more time on menus than ANY OTHER part of a game that requires actual programming. Everyone always makes them WRONG and UGLY, but they don't know because they think it doesn't matter, and then they wonder why we get the kinds of reports that we do. That's because menu design is so much more important than people realize and psychologically has an immense impact on the immediate moments of your experience.

Since Smash Bros has always had good menus, they don't seem important because they are always "just there". You won't notice a problem until it's there. Mr. Sakurai is like my IDOL because he has things in such sensible and intelligent places, and understands the very basics of how to use shapes and colours alike to create the optimal retinal comfort for the end user. Even to this day when I pop open Meteos I am in awe with the majesty that is it's near-impeccable user interface.

You just don't understand.:sadeyes:
You mean Sakurai's wife ;)
It is here style, which is present in a lot of there projects. She is the other part of the two-person company Sora.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Today's picture is the 3DS version's menu... Surprising.

And it looks like Brawl and KIU, as expected from a game by Sakurai.

It does seem organized differently from Melee and Brawl. There's the lack of clear single player and multiplayer options.

I guess the Smash section ought to have the local multiplayer modes in addition to single player modes like Classic or Training. The "Games & more" section has me curious, but I guess it must have the trophies and mini-games shown on the E3 3DS trailer. Maybe modes like Home-Run Contest or Target Smash will be here as well. The options menu and sound test should be here as well.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Sakurai might use the same UI design for his menus as such, but at least they're dynamic and striking to move around without being tedious/boring. Better than most menus where you just scroll through a list.

• Single Player
  • Multiplayer
  • Options
  • Whatever.
  • Etc.
It's cool Sakurai likes to take concern over even the less important stuff. :)

Last edited:

rittzler

Smash Rookie
NNID
rittzler
about what i'd expect, still looks pretty neat tho.

also seeing the games & more option reminds me of that tin pin slammer lookin thing we saw at e3, completely forgot about that till now!
wonder what else is behind that little button....

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
am I the only one who thinks that when you click "games and more" a picture of Obama will appear?

No?

I just wanted to be different :(

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'm actually not a huge fan of this UI. It does indeed look a little messy, and way too similar to Brawl. I know it's just the menu but... it's the first thing you see after PRESS START and it's a little underwhelming to be honest. Smash Run doesn't deserve it's own spot either, it should be alongside Classic and All Star mode. Also, I don't like the text.

Just my opinion though, and I can't really comment until I see it on the 3DS because it really makes a HUGE difference.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
While the Wii U menu will likely have a similar feel to it, it'll definitely have some changes with the need to separate single player modes and local multiplayer.

I'm assuming Smash will have the 1-player modes (Classic, and Adventure/All Star if they're included and possibly Event Modes, Break the Targets, Home Run contest, etc). I'd also expect to find Training and a Vs Mode against computers. Local wireless multiplayer might also be put there.

Online will be the For Fun/For Glory, but it might just put the wireless connection there too.

Challenge will probably be the target board for unlockables.

Smash Run is, just Smash Run

Games and More would be the other possibly location for the Minigame style Smash events, and I assume it's also going to have the trophies, music/sound room, and settings.

Wii U is for whatever connectivity they have and Streetpass is for whatever Streetpass functionality there is (Do we know what this is yet?)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I woke up randomly last night to check on the update and I didn't come here afterwards because I figured people would be complaining about this. Surprisingly, most people seem to be perfectly okay with it. Smashboards, you surprise me sometimes. The expected character reveal didn't pan out but it's probably 2 1/2 weeks until the next Direct anyways so we probably won't have to wait long.

s07195

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4502 0980 9128
I just noticed that the Time and Battery is viewable on the bottom screen. That's cool.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I think they showed the main menu today because the tourney is probably going to have the menu screens and they wanted to show it officially before.

Nielicus

Smash Lord
I think they showed the main menu today because the tourney is probably going to have the menu screens and they wanted to show it officially before.
Makes sense but then again why not just not show it like last time? Either way I'm fine with whatever

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Uhh... so did Sakurai ever follow-up with a comment or something telling us to watch Comic-con? Cause...if he didn't then I really can't expect anything today :o

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
Uhh... so did Sakurai ever follow-up with a comment or something telling us to watch Comic-con? Cause...if he didn't then I really can't expect anything today :o
No comment on SDCC and I agree, probably no chance of anything today...

Hong

The Strongest
Was not likely to have been today, and most certainly not tomorrow.

If any character is announced, it will probably be towards the end of the event and then shown on the site the following Monday. Of course, the special surprise is likely to just be the Wii U release date or something largely inconsequential.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Just gonna post my thoughts on the potd because why not.
  • On the top screen, there are 2 things I'm interested in. The streetpass button, while it could have been expected, pretty much confirms it and makes me wonder how it works. As for the Wii U button, wasn't it mentioned at the roundtable that you can get the customizations you want in the 3ds version in preparation for the Wii U version's release? I guess that's how you do it
  • The only playable character shown in those images is Link. Extreme straw grasping, but that could hint at a possible Zelda newcomer. But probably not.
  • Interesting to note that Mets are on that Smash Run screen. Something tells me that Mega Man will be on the starting roster unlike Snake and Sonic were in Brawl.
  • While I get the how to play button on the Smash Run screen, what's with the powers button? Maybe you can learn about them there, or maybe equip them there?
  • Top screen looks very much like Brawl, and I love it.

Last edited:

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
Menu design looks dope, as always. Well done Mrs. Sakurai(assuming that the trend of Sakurai's wife making the menu's has continued).

Sonsa

Smash Champion
That's what he wants you to think.

-KeepHypeAlive
He wants me to think nothings ganna happen? So I might not tune in? To see his special surprise? Sorry, I'm not getting my hopes up again. The special surprises teased are probably some prizes for people at the event or something. After all that message was by some promoter on Facebook or something. But its okay! Cause watching a 3DS tournament is fun too. The game looks really good in motion! I was at a best-buy event and they handed me the 3DS version for 5 seconds before sending me to play Wii U version and I was Luigi in the training room and it looked very nice! So, even though it's the E3 build I hear, maybe I'll catch some stuff I haven't before. And mayyybe...since I'm already watching. I might see a special surprise...? #KeepHypeAlive (I dont wanna crush anyone else's hopes, sorry)

Lithium017

Smash Rookie
The menu on the 3DS version looks slick. I like how they will be animated and they are using the bottom screen in a cool way at least too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom