• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I still think it's a good change to the game. No more useless spam moves for Fox, Falco, Kirby, D3, MK, CF, Pit, etc. There's actually a lot of characters who are going to get changed by this.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Every a attack ends in a finisher now? That's actually a REALLY big deal. HUGE update.

So anyway, same time tomorrow guys?

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Wait, so does this mean that there are no more things like meta knight's a combo, or am I misunderstanding? (don't expect me to reply until morning)

Kirby finishing after Vulcan punch won't feel right. Maybe he'll get a tiny Smash Punch at the end ...Still though...it'll feel weird.

Last edited:

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
The update: A very interesting idea. I'll probably be thinkin' about how it'll effect competitive play all day. It sounds really intriguing to be honest.

The wait itself: AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEIUHGQIEHF19375HF19358RHF9QURWHFQIUWERH.

Good night everyone.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
This is actually awesome news. I'll take gameplay info over stage/veteran reveals any day.

I wonder how strong the finishing moves will be?

Croco

Smash Lord
You realize that Thursday for us is technically Friday for Japan, right? That's why we never get PotD's on Friday night.
Monday to Friday we get screenshots.
I'm eastern time and they happen around 3am to 4am monday to friday. There was not one image for friday. Last week on the 21st we received a pic and diddy was revealed. Though on monday the 17th we got 2.. so my theory doesnt hold up well.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Look at it this way guys... Any veteran with a jab combo is confirmed to have at least one new move now, which is awesome.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I never expected anything too exciting, but this is nice to know. Definitely not worth staying up for hours for, but nice to know.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
This means that A combos actually have a purpose! No longer will I be a sitting duck while spamming A!

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Hmm, this is actually a pretty good update. Rapid jabs by and large have been really bad in all previous smash games (a few specific ones, like Falco's in Brawl, are kinda the exceptions that prove the rule). The main reason is that they tend to be really unsafe to use even on hit; you don't have a good way to transition out of rapid jabbing to some safe and advantaged position. These finishing moves could very well offer that, and that's a huge boon to this style of move. Mr. Game & Watch in particular could be wildly improved here; his rapid jab was so awful in Brawl, but it sure would have been really useful if it were just safe to hit with since he desperately needed an option like it that could be thrown out quickly at that short range and jab1 -> nothing was not exactly what I had in mind (his jab1 was pretty good, but the rest of his moveset worked poorly with it).

In general I like this too since it shows a thoughtfulness of design. A large class of moves that have been bad previously are getting a thoughtful upgrade to fix their main issue. This is promising for the general design direction of this game whether you care for these moves or the characters that have them or not.

EDIT: As per how they work, it's pretty simple to imagine. You do rapid jabs in Brawl by holding A. I imagine the finisher just triggers when you let go (or stop mashing long enough) for the move to end. Instead of going into the ending lag, it goes into the finishing attack. Otherwise these rapid jabs wouldn't actually be rapid jabs but just multi-hit ordinary jab combo enders...

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'm eastern time and they happen around 3am to 4am monday to friday. There was not one image for friday. Last week on the 21st we received a pic and diddy was revealed. Though on monday the 17th we got 2.. so my theory doesnt hold up well.
Did you forget the throwaway Peach pic that happened on Thursday? Well, on the West Coast it was Thursday. Mac came out on Friday for me, Feb. 14th, which was a Friday. We didn't get a pic that night, but Sakurai said that Mac was the pic for that day, early.

Last edited:
So who does this effect?

Kirby
Meta-Knight
King Dedede
Fox
Falco
Link
Ivysaur
Shiek
Mr. Game & Watch
Mewtwo

Am I missing anyone?

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I wonder what Game & Watch will use for his new combo finisher.

Probably just a bigger blast of man juice bug spray, but it could be an entirely different item from another G&W game.

-----

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So who does this cover?

Kirby
Meta-Knight
King Dedede
Fox
Falco
Link
Ivysaur
Shiek
Mr. Game & Watch
Mewtwo
It also covers our newly revealed Little Mac, since it looks like he has a rapid jab that ends in an uppercut, as well as any other newcomers that might have them.
But I'm going to be severely disapointed when I can't spin like a marionette as Falco anymore.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I honestly can't wait to have an actual jab with Meta Knight. No more accidental "HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE!"

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Look at it this way guys... Any veteran with a jab combo is confirmed to have at least one new move now, which is awesome.
Diddy, Link(maybe), Toonlink(maybe), Pit, Kirby, Metaknight, Dedede, Fox, Falco, Captain Falcon, Pikachu?, Marth?, Game and Watch?, I think thats all... not too sure about Pikachu Marth and Game and Watch. I'm probably just thinking melee.Brawl could be different.

Edit: Ninja'd by The DJ

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
The Little Mac pic WAS Friday's.

The Nintendo Direct was Friday morning in Japan. It's why Sakurai referred to it just as "Pic of the Day" instead of it being "A REAL Pic of the Day".

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
In general I like this too since it shows a thoughtfulness of design. A large class of moves that have been bad previously are getting a thoughtful upgrade to fix their main issue. This is promising for the general design direction of this game whether you care for these moves or the characters that have them or not.
Agreed... The removal of tripping + the new ledge mechanics + the buffs certain characters seem to be receiving + tonight's update make it pretty clear that game design choices are all revolving around creating a much more dynamic/balanced product than Brawl. And that doesn't even include the fact that the game seems much more sped up and combo-friendly than Brawl as well.

The game is looking good... I'm excited!

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559

Yeah...

See sonic jump after that dash? No momentum...so lame.

Hopefully the game elements are being changed. I know I say Little Mac leap far with his side B, then again that was a special so I dunno.

Ugh...
Us Melee fans will just have to adapt, which kinda sucks since I'm starting to get really good at Melee too (finally placing well in tournies). :\

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043

Yeah...

See sonic jump after that dash? No momentum...so lame.

Hopefully the game elements are being changed. I know I say Little Mac leap far with his side B, then again that was a special so I dunno.

Ugh...
Check the Rosalina and Little Mac trailers. I'm pretty sure things have changed since then.

Aduross

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm pretty sure we got to see an example of this in the little Mac trailer:

It almost looks like Fox and DK are held in place during the rapid jab, I guess to set up for the finisher.

Us Melee fans will just have to adapt, which kinda sucks since I'm starting to get really good at Melee too (finally placing well in tournies). :\
It does suck, not only because smash, a fighting game with platforming mechanics, doesn't have a function that has existed in platformers since Mario Bros. It would be so much better if Sakurai just made character specific airspeed relative to their ground speed. It's so weird that a character like Wario can walk then jump super fast all over the place.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Pikachu too yeah? Isn't his jab just a repeated headbutt?
I think it's only referring to characters who had multi-hitting AAA attacks, as pointed out above (Fox, Falco, Mewtwo, Ivysaur, Captain Falcon, etc.). Pikachu's jab had to be mashed, but it didn't really suffer from the same problem as the light combo attacks.

Good update. Wasn't too fond of those old combo attacks, sometimes it felt like you were punished for using them since there was nothing to really string out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom