• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ike looks like he could break MArth in half but the irony is it'll almost certainly be the other way around on the tier list

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I think a lot of people really underestimate how similar Chrom is to Marth and Ike. People like to focus on the fact that he's a blue haired swordsmen but that's really just the tip of the iceberg so to speak. There's a lot of blue haired sword types in FE and there's a lot of variety between them, but Chrom specifically is basically Marth and Ike put into a blender. I legitimately think that was his character concept.

"So we're doing the big FE anniversary quasi-crossover game, this is a big deal. What should our protagonist be like?"

"Well, Marth is a really big deal. And Ike's a pretty big deal. Let's make them do the fusion dance and call it a day."

"Brilliant!"

I don't think any of that actually affects Chrom's chances being playable at all and he could easily still have a unique fighting style because let's be realistic here Sakurai could literally put three Marths on the roster and give them all unique movesets. But when people say Chrom is only like Marth and Ike in that he's a blue haired swordsman...I feel like they're missing the point.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I don't think any of that actually affects Chrom's chances being playable at all and he could easily still have a unique fighting style because let's be realistic here Sakurai could literally put three Marths on the roster and give them all unique movesets. But when people say Chrom is only like Marth and Ike in that he's a blue haired swordsman...I feel like they're missing the point.
The problem with Chrom is that, besides being aesthetically similar in many ways to Ike and Marth, any aspects that make him unique are lost in the translation from RPG to fighting game. If they can surmount that hurdle, well, all the more power to 'em, but that's a big hurdle.

Hong

The Strongest
The problem with Chrom is that, besides being aesthetically similar in many ways to Ike and Marth, any aspects that make him unique are lost in the translation from RPG to fighting game.
Even then, he doesn't have any.

Most of the lords from FE1-FE8, are of the archetype established by Marth. Lean, skillful and agile, but fragile and low in strength. They are much like the Myrmidon class, sans crit.
Ike started a new era of lord. While they were also well-rounded, they were much stronger and more durable, much like the Mercenary class. Chrom and Lucina took the formula Ike demonstrated in FE 9 and 10, Aether included, and made two variations (Chrom more true to the formula, Lucina a bit faster).

Chrom is not only similar to Ike in attributes, but fashion (Radiant Dawn Ike specifically), tendencies (obsession with leaving swords in the ground), and brutish demeanour. Personality wise, Chrom differs in being much more reckless, and of course suffering from meagre story exposition compared to Robin. Had they wanted to do pro[per skill animations in Awakening, I'm sure Chrom and Lucina would perform Aether in the same way: You can see Lucina with her own spin on the classic ability in one of the cutscenes.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Personally I don't think Chrom is aesthetically similar enough that it disqualifies him or anything dumb like that, but Sakurai might just decide to focus on a different aspect of FE than the typical sword wielding lord. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he figures the Avatar is main character and unique enough to be the Awakening rep that everybody is so damn sure we have to get.

Or of course, we could just not get a new FE character.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Personally I don't think Chrom is aesthetically similar enough that it disqualifies him or anything dumb like that, but Sakurai might just decide to focus on a different aspect of FE than the typical sword wielding lord. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he figures the Avatar is main character and unique enough to be the Awakening rep that everybody is so damn sure we have to get.

Or of course, we could just not get a new FE character.
At this juncture, Chrom's only saving grace is to be part of a duo assist character with another Fire Emblem character.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
At this juncture, Chrom's only saving grace is to be part of a duo assist character with another Fire Emblem character.
That would be a pretty cool way to work him and another in, but if we figure that Chrom isn't what, "unique" enough to be a standalone character, what would a character that is essentially half boring really add? At that point may as well just add whoever the partner character is if you ask me.

If Ike were born royalty, he would would basically look the same.:troll:
I guess what I mean is that I don't think Sakurai particular cares if the characters look similar so long as he wanted to make them play differently.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
That would be a pretty cool way to work him and another in, but if we figure that Chrom isn't what, "unique" enough to be a standalone character, what would a character that is essentially half boring really add? At that point may as well just add whoever the partner character is if you ask me.
Well, the way I saw it done was, say, it was a Robin/Chrom assist team, and Chrom is on the battlefield, albeit shadowed, like Diddy might be in Donkey Kong Country while playing as DK. He follows Robin around, who does most of the fighting. Now and then, Chrom assists by attacking in time with Robin, including during specials, though lacking the reliability and consistency of an Ice Climber. Chrom's chances to assist your attacks and specials increases the longer you stay alive 'til it gets to be 100%, and drops down to a baseline percentage coming back from a KO. You can still KO Chrom, and in doing so, Robin's stats actually decrease across the board.

This way, we:

1.) Get a Fire Emblem character that's not a blue-haired Lord.
2.) Chrom still participates, and is still vital to keep alive.
3.) It's a slight rehash of the Ice Climbers, but..
4.) .. it also symbolizes two major things prevalent in Fire Emblem:
4a.) Assists/synergy.
4b.) The playable tactician character.

Everyone wins.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I guess what I mean is that I don't think Sakurai particular cares if the characters look similar so long as he wanted to make them play differently.
Yeah, I feel you.

Jokes aside, I actually found Marth's design this time to be a subject of insight. He has a fresh design this time, with more practical cuts in attire, with a stark yellow highlighted on his surcoat to really make him look more like a true Altean warrior. Given that he does not have his classic design as it were, this leaves open the possibility of Lucina. Should she go with her design as seen in Awakening, she will actually have a sufficient level of visual contrast from Marth and Ike.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well I suspect 2-3 of the coming weeks updates will center on Ike. Here's hoping there's some actual news like:

"Ragnell can now unleash a powerful energy beam at opponents."

or

"Ike's overall speed has been adjusted."

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well I suspect 2-3 of the coming weeks updates will center on Ike. Here's hoping there's some actual news like:

"Ragnell can now unleash a powerful energy beam at opponents."

or

"Ike's overall speed has been adjusted."
Watch it be, "We payed extra attention to the hair of the Lords. If you look closely, Ike lathers, rinses but does not repeat."

Last edited:

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Well, the way I saw it done was, say, it was a Robin/Chrom assist team, and Chrom is on the battlefield, albeit shadowed, like Diddy might be in Donkey Kong Country while playing as DK. He follows Robin around, who does most of the fighting. Now and then, Chrom assists by attacking in time with Robin, including during specials, though lacking the reliability and consistency of an Ice Climber. Chrom's chances to assist your attacks and specials increases the longer you stay alive 'til it gets to be 100%, and drops down to a baseline percentage coming back from a KO. You can still KO Chrom, and in doing so, Robin's stats actually decrease across the board.

This way, we:

1.) Get a Fire Emblem character that's not a blue-haired Lord.
2.) Chrom still participates, and is still vital to keep alive.
3.) It's a slight rehash of the Ice Climbers, but..
4.) .. it also symbolizes two major things prevalent in Fire Emblem:
4a.) Assists/synergy.
4b.) The playable tactician character.

Everyone wins.
"Yes! M2K misread me and fell into my Utilt! If I keep this combno going I can get him into kill percents and knock him out!"
*Chrome randomly attacks, prematurely ending combo*
"Dammit Chrom!"
*Shuttle loop*
Announcer: "Game!"

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here be the problem, we don't know what's happening with the ice climbers yet.

ActionHankBeard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ActionHankBeard
I've never played the Fire Emblem games. What's the likelihood of FE villain in Smash? Are there any significant ones to speak of?

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I've never played the Fire Emblem games. What's the likelihood of FE villain in Smash? Are there any significant ones to speak of?
I'd say probably next to none. The protagonists are always the main feature of Fire Emblem, and are always wildly more popular than the antagonists are. There's really not any reoccurring villains, either.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Now off the top of my head... There's one important villain in FE:A, but even mentioning him would be a spoiler.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So tomorrow, what you looking for?

I hope for a little more info on Ike.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
now i dont know much about ike outside of whats in brawl but the two people i know who are more well veresed in fe have told me ike wasnt a faithful representation in brawl of what he was in his game can someone tell me more? or is that off topic

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
now i dont know much about ike outside of whats in brawl but the two people i know who are more well veresed in fe have told me ike wasnt a faithful representation in brawl of what he was in his game can someone tell me more? or is that off topic
Ike had very broken stats and growths in his game(s). He would generally always cap out speed, meaning he is seen as a speedy lord, so a "slow" Ike in Brawl isn't "accurate".
Ike's Ragnal also shot out lazer destructo-beams, which is not implemented in any way (well neither is it implemented for Link, so). Aether is an ability on Ragnal (and given as a proper ike ability in Radiant Dawn IIRC) that heals for the damage he deals based on his Skill as a %, or was "Sun Blade" on Black Knight and Lunar on Ike (lunar being negates all defenses).

No such thing as great aether. I never saw Ike kick or punch anyone (his jab), but that could be like that for any reason (maybe a nod to untransformed laguz attacks being a ****ty looking punch and kick).

Last edited:

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I still don't think the banners being taken up and down mean anything. Is anyone keeping track of this?

I'll start from today onwards.

April 8: Smash Direct, 5 banners up.
(15 day gap)
April 23: Smash Direct 5 banners down.
(30 day gap)
May 23: Ike announced, Ike banner up.
Awaiting next character reveal.
Updated this in case anyone cares.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
People talking about Ike (for obvious reasons) and here I am playing Radiant Dawn...again. Anyways, yeah Ike isn't exactly accurate although the speed bit could be argued against since level ups are based on percentages and Ike could very well end up being 'slow'. As for the beams, I wonder why they never implemented them. Maybe it could be considered cheap but there's a number of things they could have done. They could have made them weak or weakish, they could have made them short ranged or they could make them apply to only his usmash, fsmash and jabs third hit. The reason I say this is that in Radiant Dawn (not in Path of Radiance though) Ike always hits the ground with Ragnell to shoot the beams and those three moves have Ragnell hitting the ground. This also applies to any other sword user not on a mount (so not on a horse or pegasus) using a Wind Edge, Storm Sword, Tempest Blade or a weapon that if I named could be considered a potential spoiler (basically any other sword that shot beams).

Who knows, maybe tomorrows pic will mention that Ike has beams, that'd be nice...
And man I gotta stop typing out these novel length posts @.@

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Watch as we get a character reveal extravaganza and everyone but one is revealed before E3 to save room for Reggie's confirmation hour-long presentation. Hosted by Reggie.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Not really excited about tonight's PotD, possibly being something with Ike. It's good to see more of him, but the hype isn't there knowing he was just revealed.

Unless they reveal a veteran each day this week :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom