• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Colored outlines instead of color switches is a pretty cool feature. I've always wanted teams to not restrict the color selection. (I can now make a Link and Zelda vs. Dark Link and Ganondorf team match, and it's glorious.)

I think this will also be present on the Wii U version, given the wording on the Miiverse post.
Sakurai said:
In previous games in the series, if you chose the red team in a team battle, your Mario would have been red. But now you can choose any color you want!
I think the outlines will be mandatory for team battles, for obvious reasons. In case of the Wii U version, outlines (or something similar) will probably be added whenever playing on team battles. It wouldn't make sense to have this feature exclusive to the 3DS version.

Also, and I may be late on this, I want to add that Sakurai explicitly stated that only some characters would be mirrored.
Sakurai said:
The leg and arm positions of some characters will automatically be mirrored when facing left or right.
Not to mention that characters like Link, Samus or Pit don't have their poses mirrored, unlike Mario or Mega Man. It wouldn't make sense in the first place for those characters.

Last edited:

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Am I the only one who doesn't like this mirror thing. I'd rather watch the character's back/different angle than a mirrored copy. It takes me back to the sprite era; it seems like something outdated IMO, no games ever bothered to make different sprites based on positions, now that we finally have beautiful 3D models THEY TAKE THAT AWAY. It's a weird decision.

Last edited:

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Am I the only one who doesn't like this mirror thing. I'd rather watch the character's back/different angle than a mirrored copy. It takes me back to the sprite era; it seems like something outdated IMO, no games ever bothered to make different sprites based on positions, now that we finally have beautiful 3D models THEY TAKE THAT AWAY. It's a weird decision.
It's a focus away from the (relative) realism that Brawl had. Even the lighting and colors are more cartoonish. It's an aesthetic that all serves to help keep the fact it's primarily a party game at the front of the mind.

The mirror thing is kind-of moot, as nonsensical as it could be.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Hrm, we'll see what this is like. May have to ask people to use name tags for tournament play, especially when there is streaming and spectating involved.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
It's a focus away from the (relative) realism that Brawl had. Even the lighting and colors are more cartoonish. It's an aesthetic that all serves to help keep the fact it's primarily a party game at the front of the mind.

The mirror thing is kind-of moot, as nonsensical as it could be.
its all kind of pointless to discuss this its already been brought up link isnt mirrored

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
THIS is a great update.

I think it will happen too on the Wii U. I mean, in coop event, we had teams with differents colors (exemple, Zelda and Zero Suit Samus. Blue and Purple), and it wasn't confusing, right? In free for all, even if there's is differents colors, you still know who is who, right?

If something was confusing for players, it was a team of two Links for example. Just a white filter for player two... Sonic was confusing, too :troll:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Oh hey, colored outlines! I had this idea since SSB... Pink Luigi was not a favorite of mine. :p

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I've been wanting this femur for years. Now I can play against Samus and Pit as a team and they can keep their default colors.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Given how we're almost at the two week mark and how we're close to beating the old character drought record (the old one is 46 and we're currently sitting at 44), it really makes me wonder what the updates up until E3 will be like. The last month has mostly been things of mild interest with, in my opinion, Dillon as an AT and the Villager's ALTs being the only really buzzworthy updates. I'm also happy to see people are taking this drought a lot better than they did between Diddy and the Direct. It may be that all signs are pointing to E3 being a huge info dump that makes the Direct look like Luigi Nose but people are being surprisingly patient.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I hope that you can still turn off the outlines though :awesome:

If I know who's on my team then its no big deal to me whether we are matching. This isn't some romantic relationship. This is Smash bros. :awesome:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I hope that you can still turn off the outlines though :awesome:

If I know who's on my team then its no big deal to me whether we are matching. This isn't some romantic relationship. This is Smash bros. :awesome:
This has been confirmed for so long. But I wonder what does happen if you do turn them off. Do you have to go back to the color scheme? And what about the Wii-U version?

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
This has been confirmed for so long. But I wonder what does happen if you do turn them off. Do you have to go back to the color scheme? And what about the Wii-U version?
Yea I would imagine the Wii U version would keep the color scheme. Though I hope not. If they have outlines that would be cool. Outlines are kind of annoying though imo. I probably won't be using them much in the 3ds version.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Nearly, if not everyone has the same question about whether or not the Wii U will have this and if they can be turned off (mostly the first one from what I've seen) and of course Sakurai chose not to answer that question today. He could have made an extra comment to mention the Wii U but no, he'll either save it for another potd that could have been spent on filler or he'll let us discover it for ourselves which...would actually be kinda cool of him imo.

As for the whole mirroring thing, I already said before that I don't really care for it. I cared more for the palette swaps shown but I see a number of people saying that they don't like it. I'm guessing that they are either trying something new or maybe Namco has something to do with it. Heck if anybody actually knows. The only real negative aspect of it is not being able to see the back of certain characters for pictures. I do find it interesting that the caption said that it was tedious to do yet people are saying that it's like a cop out? How it takes less work than what the other Smash games did? For veterans, both sound rather easy. We already have 3 games to base back animations off of and only a few vets have been changed to the point where those old animations wouldn't help (namely Bowser and Yoshi). I can see the mirroring being easier work for the newcomers since they lack any pre-existing animations and a mirror of an already worked on animation is easier (or so I assume) than making a new back animation. Also I have no experience or knowledge of this kind of thing so if I'm just talking out of my *** then I apologize, I'm just guessing.

Also the filler comment was sarcasm...Don't shoot me '-'

tl;dr Sakurai will probably save the Wii U outlines questions for another time or not tell us and I'm guessing the mirroring is just something new they are trying.

Last edited:

spader13

Smash Journeyman
For me, the outlines probably won't matter much since usually when I play teams, there aren't repeat characters, so it's barely different than FFA. The only possible confusion could be when you have one version of character colored Red on Blue team versus the same character in Blue on the Red team, but that confusion would stem more from it being the reverse of past games.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I have the same questions as everyone else. I hope Sakurai reveals what it will be like on the Wii U and also when the outlines are turned off on the 3DS version. I'm surprised he didn't do so in a comment underneath, though.

I still like this change as I always wanted when playing on teams to pick my own palette swap.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I'm going to reserve judgement as to whether or not this is a good change until I've played a doubles match where the red team is using blue costumes (and vice versa) so I can see if I can actually keep track of my character or not.

Still, this change will at least make identifying oneself from one's teammate easier if you are both using the same character, so that's a point in its favor.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Uhh.... why??
I have no idea. Someone thought it was a good idea and everyone else followed suit. It might be to prevent crazy team combos. I know characters like Ness and Lucas benefit though. They can heal from their teammate with friendly fire on with their down b's.

Last edited:

Prototype

Smash Apprentice
Uhh.... why??
Requires more team coordination.

There are also other advantages such as making 2v1 combos more difficult, getting teammates out of a shield-break, Rest (in Jigglypuff's case) or helping them to recover, etc.

Ness/Lucas teams wouldn't be the same without Team Attack. ;)

--

I'm a fan of making teams more recognizable, but I don't think the outlines will work 100% of the time.

For example:

Red team: Red Mario, Blue Luigi
Blue team: Blue Mario, Red Luigi

That would be pretty confusing, imo. In most cases, players will still have to go with a palette other than their favourite in order to keep things clear.
I would have preferred more distinct palette swap or simply having a player icon above each character, but at the same time, I always wanted default colours for all characters in teams. I'll have to try it out before my final verdict!!

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
So does the mirror positioning disconfirm all characters without bilateral symmetry? :p
I made a post yesterday about which characters seem to be getting the treatment and which don't. It seems like characters who don't typically have a dominant hand or that stance doesn't matter are getting mirrored, but characters like Link, Samus, and others who primarily face to the side or hold their weapons in a specific hand are not getting the treatment. Sakurai wouldn't mess up Link's left-handedness like that. :p

Last edited:

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
Requires more team coordination.

There are also other advantages such as making 2v1 combos more difficult, getting teammates out of a shield-break, Rest (in Jigglypuff's case) or helping them to recover, etc.

Ness/Lucas teams wouldn't be the same without Team Attack. ;)
This right here. I couldn't imagine playing without FF on. Well, if a teammate happens to be a newcomer, I might want to turn it off -- they might walk into my Smashes or shoot projectiles at me by accident.
I made a post yesterday about which characters seem to be getting the treatment and which don't. It seems like characters who don't typically have a dominant hand or that stance doesn't matter are getting mirrored, but character like Link, Samus, and others who primarily face to the side or hold their weapons in a specific hand are not getting the treatment. Sakurai wouldn't mess up Link's left-handedness like that. :p
They're still working on it from what I've heard, so if you've seen a shot with a character not being mirrored, that might still change. Now, I'm not expecting Link to be mirrored, but still most of the characters.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
This right here. I couldn't imagine playing without FF on. Well, if a teammate happens to be a newcomer, I might want to turn it off -- they might walk into my Smashes or shoot projectiles at me by accident.

They're still working on it from what I've heard, so if you've seen a shot with a character not being mirrored, that might still change. Now, I'm not expecting Link to be mirrored, but still most of the characters.
I think they're only going to do it for characters that make sense. Mario's body, for example, is primarily facing toward the camera while he's in a neutral stance. If he's facing the other way, all you see is his back. With Bowser's new stance, he's much the same way, so they did this to prevent you from seeing that character's back or the back of their head for approximately half the match.

Only some characters are this way. Heck, if they didn't do it with Greninja, you'd barely be able to see his head when he was facing left, which would look weird. But most of the other characters have stances where their body is almost completely facing to the side, so in these situations, I don't think it's necessary for them to create a mirrored stance, since its impact will be almost unnoticeable.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
Another benefit of having freindly fire on is that you can rescue falling teammates. It makes for pretty intense situations.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I remember this feature to be present in TMNT: Smash Up!
At first I hated it, until I played the game and found out that you could choose betwen control via a slider, the color you wanted.

SSJ Golden aura FTW! (but I'm sure there's only going to be Red, Blue, and Green here)

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Friendly Fire rocks. I know this might be a weird thing to say, but it made the fight more realistic. You couldn't just go out there and cause havoc, you had to be careful and work together.

Makes it feel like more of a team battle.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I've got a good feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night.
Fixed.

Because I immediately thought of that song the moment I read your post. XD

Anywho, for some reason, I actually have a good feeling about tonight, too. I dunno why, it's really silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom