• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Well maybe there is a variant where he picks it up and walks a step or two before Smashing it. I don't know. I just feel as though the range was the overt detriment attributed to the move, so something with more range seems likely.
Bigger rock=bigger range.
Boulder Smash?

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Well maybe there is a variant where he picks it up and walks a step or two before Smashing it. I don't know. I just feel as though the range was the overt detriment attributed to the move, so something with more range seems likely.
Morbid, I was just saying that as a joke. XD

It would be pretty cool if he could throw it. That, or it does what the Brawl Minus version does and becomes Stealth Rock.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
Maybe he Mega Evolves by being damaged as much as he could possibly be; whatever enables him to have max aura. Or it is just his FS. Probably just his FS.
Yeah. It would be cool if Sakurai showed Mega Charizard X fighting Mega Lucario in today's pic.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Rock Smash was by far Charizard's best move in Brawl and was the most interesting move in his moveset gameplay wise so it's very, very good that's still in. Honestly Charizard's basic moveset isn't terribly impressive; in Brawl he has a pretty decent usmash, the godly Rock Smash, and then a whole lot of mediocrity (well, his dthrow is above average AND makes it look like he's peeing fire on them so it's pretty great too I guess).

As per Flare Blitz itself, I'm fairly optimistic. Right off that bat, it already looks like a nice supplement to Charizard's recovery so it won't be a worthless move for sure. The caption suggests it hits pretty hard, and as I recall from the trailer, the start-up wasn't that bad either. The recoil is probably trivial especially since it only triggers on "contact" so overall it's a power move that covers a huge area and mostly only does what's probably a small amount of damage to you when you actually connect (I wonder if it recoils when hitting a shield?). Charizard's fsmash in Brawl was really trashy too so if this is strong enough to replace it that would be really helpful.

This was a solid picture; we knew almost nothing about Charizard's changes before, and honestly while we still know less about him than about basically every other returning veteran, this has done a lot to help close the gap.

Last edited:

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
It's going to be really weird using down B for rock smash. I remember way back when Melee came out it took me forever to stop trying to use B for Link's boomerang.

Of course Charazrd is one of my very least favorite characters in the game and I only played him in Brawl because he was tethered to the two Pokémon that I actually liked to play so I probably will barely play him in the new games anyways.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Called it.

Rock Smash always seemed to be more of a Down B move anyway. Down B moves are always the weird ones.

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
I'm hoping Mega Charizard X is gonna be like Yoshi's final smash, except shooting fire blasts a few times then finishing off with blast burn that damages everyone close to him.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
How would they determine which gender gets infatuated? Jigglypuff can either be male or female.
Based on the way it sounds and the attire it wears in it's palette swaps I'd wager to say that Puff is female. Of course I could always be wrong as Puff has no gender differences and even with Pokemon like Pikachu there's no way of telling if the Smash version is male or female because Sakurai probably doesn't care enough to acknowledge the gender differences. Anyways, I was just throwing out random positive things from Pokemon that could be implemented =P Heck it could apply for any character period, maybe Puff is just that damn infatuating.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's going to be really weird using down B for rock smash. I remember way back when Melee came out it took me forever to stop trying to use B for Link's boomerang.
I constantly used Forward B to throw the Boomerang harder in 64, so... didn't affect me at all.

It hurt me more with Donkey Kong, as I often used Forward B for his Giant Punch.

N0ble1

Smash Rookie
Rock Smash was my favorite Charizard move in Brawl.

Also Charizard learns Rock Tomb and Rock Slide through TMs if that even matters.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Charizard X looks like it works like yoshi's FS, which is a bit underwhelming. If he just flies around and shoots fire it would make more sense to have the Y version instead.

Morbi

Scavenger
Charizard X looks like it works like yoshi's FS, which is a bit underwhelming. If he just flies around and shoots fire it would make more sense to have the Y version instead.
His X version is more prominent and popular. It also looks aesthetically diverse. So it was never going to be Mega Y.

Mewtwo will probably have the Mega Y version for the same reasons.

Last edited:

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
His X version is more prominent and popular. It also looks aesthetically diverse. So it was never going to be Mega Y.

Mewtwo will probably have the Mega Y version for the same reasons.
I know, but with Zard X physical attacks are his specialty and if he does what I think he will do, then clearly Sakurai dosnt know the difference between the two, unless it works like Lucario and that is his new version of Fly.

Morbi

Scavenger
I know, but with Zard X physical attacks are his specialty and if he does what I think he will do, then clearly Sakurai dosnt know the difference between the two, unless it works like Lucario and that is his new version of Fly.
It could always be like Wario-Man; basically Charizard on crack. I haven't really seen enough of his FS to determine what he is doing to be honest

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...Like he knew Ganondorf to do a punch and kick?(I realize the clone bit, but bare with me here).

I don't think he cares as much as you think he does. He just likes it. Or think it's good enough. He even admitted he only added Ganondorf because he could be a quick clone of Falcon. He never considered him outside of that.

Wasn't Charizard X specifically in Pokemon: Origins? That makes him the more notable one of the two, since it had more appearances. Also, dragon type, high popularity. He chooses Pokemon stuff based upon all the media officially, and who stands out the most.

If Mewtwo is in, I expect its Y form due the Movie having it. Whether it'll have a female voice is another story. And let's be fair, Mega Mewtwo Y is more feminine looking than the masculine one with X.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I thought it looked like Mega Charizard X was just jumping around in the direct and the picture...so I don't think it will work like Yoshi's FS. :/

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I constantly used Forward B to throw the Boomerang harder in 64, so... didn't affect me at all.

It hurt me more with Donkey Kong, as I often used Forward B for his Giant Punch.
I tried to alternate between boomerang throws in 64, it seemed to confuse people a bit, and sometimes the weaker throw is more useful.
Then Melee came out and when I tried using the weak throw and Link just dropped out a flaccid arrow. Very awkward.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I tried to alternate between boomerang throws in 64, it seemed to confuse people a bit, and sometimes the weaker throw is more useful.
Then Melee came out and when I tried using the weak throw and Link just dropped out a flaccid arrow. Very awkward.
It's why I never liked the Arrows. They kind of sucked. Young Link's are slightly better, but Toon Link's are meh. I would've preferred the Hammer, perhaps. Might actually be a good new move. Well, can't wait to see our customization choices(and it'll remove clone moves).

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
...Like he knew Ganondorf to do a punch and kick?(I realize the clone bit, but bare with me here).

I don't think he cares as much as you think he does. He just likes it. Or think it's good enough. He even admitted he only added Ganondorf because he could be a quick clone of Falcon. He never considered him outside of that.

Wasn't Charizard X specifically in Pokemon: Origins? That makes him the more notable one of the two, since it had more appearances. Also, dragon type, high popularity. He chooses Pokemon stuff based upon all the media officially, and who stands out the most.

If Mewtwo is in, I expect its Y form due the Movie having it. Whether it'll have a female voice is another story. And let's be fair, Mega Mewtwo Y is more feminine looking than the masculine one with X.
Im all for X being the main form, I prefer it over Y (cant say the same for Mewtwo obviously), I just hope that GameFreak gave some detail about Zard X for Sakurai rather than just show him a picture and leave it from there. Being able to play as him is just a personal bias since Ridley's chances are not good.

As for Ganondorf, come on its been two games at least put some effort into him this time. There are unofficial Project M mods that give him a sword based move set so there shouldn't be an excuse this time.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Im all for X being the main form, I prefer it over Y(cant say the same for Mewtwo obviously), I just hope that GameFreak gave some detail about Zard X for Sakurai rather than just show him a picture and leave it from there. Being able to play as him is just a personal bias since Ridley's chances are not good.

As for Ganondorf, come on its been two games at least put some effort into him this time. There are unofficial Project M mods that give him a sword based move set so there shouldn't be an excuse this time.
I honestly enjoy Ganondorf's move-set the way it is. He could probably get away with just changing a couple of moves here and there. An overhaul would be unwarranted.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
I honestly enjoy Ganondorf's move-set the way it is. He could probably get away with just changing a couple of moves here and there. An overhaul would be unwarranted.
A gimmick that swaps his original moves for a sword based one, or does that go against the whole "no more alternate moveset/transformations" policy?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Im all for X being the main form, I prefer it over Y(cant say the same for Mewtwo obviously), I just hope that GameFreak gave some detail about Zard X for Sakurai rather than just show him a picture and leave it from there. Being able to play as him is just a personal bias since Ridley's chances are not good.

He's likely to be similar to his Brawl self. You seem to be under the impression he cares about Ganondorf being a sword user. He never added him outside of him being a good clone choice. That was literally his thoughts.

He won't change too much, realistically speaking. The sword isn't important to Ganondorf. He's fine as a physical fighter. He just needs to use his magic. He doesn't even use swords till WW/TP, in which he fights completely differently from his OOT self(who never had a sword period. That was Ganon. He should definitely not have used a sword... he never had). In Brawl, completely revamping his moveset would alienate previous players of him. It makes sense to improve him while not changing him beyond much. It's a logical thing for Sakurai to do, to keep previous and newer players happy. I loved his design, and never thought a sword would really do jack for him. He needs his energy balls, not a silly sword. He's a very capable fighter physically, and is one of the strongest charaters in the Zelda series, even without his sword alone. I'm glad Smash emphasized that he has the Triforce of Power(which is why he can do such heavily powerful physical moves without issues) while having magic as his true main weapon(some of his moves are magically powered). Clone or not, Sakurai embraced more than a single weapon he never had in OOT, ignoring it again in Brawl, knowing Ganondorf is more than just a swordsman. He's a highly powerful magic user with frightening strength. I say he stayed very true to his character overall. Remember, he did a choke slam in WW on Toon Link, and his Side B got changed to a variant choke move, albeit, TP was even darker and edgier than WW, so the version of the choke fit the tone of his appearance a bit better, imo.

I know this is an unpopular opinion. That's fine.

A gimmick that swaps his original moves for a sword based one, or does that go against the whole "no more alternate moveset/transformations" policy?
I thought he only said no transformations? I don't know if he'd allow an alternate moveset, which, while arguably the same thing in execution, technically isn't.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
That would go against the "no more alternate movesets" things. And also, his character doesn't really have a precedent for that. It's not like he ever goes into "sword mode", he just carries a sword or two swords or he doesn't, depending on the instance.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Keeping the standard attacks as they are is fine. But put some variety to him. One special could be him using some magic based attack (projectile or trick move) and another haves him using a weapon. Lot of vets got updated moves and Ganon deserves one to. Giving him a moveset that pleases everyon is possible if done correctly.

Chrimbo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-3537-7151
Can I just say that at this point, it looks increasingly likely that Jigglypuff and Mewtwo will make return appearances, rounding out six characters like we had in Brawl (splitting the Trainer up). That would mean the game has 3 Pokemon with Mega Evolutions and 3 Pokemon with unique Final Smashes. I also imagine Mega Mewtwo Y will be chosen since Mega Charizard X was chosen already.

Morbi

Scavenger
Can I just say that at this point, it looks increasingly likely that Jigglypuff and Mewtwo will make return appearances, rounding out six characters like we had in Brawl (splitting the Trainer up). That would mean the game has 3 Pokemon with Mega Evolutions and 3 Pokemon with unique Final Smashes. I also imagine Mega Mewtwo Y will be chosen since Mega Charizard X was chosen already.
My thoughts verbatim. But it wasn't a case of "increasingly apparent," I have thought this since the Direct in April. I actually thought about it prior, but the Direct reaffirmed the fact that we would be getting multiple Mega Evolutions.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I'm glad that Rock Snash is back if only for the sake of beating Boss battles on intense again. That move is the only way to go man. OP as crap.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Boring updates alert is off the charts
We got a explonation about how Charizard's Flare Blitz works (as well as that it IS Flare Blitz), we found out that Charizard still has Rock Smash, and it was confirmed MegaCharizardX really IS his Final Smash. :/ I don't see how this is a boring update.

If that's a boring update, then the Picture of Luigi sniffing Marth's neck must be like a kick in the nuts~

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
It's why I never liked the Arrows. They kind of sucked. Young Link's are slightly better, but Toon Link's are meh. I would've preferred the Hammer, perhaps. Might actually be a good new move. Well, can't wait to see our customization choices(and it'll remove clone moves).
I'm hoping for Ice Fire Light and Bomb arrow alt moves, maybe a sliver one too. Even if the light arrows clash with Zelda or Sheik's final smash(if it stays the same for one or of them one of both of them).
He's a very capable fighter physically, and is one of the strongest charaters in the Zelda series, even without his sword alone.
While I don't see any reason to suspect in any given game that Ganondorf couldn't conceivably just punch Link to death(he's always a pretty burly fellow and he's got the triforce of power which...maybe gives you enhanced physical strength? It might just give him more powerful magic) I've played every Zelda game with Gannondorf in it and of the top of my head I can't think of a single instance where gannondorf fights with his hands and feet. I think...maybe he kicks you in Windwaker? And he tosses you aside in a cinematic. Other than that there was a OoT poster where it looks like he's about to punch Link and that's about it. So while he could conceivably fight with his limbs, it's really not at all associated with his character. In a similar sense you could say give Ike a spear since he should probably know how to use one, but he never actually uses a spear in any of the games he's in.

As for the sword, while he doesn't ever have a sword in OoT(though Ganon does like you said), the reason why people wanted him to use a sword in smash pre-wind Waker was because people got in a huge tizzy about Ganondorf and Link swordfighting in the spaceworld 2000 trailer-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBtAvX4Pkyk
The sword Ganondorf has in that trailer even shows up in Melee during one of Ganondorf's win poses. Then by the time brawl came out there was Wind Waker and Twilight princess both ending in big sword fights with Ganondorf meaning in two out of three Gaonondorf's appearances(as opposed to Ganon) he used a sword prominently and people REALLY wanted him to have a sword, especially when they used his TP design which is mostly known for his swordfight. And Sakurai even directly addressed that by giving him the sword taunt and making a post in the dojo asking Ganondorf why he doesn't use it. Also if you want to go out on a limb and talk about weapons in general Ganon/Gannondorf uses one in every game except the first and the CDi games, though Ganon prefers the trident over sword(which I know a lot of people want him to have in smash.

Both of those aside I'd agree with you that the magic is the primary aspect of Ganondorf's powers(he is a dark wizard after all), though in recent years Nintendo seems to be trying to put the sword to equal importance at least in regards to fighting, though the magic still has more plot significance. And the ping pong attack is definitely his most iconic attack.

ANYWAY as far as Ganondorf in smash is concerned I'm fine with the way he is now. He's fine minus severely needing buffs and honestly pretty unique and I'm generally against giving characters a complete rehall. Plus two of my friends mained the hell out of him in Brawl so it just wouldn't be the same without him dominating every damn category on my records list.

I can think of several ways you could implement his sword or magic without totally rehalling him though. Like people said you could let him switch between sword and barehanded though that might clash with the no double character thing, though you could tone that down by making it change only his A or his B moves(and either way you aren't changing models which makes it HUGELY different from the previous transform characters. More like a stance change or weapon change in Soul Caliber or Mortal Kombat, and honestly Smash is kind of overdue for a stance character). You could also keep his moveset mostly the same but add in just a couple moves that incorporate his sword or his magic. Or...just make another Gannondorf as a separate character. We already got two Links aand there's possible evidence two Zelda's were planned for brawl. Have TP or Oot Gannondorf use fists/magic and Windwaker use swords, or however you want to mix and match it. Or have Ganondorf and Ganon separate and have Ganon use dat trident or his swords from OoT. Seriously there's like a gajilion ways to address the "Gaonnondorf issue" as it were.

And this post ended up SOOOOOOO much longer than I intended.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom