• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

R0Y

Smash Master
A few characters, like Sheik and the Pokemon, wouldn't make sense with alt costumes. Wii Fit Trainer's heights and weights are the same, but that'd be one big Charmander or Charmeleon.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
A few characters, like Sheik and the Pokemon, wouldn't make sense with alt costumes. Wii Fit Trainer's heights and weights are the same, but that'd be one big Charmander or Charmeleon.
B-but..... Charizard's alt costume would be Ridley...:b::b::b::b:

Last edited:

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
Charizard's alt would be the Mega Charizard X seen in the direct.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sheik could have an Impa costume(her best chance of being playable). Pikachu could be shaped like Pichu and Raichu. Charizard could get, say, Salamence colors. Lucario could potentially get a Mewtwo costume if the psychic Pokemon doesn't come back(and I'm not even expecting him anymore now. I'm expecting 5 with Jigglypuff returning and that's it).

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
This reminds me....

Outset Island Toon Link...I want it to happen so badly.

PLS SAKURAI I KNOW YOU'RE READING THIS THROUGH YOUR MIND SOMEHOW

EDIT:

I'd like to see a female Pikachu alt. too.

And Dry Bowser. Can't forget Dry Bowser.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I'd love to see a renaissance for alternate costumes, though I suspect if there's going to be alt costumes besides the really easy to make ones, they'll likely wind up being DLC/promotional DLC.

QJD1381

Smash Apprentice
Well, at least the POTD's are coming a bit earlier. Though I see Maintenance Boards is still consistently acting up.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Spirit tracks Toon link.... please..... +Doc. +Shiny pokemon. Wire frame mac is cool.

The pattern with smash games is that if something is introduced (that is intentional) in one game it is refined and done better in the next one. Perfect shielding, adventure mode, event matches, and other stuff like that are some examples. I would think that alternate costumes are better implemented in this game than in Brawl with only one character having them.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
You could seriously just swap out the pokemon with other pokemon for alt costumes, there are so many one is almost bound to work pretty well and it's a way to rep a little more of the HUGE list of pokemon. aside from the obvious choice of Charazard Y, Charazard could be swapped with Dragonite or Druddigon with maybe a bit of of wonky hitboxes around the neck, or you could change the cooler of the fire attacks to make them look more dragon type and make him Flygon. Pikachu could be Plusie, Minum, Pichu, Raichu(none of those would look THAT wired resized to be Pikachu size) or Pachirisu. Jigglypuff if she's back could be Igglybuff, Wiglytuff, Clefairy, Whishmur and probably other things I'm not thinking of. Mewtwo's a bit trickier but he could have mega mewtwo X if it's not his final smash or they could be really cool and go cross series and give him Gygas's form from Mother 1, since that's very likely what his design was based on. Greninja's a bit harder, I can't really think of anything off the top of my head. Maybe gallade with the water moves turned purple so that they're psychic ,moves or something.

That said I'm not in the camp that thinks everyone needs to have an alt costume.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The only Mario alt I actually want(assuming we can't use the Megavitamins, anyway, since no Megavitamins = No Doc for me, and Sakurai did make Dr. Mario a clone because Mario couldn't use the same moves according to him, so...) is his Hawaiin shirt from Sunshine. If we can also use the Megavitamins with the custom move creator, then I'm okay with a Doctor Mario costume. It has to be with him using it, since that's his signature ability, even from the game itself. Even Ganondorf can fight physically enough for his Smash moveset to logically make sense. Dr. Mario not using a single one of his possible moves from the game? Not worth the effort of designing him without those beautiful pills.

You could seriously just swap out the pokemon with other pokemon for alt costumes, there are so many one is almost bound to work pretty well and it's a way to rep a little more of the HUGE list of pokemon. aside from the obvious choice of Charazard Y, Charazard could be swapped with Dragonite or Druddigon with maybe a bit of of wonky hitboxes around the neck, or you could change the cooler of the fire attacks to make them look more dragon type and make him Flygon. Pikachu could be Plusie, Minum, Pichu, Raichu(none of those would look THAT wired resized to be Pikachu size) or Pachirisu. Jigglypuff if she's back could be Igglybuff, Wiglytuff, Clefairy, Whishmur and probably other things I'm not thinking of. Mewtwo's a bit trickier but he could have mega mewtwo X if it's not his final smash or they could be really cool and go cross series and give him Gygas's form from Mother 1, since that's very likely what his design was based on. Greninja's a bit harder, I can't really think of anything off the top of my head. Maybe gallade with the water moves turned purple so that they're psychic ,moves or something.

That said I'm not in the camp that thinks everyone needs to have an alt costume.
You know I would have shot this down a few days ago, but with the NFP being revealed I could see them putting that information in a figure and selling them for Smash. As a simple alt that sounds like too much work, but as a separate purchase I could see them pulling something like that off.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
You know I would have shot this down a few days ago, but with the NFP being revealed I could see them putting that information in a figure and selling them for Smash. As a simple alt that sounds like too much work, but as a separate purchase I could see them pulling something like that off.
What's NFP?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
That's an interesting trivia. Little Mac on graph paper.

Speaking of costumes, I really hope for Dr. Mario (& Dr. Luigi), and Outset Link.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
You know, got to thinking about it, and yeah, some characters might be hard to make alternate costumes for. The Pokemon especially. I mean, we already have different hats on Pikachu, and they could give him a shiny version, but that's just a color swap. Same goes for Charizard and Greninja. Shiny versions, but that's not really an alt costume, it's just a color change, which I'm sure will already be in there. Hmm...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They might be able to pull off the doctors now, with customized movesets.
Think of this way; That's our only real chance of getting the costumes, if Megavitamins are available. Much like I said above.

Sakurai has clearly gone back on his word before, though, so...

His reason for the Zelda/Sheik combo is his original belief they were meant to be solely as a team, one who did damage, the other does the K.O. Separated. Albeit, this is most likely due to Bandai-Namco's influence in having balance more important than a cool concept alone. Likely the reason for removing PT's concept(to be fair, it was widely unbalanced and terribly designed. You could remove all the downsides of PT. No forced switching, no elemental weaknesses, and no stamina loss, and he'd have been overall fairly worth playing as is with everyone. You can barely main one due to the forced switching and stamina. Elemental weakness is literally the only one that doesn't make him a bad character overall. That's just a slight weakness holding you back on the tier list at best)

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
If they go through the hardships of creating custom move sets for each character, then a skin/outfit shouldn't be a problem.

I'm saying if we get some unique move sets that could reference to different playstyles from different games, an alternate costume could be the one to match it.

As mentioned earlier, Mario could shoot megavitamins, so his alt costume would be Dr Mario.

I don't wanna jump ahead of myself to be let down, but this also doesn't rule out a Deku Leaf for Toon Link, either. It could possibly replace his boomerang should you choose so.

Some skins would be only cosmetic, of course. For instance, all I could see for Rosaluma is some starry glow skin or something.

Presuming all characters will have custom move sets.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He said the B moves were customizable(or at least, we know that much). He talked about it as a general option, so it's likely everyone has some kind. We know almost nothing besides it being B moves and little of what can be changed. It could just be very tiny changes(like making a Fireball into an Iceball) or major ones, like the Deku Leaf idea. I'm hoping more of the latter, as this would explain why he made Toon Link a clone still.

Also, if the Boomerang is a separate weapon, maybe they have a new Side B? Have we've seen their Boomerangs yet?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
He said the B moves were customizable(or at least, we know that much). He talked about it as a general option, so it's likely everyone has some kind. We know almost nothing besides it being B moves and little of what can be changed. It could just be very tiny changes(like making a Fireball into an Iceball) or major ones, like the Deku Leaf idea. I'm hoping more of the latter, as this would explain why he made Toon Link a clone still.

Also, if the Boomerang is a separate weapon, maybe they have a new Side B? Have we've seen their Boomerangs yet?
We saw the gale boomerang in the CGI part of Greninja's trailer

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa

We have seen toon links

The best for normal link is

which shows him use in the climatic.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord

You mean have we seen Link/Toon Link's boomerangs in Smash4 yet? Yes they were both shown offhand during direct footage, though if you want specific timestamps you're going to have to ask someone with better memory than me or check their character forums. I believe they're both basically the same as in Brawl.

Edit:Double ninjaed.

Just my guess but I don't think Toon Link was kept as cloney as he was because you can switch things with character customization. If he wanted to declone Toon Link he probably would have done that the other way around-make him different by default and let you customize him to be like Adult Link again. Which one is default is at least somewhat significant since custom moves are banned from online play(at least for random matches). I think Sakurai considers it important to what he's trying to do with the Link/Toon Link duo to make them clones. Also though they have the same moves they still play VERY differently, arguably more differently than some characters with different movesets play from eachother, since their character archtypes are different(same deal with Ganondorf and Captain Falcon) and there's a lot of people who love to play as Toon Link as he is but hate playing as Adult Link.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You mean have we seen Link/Toon Link's boomerangs in Smash4 yet? Yes they were both shown offhand during direct footage, though if you want specific timestamps you're going to have to ask someone with better memory than me or check their character forums. I believe they're both basically the same as in Brawl.

Edit:Double ninjaed.

Just my guess but I don't think Toon Link was kept as cloney as he was because you can switch things with character customization. If he wanted to declone Toon Link he probably would have done that the other way around-make him different by default and let you customize him to be like Adult Link again. Which one is default is at least somewhat significant since custom moves are banned from online play(at least for random matches). I think Sakurai considers it important to what he's trying to do with the Link/Toon Link duo to make them clones. Also though they have the same moves they still play VERY differently, arguably more differently than some characters with different movesets play from eachother, since their character archtypes are different(same deal with Ganondorf and Captain Falcon) and there's a lot of people who love to play as Toon Link as he is but hate playing as Adult Link.
No. I'm pretty sure he would've kept him a clone regardless. Most Links in the Zelda games are extremely similar. It makes little sense to not have every Link use mostly the same moves. The only factor is that each Link is a different person,but they're all based upon the same character. I know they clearly play differently from each other.

The clones in Melee were all animation-based, not "near identical moves just in general" like 64's set of clones. Mario and Luigi were almost the same. Slightly different stats, a few different moves. Jigglypuff and Kirby were very similar, not as much as Mario and Luigi. Samus and Falcon share a small amount of moves too. Brawl had a small list of clone moves, but no real clones beyond animations at best. Some moves were the same for the most part(both PK Thunders, almost all of Fox and Falco's specials, Fox and Wolf's Down B and all 3's Landmasters). While others were still clearly different(Warlock Punch and Falcon Punch are animation-based, but have different strengths and speeds overall. Their Up B's are, oddly enough, kind of the same, yet different. They use different elements, but having the same attack animation, but Ganondorf has a new animation when he does the move without hitting someone. Hence how it's odd)

I don't think he's going to really go out of his way to completely cut clone moves. Customization for B moves(at least) is likely his way around this, so he doesn't have to change how a character plays too much from the previous entry. He did say he likes keeping them similar so he doesn't alienate previous players. However, if the customization is just really small changes, yeah, I was wrong. But if they're large changes(I.E. Deku Leaf), then it's not hard to believe in this case he wanted to use that to more or less make clones less of a "thing" overall. Just a small theory of mine, nothing more. :)

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
No. I'm pretty sure he would've kept him a clone regardless. Most Links in the Zelda games are extremely similar. It makes little sense to not have every Link use mostly the same moves. The only factor is that each Link is a different person,but they're all based upon the same character. I know they clearly play differently from each other.

The clones in Melee were all animation-based, not "near identical moves just in general" like 64's set of clones. Mario and Luigi were almost the same. Slightly different stats, a few different moves. Jigglypuff and Kirby were very similar, not as much as Mario and Luigi. Samus and Falcon share a small amount of moves too. Brawl had a small list of clone moves, but no real clones beyond animations at best. Some moves were the same for the most part(both PK Thunders, almost all of Fox and Falco's specials, Fox and Wolf's Down B and all 3's Landmasters). While others were still clearly different(Warlock Punch and Falcon Punch are animation-based, but have different strengths and speeds overall. Their Up B's are, oddly enough, kind of the same, yet different. They use different elements, but having the same attack animation, but Ganondorf has a new animation when he does the move without hitting someone. Hence how it's odd)

I don't think he's going to really go out of his way to completely cut clone moves. Customization for B moves(at least) is likely his way around this, so he doesn't have to change how a character plays too much from the previous entry. He did say he likes keeping them similar so he doesn't alienate previous players. However, if the customization is just really small changes, yeah, I was wrong. But if they're large changes(I.E. Deku Leaf), then it's not hard to believe in this case he wanted to use that to more or less make clones less of a "thing" overall. Just a small theory of mine, nothing more. :)
I...basically agree with all of this except for some of the semantics of your clone discussion that aren't really relevant? I don't know why you thought anything in my post was opposed to anything you're saying here.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I...basically agree with all of this except for some of the semantics of your clone discussion that aren't really relevant? I don't know why you thought anything in my post was opposed to anything you're saying here.
I'm expecting him to stick with animation clones here, my overall point. It's the overall reason why every Link shares mostly the same animations for most moves. Unlike the 64 clones.

It was always related to my overall point.

Eh, anyway, the customization should be fun overall.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Question: Since Friday's pic of the day, the website hasn't been linking the pictures with their miiverse post for me. Anybody having the same problem? Anyone know how to access the miiverse posts otherwise?

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom

It's not that simple. Basically, even though they look different, both Little Mac and Wireframe Mac are still the same character, same with WFT.

Charizard is not the same as Dragonite or Druddigon.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
It would be. Sadly, Nintendo would never allow it. :|

Same as Gamefreak would never allow Sakurai to acknowledge Missingno.(Nintendo acknowledges it exists, Gamefreak does not)
:( Missingno should be a Pokeball mon

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
So, Miyamoto designed the original Wire Frame Mac for the arcade game.
I guess that this just shows that anything Miyamoto designed gets priority over other characters.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
So, Miyamoto designed the original Wire Frame Mac for the arcade game.
I guess that this just shows that anything Miyamoto designed gets priority over other characters.
Well, the man is a god.

I disagree though. I just think it's a cool throwback. Like grayscale Kirby amd classic Zelda colours. And Toon Link's LttP design.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Not Ness or Lucas. Or anything new.

But, um, yay trivia?

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
It's not that simple. Basically, even though they look different, both Little Mac and Wireframe Mac are still the same character, same with WFT.

Charizard is not the same as Dragonite or Druddigon.
Right, and some designers don't do alt. costumes that are different character, but some do. We don't know for sure if the Smash team would be willing to or not. Even if they wouldn't, it's fun to imagine the possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom