• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Is there any reason apart from the normal baseless guessing that people think we'll get a character later that isn't Diddy?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Is there any reason apart from the normal baseless guessing that people think we'll get a character later that isn't Diddy?
I actually think we are probably not getting any new veteran reveal at all tomorrow as both things have rarely provided us with a veteran reveal. (Anniversaries and non-Japanese release dates) but that's just me really... :/

And yeah, tomorrow's the anniversary of Zelda and Starfox too.

I mean I'd love to be proven wrong but I think I'd better not get my hopes up....

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
Because it's Sakurai that's doing the daily pics, it's always on point to talk about the complete opposite of what's the most logic reveal.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I actually think we are probably not getting any new veteran reveal at all tomorrow as both things have rarely provided us with a veteran reveal. (Anniversaries and non-Japanese release dates) but that's just me really... :/

And yeah, tomorrow's the anniversary of Zelda and Starfox too.
Supposedly tonight is the Japanese anniversary of LoZ and Star Fox but, as always, it's more of what we want than what's likely.
Yeah, I guess that's something, but considering we never actually have gotten a reveal proven to be due to an anniversary that wasn't Smash itself... it's still pretty much just wishful thinking. With Little Mac already and the possibility of still getting something TF related, I wouldn't count on much more for this month in the way of characters.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
You mean the same baseless guessing that people thought we'd get Diddy when Little Mac was revealed?
Nope, nothing more than that; just for the same reasons people are 100% convinced we'll get Diddy next, and Sakurai's size pictures "obviously" mean that Ridley isn't too big.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You mean the same baseless guessing that people thought we'd get Diddy when Little Mac was revealed?
Nope, nothing more than that; just for the same reasons people are 100% convinced we'll get Diddy next, and Sakurai's size pictures "obviously" mean that Ridley isn't too big.
Guessing a character will be revealed on the day of their game releasing and the day of a Direct is hardly baseless.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Simple. It just seems too obvious.
I know I've said this a million times but, this is Sakurai. Will we probably get him? Sure. But I wouldn't say it's "guaranteed".
Remember LoZ:LBW? We assumed someone would be revealed in November. But, it wasn't till December (or, the Japanese release date) that it happened.
While I'm not saying it's impossible. I wouldn't cross out other options just yet...

Last edited:

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
I predict another assist trophy Friday. It will be Cranky Kong yammering at Donkey Kong and Little Mac.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Simple. It just seems too obvious.
I know I've said this a million times but, this is Sakurai. Will we probably get him? Sure. But I wouldn't say it's "guaranteed".
Remember LoZ:LBW? We assumed someone would be revealed in November. But, it wasn't till December (or, the Japanese release date) that it happened.
While I'm not saying it's impossible. I wouldn't cross out other options just yet...
That explains why people might doubt getting Diddy (though I can't imagine TF will pass without something Smash-related), but I didn't see why it was so likely we'd get someone else. Especially guesses like Captain Falcon and all.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
That explains why people might doubt getting Diddy (though I can't imagine TF will pass without something Smash-related), but I didn't see why it was so likely we'd get someone else. Especially guesses like Captain Falcon and all.
Simple.
Like what NickRiddle said. We expected a DK rep, but got Little Mac. Or better yet, we expected a Pokemon rep in October. And look what happened.
This proves that reveals aren't exactly going to be predictable. For all we know, it could just be a pic with Donkey Kong and a slight mention to DK:TF.
What I'm getting at is we can't just assume X is gonna happen where Y and Z won't. Especially with the last few reveals. Is it possible? Sure. But possible =/= guaranteed.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Simple.
Like what NickRiddle said. We expected a DK rep, but got Little Mac. Or better yet, we expected a Pokemon rep in October. And look what happened.
This proves that reveals aren't exactly going to be predictable. For all we know, it could just be a pic with Donkey Kong and a slight mention to DK:TF.
What I'm getting at is we can't just assume X is gonna happen where Y and Z won't. Especially with the last few reveals. Is it possible? Sure. But possible =/= guaranteed.
We expected one character for a Direct and got another... but it was still a Direct. We usually get something. This is pretty much a random day for non-DK characters, it's not the same thing.

We expected a Pokemon rep on X/Y's release and we didn't get one. But we didn't get a different character revealed either. Again that's not the same thing as people guessing characters that aren't Diddy for later.

Like I said, I understand why people would be hesitant to expect Diddy, that wasn't my point, but Sakurai "being unpredictable" is no real reason this day would make a random reveal any likelier than another. I wanted to know why people thought it was likelier.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I really doubt we will see anything tonight, I mean, it's possible, and I get why, but I think a lot of people are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
We expected one character for a Direct and got another... but it was still a Direct. We usually get something. This is pretty much a random day for non-DK characters, it's not the same thing.
But here's the thing.
It was a direct next to a release date. Which to us meant a DK character reveal.
Like back in August. When Luigi was revealed for Dream Team. We expected the same thing to happen then.
But look what happened!
It wasn't the fact that we'd get a character that stuck with us. It was the fact that it was one we didn't expect.
But even on certain days when we thought we would get one we didn't (I.E. Pokemon X/Y's release).

We expected a Pokemon rep on X/Y's release and we didn't get one. But we didn't get a different character revealed either. Again that's not the same thing as people guessing characters that aren't Diddy for later.
But that release proved something, and what both had in common. We expected. Either way still goes back to the first statement.
Whether it was a Pokemon rep or not, we though something would be revealed.
"There was no way we wouldn't get one!" We said at the time. Heck if anything, this conversation could've happened then as well.

Plus, like many have said, there are other events coming up that could change the outcome (Starfox anniversary; Loz anniversary; etc.)
So it's not like we don't have reasons.

For characters like Captain Falcon? Simple. To throw us for a loop.
This isn't the first time we've gotten a "oddball" reveal. Look at Marth.
Sure, he's done reveals next to releases. I mean heck, remember? That's how we attempted to predict reveals. Then he threw a wrench in that plan.
We had to rethink.
Sure, it seems out of the ordinary to predict Ness for a Mario game. But, anything's possible at this point.

Like I said, I understand why people would be hesitant to expect Diddy, that wasn't my point, but Sakurai "being unpredictable" is no real reason this day would make a random reveal any likelier than another. I wanted to know why people thought it was likelier.
I never said that.
What I did say is that we shouldn't rule other options out. We can't just say it'll only be a DK rep and leave it at that.
Now, I'm not saying we won't get a DK character reveal, it's possible. But like I said, possible =/= guaranteed.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I still think we could get Diddy Kong soon. What with Tropical Freeze and all. But the Zelda and Star Fox stuff could prove to bring something a little interesting as far as alternatives go. Perhaps Ganondorf or Falco would be shown. Though I doubt that. And then there's the possibilities of nothing new being shown off. Which is the most likely thing to happen.

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
The thing is, friday is a good day for a new veteran as most of them are being revealed on fridays. So it's just interesting to speculate over veterans at the end of the week. Since this friday is close to certain dates it safe for some to guess certain reveals, and for those who think Sakurai is always trolling can guess things that make no sense to reveal at this time. It's just fun to speculate about it, which is why we're doing it.

Shroob

Sup?
I WANT Diddy to be revealed, but I EXPECT nothing to be revealed. Helps me sleep better at night, considering that the only thing of interest this week was the fairy in a bottle.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I WANT Diddy to be revealed, but I EXPECT nothing to be revealed. Helps me sleep better at night, considering that the only thing of interest this week was the fairy in a bottle.
I agree, other than that. This week has been pretty bland.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Guessing a character will be revealed on the day of their game releasing and the day of a Direct is hardly baseless.
Except Sakurai is hit-or-miss with reveals coinciding with game releases/anniversaries/anything else people think is a good reason to reveal a character.

Shroob

Sup?
However, I'm not counting it out yet. While he's never officially revealed a character for a US release date, it's Sakurai. We should know better than to try to predict him. For all we know, this could be the first time he does it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But here's the thing.
It was a direct next to a release date. Which to us meant a DK character reveal.
Like back in August. When Luigi was revealed for Dream Team. We expected the same thing to happen then.
But look what happened!
It wasn't the fact that we'd get a character that stuck with us. It was the fact that it was one we didn't expect.
But even on certain days when we thought we would get one we didn't (I.E. Pokemon X/Y's release).

But that release proved something, and what both had in common. We expected. Either way still goes back to the first statement.
Whether it was a Pokemon rep or not, we though something would be revealed.
"There was no way we wouldn't get one!" We said at the time. Heck if anything, this conversation could've happened then as well.

Plus, like many have said, there are other events coming up that could change the outcome (Starfox anniversary; Loz anniversary; etc.)
So it's not like we don't have reasons.

For characters like Captain Falcon? Simple. To throw us for a loop.
This isn't the first time we've gotten a "oddball" reveal. Look at Marth.
Sure, he's done reveals next to releases. I mean heck, remember? That's how we attempted to predict reveals. Then he threw a wrench in that plan.
We had to rethink.
Sure, it seems out of the ordinary to predict Ness for a Mario game. But, anything's possible at this point.

I never said that.
What I did say is that we shouldn't rule other options out. We can't just say it'll only be a DK rep and leave it at that.
Now, I'm not saying we won't get a DK character reveal, it's possible. But like I said, possible =/= guaranteed.
"Anything's possible" is no reason to think there's a better chance of getting a character that isn't Diddy than any other day. "Anything's possible" is something true of all days, not just what's going to happen later. The fact of the matter is we went into the Direct expecting... not Little Mac, but that's what we got. But it's a Direct, even if we don't get what we're expecting, getting something is still of a high chance. It's not a random day for newcomers or veterans with games to promote. Your next example (X/Y's release) demonstrates that when it's not a Direct, and when we don't get what we expected, we don't get anything new character-wise. Yes, anything's possible, so it is possible we get someone other than Diddy today, but there's no reason to believe there's actually a heightened chance of getting a non-DK character today compared to any other day. Today is a random day for every other series (excluding anniversaries which don't result in reveals afawk - bar Smash itself).

So yes, we could get another character, I never said we wouldn't... but there's no reason to suspect we would past the normal random guessing, today is no likelier than yesterday or next week for a random reveal. If you go back to my first post about this, the post that you replied to... you'll see all I was inquiring is if there was actually any reason to expect a character other than Diddy today that amounted to more than baseless guessing... and apart from anniversaries, which are of unproven impact, there isn't. You're saying we might get a bait-and-switch with Diddy. But there's been no history of that happening outside Directs (which are a different thing all together) we can't pretend it's a likelihood. We were given X/Y bait... but there was no switch. We got Zelda when we predicted, we got Dedede when we predicted, we got Sonic and TL and Olimar for games they were promoting, we got Peach and Marth randomly, not on days of other games releasing; there's been no instance of a release date yielding an unrelated character reveal when it's just the standard update.

Your reasoning for why today might be likelier to produce a reveal boils down to... an event which has never happened and not ruling any options out. The latter of which applies every day.
So that's why we might GET a non-Diddy reveal, but that's certainly not why a non-Diddy reveal is likelier today than any other.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Supposedly tonight is the Japanese anniversary of LoZ and Star Fox but, as always, it's more of what we want than what's likely.
Oh god!!! Imagine how trollish it would be for Sakurai to not reveal Diddy tonight and instead confirm Ganondorf (please declone him already!) or Falco (please no!) or Wolf (yes please!)... and so we are left guessing whether we are getting a Diddy & Dixie team or King K. Rool for a long time...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Except Sakurai is hit-or-miss with reveals coinciding with game releases/anniversaries/anything else people think is a good reason to reveal a character.
But if it were baseless there'd be no foundation to have the expectation we'd get Diddy on the day we predicted him. There is a history of characters being revealed on their release dates, and there is a history of characters being revealed in Directs, so yeah, it was still a guess, yeah there hasn't been an accompanying reveal on every release date, but by no means was the guess baseless, it was grounded in precedent, as opposed to the random guesses that usually fly around this thread... which are generally the baseless ones.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Here's my prediction for tonight.

"He's back again
And about time, too
And this time,
He's in the mood

He can fly real high
With his jetpack on
With his pistols out,
He's one tough Kong!

He'll make you smile
When he plays his tune
But Smashers beware
'Cause he's after YOU!

HUH!"

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Every guess is baseless because there is no set reason for half of the reveals. Just because there are some things that follow a pattern doesn't mean the pattern is always going to happen.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be fair N3ON. Sakurai has yet to reveal a veteran on a non-Japanese game release (Besides... Luigi I guess, but even that was days off and it was on a Nintendo Direct in order to celebrate the Year of Luigi....).

So you can't really blame them for being a little skeptical...

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't think we're getting anything big tomorrow, but hey, if we are, then we're all winners. :D

I really hope they nerf those bannanas though... One is enough, and if possible, make it so they're like in Mario Kart. You slip, they're destroyed.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Samus looks really good in the pic today. so smooth... Samus probably has the best visual upgrade.

I think that we will just get a starfox something tonight.. or more Little mac. Probably a Final Smash of some sort.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Oh god!!! Imagine how trollish it would be for Sakurai to not reveal Diddy tonight and instead confirm Ganondorf (please declone him already!) or Falco (please no!) or Wolf (yes please!)... and so we are left guessing whether we are getting a Diddy & Dixie team or King K. Rool for a long time...
Actually, there's a side of me that would want Wolf revealed too. In my opinion, Wolf is the most expendable of the Brawl cast and if he came back, to me it'd pretty much confirm there would be no cuts.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
"Anything's possible" is no reason to think there's a better chance of getting a character that isn't Diddy than any other day. "Anything's possible" is something true of all days, not just what's going to happen later. The fact of the matter is we went into the Direct expecting... not Little Mac, but that's what we got. But it's a Direct, even if we don't get what we're expecting, getting something is still of a high chance.
But that's the thing. The problem wasn't that we didn't get a character. It's why didn't we get the character.
And that's what I'm referring to. Why did we get Little Mac instead of a DK rep like we expected?

It's not a random day for newcomers or veterans with games to promote. Your next example (X/Y's release) demonstrates that when it's not a Direct, and when we don't get what we expected, we don't get anything new character-wise.
No, it just means we don't get what we expect.
We can still get a character, items, or stage regardless of expectations.
It just means it's not the one we expect. Nothing more.

Yes, anything's possible, so it is possible we get someone other than Diddy today, but there's no reason to believe there's actually a heightened chance of getting a non-DK character today compared to any other day. Today is a random day for every other series (excluding anniversaries which don't result in reveals afawk - bar Smash itself).
Once again. I never said "non-DK character have a better chance".
I've only said "don't rule other options out yet".

So yes, we could get another character, I never said we wouldn't... but there's no reason to suspect we would past the normal random guessing, today is no likelier than yesterday or next week for a random reveal. If you go back to my first post about this, the post that you replied to... you'll see all I was inquiring is if there was actually any reason to expect a character other than Diddy today that amounted to more than baseless guessing... and apart from anniversaries, which are of unproven impact, there isn't.
Well, then, let's go to you.
Why do you think Diddy will be revealed today? What is your reasoning?
Why not a TF stage? Or a DK related item? Why Diddy?

You're saying we might get a bait-and-switch with Diddy. But there's been no history of that happening outside Directs (which are a different thing all together) we can't pretend it's a likelihood. We were given X/Y bait... but there was no switch.
Might, being the term here.
I never said will.
And, to be fair, there's was a switch. Xerneas. Remember? We got him instead of a character.

We got Zelda when we predicted, we got Dedede when we predicted, we got Sonic and TL and Olimar for games they were promoting, we got Peach and Marth randomly, not on day of other games releasing, there's been no instance of a release date yielding an unrelated character reveal when it's just the standard update.
On a Japanese release yes. But what about an American release?

Your reasoning for why today might be likelier to produce a reveal boils down to... an event which has never happened and not ruling any options out. The latter of which applies every day.
So that's why we might GET a non-Diddy reveal, but that's certainly not why a non-Diddy reveal is likelier today than any other.
Once again, I never said that.

But, what I don't get is why you're so sure we will.
Like with what Kiwi said, we've never gotten a character due to an American release.
What make you so sure that tomorrow's an exception?

Shroob

Sup?
Actually, there's a side of me that would want Wolf revealed too. In my opinion, Wolf is the most expendable of the Brawl cast and if he came back, to me it'd pretty much confirm there would be no cuts.
Oh god... A Wolf reveal would just seal the deal for me and I'd probably be jumping off the walls.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
To be fair N3ON. Sakurai has yet to reveal a veteran on a non-Japanese game release (Besides... Luigi I guess, but even that was days off and it was on a Nintendo Direct in order to celebrate the Year of Luigi....).

So you can't really blame them for being a little skeptical...
Honestly, that's why I've been doubting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom