• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Dude, just give up. Not even the director of the game agree with the "staying true to scale" idea. And by the way, no, the size different wouldn't be much more extreme for Ridley. I think you should hang out on Ridley's support thread more often. :p
Give up on what, exactly? Stating facts?

And depending on what Sakurai does, yes the size difference can be dramatic.

Here's Samus size in Sm4sh:

She's among the taller characters in the game.

Here's her compared to Ridley.

That is a BIG difference.

And it doesn't matter to me if he gets in either way. I was just trying to show that I was happy for you guys here.

Oh and Sakurai's comment was "doesn't always stay true to scale." Which means, for the most part, it does. Geez, this topic should be avoided at all times. Sorry for actually trying to show some support for a character I'm indifferent to.

Last edited:

splat

Smash Lord
At this point I'm waiting for the word specific arguments.
Up until now, I don't think we've had any.

-

I'm 100% certain that Sakurai is well aware what he's saying; staying ambiguous to generate room for these Ridley discussions - in order to keep our attention on the games.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

And it doesn't matter to me if he gets in either way. I was just trying to show that I was happy for you guys here.

Oh and Sakurai's comment was "doesn't always stay true to scale." Which means, for the most part, it does. Geez, this topic should be avoided at all times. Sorry for actually trying to show some support for a character I'm indifferent to.
A list of all the times Bowser was big as **** (magic, star power, and spin offs not included)
It's funny how Bowser manages to be in Smash Bros. despite his large size.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
This is the second or third picture mentioning how smash's heights aren't canon or that a character/stage hazard was either scaled up a bit or down a bit. No point getting riled up over this since it is a recurring statement along with him saying the game and things shown aren't final.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
It happens more often than you think. For example, Pikachu, a 1'04'' tall yellow rat, reaches up to the waist of the five times taller Charizard and the even larger Mewtwo, yet no one complains about it.

But yeah, let's stop dancing this old dance all over again, it's getting pretty stale.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
A list of all the times Bowser was big as **** (magic, star power, and spin offs not included)
It's funny how Bowser manages to be in Smash Bros. despite his large size.
Did you see my first post? Nintendo gave Bowser an official size.

In fact, here:

There. Nintendo's official posted sizes. No matter how different they appear in each game, these are their real sizes.

More recently, they posted a similar one for Bowser's Inside Story, which was consistent with this one.

Last edited:

Azule07

Smash Cadet
I get that Ridley fans are happy over this, but it's honestly nothing special...he could be talking about Captain Olimar, for all we know. Size has come up time and time again already, and it hasn't "confirmed" Ridley.

In complete honesty, anyone who was trying to debunk Ridley by claiming "too big" doesn't really understand the game creation process, as we have several characters already included who would be "too big" or "too small". It was a silly argument against Ridley, and I thought it was debunked looooong ago.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Did you see my first post? Nintendo gave Bowser an official size.

In fact, here:

There. Nintendo's official posted sizes. No matter how different they appear in each game, these are their real sizes.

More recently, they posted a similar one for Bowser's Inside Story, which was consistent with this one.
Official size in the spinoffs maybe. Was it ever said that these were their canonical sizes?

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
Official size in the spinoffs maybe. Was it ever said that these were their canonical sizes?
I believe so. Also, I just dug up some old Super Mario 64 artwork:

In Nintendo's eyes, this is how big these two have always been compared to each other, if not very close. Yes, Bowser changes size every game. But they had to create an official size for him so that he could remain consistently the same size when they did use him in spinoffs.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I read the caption just now. I have to say...Sakurai chooses his captions carefully for maximum debate/controversy/trollage. :laugh:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
This may not mean anything for Ridley, but at least the "too big" argument goes down the gutter. (As if the "too big" argument was valid to begin with...)

I wonder if the dog will interact with the characters somehow? Maybe he's just playing around and sometimes knocks down the characters? I mean he's huge... Attack on Dog lol

(Also hit the 6000 posts mark. :p)

Last edited:
Before you guys just lose your ****, he's just stating the obvious.

On Big Blue, am I supposed to believe that Captain Falcon (or any character) is larger than his ship? No

On Corneria , am I supposed to believe my characters are bigger than Arwings? Hell no.

But for the sake of having something function as a platform, sure it could work.

As far as characters go, I dunno, that's more difficult.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Oh man, people blowing the caption out of... proportion... what a surprise! :awesome: *shot*

Seriously, though. What if Ridley was revealed as a stage hazard tomorrow? Imagine the pure, uncontrollable rage. I would fear for Sakurai's life.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
So no one took this as the opportune time to talk about King K. Rool?
I feel paramedics should be on watch for Shokio as the impending heart attack is imminent.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Sakurai is not an idiot and know what happens normally on his fan base. He knows how people will interpret this phrase and said that with a motive.

Speaking of Bowser, he dosen´t have a canon size, he change all time without explanation. In Mario Sunshine, in the last battle, he is HUGE and them little just because nintendo want to.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Sakurai is not an idiot and know what happens normally on his fan base. He knows how people will interpret this phrase and said that with a motive.

Speaking of Bowser, he dosen´t have a canon size, he change all time without explanation. In Mario Sunshine, in the last battle, he is HUGE and them little just because nintendo want to.
And that's the wonderful Think about Nintendo. They can be extremely random. And really, Sakurai's quote shouldn't have made any changed in anyone's thinking logically. Just the fact that Pikachu is giant, Olimar is even more a giant, Bowser is small, Ganondorf is short, etc etc should be proof enough that Ridley can be playable if Sakurai wants to.

Anyways, two Days in a row where I predicted Mac, and they've been wrong, so tomorrow will be a new stage.

And thus, it WILL me Mac, cuz' Sakurai is mean.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I get that Ridley fans are happy over this, but it's honestly nothing special...he could be talking about Captain Olimar, for all we know. Size has come up time and time again already, and it hasn't "confirmed" Ridley.

In complete honesty, anyone who was trying to debunk Ridley by claiming "too big" doesn't really understand the game creation process, as we have several characters already included who would be "too big" or "too small". It was a silly argument against Ridley, and I thought it was debunked looooong ago.
It was debunked ages ago, but people kept on clinging to it. This is just a relief since it'll finally shut it completely down. This doesn't confirm Ridley at all obviously, but it'll save us from repeating ourselves for the millionth time, and that's good enough for me.

Like you state in your other posts, Bowser doesn't really work as a counter-argument. However, it's not because of any recent size charts or w/e, but more so because the majority of his appearances when he joined Smash Bros features him only being a head higher than Mario. His only big appearance was in Super Mario 64 when he was added as a playable character in Melee, so that was totally fair game back then.

Sizing Ridley down might be "dramatic" like you put it, but it's no more extreme than sizing Olimar up, or having a stage with a giant Nintendog because all the characters are supposedly sized down. Sakurai has specifically pointed out both cases, so it's quite obvious that he doesn't want the game to be limited by canon sizes. If the canon sizes match up, great, but if they don't Sakurai takes the liberty to change them to fit, or as in Nintendog's case he deliberately makes it whacky. There really isn't a big difference in sizing up Olimar and sizing down Ridley, the only difference is one gets upscaled and one gets downscaled, and the line between those isn't very big.

The Ridley thread has made some really great potential size comparisons for Ridley if you haven't seen them, I'd suggest to anyone who's on the edge about it. This isn't so much directed at you though as it's directed at people that don't believe it can be done faithfully in general.

Also, you didn't really come off as someone who showed support, which is why people jumped at you I suppose.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Do you know what I just thought about? Sakurai releases stages before a character reveal, and we have seen through miiverse a find mii stage and Nintendogs stage. Perhaps these two stages will belong to the mii franchise, and Sakurai will release Mii as a playable character. I'm not find of it, but that's where the signs are pointing

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Do you know what I just thought about? Sakurai releases stages before a character reveal, and we have seen through miiverse a find mii stage and Nintendogs stage. Perhaps these two stages will belong to the mii franchise, and Sakurai will release Mii as a playable character. I'm not find of it, but that's where the signs are pointing
There is Miis on Nintendogs?

Arteen

Smash Lord
Sakurai (re)states the obvious, and everyone freaks out. This doesn't mean anything for Ridley, one way or the other.

The Smash series does actually respect character sizes in a broad fashion. That's why Olimar, Kirby, Pikachu and Mario are short, and Bowser, Dedede and Samus are tall. Heck, Little Mac's trailer made a big deal about how short he is. Bowser is still bigger than Mario, and Dedede is still bigger than Kirby, so everything looks fine.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
The "too big" argument was stupid to begin with, but the only issue, and the only problem Sakurai stated, is his wings. If they can fit in his wings without making him look awkward, then he'll most likely be in the game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The "too big" argument was stupid to begin with, but the only issue, and the only problem Sakurai stated, is his wings. If they can fit in his wings without making him look awkward, then he'll most likely be in the game.
Sakurai never mentioned his wings specifically. However, it's true that they are part of what could cause a problem. But with Charizard in, I don't doubt that they can do it.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Sakurai never mentioned his wings specifically. However, it's true that they are part of what could cause a problem. But with Charizard in, I don't doubt that they can do it.
Indeed. Plus, Ridley's wings are tiny more often than huge.

However, I don't Think this is the Place to talk about Ridley's playability. The Ridley thread is for that. ^^

Also, tomorrow's pic... I don't dare guess for Little Mac anymore. It will be a pic showing off the Rock and Flying Pikmin, OR a pic explaining Rosalina's Lumas.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
well here's my eternal standpoint on ridley: i don't really see it happening, but if they can make it work, i'm all for him
i believe any other discusion of ridley (being want/chances related, prediction stuff is fine as long as it doesn't go too far) should be taken to the ridley thread

EDIT: ninja'd -.-

oh and also, aren't these sizes literally the canon sizes for the characters in smash? they HAVE always been toys after all

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sakurai did bring up the one thing that I've always tried to mention to others, and that's size irrelevancy. Ridley can be sized down at will.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Today's picture:
RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY

Wait--no, the playable characters are small. . . ? B-but that means that Ridley can't be in because--no, but he can be because Sakurai's just talking about the scale relative to the doge--w-what if he's just talking about the stage--no, he's obviously talking about Ridley, I mean, come on, he's all big and small and stuff and he can fit in Smash Bros., right? But, uh, this means that size doesn't matter to Sakurai? Sakurai, and translater dude, I know you have limited space, but please make your posts less prone to misinterpretation! No, it's not me! It's them! It's all their fault that I can't read their words correctly!

Obviously, the correct interpretation of Sakurai's caption is as follows, and in actuality has very little to do with character sizes relative to eachother: The scale of the playable characters relative to the stage, not to eachother, can be changed at any time, and anyone who thinks that having a consistent size between stages matters is quite silly, for example, everyone is tiny in Nintendog stage, while everyone is normal size on the Pilotwings stage. This has very little to do with supposed 'upper bounds' of size in a character relative to other characters that Sakurai supposedly has, and if anything can be reliably said from this it is that Sakurai is bound less and less to the constraints people attempt to attribute to him.

SAKURAI DO WAT HE WAN' AN' HE DON GIBBA FOXTROT 'BOUT YO AGUMENS NICARAGUAN SO SITCHO BOODY ONNA GROUN' AN SHUDDUHP 'BOUT PATTUNS AN' PERDICTONS

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Today's picture:
RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY

Wait--no, the playable characters are small. . . ? B-but that means that Ridley can't be in because--no, but he can be because Sakurai's just talking about the scale relative to the doge--w-what if he's just talking about the stage--no, he's obviously talking about Ridley, I mean, come on, he's all big and small and stuff and he can fit in Smash Bros., right? But, uh, this means that size doesn't matter to Sakurai? Sakurai, and translater dude, I know you have limited space, but please make your posts less prone to misinterpretation! No, it's not me! It's them! It's all their fault that I can't read their words correctly!

Obviously, the correct interpretation of Sakurai's caption is as follows, and in actuality has very little to do with character sizes relative to eachother: The scale of the playable characters relative to the stage, not to eachother, can be changed at any time, and anyone who thinks that having a consistent size between stages matters is quite silly, for example, everyone is tiny in Nintendog stage, while everyone is normal size on the Pilotwings stage. This has very little to do with supposed 'upper bounds' of size in a character relative to other characters that Sakurai supposedly has, and if anything can be reliably said from this it is that Sakurai is bound less and less to the constraints people attempt to attribute to him.

SAKURAI DO WAT HE WAN' AN' HE DON GIBBA FOXTROT 'BOUT YO AGUMENS NICARAGUAN SO SITCHO BOODY ONNA GROUN' AN SHUDDUHP
Trying too hard.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
I got bored, so have some stats of how many times each character and stage appeared in a PotD!

Wii U Characters

1. Mario (24)
2. Mega Man (20)
3. Link (19)
4. Samus, Wii Fit Trainer (17)
5. Villager (14)
6. Peach (13)
7. Luigi (12)
8. Donkey Kong, Toon Link (11)
9. Marth, Pikachu, Sonic (10)
10. Bowser, Fox, Pit (9)
11. Kirby, Olimar (8)
12. Rosalina & Luma (7)
13. King Dedede, Lucario, Zelda (5)
14. Little Mac (4)

3DS Characters
1. Mega Man (6)
2. Mario, Wii Fit Trainer (5)
3. Fox, Link, Pit, Pikachu, Samus (4)
4. Kirby, Rosalina & Luma, Villager (3)
5. Donkey Kong, Luigi, Toon Link (2)
6. Bowser, Olimar, Zelda, Marth, King Dedede (1)
7. Little Mac, Lucario, Peach, Sonic (0)

Wii U Stages
1. Battlfield (41)
2. Boxing Ring (18)
3. Skyloft (16)
4. Pilot Wings Resort, Pyrosphere (14)
5. Garden of Hope (11)
6. Smashville, Mario Galaxy (10)
7. Wily's Castle (7)
8. Wii Fit Training Room (6)
9. Windy Hill Zone (2)
10. Palutena's Temple (1)

3DS Stages
1. Battlefield (8)
2. Arena Ferox, Reset Bomb Forest, Spirit Train (5)
3. New Mushroom Kingdom (3)
4. Gerudo Valley, Nintendog's Playroom, Rainbow Road (2)
5. Adventure Mode Stage, Animal Crossing Island, Find Mii (1)

WiiU/3DSCharacters Total
1. Mario (29)
2. Mega Man (26)
3. Link (23)
4. Wii Fit Trainer (22)
5. Samus (21)
6. Villager (17)
7. Luigi, Pikachu (14)
8. Donkey Kong, Fox, Peach, Pit, Toon Link (13)
9. Kirby, Marth (11)
10. Bowser, Rosalina & Luma, Sonic (10)
11. Olimar (9)
12. King Dedede, Zelda (6)
13. Lucario (5)
14. Little Mac (4)

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Having too much fun.
Fixed. When speaking someone's mind becomes more than a duty, it becomes an absolute pleasure, and what's pleasurable to me is easy, so I don't have to try hard.
The picture didn't confirm Ridley.
It just reconfirmed Olimar.
Hardly either, sir, in the context of the picture it's obvious the caption is only referring to character size relative to stage size/environment.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
When I read the "The Smash Bros. series doesn't always stay true to scale."
I knew Ridley supporters were going to delusionally conclude. :p
Said the guy who believe Prince of Sablé has any chance of being playable in Smash Bros. :troll:

Staarih

Smash Master
I suppose this will reduce the "too big"-arguments a bit, but only a full-on Ridley reveal will kill them completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom