• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
He said the playable characters are small! So small Ridley confirmed.

image.jpg

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
RIDLEY.
****IN'.
CONFIRMED.
As a scaled down stage hazard :troll:
In all seriousness though, there's been previous PotD's mentioning size, so maybe Sakurai is trying to persuade the 'too big' croud.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As a Ridley supporter.

I am happy.

Bartholin

Smash Cadet
I think it does stay true to scale considering that the characters are meant to be toys, are they not?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wow, Sakurai can make a picture of a dog turn into a debate.

Sil

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1032-1490-1609
Apparently the Nintendog pictures wield the best captions.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Err, pardon me, I meant to say...

"UGH. Sakurai RUINED the Nintendog Beagle's character! It's the Nintendog Beagle's character to be small and cuddly, and he just butchered the poor pup by bloating him up beyond all recognition. Does that monstrosity look small and cuddly to you? No, it looks like a bloody hellhound! What a joke this game has become."

Last edited:

LazerRage

Smash Cadet
NICE !! I totally expected the caption to be about how the puppy knocks the blocks around in this stage, but of course Sakurai remains as cryptic as ever.

Ridley is all the more assured.... mwuahahahaha! I still have faith he will be playable.

There's a video going around that shows a modded game with a playable RIdley next to Samus, for which the general consensus is that he looks awkward being re-sized down, making him not as Ridley-like. To that video, I say just because that one example was poorly designed, doesn't mean Sakurai's version will be! The video sized RIdley down a LOT, he could stand to be bigger and more hunched.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I am happy about that Caption (of course, doesn't confirm Ridley, BUT it means Sakurai is aware that size doesn't matter when it comes to Smash. And so far, I am believing that Ridley will be playable.

:D

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I don't think this confirms anything at all. Just a joke about the size difference.
Of course.

But this, in addition to how other characters have been modified from canon sizes, does lead to some interesting potential subtext. Didn't Sakurai once draw attention to how Kirby is eight inches tall in canon, and Olimar is only one, yet they are about the same size in the Smashverse? I could be mistaken about this, though.

Point being that he said not everything is at scale in the Smashverse. In the context of this particular POTD, the "everything" of course refers to the relative size of the characters in relation to their locales. But as we can already see without needing Sakurai to tell us, this "everything" also clearly extends to the sizes of Smash characters in relation to their canon origins.

This does not confirm anything, but it does bolster the chances of certain Smash candidates whose size has been raised again and again as a potential issue for inclusion.

*cough*ChibiRobo*cough*

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I love the way he's saying it. 'no, the playable characters are small'.

Even more proof that Ridley can't be too big for Smash in any way. Come on, Sakurai, shock-reveal with Ridley would be nice any day now!

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
This is probably the first time a caption has put me in a genuine giddy mood.
I'm pretty neutral on Ridley and the whole too bigots thing, but Sakurai poking fun here is probably the best thing that Ridley fans have seen in months.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Ooooooooooh Snap!

This should teach those Too Bigots a lesson. That Nin10doUltra guy will probably come up with some stupid excuse anyway though.

This helps Ridley's chances in a way. Doesn't mean Ridley will be playable, but the "too big" argument is pretty much dead.

Last edited:

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Ooooooooooh Snap!

This should teach those Too Bigots a lesson. That Nin10doUltra guy will probably come up with some stupid excuse anyway though.

This helps Ridley's chances in a way. Doesn't mean Ridley will be playable, but the "too big" argument is pretty much dead.
Yea lol. Same with that Shokio guy.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Miiverse is battlefield right now. Ridley's post everywhere. They didn't take too well the PoTD

D

Deleted member

DO YOU REALIZE WHAT YOU'VE DONE SAKURAI.

YOU'VE OPENED THE FLOODGATES.

PREPARE FOR UNFORESEEN CONSEQUENCES.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
For the most part, the series tries to stay true to scale.

For instance: Bowser.
In Sm4sh, Bowser is finally his official size.

Yes, Bowser has an official size. A few years back, Nintendo released a couple size charts of Mario characters. Showing that Bowser was roughly twice the size of Mario. Whether or not it was consistent did not matter, the chart showed how big Bowser typically is.

So no matter how big or small Bowser became in his series, you couldn't use Bowser's size changes to argue for Ridley's chances. After all, much of the Mario series revolves around the gameplay of growing and shrinking; a mechanic which Metroid does not share.

Which is why is was always weird for Ridley supporters to support him shrinking.

But, for this picture, it seems to me that he's implying that there ARE exceptions. I know Ganondorf was shrunk, but his size change went mostly unnoticed by both the Smash and Zelda community. (Ganondorf is pretty much twice Link's height, as Link only comes up to his waist)

But for Ridley, the size difference would be much more extreme.

If you Ridley supporters can truly support a size change of that magnitude... Well, you might just have a space dragon yet. ;)

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

Yes, Bowser has an official size. A few years back, Nintendo released a couple size charts of Mario characters. Showing that Bowser was roughly twice the size of Mario. Whether or not it was consistent did not matter, the chart showed how big Bowser typically is.

So no matter how big or small Bowser became in his series, you couldn't use Bowser's size changes to argue for Ridley's chances. After all, much of the Mario series revolves around the gameplay of growing and shrinking; a mechanic which Metroid does not share.

Which is why is was always weird for Ridley supporters to support him shrinking.

But, for this picture, it seems to me that he's implying that there ARE exceptions. I know Ganondorf was shrunk, but his size change went mostly unnoticed by both the Smash and Zelda community. (Ganondorf is pretty much twice Link's height, as Link only comes up to his waist)

If you Ridley supporters can truly support a size change of that magnitude... Well, you might just have a space dragon yet. ;)
Dude, just give up. Not even the director of the game agree with the "staying true to scale" idea. And by the way, no, the size different wouldn't be much more extreme for Ridley. I think you should hang out on Ridley's support thread more often. :p

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Sakurai has hinted waaaay too much at Ridley being in to just be trolling at this point.

After having Mac confirmed and arguing about that ring stage being his I really think a lot of these daily pics are hinting at more than people think. I have to say my optimism is high right now after getting my most wanted character revealed but I'm very hopeful other most wanted newcomers, like ridley, will be playable in this game.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
All of the fan hacks I've seen make Ridley far too small.

If the haters saw a Ridley that looks the way I and other supporters envision him (slightly taller than Bowser and hunched over while on the ground; wings and body expand / spread out when in the air), I think many would change their minds.

It's just that all of the hacks make him look weak and dinky.

Zage

Smash Journeyman
The best thing about this quote is that if Ridley somehow doesn't make it in, a massive ****storm will ensue.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Ooooooooooh Snap!

Not that it was alive to begin with. I'd rather say that this further decomposed the gruesome corpse of that "argument".

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer

Even throughout the Metroid series, Ridley's size has not remained consistent. And neither has it remained consistent in his Smashverse appearances.

Personally, I think Ridley should be between 1.1 to 1.3 times the size of Smash Bowser. So long as Ridley's proportions (and secondarily, visual design) are well-executed, then Ridley's size is utterly irrelevant. To me, anyway.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
At this point I'm waiting for the word specific arguments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom