• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest Power Rankings, January 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
ok maybe i dont understand then.

if this was panelist voted, then why do each of the players have a point number as if it was done quantitatively. from what i read (or thought i read) players received points or something for placing they got in tournaments.

also, i think we shouldn't do the midwest power rankings based on how each midwest player does against other midwest players, as it is now. it should be how they do nationally, because that's what matters.

let me spell it out for you if you haven't gotten what im saying after that..........

WHY THE **** IS EDDIE BELOW PRIME

also
AlphaZealot,Jiano, Montross, Echo, EarthBowser, D-rephen, KishSquared, KishPrime, Iggy, Dark, Tink, Trail
lets look at these panelists.

1 who isn't midwest
3 people who are Shi...........p
2 scrubs (sry EB :()
Montross (dont know him so i wont judge him)
4 sensible people

.......no wonder why prime got higher than eddie

exarch said:
Y'all rock washerboard abs hardcore style
hey next time if your gonna totally rip me off then at least try and give me SOME credit thx

14. KishSquared
....................how is that............possible?.....................am i high right now?

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
ok maybe i dont understand then.

if this was panelist voted, then why do each of the players have a point number as if it was done quantitatively. from what i read (or thought i read) players received points or something for placing they got in tournaments.

also, i think we shouldn't do ,the midwest power rankings based on how each midwest player does against other midwest players, as it is now. it should be how they do nationally, because that's what matters.

let me spell it out for you if you haven't gotten what im saying after that..........

WHY THE **** IS EDDIE BELOW PRIME

also

lets look at these panelists.

1 who isn't midwest
3 people who are Shi...........p
2 scrubs (sry EB :()
Montross (dont know him so i wont judge him)
4 sensible people

.......no wonder why prime got higher than eddie

hey next time if your gonna totally rip me off then at least try and give me SOME credit thx

....................how is that............possible?.....................am i high right now?
Before you even try calling me ****, realize that you're far worse than I am. It was panel voted, each person on the panel submitted a list, the ranking each person got on the list was given a point value, and that is how. Look at the colors and the pointbreaks and see how close they were.

So it takes multiple people for Prime to be above Eddie, and guess what, I wasn't one of them. So stop assuming that everyone is biased. Why weren't you on the panel then if you cared so much about the results? Did you apply to be? Or did you think it would just be that much more fun to ***** about the end results?

Now look at the people in which both of these people have beaten during the circuit. At FRI Prime beat Dope and Tink twice, and won the tournament. Edie lost to both Tink and Dope. Neither of them went to cokII. At SMYM6 neither of them placed well, Prime one spot worse. Prime lost to Dope(1) and Jiano(unlisted but 16), and Eddie lost to Mathos(10) and Mikey(15). Neither of them beat anyone significant at SMYM.

It can easily be seen how people would put Prime over Eddie simply because of this reason alone. Looking at performance specifically, Prime did better THIS ranking period. It's not an absolute list, but Prime has done well THIS period. It's not easy to beat Dope and Tink in tournaments.

It was said in the begining of the thread to base the results mostly off midwest tournaments, though MLG could be used as well. I did mostly Midwest tournaments, combined with how I actually feel having played against them, and my list... was somewhat accurate to the final one, with a few exceptions. If I would have analyzed it as thoroughly as I did right now because you complained so much, I probably would have put Prime over Eddie as well, look at the reults.

Rick you are a cool person in real life, but on the boards your points seem irrational. Like I said, my initial list had Eddie above Prime as well, but if you look at the matchups they've had this period, and see who's done better Prime should be above due to his performance this period.

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
Before you even try calling me ****, realize that you're far worse than I am. It was panel voted, each person on the panel submitted a list, the ranking each person got on the list was given a point value, and that is how. Look at the colors and the pointbreaks and see how close they were.

So it takes multiple people for Prime to be above Eddie, and guess what, I wasn't one of them. So stop assuming that everyone is biased. Why weren't you on the panel then if you cared so much about the results? Did you apply to be? Or did you think it would just be that much more fun to ***** about the end results?

Now look at the people in which both of these people have beaten during the circuit. At FRI Prime beat Dope and Tink twice, and won the tournament. Edie lost to both Tink and Dope. Neither of them went to cokII. At SMYM6 neither of them placed well, Prime one spot worse. Prime lost to Dope(1) and Jiano(unlisted but 16), and Eddie lost to Mathos(10) and Mikey(15). Neither of them beat anyone significant at SMYM.

It can easily be seen how people would put Prime over Eddie simply because of this reason alone. Looking at performance specifically, Prime did better THIS ranking period. It's not an absolute list, but Prime has done well THIS period. It's not easy to beat Dope and Tink in tournaments.

It was said in the begining of the thread to base the results mostly off midwest tournaments, though MLG could be used as well. I did mostly Midwest tournaments, combined with how I actually feel having played against them, and my list... was somewhat accurate to the final one, with a few exceptions. If I would have analyzed it as thoroughly as I did right now because you complained so much, I probably would have put Prime over Eddie as well, look at the reults.

Rick you are a cool person in real life, but on the boards your points seem irrational. Like I said, my initial list had Eddie above Prime as well, but if you look at the matchups they've had this period, and see who's done better Prime should be above due to his performance this period.
1. what is "this period".
2. shouldn't a list be based not on 3 midwest results (which you just said they are), but how good the player is in general.
3. wouldn't you say that a player who does well nationally is better than one who doesnt go to national tournaments at all?
4. i didn't submit mine because i knew my list would be way too biased (Shi.......p should have taken a lesson from that example). my list is 1-14 = eddie and 15 = mike nasty. and im not even joking.
5. don't you think it would have been logical for their to have been some sort of qualification for panelist, instead of letting people like EB and Echo vote while people like cunning, crash, tapion, etc, etc, etc didnt vote at all (and dont give me that "oh they didn't do it voluntarily" bull**** cuz if you would have asked them to they would have)?

edit: also, why ISNT this an "absolute list". it should be a list of who is better, not who did better. just because ken lost to kdj last mlg doesnt mean he isn't #1 anymore.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
1. what is "this period".
2. shouldn't a list be based not on 3 midwest results (which you just said they are), but how good the player is in general.
3. wouldn't you say that a player who does well nationally is better than one who doesnt go to national tournaments at all?
4. i didn't submit mine because i knew my list would be way too biased (Shi.......p should have taken a lesson from that example). my list is 1-14 = eddie and 15 = mike nasty. and im not even joking.
5. don't you think it would have been logical for their to have been some sort of qualification for panelist, instead of letting people like EB and Echo vote while people like cunning, crash, tapion, etc, etc, etc didnt vote at all (and dont give me that "oh they didn't do it voluntarily" bull**** cuz if you would have asked them to they would have)?
1. It was since the start of the Midwest Circuit. Notice how the results were posted on the first page since the start.
2. I'd assume results would also show somewhat of how capable a player is in general. And it's not pure results, it's more of WHO beat WHO look at who Prime beat, look at who Eddie beat.
3. Yes, and a player that does well nationally should do well locally and regionally too shouldnt they? I mean, the talent pool is weaker, they should win.
4. Notice how my list wasn't biased for Prime? I had Eddie ABOVE Prime, if anything my list was biased FOR Eddie. Some people have the ability to cast aside bias and actually look at the results.
5. There were 3 qualifications originally listed, and anyone that WANTED to apply and met the criteria could, but guess what, nobody applied in person, and they proceeded to not apply online either, except the panelists that exist now. It was made clear that all you had to do was apply, and that was left up for a long while, they chose not to apply, they chose not to vote. I don't know why you ask me to not give you the ""oh they didn't do it voluntarily" bull****" when it happens to be the truth. I'm sorry, that's the truth.

edit:
edit: also, why ISNT this an "absolute list". it should be a list of who is better, not who did better. just because ken lost to kdj last mlg doesnt mean he isn't #1 anymore.
It's just like how the national list is done, at the start you just use the first period, then you work from there. We had no prior results, so this period was how we could gain basic knowledge. Eddie can easily start playing well and move way up the list.

Echo

Smash Champion
Magmum Opus said:
Because people like EB and myself both try to make it to every event we possibly can, and as I couldnt make it to FRI or COKII, i made it to SMYM and will be at FoB, and now with the help of Dark's crew, we should be able to make all of the next circuit.

The fact that prime put people like us into the panel is getting him unbiased votes, becuase no one from Nebraska or Iowa is on the list, or even got voted for. Meaning that we are voting straight up for people we think should be where they are on the list. And with that unbiased opinion, we look at not only who beat who, who placed where, but also where people stand in tournaments outside of the midwest, especially MLG. Why do you think I put Dope over Darkrain? Dope does better outside of the midwest than darkrain does. We may be farther West away from things than you, but that doesnt mean we're stupid.

I know that I can't speak for EB, but whenever I'm over there in IL/IN i'm always trying ot get friendlies with alot of the people there, people that i havent played, I know there are still some out there that I need to get to with that, such as Trail, Iggy, and Tink, and others out there, too. I try to get to know everyone as well as I can, and for good reason. But with the fact that I'll actually be able to travel alot more and play just as much as anyone else, and to my understanding, thats what this circuit is for, to get people together for these tournaments. We're part of this region, and we're both respectable people that arent going to make **** up for any specific persons benefit.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Everyone just ignore Rick and maybe he'll go away ^_^

After all, this is the Ship's attempt to get Prime ranked #1, and we must not let Rick interfere!!

Squared's totally awesome and unbiased list:
1. KishPrime
2. Ignatius
3. Prime
4. Tim Kish
5. AOB

EDIT: I'm just kidding about #5, I actually voted for Tim instead of AOB. And I think Iggy may have been a few slots down, I can't really remember.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Magnum: I'm assuming when you mention a person who "isn't midwest" your talking about me. Considering I've been in the midwest now for the last 3 months and will continue to be here for the next 4-6 years I think I can safely say I'm midwest now. I'm also EC, but I don't see any reason why I can't represent both. This is ignoring that I've been to CoK and SMYM and will be at FoB (how many of these have you been too?) as well as regularly smashing with CoK.

The hypocritical part is that you brought that up, but also brought up a person (namely Eddie) receiving more credit for what he does nationally. Well, considering I've been to 5 MLG's this year (missing Dallas and the New York playoffs), I think I can safely say that I can judge just what quantifies a player as capable on a national level. Joe Bushman placed 9th at MLG Chicago, beating Rob$ and Caveman before losing to Ken and Azen. Eddie beat Kaiser (you know, from the EC), before losing to ChuDat and Isai.

The problem is that Eddie use to be the best, not being from the midwest though I never really delt with that mentallity (I'm entering in as mostly unbiased), for me the best were ChuDat, Azen, Neo, and Chillin. So, coming to the midwest, recently, I'm making my judgements based on the way things ARE, not how they use to be. Eddie is a great player, but he isn't in the top tier that he use to be (I think he even admits this).

As for Ken, I think it is okay for the time being to say he is still the best, but he has dropped 3 straight tournaments, and if you exclude OC2, he is at a 9-3 disadvantage against KoreanDJ. KoreanDJ can't beat PC Chris (quite yet). And PC Chris may not be able to beat Ken. So there is kinda a 3 way tie at the top currently (excluding Azen and ChuDat. Azen, who lost to PC Chris and Ken but can beat KoreanDJ and ChuDat, and ChuDat who can't beat Ken or Azen but can beat KoreanDJ and PC Chris). At some point we can't keep calling Ken the best, for now it's okay, but only because he has proven before to come back (but never after 3 straight loses, this is unprecedented).

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Not to butt in on this post war or anything, but I just want to say one thing.

Having the color yellow all to myself on the list makes me feel special.

That is all, good sirs. Continue.

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
alphazealot for africa team 2007 yeah!!!!!!!

and whos to say eddie couldn't have beat caveman or rob$? thats why judging the player based on tourney brackets can be false.

but after talking to drew, who told me the way people voted, i now apologize for my previous comments. however, at the time, not knowing the way people voted, i was totally justified in posting that.

BUT that isnt an excuse for how bad this ranking is

DYC

Smash Champion
10/30/2006
Prime Creates Midwest Power Rankings Thread.

10/31/2006
Midwest Power Rankings Thread

KishPrime said:
I'll take applications at SMYM in person.

Active is a loose word, but basically I just want you to be able to say "I know who HoChiMinhTrail is," since he's the one we all forget about.

Major would be somewhere where you have seen a good portion of the Midwest in person. In the last 6 months, that would basically be FC6 or a Midwest Circuit event. If you are in the outlying states, just reference the biggest tournament that you have been to recently.

Seriously though, I'm not trying to be stringent, but I want to make sure people have been around for awhile.

11/06/2006
Power Rankings Thread

KishPrime said:
Nobody signed up in person so I have like 5 panelists.

11/09/2006
Power Rankings Thread

KishPrime said:
I still hold that everyone is welcome. Unfortunately, I have been ridiculously busy upon returning from SMYM and haven't had a chance to turn my attentions to this. I am hoping to have a vote by FoB5: FoB6, and also post-championship. I'll set the deadline for applications at one week from tomorrow.

11/16/2006
Power Rankings Thread

KishPrime said:
Yeah people need to sign up...soon. If you aren't in by Friday at midnight you won't be voting. I already have about ten people.

11/17/2006
WI Discussion thread. + about 7 other Midwest Threads.

KishPrime said:
Just spamming a few threads. Apply TODAY for the Midwest Power Rankings if you want a ballot for the first round of voting!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=88207

BigGman

Smash Journeyman
could you guys take my name off of the list please, and no longer use it for future lists. i find this type of stuff pointless and distracting. thanks.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
I've had other people ask that, but here's the situation:
1. You participate in a public forum
2. You compete for the public's money in the form of prizes
Therefore, you have to be willing to be judged by the public. It's no different than what we all say about each other anyway, it's just put into a numerical form. You have to option not to read it, and you have the option to participate, however they are officially allowed as a part of this forum. If you'd like to have them ceased, please talk to Omni or one of the admins.

KishPrime

BRoomer
To panelists I would just like to say, good work. I can tell that people made a great effort to get these as accurate as possible. I also am happy that personal bias was left out of this. I feel very strongly that all participants took the time and effort to construct a great ballot. I will send out the anonymous ballots by e-mail soon.

Some people would be surprised if I released the ballots publicly. Most people on the list varied over at least 7 spots, if not more. It averaged out nicely.

Hoefler

BRoomer
Tim, that's really lame.

All of those panelists know Eddie personally and wouldn't have a problem with taking his name off the list if he asked them in person. Why don't you just do it as a favor to Eddie?

KishPrime

BRoomer
Do you realize that doing so for Eddie and the others who have asked me would eliminate the entire point of this? We'd have to make a separate list of "people who asked not to be on the list," or the rankings would appear ridiculous to anyone who looked at them.

I'm also confused because Eddie was an active participant on the national panel, and both contributed and allowed his name for consideration in the national panel for almost a year.

Either they are legal or they are not. If they are legal, we're going to do it right. If they aren't, we won't post them at all. I'm not going to be inconsistent with this.

viperboy_74

Smash Master
would making a list of people that don't want to be on the list be considered an oxymoron? lol....

:).

anyway, prime i think ur doing pretty well organizing the list, keep it up.

oh, and AZ is officially MW. he was initiated at my place the night after SMYM... :)

Tink

Smash Hero
:DDDDD. thats one dollar to me sir!

i think the list came out fine. im not going to lie, i TOTALLY didnt look at placings/records of anybody ><, but i will for the next one.

with that being said, i think that this can really make people motivated to try harder to get higher on the list. atlast it makes me want to, gotta have a fox in the top 3.

Tapion013

Smash Lord
Sorry, no dollar for you, I said to PM me, not to post it publically in the thread. Sorry

P.S. How's the Wii?

P.S.S. thanks for voting for me. Is it cuz I was the only one to take a game from you at HJ4?

Tink

Smash Hero
rofl, i just think your a good player that doesnt get to go many places and show it. at smym, you got ****** in pools <_<.

Nike

Smash Apprentice
after looking at this list i think it's obvious that the letter D is top tier.

serious congrats to everyone who made top 15

Dopey

Smash Lord
sorry senor cunning, but mr Jiano is also his own shade. looks like your just another color in the box jus like the rest of us, gg. no ones special except wattyman! <33333

KishPrime

BRoomer
We will be voting again in two weeks. Please submit any brackets for consideration to be updated in the first post. I'd like to take a survey of panelists to find out if they would like Round Robin wins/losses to be included in future statistics.

If you wish to join the panel, follow the directions in the first post and contact me. The deadline for new apps for the new vote is going to be Dec. 13th.

KishPrime

BRoomer
As a separate point, if any state is interested in running a power rankings, please PM me. I'll keep them all in my first post so they are all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom