• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest Honor Society (STANDINGS HAVE BEEN UPDATED 4/29/07)

Cherokee Warrior

Smash Ace
What are Honor Points?
Honor Points are not affiliated with rankings of players' winnings in the MW. However, they DO rank a player's honor.

What is the purpose of Honor Points?
To unite the Midwest in some much needed fun. This is not meant to offend or hurt anyone. If you think you are or will be offended/hurt, then please post your smash name and request to be excluded from the rankings and the fun. If you do not request such, then you will be included in the party that is the Midwest Honor Society by default.

Who invented Honor Points?
Cra$hman, in the White 4 thread.

What is honorable?
Not using broken characters / Using Low Tier.

How do I earn Honor Points?
By playing Low Tier / not using broken characters in BRACKET MATCHES. You get honor points per set based on the average point value of the characters you used, always rounding to the higher absolute value. Here is the formula:

(Sum of character point values used in every match)/(# of matches)

For example, if you used ganon twice in a set, the calcuations are as follows:

((+6)+(+6))/2 = +6 honor points

If you used ganon once, falcon once, and fox once, the calculations are as follows:

((+6)+(+0)+(-10))/3 = -4/3 honor points = -2 honor points after rounding

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU WIN OR LOSE, HONOR IS NOT ABOUT WINNING OR LOSING.

You also get +3 points for counterpicking with the random button and +1 point for not banning a stage.

Upon popular demand, if you win with a low tier, then your bonus is you just won with a low tier.

Also, a player can earn the title, “M.V.L.T. Award” (most valuable low tier). This is worth +100 points.

WE CAN GIVE POINTS FOR ANYTHING HONORABLE.

Can I get punished for being dishonorable?
Yes, you can. Here are some crimes and punishments.

Stale moves = -1 point. It is the burden of the opponent to ask you to check your stats to see if you have stale moves.

Sandbagging = We will be using the HONOR (need i even tell you its a pun?) system when it comes to effort in matches. If you are caught sandbagging, then you will receive a warning. If you are caught sandbagging again, then you will be kicked out of the Honor Society. You can get back into the honor society. You can stay in the honor society if you accept a punishment that the panel gives you. The punishment will vary depending on the situation / whim of the panel.

Johns = We will give penalties based on the severity of the johns.

WE CAN DEDUCT POINTS FOR ANYTHING WE CONSIDER DISHONORABLE.

Who can earn Honor Points?
I'm removing preregistration. If you want to be apart of this just find me at a tourney that is doing this and I will add you. I will also go around asking if people want to do it.

We will have a designated area at each tournament. It will be pretty noticeable. You will report your matches (including counterpicks and everything else) there. Honor (pun) System.

If you would like to volunteer your services, post up. There is no criteria for joining the "panel" other than loving smash, loving/hating tiers (either is fine), and knowing what honor is.

The Panel =
Me
BigD
Eddie
Cra$hman
Captain Awesome
(wow did i actually type that so that the names get longer and longer? cool.)

How many points do I earn for using *insert character here*?
Here is a list of the points you would earn. First take the point value assigned for their tier grouping, then add the points designated to the right of the character. For example, Luigi is in Low Tier, so he earns +10 honor points, and then +1 more honor point for his ranking within Low Tier.

Top Tier: (-10 Honor Points)
Fox (+0)
Falco (+1)

High Tier: (-5 Honor Points)
Sheik (+0)
Marth (+1)
Peach (+2)

Middle Tier: (+/-0 Honor Points)
Captain Falcon (+0)
Ice Climbers (+1)
Samus (+2)
Doctor Mario (+3)
Jigglypuff (+4)
Mario (+5)
Ganondorf (+6)

Low Tier: (+10 Honor Points)
Link (+0)
Luigi (+1)
Donkey Kong (+2)
Roy (+3)
Young Link (+4)
Pikachu (+5)

Bottom Tier: (+20 Honor Points)
Yoshi (+0)
Zelda (+1)
Mr. Game and Watch (+2)
Ness (+3)
Bowser (+4)
Kirby (+5)
Pichu (+6)
Mewtwo (+7)

Who wins and what do I get for winning?
There are lots of winners in this game. Namely, you, for not being a tier *****. And also, namely, you, for being a tier *****. Here are the prize winners / prizes:

Most Points:
1 Card-board crown
1 Card-board scepter
1 doll / action figure of a low tier character of your choice (preferably the one you used most)
1 Sleep over at your favorite Midwest Smasher's house. Sleep over includes but is not limited to:
1 autographed photo of reasonable quality of the smasher provided by the smasher.
1 dinner at a sit down restaraunt of the winner's choice
3 hours minimum of smashing

Participating Midwest Smashers who would accept a sleep over proposal (will be updated):
BigD
BigC
Eddie J. Howells
MB-Smash
Ruben the Darker
Tink
Trail
Jukes
Drephen
Kishprime
Viperboy
Jiano

PLEASE POST IF YOUD LIKE TO BE INCLUDED ON THIS LIST. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE FAMOUS TO BE ON THIS LIST, ANYONE IS WELCOME

2nd Most Points:
1 Hug(S) from your favorite Midwest Smasher (picture will be taken and framed)
1 $10 gift certificate to Hot Topic

3rd Most Points:
1 pat on the back / handshake hybrid from your favorite Midwest Smasher (picture will be taken and framed)

Least Points:
"Rainbow Cruise Reenactment Toy" = 1 Toy Ship with 1 jigglypuff toy, 1 fox toy, and 1 peach toy on the ship. “Notice how the toys stand still in the same place” - Crashman
Also, You keep your prize money from tournaments

SPECIAL BONUS AWARD:

"Low Tier" Achievement Award:
There are no criteria for winning this, other than achieving something very "Low Tier". There is also no limit to the number of recipients.

THE PRIZE FOR THIS AWARD IS VERY SPECIAL AND VERY SECRET. The best way to describe this prize is "too good".

btw, heres a picture to put on in your tournament page:

notice how i made it a button linking to this thread. you should do that too. if you dont know how pm me.

CURRENT STANDINGS:
Tournaments played so far = Huge Johns 2

1. Sliq = +79 + MVLT = +179!!! +LOW TIER ACHIEVEMENT AWARD!!!
2. DaBearX = +173 (all zelda all day!)
3. Jiano = +82
4. Crashman = +46
5. KirkQ = -72 + MVLT = +28
6. Ramon Noodles = +19
7. Hoefler = +10
8. BigC = +6
9. BigD = +2
10. Tapion = -5
11. 5150 = -25
12. Mundungu = -38
13. Eddie = -68
14. Pete Chen = -104
15. MyNiggaNameDante = -115
16. Viperboy = -117
17. Tink = -125

BigGman

Smash Journeyman
+6 for gannon. it should be a little higher, considering he's the worst character in the game. other than that, point system looks interesting.

Cherokee Warrior

Smash Ace
remember, we need volunteers at every major tourney to try and keep track of who uses who.

also, the roy will be busted out.

also, added a new prize for the least honorable, at the request of Dope

FlipX

Smash Ace
A 10 dollar gift certificate to hot topic.... Why dont you just punch them in the face =/

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
there should be bonus honor points if you use all of your characters moves to their full potential. a zelda player who just spams kicks all days isn't being very honorable, but a zelda who KO's with downtilt in the appropriate situation (not edgeguarding) is being very honorable by not getting stale moves.

Cherokee Warrior

Smash Ace
there should be bonus honor points if you use all of your characters moves to their full potential. a zelda player who just spams kicks all days isn't being very honorable, but a zelda who KO's with downtilt in the appropriate situation (not edgeguarding) is being very honorable by not getting stale moves.
i TOTALLY agree with this.

ill change the rules to counteract this bull**** right now.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
I think if you use any tier below High in later matches (semi-finals? finals, for sure) there should be an honor bonus. Winning a tournament with low tier and asking for bonus points is just bragging so it should be a set rate if you just play with them.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
I don't understand. So basically whoever plays Mewtwo and goes to the most tournaments automatically wins, as long as he doesn't counter to non-neutrals?

<_<

Also I think I have a shot at winning.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
no kishprime, because you get more points for sets you play. If a mewtwo shows up and never makes it out of pools, they arent in the list. Even so, that would be incredibly honorable to travel and pay money just to lose every match with their favorite character.

Cherokee Warrior

Smash Ace
I don't understand. So basically whoever plays Mewtwo and goes to the most tournaments automatically wins, as long as he doesn't counter to non-neutrals?
<_<
yep, but watch out for stale moves.

Also I think I have a shot at winning.
as in the game starfox, "GOOD LUCK!"

falco is so much gayer than fox could ever be
mew2king, after seeing you play, i totally disagree.

KishPrime

BRoomer
If it's by set, in Midwest Circuit events I might actually be leading this. I'll have to go back and add it up. I think Bushman is my main competition.

Cherokee Warrior

Smash Ace
I do believe honor points should be given for players who don't cheat with techniques like SHFFLS and wavedashes and A attacks
if wavedash isnt honorable i dont know what is

idk i think u lose points for spamming the rest in teams :p as i lose points for using chain grabs on dope.
hmm.......good idea on the chaingrab causing minus points....ill look into it

also i added a button to put on your tourney page if you are going to be supporting the Midwest Honor Society

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
The last huge tourny I went to was smym6...Im pretty sure AOB was the only other low tier that placed.

Cardboard crown, here I come!

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
The points system is a bit off. Why is using G&W worth 10 points more than using DK?

And why does the least points prize sound better than the most points prize?

Cherokee Warrior

Smash Ace
The points system is a bit off. Why is using G&W worth 10 points more than using DK?
its been scientifically calculated that game and watch is 10 honor points worse. you can argue with facts.

And why does the least points prize sound better than the most points prize?
thats a matter of opinion. i know that zig-zag is actually sexually excited for the crown and sceptre.

oh, and you WOULD want the rainbow cruise reenactment wouldnt you.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Cherokee, we've had some major disagreements in the past. But all I can say is that you'd better hold your word on giving out that ship with a Fox, Peach, and Jigglypuff on it. It shall be my prize possession!

EDIT: Actually, Tink and Cunning will probably beat me out since they're better than me at chain-grabbing :ohwell:

KishPrime

BRoomer
I think stage-countering will help you though. You need to pick Poke Floats more.

If we retroactively count points, I think I'd have a decent lead. No one has ever kept track of my stale moves. ^_^

Cherokee Warrior

Smash Ace
i wish i could do voting on this forum. not only could i make hilarious topics, but then we could see if we want to retroactively count points.

also, can everyone see the picture on the first post?

oh and squared, idk why you want a rainbow cruise reenactment toy so bad....its really a pretty dishonorable metaph...i mean stage

KishSquared

Smash Master
C'mon Rick, we don't need another RC debate, haha.

Besides, that to doesn't represent anything dishonorable. It represents the select few able to overcome some of the most difficult aspects of this game, such as stage control and spacing. I can't wait to take it to every tournament with me, for all to gaze upon.

I'ma practice my chain-grabbing. I can't let Tink and Cunning steal it from me!

Top Bottom