• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midnight Release Plans?

D

Deleted member

Absolutely. Assuming the place I preorder it from will have a midnight release, I'll go.

SmashCast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EpicPJ516
Yep. I am going to a midnight release with some friends, and we'll play the Wii U version probs all night :3

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
If either are on a weekend, yes.
With my new living situation at Job Corps I have a 10pm curfew, but only on weekdays.
So here's hoping for a Friday release.

SpLSlick

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpLSlick
3DS FC
3540-1397-4329
Probably going to just get the digital copy from the eshop store or pick it up at one of those mom and pop stores a day or two early....Depends on how I feel that day lol

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
Midnight digital release. It's a lot more convenient, and i can play it instantly!!! Gotta load on coffee though.

RockerJay

Smash Cadet
NNID
flutterjay
I would love to see GameStop do midnight launches for the 3DS version. Seeing as it's as hyped as it is, I think GS having midnight launches is a big possibility. I think the only reason why they wouldn't is because October 3rd is a Friday, so it would be a school/work night for a lot of people. Thoughts?

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
How would getting SSB4 several hours earlier not be better? Why not midnight launch?

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
unlikely as Gamestop doesn't usually do Midnight releases for Nintendo games or at least the one I go to doesn't.

Last edited:

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
If it is on a Friday, I'll be going to a midnight release after school and playing that game.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure it can vary by manager decision, but the Gamestop I went to in college used a rule of no midnight releases unless there were at least 100 reserves for the game. That said, the one for Pokemon X/Y was packed, so they obviously were well over the number they needed, so I bet my friends still on campus will be getting one for Smash too.

I know Brawl got a midnight release lots of places too (the one in a mall back home got one, and there couldn't have been more than 20 people there when I picked it up at midnight), so I would guess Smash 4 will get one many places.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
The bigger question is, will it be released for DOWNLOAD at midnight? Or heck, maybe earlier depending on time zones?

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
The bigger question is, will it be released for DOWNLOAD at midnight? Or heck, maybe earlier depending on time zones?
If it'll be available for download at Midnight, i'll do a happy dance. I can't wait for this game.

Young Marth

Smash Apprentice
I've talked to gamestop employees about it before. It depends on how many pre-orders it gets at a store. Say store X gets 250 pre-orders and store Y only gets 50 pre-orders, store X will have it and store Y won't.

Kiondrick

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1650-3088-1736
You know I've been debating whether or not I would walk to my Gamespot at midnight to pick up the game. I thought better of it in the end because my neighborhood can be a little dangerous at times. I think I'll just pick mines up early Friday morning.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
If there is a midnight launch around here I won't be going. I haven't yet and don't plan on it. :p

Young Marth

Smash Apprentice
You know I've been debating whether or not I would walk to my Gamespot at midnight to pick up the game. I thought better of it in the end because my neighborhood can be a little dangerous at times. I think I'll just pick mines up early Friday morning.

Ugh i hate being a junior. I'll have school. I'm gonna have to go at midnight. I'm not waiting till 5-7 PM to get it.

Kiondrick

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1650-3088-1736
Yep, the joys at being a college student and having your Gamestop 20 minutes away from your house is awesome. :) (I can't believe until just recently though I never realized just how close the store was from where I live. Would have saved me a lot of trouble...)

Young Marth

Smash Apprentice
Yep, the joys at being a college student and having your Gamestop 20 minutes away from your house is awesome. :) (I can't believe until just recently though I never realized just how close the store was from where I live. Would have saved me a lot of trouble...)

duuuude mine's less than 10 minutes away tho!! lol

Last edited:

Kiondrick

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1650-3088-1736
Well, 20 minutes is kind of inaccurate. It overall depends on how fast I walk. I think I can actually get there in about 10-15 minutes at most. (I"m really bad at guestimations. :p)

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I don't care about if Gamestop does a midnight launch as long as there's an eShop midnight launch. And there always is.

I'm always up at Midnight anyway, so I can even buy it before the inevitable server crashes start.

It's a good thing SSB3D's exactly the kind of game I want a permanent installation of.

Young Marth

Smash Apprentice
I don't care about if Gamestop does a midnight launch as long as there's an eShop midnight launch. And there always is.

I'm always up at Midnight anyway, so I can even buy it before the inevitable server crashes start.

It's a good thing SSB3D's exactly the kind of game I want a permanent installation of.
Lol have fun waiting hours for it download while i wait in a line that lasts longer
*swag out*

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Lol have fun waiting hours for it download while i wait in a line that lasts longer
*swag out*
While I'll just be sleeping as soon as the download starts, waking up when it's done.

I'll already have hours of practice and a stable, rested mind under my belt while you're just getting home, driving illegally fatigued. :p

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I'm a GameStop employee.

GameStop midnights are always based on 2 things: the preorders for the game, and the percentage of sales the respective company provides for that store.

So my store, only 7% of sales are from Nintendo. So we didn't even have a midnight for the Wii U or Mario Kart 8.

However, we have over 100 preorders on Smash Bros. So my manager said we'll have a midnight for it.

Its also based on manager discretion, as well as NINTENDO's say in the matter. Nintendo can dictate what GameStop stores can have a midnight release as well.

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
Is anyone here planning on getting the game at midnight? I'm in the US and just called a few Gamestops and it looks like there are no plans to do a midnight release there. I could download, but I always prefer to have a physical copy :p

I think I may go the Walmart route, but I've have some pretty bad luck with them. I tried to get Mario Kart 8 after midnight and they had no idea what I was talking about and couldn't sell me the game.

Do you guys have plans/advice for getting the game at midnight?

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
I have it preorderd from GameStop so there going to hopefully ship the game to me. Does anybody know how long that'll take? lol

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
Yeah I pre-ordered from GameStop as well and have not heard anything about a midnight release. I would definitely be there if they have one though.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
It's based upon how many pre-orders that have been made. If it exceeds a certain amount, there will be a midnight release. I believe this applies to every Game Stop.
So yeah, I'm not worried.....Smash is an insanely popular game. We're bound to have a midnight release for almost everywhere.

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
I've pre-ordered the game, so I hope they do that thing where they ship it a day or two early. That's normally pretty awesome.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
I'm going to bed and heading over when I get up. I don't see the point of staying up til midnight so my first experience with the game is when I'm tired. I'd rather get a nice sleep, have breakfast, grab the game, and then play all day.

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
I'm going to bed and heading over when I get up. I don't see the point of staying up til midnight so my first experience with the game is when I'm tired. I'd rather get a nice sleep, have breakfast, grab the game, and then play all day.
I have class the next day and it's also me and my boyfriend's anniversary so I'll be pretty busy during the day. It would be pretty bad if I played smash all day (as tempted as I might be), so I want to get some play time in the night before. He doesn't have a 3DS so that rules out us playing together.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I live too far from gamestop to get there easily so digital is my only option. I will be downloading it on release and eating some good food waiting to do some release day crew battles.

Top Bottom