• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Middle of the Ohio Tournament III 9/13/08 [Melee only]

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
4%- I still didn't get to play you in singles. Your Fox is great but I want to see this amazing Jiggs Chuck tells me of.
Xyt- Nice Sheik. I enjoyed our matches and learned a lot about the matchup.
Swiftbass- ****. We did pretty good against you and Xyt in doubles but I guess it wasn't enough. Also, I would like to play you again in a singles match. I should have went with my gut and picked a stage so you would play Fox instead of Falco in crews. Those lasers suck, not to mention I COMPLETELY choked and played like a ******. Good **** tho.
Drephen- What can I say. You're a beast. I'm actually kind of surprised we did as well as we did against you and BigR in doubles. When I was playing against you it felt like you were inside my head every time I moved. Congratulations on 1st.
BigR- I'm kind of upset that our friendly was interrupted by a tourney match but, your Falco is pretty mean and I prolly would have lost anyways. Good **** in teams also.
X- Didn't get to play you this time but I saw your fox in crews. I was more impressed by your Sheik when you played at Smash on the Lawn, tho.
D20- Our matches were pretty janky. I don't know that matchup very well but that's not really an excuse for how badly I played. It's nice to see someone break the mold and main a low tier.
Soap- Good friendlies, man. Your Sheik is too good. See you at Momo's most likely and we'll play some more.
BigD/Juke- You guys are cool as hell. Good luck at Event 52 if you end up going.
Quivo- Welcome back to Melee! See you at Season's Beatings hopefully. And if you DO go we should team.
Paradigm- Sorry about the double CFs, heh. Your Samus is still awesome. And Chuck will be most likely be at Momo's so you better come!
Luigi Player- Sorry for the 4-stock. Your Luigi looks pretty basic but keep at it and play me again sometime.

To the Hosts- Nice venue and very well organized. Hope to see more of these although I prolly won't show up for the Brawl ones.

soap

Smash Hero
d20 i won the set. u cant even fastfall with that character stop getting lava johned on lol.
lava>lava>falco uair KO combo was too funny... i chirped in "3 hit Comboooo" but u guys were stonyfaced so i jus shut up

2-tone that marth is real solid, keep playing dude, the only advice i have is to sometimes just stop swinging and start walking around all dope style like once u got em in shield it looks funny plus is good pressure if u do it right.

also whats the deal with crews? i know it'll take forever to upload but jus update us, i wanna watch the swift genocide.. he was seriously tomahawking our babies

.Rance.

Smash Apprentice
This isn't official or anything, but I think it's safe to say we're going to make these melee only. We were at my house last night, talking about what we wanted to do with the next one. We stuck in the brawl disc, and it came out 15 mins later. (would've been shorter, but teams are kinda fun in brawl)

Power outages are ****** columbus, so we'll have to wait a while before we can go reserve the place for the next time. We're also looking for a new venue for the future, hopefully get from 30 people up towards 40-50.

I guess, last thing I was wondering was if we had this again, same setup and all with melee doubles and singles. Would people rather have pools for melee, or crew battles? I think we'd have time for at least one, but not both. Then again, I have to run through some math and se how long pools would take. I guess pools would be for seeding, not for cutting people out of brackets.

EDIT: Soap- Aquteen decided to do the editing himself, and now his internet is down or some stupid **** so he can't upload it. I guess it'll be up once he gets the net

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Sounds good to me. I'd be happy to attend more of these. I'm progressively getting back up to speed, and I need good competition to keep it up. :)

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Then again, I have to run through some math and se how long pools would take. I guess pools would be for seeding, not for cutting people out of brackets.
luckily unless Chu shows up to one of these, pools wont take forever. PLUS, since no one is getting knocked out ppl will probably play through them without sitting there trying to figure out the pool sheet forever. from my experiences with 30-40 ppls pools take an hour give or take .5 hrs.(ppl takin forever in between games and things like jiggs/samus)

thx a bunch for taking it into consideration

4% APR

Smash Champion
Pools are fine, but normally take longer than they're worth. If you do normal 4-5 man crews, the problem there is that almost every time there will be a supercrew that no one wants to play against, so no one enters. Which is perfectly reasonable since they don't want to get 15 stocked. I had fun with the draft crews since they are more even. Low tiers are always fun too. Whatever you want to add is fine with me, but everything takes way longer than you would expect.

edit-swift has a good point though, If you get good pool captains that will get things done quickly, you could definitely get them done within a reasonable time frame.

.Rance.

Smash Apprentice
I guess I don't really know a lot about pools..

Is there some thread I could read that explains them in some detail?

I think it was Xyt that asked me about pools, and what he was saying was that it's good just because you get to play with more people. I guess I liked that thought on them, and decided it'd be cool if we did them.

4% APR

Smash Champion
they help seed the bracket and yes, you do get to play more people. It definitely wouldn't be a bad idea to have them

.Rance.

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I know what they do :laugh:

I was just talking about the inner workings of them.

It's a round robin with however many people, then you end up with a list of those people from best to worst, right?

So, if you have that list you just go through and manually seed people into a bracket?

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
2-tone that marth is real solid, keep playing dude, the only advice i have is to sometimes just stop swinging and start walking around all dope style like once u got em in shield it looks funny plus is good pressure if u do it right.
I know what you mean. I've tried the "walk around" tactic a couple of times and it just screws me up. I was taught to always be moving so now it's a staple in my game. Plus everyone (save for one) in our crew is pretty technical and I taught myself a lot of that so it manifests in my matches as shffl'd aerials, waveland tricks and a lot of dash-dancing to bait and it usually puts me in a bad spot. So, I'm gonna try to calm down a bit.

Btw, yes, pools would be awesome. You get to play more people and see where you stand in the rankings a bit. Yes, sometimes pools make people feel bad when they're put at the bottom of the list for seeding but, I mean, anyone who takes that to heart needs to grow a pair.

Also, if these are made only melee, you can expect me at, like, every single one of them for the rest of forever.(small exaggeration)

soap

Smash Hero
pools r awesome, i loved them back in my scrubby days cuz going 2 and out is depressing and u dont get much experience for your money. pools of 8-10 top 4 make it out work best i think

what i mean is dont just swing above the shield immediately + constantly, even though u are safe if u space well marth spam pressure is easy to wavedash out of shield or just roll away from and after u worked so hard to get good position and they just escape, u get em in shield at tipper range just chillax and wait for a roll/sidestep... but sometimes u get a jumpy fox so just keep swinging, it depends u know.. i usually wait then try to call the jump...the lazy marth works best when combined with ultra smooth marth as a type of change of pace, i do it with sheik too but its better with marth cuz he has all that range that covers more options at the same time. but still your marth is looking good in the combos/punishment department

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
Man, I can't wait to see how badly I got ***** by Swift in those vids. I haven't played that crappy since Reside fronzled my Fox in Indianapolis with his ICs last February.

your marth is looking good in the combos/punishment department
yeah, I kind of pride myself on those two areas but, one problem with my marth is sometimes I get so focused on long, complicated combos that I forget that I have to KILL the opponent. So usually my kills come off of a well placed tipper or really gay edge-guarding. But even when edge-guarding I try to be too fancy sometimes, lol. I'm going to work a bit on that and hopefully produce better results at Season's Beatings.

Big_R

Smash Champion
for the record winner's bracket is the place to play bigr.

i just realize i **** on brinstar. i even beat sliq there. ppl should stop takin me to that dumb place

Big_R

Smash Champion
JOHNZZZZ

so where's me doin some laser work then bigrstar work then slight work u lied to meeee!!

aquteen

Smash Ace
STORM JOHNS

anyways I have power back now but not internet (posting from my school) but weather or not I get internet back the crew vid will be uploaded this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! ! ! ! 111

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
Can't wait to see crews. I kinda walked off in a huff when I lost so I didn't get to see how it ended. who finally ended up taking out Swift?

.Rance.

Smash Apprentice
Someone got too ****ed up last night to think clearly, so they won't be uploading the crews till around 2pm tomorrow. (It was actually uncomfortable to be around him he was so bad.)

D

Deleted member

Someone got too ****ed up last night to think clearly, so they won't be uploading the crews till around 2pm tomorrow. (It was actually uncomfortable to be around him he was so bad.)
Man he was (is) messed up.

Hey everyone this is the first time I've been able to post since the tourny, great matches with everyone I played, I obviously need a lot of work and practice to even compete with some of you guys.

Most notable matchs: Reside you 3 stocked my Fox with ICs, first chaingrabbing IC player I've played in a while. I had to get out the Ganon to even it up =)
Quivo- Your Fox was looking great and technical, welcome back to melee.
Soap- We got owned in doubles, hopefully we can fair better against you next time.

QUIVO

Smash Master
Thanks man, Melee is too good. I decided I want to play both games with Brawl having a little more priority.

BlueDogChronicles

Smash Cadet
Yeah that was bad, but hey, at least he was working on it a little. I got to see some Young Link doing some mean things to characters.

Soap- Good matches, you ***** my Doc, but Ganon did good enough for me to be happy.
Big R- Fun playing you, made me realize that I really need to practice.
D20- Your Young Link made me try him out when I get the chance.
Drephen- Eh, I only played you in teams, but it was nice playing a Sheik, none of my friends do.

Everyone else I played- Sorry I can't get names, but its been a while. Thanks for coming and I hope you make it to the next one.

aquteen

Smash Ace
people need to stop ragging on me........

but ya I only had internet for 5 mins yesterday and it does not look like it's coming back on any time soon so I'm gonna have to upload it from school during one of my free periods.

D

Deleted member

Heck yes finally got internet net hells yea. Hey lets go gb (kidding)

aquteen

Smash Ace
So here it is

Crew Battle Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBXU_c8a714
Crew Battle Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jbDhs-DZg
Crew Battle Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gn5h68il3c
Crew Battle Part 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbD0sL5DYYo
Crew Battle Part 5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cWkcQulaqM
Crew Battle Part 6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjJKce0zcIw

sorry for the crappy quality but at this point I just wanted to get them uploaded
later on I will upload higher quality ones
if there are any mistakes like players names and such post them and I will have it chanced for the higher quality ones.

Top Bottom